Fleetwood Mac - The Green Manalishi ?

Comment

Originally posted by Invesco
      Fleetwood Mac - The Green Manalishi ?
      Right song

Judas Priest or Fleetwood Mac would have been correct

Bravo, CP for you

Comment

I like Fleetwood Mac's rendition better.

Thanks.

Comment

guess my lick and Superchop may give you cp .........I'll give you >>> and......

song title and group
          "I'm 22 for the moment, and she feels better than ever."
          Emancipate your mind!
          The People's Poster

Comment

Originally posted by Invesco
            I like Fleetwood Mac's rendition better.

Thanks.

Sucks that I didn't see this thread sooner................. I'll take Judas Priest's version any day, though........ especially the live version from "Unleashed in the East".
            My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Comment

"I'm feelin left behind, lord what a waste of time"

Comment

Originally posted by keithbishop
                Sucks that I didn't see this thread sooner................. I'll take Judas Priest's version any day, though........ especially the live version from "Unleashed in the East".
                __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

CP for knowing the best version of song and title of CD it came from.

Comment

Originally posted by Superchop7
                  __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

CP for knowing the best version of song and title of CD it came from.

CP owed (but I've given out too much CP in the last 24 hrs.) to you for the question. It was a rare " OH, OH....... I KNOW THAT ONE!!!!!!!" question for this old Metalhead and #1 Judas Priest fan.

Thank You to Judas Priest for being Metal despite it's current unpopularity.
                  I highly recommend their new DVD " Rising In the East' to all JP fans.

Unfortunately, "Green Manalishi (With the 2-pronged Crown)" isn't on the DVD, but "Hot Rockin' ", Exciter, and "Beyond The Realms Of Death" are amongst the older gems. When will they play "Tyrant" live again????

Comment

CP owed (but I've given out too much CP in the last 24 hrs.) to you for the question. It was a rare " OH, OH....... I KNOW THAT ONE!!!!!!!" question for this old Metalhead and #1 Judas Priest fan.

Thank You to Judas Priest for being Metal despite it's current unpopularity.
                    I highly recommend their new DVD " Rising In the East' to all JP fans.

Unfortunately, "Green Manalishi (With the 2-pronged Crown)" isn't on the DVD, but "Hot Rockin' ", Exciter, and "Beyond The Realms Of Death" are amongst the older gems. When will they play "Tyrant" live again????
                    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

My best "Green Manalishi" moment came when I was driving back home for Christmas (Kelso, Wa) as I got near Portland I turned on KGON.

The DJ said that he was going to play one of his all-time favorite "Christmas" songs.

I almost changed the station.

Then he played Green Manalishi.

It was good to be home.

Comment

My JP DVD review from a Yankees Fan site

Topic: New Judas Priest DVD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      On the music front, to each their own. Having proclaimed my love for the Ramones (and Punk in general), love it or hate it, I'm a life-long metalhead. I respect other forms of music....as long as they are well written......50's/60's rock had it's share of great songs..... but, other than Punk (R.I.P.--it died with the Ramones) and extreme death/black/speed Metal bands that most here haven't heard of.....my main love has always been the 70's/80's Heavy Metal the likes of Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and THE MIGHTY JUDAS PRIEST. I won't go on a rant here, but Black Sabbath hasn't been "Black Sabbath" in years......guitarist Tony Iommi returned to his blues roots.....keeping the name Black Sabbath for several years......but left Metal behind (OK by me for one of my 3 favorite guitarists....more on the other 2 later). Ozzy needs to be put to sleep. I'm thankful to have never watched any "reality" shows, but from what I hear, it would be hard for someone to embarass himself more than Ozzy has done, which goes hand-in-hand with the fact that the last good song he wrote was about 20 years ago...... RETIRE!!! GO AWAY!!!! SOMETHING !!! Iron Maiden....... great in the 80's..... no comment on the 90's....... I heard a song a few years back from their "reunion"album.....liked it, bought the CD...... I believe there was an old English quote.."one good song doth not a great album make".....the rest was horrible. There was this other great band from the 80's.....I saw them open for Ozzy once upon a time in 1987.....great show...... I won't name them, but I regret the fact that, after alienating their early fans by becoming a Rock band to collect their Million$.....they left the word "Metal" as the first part of their name . Drop the "Metal", replace it with "Rock" and have fun playing your Bob Seeger covers. Until then, consider yourselves "unforgiven" by this former fan ..............which brings us to the band who stayed METAL through the 70's/80's/90's.......through their 2005 album and 2006 DVD followup.....JUDAS PRIEST.

Yes, Priest has had their down moments..... from ridiculous lawsuits....to "made for the MTV generation" back-to-back disastrous albums in 1986 ("Turbo" featuring 3 [and I'm being generous]listenable songs )and 1988 ("Ram it Down", with 2 listenable songs plus a great guitar intro for another). I had all but turned my back on Judas Priest after the 1988 disaster...... but decided to give them one last shot on the day their 1990 album "Painkiller"was released. As the 80's neared an end, I was getting into progresively heavier music....... and was hooked from the beginning of the title track of the album, arguably Priest's heaviest. Unfortunately, the lawsuits and 16 plus years of touring together drove the band apart. 1997 brought the first of 3 Judas Priest albums without original vocalist Rob Halford...... and, though I enjoyed all 3 albums (loved 2 of them), things just weren't the same. The vocalist, Tim "Ripper" Owens, sounded remarkably like Halford..... in fact, the lame movie "Rock Star", with Mark Wahlberg and Jennifer Aniston was based on Owens, who went from a Judas Priest tribute band to being Priest's frontman. The 3rd album with Owens, 2001's "Demolition" was a step back from 1997's 'Jugulator" . The 97' album was followed up by a live CD......the 2001 album was followed up by an excellent 2002 DVD. Rob Halford formed a couple of bands in his absence from Priest.....even a 2001 live CD featuring some strong versions of Judas Priest songs....... but as good as 'Halford" and the (Halford-less) Judas Priest sounded, it wasn't the same as the REAL Judas Priest, which reformed in 2004. Judas Priest (original members Rob Halford, guitarists Glenn Tipton and KK Downing and bassist Ian Hill ......plus drummer Scott Travis, a member of Priest since 1990's "Painkiller") toured for quite some time before their strong 2005 release, "Angel Of Retribution", featuring tracks like "Judas Rising", "Demonizer" and, the album's best track, "Hellrider", heavy enough for the most devoted Metalhead.

I did say this was about the new DVD, didn't I?? Well, any Judas Priest fan would be pleased with the "Rising in the East" DVD, a celebration of over 30 years of Judas Priest. Judas Priest's 1st album was in 1974, but this is no over-the-hill effort. Despite the age of the founding 4, this DVD is a masterpiece encompassing all points of Judas Priest's career.
                      --Continued in Part 2--

Comment

Re: New Judas Priest DVD
                        « Reply #1 on Feb 14, 2006, 8:07pm »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        As Black Sabbath re-defined the term "Heavy Metal" with their 1970 debut album, Judas Priest guitarists Glenn Tipton and KK Downing changed the face of dual-lead guitar bands. Casting their egos aside, they remain best friends after playing together for over 32 years...... pushing each other to excellence with a self described "Great Solo!!! Top this one!!!" effort over the years. They were great guitarists in 1974......... they have no comparison in 2006, getting better AND more aggressive in their songwriting and soloing over the years. Anyone in need of proof merely needs to see or hear them play "Hellrider" from 2005's "Angel of Retribution". Yes, by the way, Judas Priest DOES continue to write songs about Metal and motorcycles....... fine by me..... they remain JUDAS PRIEST after all these years. I can't pick a favorite..... as soon as I would say Tipton is my favorite, Downing plays a blistering lead to even things up. They compliment each other's styles as well as they push each other to excellence. Though both are incredibly technically proficient, Tipton is perhaps the more melodic of the 2.....and makes every solo he plays look effortless, despite the devastating speed and flurry of notes..............Downing is the "Nastier" of the 2, favoring the 'Wah" pedal and heavy doses of "whammy bar" abuse.
                        It's funny that I used to make fun of a former Priest drummer, Dave Holland, for looking like Andy Travis form "WKRP in Cincinnati" in Priest's 1986 live video............ and the current drummers name is Scott Travis (after 16 years with Judas Priest, he's not a new member). I always viewed Holland as Judas Priest's weak link, but Scott Travis is by far the best drummer they have had (2 drummers played on 1 album each....... the rest were played by Travis, Holland, and the one with the most "Metal" name ....... LES BINKS......... the phrase "Les Binks, Metal Drummer", still makes me giggle, but he was a close second to Scott Travis in terms of playing skills). Quick Les Binks story involving one of Priest's most popular songs "Beyond the Realms of Death". Having never been spotted playing a guitar before this point in 1978, Les picked up a guitar during a break in practice........ played what became the music for "Beyond the Realms....", set the guitar down, and walked away......neither wanting to discuss the masterpiece he had written.....nor picking up a guitar in the other members presence again. He was said to have been a strange one...........
                        Scott Travis is by far the fastest and heaviest of Priest's drummers..... allowing them to cross into heavier material like "Painkiller" and "Hellrider"...... there is certainly no shortage of fast double-bass with Travis.....great drum-fills and beats....as well as sticking to the way the older songs were written. Bassist Ian Hill is OK...... he IS a founding member...... but he plays bass as a backgound instrument, not a featured instrument like Geezer Butler of the original Black Sabbath did. That being said, I'm glad Hill is still around......he did have some strong bass lines in the 1970's...... and he certainly earned his place in the band years ago. Rob Halford delivers the strongest vocals on the planet. Although he doesn't hit AS MANY of the high notes as I've been accustomed to hearing on the DVD, he can still deliver the glass-shattering "is it live or is it memorex?" type notes. His mid-range vocals have always been strong.......and he is THE frontman for Judas Priest, a role Tim "Ripper" Owens wasn't quite comfortable in the role of , IMO.

The filmwork is by far the best in Judas Priest's career, but, minor complaint, there were several good drummer closeups, but none from BEHIND the drum kit, THE place to view a Metal show from.The performance is perfect before a sold out Budokan stadium in Tokyo, Japan (May 2005)......Glenn Tipton and KK Downing steal the show, but Rob Halford and Scott Travis are incredible as well. Set highlights are:
                        "The Hellion/Electric Eye"--always the best opening intro/song........ "The Ripper"-- heavy as ever after 30 years..... "Judas Rising" --great new song....."Diamonds and Rust"--accoustical version, like they did on the 2002 DVD and 1998 live CD (though I prefer the 1977 album/1979 live album version) ....."Beyond the Realms of Death"--classic Priest......"Hellrider"--my favorite off the new album....."Victim of Changes"--signature Judas Priest song, gets better with each listen......"Painkiller"-- it's a tossup whether "Painkiller" or "Jugulator" is Priest's heaviest song ever, but "Jugulator" was from the Tim Owens years......."Hell Bent For Leather"--complete with mandatory Harley ridden onstage by Halford....... and a couple of surprises they haven't played live in some time, "Exciter" and "Hot Rockin' ".
                        The song list encompasses nearly every point of Priest's career, THOUGH MY FAVORITE SONGS, "THE SENTINEL" AND "TYRANT" WEREN'T CHOSEN. To be fair, it would be tough to pare their songs down to a 23-song set, which checks in at 2 hours in length. Solution: take your vitamins and play a 3-hour set next time (only kidding...... a Rock band could play a longer set, but drummer Scott Travis would be hard-pressed to meet the physical demands of playing a longer set of METAL songs...... very hard on the drummer in comparison to other forms of music). I would have liked for them to have played "Jugulator" or "Blood Stained" from the Tim "Ripper" Owens years, but am afraid they won't play songs from that era in the future.

The entire set list, in order of the year the song was written, not the actual order of the DVD (which opens with "Hellion/Electric Eye, as previously stated....and closes with "You've Got Another Thing Coming").........

1.Diamonds and Rust --From 1974's Rocka Rolla (also 1977's Sin After Sin)

2,3.The Ripper and Victim of Changes--From 1976's Sad Wings Of Destiny (Tied with 1984's Defenders Of The Faith as Priest's best studio album..... 1979's Unleashed In The East [a live album] is my favorite overall)

4,5.Exciter and Beyond The Realms Of Death--From 1978's Stained Class

6.Hell Bent For Leather--Title track from their 1979 studio Album

7,8,9.Breaking The Law, Metal Gods and Living After Midnight--From 1980's British Steel

10.Hot Rockin'--from 1981's Point Of Entry

11,12,13,14.Hellion/Electric Eye, Riding On The Wind, and You've Got Another Thing Coming--from 1982's Screaming For Vengeance

15.Turbo Lover--From 1986's Turbo

16.I'm A Rocker--(lame name/decent song) From 1988's Ram It Down

17,18.Painkiller and Touch Of Evil--From 1990's Painkiller

19, 20, 21, 22, 23Judas Rising, Hellrider, Revolution, Deal With The Devil, and Worth Fighting For--From 2005's Angel Of Retribution.

A bit of news--Judas Priest has begun work on a new studio album.

************************************************** ************************************************** ****************************
                        Note-- Rob Halford and Glenn Tipton were not FOUNDING members of JP (KK Downing and Ian Hill were). Halford and Downing had, however, joined JP by the time their 1st album was released in 1974. Yes, I repeat....... 1974!!!!

Comment

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

My best "Green Manalishi" moment came when I was driving back home for Christmas (Kelso, Wa) as I got near Portland I turned on KGON.

The DJ said that he was going to play one of his all-time favorite "Christmas" songs.

I almost changed the station.

Then he played Green Manalishi.

It was good to be home.
                          Cool story....... I decided to post my review of JP's new DVD.

Comment

Cool story....... I decided to post my review of JP's new DVD.
                            __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

You have just fired up an old-priest fan.

For the younger gen, go to a show, watch KK and Glenn show you how it's done, you'll be glad you did.

Comment

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

You have just fired up an old-priest fan.

For the younger gen, go to a show, watch KK and Glenn show you how it's done, you'll be glad you did.

Glad to hear............... I HAD to watch " Hot Rockin' " as I copied/pasted my review. The DVD is AMAZING...... I will watch some of it with my 7-year old son again tonight. His favorite songs are "Turbo Lover" (not one of Daddy's favorites, but it's OK now that I don't have to hear it 5 times a day at work on the radio) , "Painkiller"--YES!!!!!!! THAT'S MY BOY!!!!!!!!!!! and the new song "HELLRIDER"

PM me about any JP stuff if you'd like to....................... and could you recommend someone who could make me a JP logo small enough for my avatar??

Comment

Working...
                              X