Star Trek Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WhoDeyBengals
    Man, Battlestar... I keep meaning to get into that series, but I just can't find the time.

Well, they just finished up the 2nd season and the 3rd won't start until October. So you have a little time if you want to get caught up before then.

One thing I would suggest is to NOT jump in the middle.

Watch it from the begining, including the important miniseries that sets everything up.

BSG is a hugly arc driven show. Jumping in the middle may just confuse you and turn you off to it.

You can Netflix the series if you don't wish to buy it on DVD.

Comment

I loved the Star Trek Movies.

Too bad it is all done now though. Since Nemesis didn't do so well in the Box Office Paramount bought out the Roddenberry's and in the next film are making their own 'version' of Star Trek.
      The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Knight
        Well, they just finished up the 2nd season and the 3rd won't start until October. So you have a little time if you want to get caught up before then.

One thing I would suggest is to NOT jump in the middle.

Watch it from the begining, including the important miniseries that sets everything up.

BSG is a hugly arc driven show. Jumping in the middle may just confuse you and turn you off to it.

You can Netflix the series if you don't wish to buy it on DVD.
        What do you mean jumping into the middle MAY confuse..................

I've seen the lot and I'm still confused
        The Whiskyteers ~ One for all, and all for MORE!!!!

Broncomania Best Foreign Poster
        BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29
        You'll Never Walk Alone

Spiffing sig, MasterShake :cheers:

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Maybe Slowick should pay attention

Comment

Originally posted by Den21-Bal19
          What do you mean jumping into the middle MAY confuse..................

I've seen the lot and I'm still confused

Without giving away any spoilers, what are you confused about?

It seems pretty straight forward to me.

Comment

First of all, WhoDey, you're a geek! Good on ya, mate!

Second, Star Trek is very tired. That's too bad because generally I liked the show. TNG had some excellent episodes and story arcs. DS9 was so unfairly treated and was a great show. Voyager was a good premise that didn't really gell until they went Borgy (HELLO Seven!).

I really wasn't interested in Enterprise and I didn't think the stories were that great. Pretty much the only reason I watched was because there were some compelling characters (well, and a HOT vulcan).

Generations and First Contact were great ST films, IMO. After that, I wasn't much moved. I also got real tired of Data, and as someone pointed out, the superconcentration on Picard & Data (as their duo, not that I thought there was too much Picard). I also thought the B4 was terribly contrived. From what I've read, there isn't going to be a movie for a very long time (or even). Or a series for that matter.

I don't want to go back or in between. I want to see what happens NEXT. I'd love to see a series or a movie that was an ADVENTURE, or has an adventurous premise. I'd love to see an 'allstar cast' and I'd love to see something very dynamic in the Federation and the first thing that comes to mind is a war serial. I thought the Dominion War really captured and maintained audiences.

In the absence of new shows though, I know there are books as well as fanfiction. Right now though, I'm content with BSG (October??? Are you KIDDING ME?!?) and my Firefly and Space: Above and Beyond DVD sets.
            Victory and defeat are matters of the temporary force of circumstance.

Thanks, Snk16!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldritch

Second, Star Trek is very tired. That's too bad because generally I liked the show. TNG had some excellent episodes and story arcs. DS9 was so unfairly treated and was a great show. Voyager was a good premise that didn't really gell until they went Borgy (HELLO Seven!).

I really wasn't interested in Enterprise and I didn't think the stories were that great. Pretty much the only reason I watched was because there were some compelling characters (well, and a HOT vulcan).

Generations and First Contact were great ST films, IMO. After that, I wasn't much moved. I also got real tired of Data, and as someone pointed out, the superconcentration on Picard & Data (as their duo, not that I thought there was too much Picard). I also thought the B4 was terribly contrived. From what I've read, there isn't going to be a movie for a very long time (or even). Or a series for that matter.

I don't want to go back or in between. I want to see what happens NEXT. I'd love to see a series or a movie that was an ADVENTURE, or has an adventurous premise. I'd love to see an 'allstar cast' and I'd love to see something very dynamic in the Federation and the first thing that comes to mind is a war serial. I thought the Dominion War really captured and maintained audiences.

In the absence of new shows though, I know there are books as well as fanfiction. Right now though, I'm content with BSG (October??? Are you KIDDING ME?!?) and my Firefly and Space: Above and Beyond DVD sets.
              *sigh* You caught me. I probably have your geekdom eclipsed, though I won't explain how.
              HEAR ME ROAR!
              sigpic
              Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Comment

Right now though, I'm content with BSG (October??? Are you KIDDING ME?!?) and my Firefly and Space: Above and Beyond DVD sets.

Yeah, October is a hella long ways away.

That's the first time used the word "hella" so you know I mean business.

Comment

*sigh* You caught me. I probably have your geekdom eclipsed, though I won't explain how.

Action figures?

Comment

Action figures?
                    No, although a while ago, I used to sell McFarlanes online. I've never collected action figures.

rpgs
                    HEAR ME ROAR!
                    sigpic

Comment

No, although a while ago, I used to sell McFarlanes online. I've never collected action figures.

rpgs

Haha, I used to play Final Fantasy alot but that's pretty much the extent of my rpg experience.

I was seriously addicted to Final Fantasy XI online for awhile though.

It got pretty bad.

Comment

Haha, I used to play Final Fantasy alot but that's pretty much the extent of my rpg experience.

I was seriously addicted to Final Fantasy XI online for awhile though.

It got pretty bad.
                        Final fantasy started getting crappy when they rolled IX out. X was awful, and X-2 was even worse. I have no desire to get sucked into a MMORPG - this board sucks away enough of my life. I don't need a video game actively consuming the very essence of my being.
                        HEAR ME ROAR!
                        sigpic

Comment

I agree with you completely. When they announced they would do the series of Enterprise and go back to the beginning I was like ho hum. I too want to see what happens NEXT!! Let's keep this moving forward.

I would like to see an entirely new species introduced. For example, who sent the probe to earth to talk with the whales in the 4th movie "The Voyage Home"?

They could really score big on some new enemy or even ali with totally bizarre twists. After all, this is fantasy fiction and the door is open for new ideas to keep the die hard Trekkies happy and bring back those who have given up on it.

Just a thought.
                          :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69
                            I agree with you completely. When they announced they would do the series of Enterprise and go back to the beginning I was like ho hum. I too want to see what happens NEXT!! Let's keep this moving forward.

I would like to see an entirely new species introduced. For example, who sent the probe to earth to talk with the whales in the 4th movie "The Voyage Home"?

They could really score big on some new enemy or even ali with totally bizarre twists. After all, this is fantasy fiction and the door is open for new ideas to keep the die hard Trekkies happy and bring back those who have given up on it.

Just a thought.

They introduce new Aliens in every series though.

What they really neede to do was shake up the format like they did when the introduced DS9.

Enterprise was just a Voyager lite.

And Voyager was TNG lite.

Deep Space Nine started off rocky but later proved that changing up the format was a refreshing and brillant move that truely took Trek to where it's never gone before.

There was at one time a huge push to have a show that was centered around Star Fleet cadets. They would have called it "Star Fleet" Academy or something. And though I wasn't particularly found of that idea, I did think that it would be at least different.

The long story arcs that Enterprise had later in it's run were off to the right start, it just came in WAY too late when Trek fans finally had enough of the same old same ol.

Comment

I love Star Trek!

Always have! I used to come home and watch it on Channel 4 after school when I was a wee little one.

Didnt really even think about for years until Star Trek II came out, and I became hooked! I started taping the old episodes on Channel 2 at 10 o'clock, and managed to get them all.

One day this catalog came to my house, offering Star Trek stuff! Of course, I ordered a few things. After a while I decided to just call em and see if I could save on shipping as this place was local. Starland. Well, one thing led to another, and I started working there. They put me to their trivia test, and I passed with flying colors, lol.

What a job! Mostly I stocked stuff, and packed stuff for the boss to take to conventions. Did you know, at least 15 years ago, somewhere in the country there was a ST convention every weekend! And the stuff sold like hotcakes! They put on two a year here, Starfest and Starcon. They were a blast, and working for them I got to meet some of the stars. I think they still do the conventions.

But the best one was probably the 25th anniversary convention in LA. EVERYONE came for that! And there was this Star Trek Adventure at Universal Studios. My boss and I actually got picked to be in the show on opening day! They grabbed people out of the audience to participate. He was a Stiff, and I got to work the arms of the monster. Not a big part, but I did get in the credits. I still have the tape! Terrible quality, lol.

Someday Star Trek will make a return, and all my stuff will be worth something again. (crossing fingers)

Well, thats a small slice of my Star Trek story.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawgfan
                                I loved the Star Trek Movies.

Too bad it is all done now though. Since Nemesis didn't do so well in the Box Office Paramount bought out the Roddenberry's and in the next film are making their own 'version' of Star Trek.
                                Now that is an interesting thing. But making their own "version" would not increase their market value. Characters are the most appealing angle of the ST movies and how we have all come to know them. I certainly hope they don't attempt to introduce an entirely new cast.
                                :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X