• Show
Clear All

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...71nifong1.html

The Smoking Gun is there.
    HEAR ME ROAR!
    sigpic
    Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Comment

Disgusting to think that despite being advised on numerous occasions that the DNA did not match ANY lacrosse players, Nifong went ahead with his lynching!
      President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
      I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

Comment

Duke lacrosse charges to be dropped

Updated: 12:39 a.m. ET April 11, 2007

RALEIGH, N.C. - The three men indicted in the Duke lacrosse sexual assault case will have charges of first degree kidnapping and first degree forcible sexual offense dismissed against them, ABC News reported Tuesday night.

Collin Finnerty, Reade Seligmann and David Evans were indicted on charges of rape, kidnapping and sexual offense last spring after a woman told police she was assaulted at a March 2006 team party where she was hired to perform as a stripper.

The players had also been indicted for first degree rape, but that charge was was dismissed in December after the accuser changed a key detail in her story, and Nifong recused himself a few weeks later after the state bar charged him with several ethics violations tied to his handling of the case.

The office of Attorney General Roy Cooper did not give ABC News a reason for the dismissal.

No motions or court papers were filed in the case on Tuesday.

The attorney general’s office, which has said for several weeks it was close to completing its investigation since taking the case from the district attorney, has wrapped up the additional interviews, the Associated Press reported on Tuesday.

I adopted Skywalker

Comment

In a way I hope these young men can now get on with their lives and complete their education without any trouble. However I would not be at all shocked or surprised if they turned round and spent the next few years suing just about everyone involved in this case who was against them. They have so many options. The prosecutor who was completely out of line in his way of handling the case. The news media for all the slander and of course the woman who claimed this happend. Or how about all these people who got involved with the case who had absolutly no business sticking their noses in. Mr Jackson for instance.
          "On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high."
          Ayrton Senna..

Comment

Hopefully, they can get on with their lives and complete their education without any more trouble. There was a Naval Academy QB that was charged with rape and later acquitted (the girl was so drunk, she couldn't remember if she consented or not). They kicked him out of the Academy so his Naval career is gone.
            Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Well the young woman has had her education paid for so I guess she's okay.

Too bad she potentially ruined the lives of these men, and the reputation of the Duke LaCrosse programme and LaCrosse in general.

I adopted Skywalker

Comment

Originally posted by Kapaibro
                Well the young woman has had her education paid for so I guess she's okay.

Too bad she potentially ruined the lives of these men, and the reputation of the Duke LaCrosse programme and LaCrosse in general.

Isnt it just "lacrosse?"
                Rest in Peace, Darrent and Damien. You will be forever in our thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by SmithOverTO
                  Isnt it just "lacrosse?"
                  THAT'S what you pick up on? The way I write it?

Wow!

I adopted Skywalker

Comment

An Unbelievable Day

North Carolina's attorney general did more than drop the charges against the Duke lacrosse players. In a move seldom seen in the annals of American law, he gave the accused their reputations back.

By Stuart Taylor, Jr. Newsweek
                    Updated: 9:49 p.m. ET April 11, 2007

April 11, 2007 - It was an extraordinary event in American legal history.

Duke lacrosse teammates Dave Evans, Reade Seligmann and Colin Finnerty knew that North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper was going to drop the sensational sexual assault case against them. But how would Cooper explain it? Would he just say that the charges were not provable beyond a reasonable doubt-which some saw as the safest way out for the attorney general politically-and leave their reputations in limbo? Or would he say the word they were waiting for?

Six paragraphs into his statement, Cooper ended their agony: “We believe these three individuals are innocent of these charges.” Innocent. Watching on TV, the defendants and their parents, teammates, and friends burst into cheers.

Cooper did not stop there. “We have no credible evidence that an attack occurred in that house that night,” he said. “The eyewitness identification procedures were faulty and unreliable. No DNA confirms the accuser’s story. No other witness confirms her story. Other evidence contradicts her story. She contradicts herself. ”

The attorney general had done what prosecutors almost never do, and what many of the falsely accused students’ supporters had feared could never be done: He gave them their reputations back.

Cooper’s special prosecutions unit took the case over on January 13, after Durham District Attorney Mike Nifong withdrew to focus on defending himself against disbarment proceedings brought by the North Carolina State Bar. The Bar’s complaint accuses Nifong of (among other things) scheming with his DNA expert to hide powerful scientific evidence of innocence from the defense and with lying repeatedly to the court, the defense, the public, and the state bar itself. Cooper said that Nifong’s conduct “shows the enormous consequences of overreaching by a prosecutor,” adding that “in the rush to condemn, a community and a state lost the ability to see clearly.”

With Nifong leading the assault, the three young scholar-athletes had been smeared from coast to coast as thugs, racists, and probable rapists-by dozens of their own professors, by black and feminist leaders, and by many in the news media, for the better part of a year.

Nobody but cranks and haters will ever be able to hurl those lies at them again.
                    At a defense press conference later in the day, the three defendants and their lawyers mixed eloquent testimonials to one another with expressions of anger-forcefully articulated by defense lawyer Joseph B. Cheshire V-at the Duke professors, journalists, and others who had so eagerly joined Nifong’s mob. But they also spoke thoughtfully of a broader lesson: If affluent young men able to afford the best legal talent in the business could be victimized in this way, imagine what must happen every day to countless poor defendants who lack the means to fight back against bad prosecutors and cops.

“This has opened my eyes up to a tragic world of injustice that I had never imagined,” Reade Seligman told a ballroom full of reporters, teammates, and others. “We all need to take a step back from this case and learn from it.”

To prevent similar persecution of others, Roy Cooper called for a new law giving the state Supreme Court the authority to remove a case from a prosecutor who has shown himself unfit to continue handling it. Dave Evans and Collin Finnerty called for reforming the grand jury system to make it a real check on prosecutorial abuses; under current law, grand juries are rubber stamps, because prosecutors control what evidence they can hear and allow no transcript that would help keep them honest.

“Sweet are the uses of adversity,” added defense lawyer Wade Smith, quoting Shakespeare. “They have been tested in great fires,” he said of the three defendants, “and something great will come of this.”

I adopted Skywalker

Comment

• D.A. apologizes to ex-Duke lacrosse players
                      'I apologize to the three students that were wrongly accused,' Nifong says

Updated: 8:25 p.m. ET April 12, 2007
                      DURHAM, N.C. - The local prosecutor who charged three Duke lacrosse players with raping a stripper apologized to the athletes Thursday and said the North Carolina attorney general’s decision to drop the case was right.

“To the extent that I made judgments that ultimately proved to be incorrect, I apologize to the three students that were wrongly accused,” Durham County District Attorney Mike Nifong said.

On Wednesday, Attorney General Roy Cooper not only dropped all remaining charges against the players Reade Seligmann, Collin Finnerty and David Evans, but pronounced them innocent and said they were the victims of Nifong’s “tragic rush to accuse.” Cooper branded Nifong a “rogue” prosecutor who was guilty of “overreaching.”

“I have every confidence that the decision to dismiss all the charges was the correct decision based on that evidence,” Nifong said.

In what appeared to be a plea to the athletes not to take any further action, such as a lawsuit, he said: “It is my sincere desire that the actions of Attorney General Cooper will serve to remedy any remaining injury that has resulted from these cases.”

Nifong refused to answer any questions after handing the statement to an Associated Press reporter outside his office in Durham.

Seligmann’s attorney, Jim Cooney, responded bitterly to the apology.

“You can accept an apology from someone who knows all the facts and simply makes an error,” Cooney said. “If a person refuses to know all the facts and then makes a judgment, that’s far worse — particularly when that judgment destroys lives.”

Nifong stressed that it was his own decision to remove himself from the case that gave Cooper’s office the opportunity to review the evidence against the athletes.

“If I did not want to subject ... my own performance to such scrutiny — if, in other words, I had anything to hide — I could have simply dismissed the cases myself,” he said. “The fact that I instead chose to seek that review should, in and of itself, call into question the characterizations of this prosecution as ‘rogue’ and ‘unchecked.”’

Finnerty’s father, Kevin Finnerty, said Nifong’s “attempt at an apology” was “disingenuous and insincere.”

“It falls well short of whatever it might take to even remotely repair the damage he has inflicted on so many people,” Finnerty said.

When asked if he accepted the apology, Finnerty said: “I do not. Too little, too late.”

Evans’ attorney, Joseph Cheshire, accused Nifong of engaging in “revisionist history” with his statement.

“It’s not an apology. It’s an excuse. It’s an attempt at an excuse,” Cheshire said. “It’s not an acceptance of responsibility. It’s a self-serving attempt to excuse bad behavior.”

Also Thursday, Cooper said in an interview with CBS’ “60 Minutes” that will air this weekend that the accuser continued changing her story during his office’s review of the case.

“We started out knowing we had a problem ... and the way it turned out, it was much worse than we thought,” Cooper said in excerpts released by CBS. He also said he was offended by Nifong’s conduct.

What a lame excuse for an apology. My grandfather always said "If you're not actually sorry, then don't say you're sorry!"

I adopted Skywalker

Comment

Working...
                      X