X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• watchthemiddle
    replied
    Originally posted by Calif. Bronco
    After 14 years of teaching children I have come to the conclusion that the content of TV is far less harmful then the fact that it never goes off the air. I cannot tell you the amount of sleepy children I have in my class on a daily basis and the number one culprit is the television (of course it's really their parents who let them stay up as late as they want watching, but that's another can of worms entirely!)

Good points Calif....

I think it all comes down to the regulations put on the tv by the parents.

There are quality shows on tv, you just have to hunt for them.

Kind of like on here, there are quality threads on here, you just have to hunt for them.

Leave a comment:

• Calif. Bronco
    replied
    After 14 years of teaching children I have come to the conclusion that the content of TV is far less harmful then the fact that it never goes off the air. I cannot tell you the amount of sleepy children I have in my class on a daily basis and the number one culprit is the television (of course it's really their parents who let them stay up as late as they want watching, but that's another can of worms entirely!)

Leave a comment:

• BroncFanIN
    replied
    I think it all depends on how you regulate TV in your homes. The V chip can be used to block all but "G" rated programming for young children.

Some of the programming for young kids seems educational and enjoyable for them. But it goes too far when the TV is used as a babysitter.

I remember many times in my youth when my mom would turn off the TV and tell us to go play outside. We'd grumble but comply. And usually we had a lot more fun outside than zoning out in front of a TV

Leave a comment:

• Jaws
    replied
    Originally posted by Emancipator
    TV can be harmful if it explodes in your presence and burns your body.
    YEE - OUCH!

Leave a comment:

• Emancipator
    replied
    TV can be harmful if it explodes in your presence and burns your body.

Leave a comment:

• Jaws
    started a topic Is TV Harmful?

Is TV Harmful?

The issue of TV being harmful to society cropped up in one or two threads this week so I thought it would be interesting to consider this further. The following two articles present cases both for and against this medium:

The case for tv being beneficial: link

We feel that television viewing for children is not harmful. We feel that the viewing of television by children isn't going to cause a child to go out and act in a violent way, but that other factors attribute to the negative effects that children sometimes display.

Evidence for our position:

Violence is an everyday element that is seen on television in the news, on talkshows, sitcoms, cartoons, movies, etc. and there is no proof that the violent occurrences displayed on these television shows cause additional violence to occur. Violence can be used as a funny element such as when cartoon characters hit each other over the head with hammers and little birds or stars surround their head. Also, the show “The Three Stooges” would be a good example of violence used as humor. Generally no one would think twice about the violence displayed on these shows, but if they don't then how can they say that this violence is okay and other violence isn't okay. This raises the question of if violence or other elements shown on TV should be monitored and if so then who has the right to regulate what we watch. Also, If people start to regulate what we watch then the notion of if this is an infringement of our First Amendment Rights is brought up.

Viewing violence can be beneficial because it can serve as a good way to bring up difficult topics such as sex, rape, drug abuse, murders, etc. Viewing these topics on television may open communication between parents and siblings as they watch shows together. Parents can then try to explain their views on particular matters and try to instill their values into their children.

If we try to regulate what children see too much then we are making it harder for them to deal with obstacles later in life. If children aren't introduced to the effects of detrimental behavior they will not understand why preventative measures should be taken against these behaviors.

Our evidence against our opponent's position:

Television viewing has not been proven to be harmful to children. There has only been inconclusive evidence trying to blame television as the main proponent for violence that occurs with children. Television viewing doesn't actually cause violence, but that not discussing the issues seen or getting feedback from parents/adults is more of a factor. Parents need to be involved in their children's lives. They need to help them make the right choices and try to create an environment that will encourage these decisions. The article talks about how children who receive less nurturing from parents seem to appear more aggressive then children who receive more nurturing. Also, children who seem to be more aggressive tend to watch more aggressive television programming. Therefore, when parents are involved fewer problems will arise.

Conclusion:

There isn't conclusive evidence that watching television is harmful. Not everyone that watches violence or other issues brought about by television is going to become violent or dangerous to society. Yes, there are going to be some crazy people out there that will look to television for inspiration, but overall the right caring and nurturing environment will have more of an effect on a child then what the child sees TV.

The Case for TV being harmful link

Our Position

Is television viewing harmful for children? We believe that it is for the following reasons:

1. Children are spending too much time watching television.
    2. Many shows portray violence and aggression and the children have an instinctive desire to imitate, but do not have the ability to determine which behaviors ought to be imitated.
    3. There are negative influences regarding gender attitudes, behaviors, ethnic and occupational roles and standards of beauty, family life, and sexuality.
    4. Some health experts blame television for poor physical conditions of American adolescents.
    5. There are misinterpreted sexual and relationship messages
    6. Television also can be deceiving. It teaches that problems are easily resolved and everything turns out right in the end, when in real life that is not always true.

Evidence

Children are spending many hours in front of a television. For parents, it is a cheep babysitter. A preschooler will watch an average of twenty-seven hours a week. They are not involved in after school activities as much now days and just want to stay in front of their television.
    The violence on television is a major issue. Children's shows contain around twenty violent acts each hour. At the end of grade school they will have been exposed to over 100,000 violent acts on television. Preschoolers have a hard time understanding reality and fantasy. One example in Indiana, children were crawling through storm drains trying to find the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. They are more likely to act out at school, hit other playmates, and not finish tasks. Brandon Centerwall says children have an instinct desire to imitate behavior. Children act out violence seen on TV, and often continue to act that way when adults. George Gerbner Ph.D. at University of Pennsylvania, concluded children who watch a lot of violent TV will think the world as mean and dangerous. Research suggests there would be a lot fewer rapes, assaults and homicides if technology for TV had not developed.
    The negative influences from TV are how males and females are portrayed and minorities. Teen girls are shown to be concerned with fashion, dating, and shopping instead of education. Females are often portrayed as sexy and dressed provocatively. Men are over represented and females underrepresented. Minorities are less likely to have a positive role. They are shown to hold a lower status job and are often shown as criminals instead of victims. Latinos are very underrepresented on TV. Health issues show that adolescents who watch a lot of TV are overweight and less active.
    TV also shows sex as okay between unmarried couples and rarely discusses precautions. The content had increased over the years and is more explicit. Finally TV is very deceiving. It takes kids away from education, books, & activities. Teaches that problems are solved easily and quickly. TV is used to attract viewers and will show things that sell, no matter what the message is.

Evidence against opponents' position

We believe that our opponents will argue that the functions of television include providing information, entertainment, and portraying a world beyond the family, peers, and school. But it is argued and we believe that television trains an individual to become passive learners, which means that they lack energy or will to learn. This is because television rarely requires responses from the observer to prompt learning. It could also lead to a passive lifestyle. We also feel that they will argue that the effects of television violence are not large and do not conclude that violence from television caused aggressive behavior. We understand that this is true but we have found that this is true but the investigations are correctional. We cannot conclude that television violence directly causes individuals to be more aggressive, only that watching it is associated with an aggressive behavior.

Whereabouts do you stand on this issue?
    Last edited by Jaws; 04-22-2006, 03:05 AM.
Working...
X