Flight 93

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dawgfan
    That was a documentary. Not a motion picture like this movie is. Two completely different things altogether. Completely different.
    Exactly...

Comment

Originally posted by Southstander
      I will go see it, Let us not forget this is NOT the First movie about 9/11. We can thank a Michael Moore for that. Besided the familes of Flight 93 are behind it.

I do understand those of you who are not ready yet. I know I would feel the same why if it was fictionalized account of it, like "Pearl Harbor"

I preferred Tora Tora Tora myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Southstander
        Fahrenheit 911 was not a "Documentary", It contained more then 59 LIES please see below.

http://www.davekopel.com/Terror/Fift...enheit-911.htm

http://www.slate.com/id/2102723/

Again, please do not turn this into a political discussion that will just get closed or deleted.

Comment

Originally posted by SM19
          By extension, the makers of Schindler's List profited from the worst genocide in the history of the world, the makers of Hotel Rwanda profited from the deaths of nearly a million Tutsis. I'm not going to say yet that it's in the same category as those two films, but I'll at least see it before making that judgement. The fact is, any world-changing event will inspire films sooner or later, and September 11th was a world-changing event. The story of Flight 93 in particular is one of extraordinary heroism that will probably translate well to the big screen. I really don't see anything disgusting about it.
          Hotel Rwanda was made over a decade after the events that took place in it. Schindler's List was made half a century after the events. This movie is being made 5 years after the event. That is why it is viewed as cashing in on someone elses tragedy.
          The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Couple of notes.

1)Many family members and some direct participants (obviously not on the flight) were brought in. One major role was played by the actual guy. Many family members were brought in for a screening and the responses were positive.(In a very sad sort of way)

2)The company is donating a portion of the profits to a memorial fund that is being gathered for the field in Pennsylvania where the plane crashed.

3)Farenhiet 911 was not a documentary. I saw the film, in the theater, and then looked into it. It was a monumentally dishonest film by a dishonest man who thinks we are all stupid enough to buy his lies. (This is not a political statement but a critique of the film, and therefore should not violate any of the new conduct rules.)

I read a book called AMONG THE HEROES a couple of years ago that was about flight 93 and was so moved that I thought it should have been made into a movie. But only if it was done correctly. From what I have read, this movie appears to have been done correctly. So I will see it. If they made it like a disaster movie (Towering inferno or something) I would be upset. But I don't mind paying Hollywood to make important films. Done correctly, this would be the most important film of the last decade or so.

I am less optimitic about Oliver Stone's planned film about poeple trying to escape the twin towers. BUt he could surprise me.
            ----------------------------------------------------------------
            "…our brothers are silent, for they dare not speak the thoughts of their minds. For all must agree with all, and they cannot know if their thoughts are the thoughts of all, and so they fear to speak."

Anthem

Comment

Saw it.

This movie was stunning.

Very hard to watch but I am glad I saw it. I would not really say that I enjoyed it, but I did connect with it. It was very respectful, even to the terrorists. The violence was also respectfully done. They didn't show anything really graphic, just enough to let you know what happened. I had been concerned about that.

However, I don't reccomend this movie to anyone. It was good. It is probably the most important film I have seen in a decade or so. But I think people should decide for themselves if they are ready for it. If you are, it is a valuale experience. If not, don't go. Be aware, when we left the theater most of the people that came out were dazed. More than a few were crying.
              "…our brothers are silent, for they dare not speak the thoughts of their minds. For all must agree with all, and they cannot know if their thoughts are the thoughts of all, and so they fear to speak."

Anthem

Comment

I just saw this film and I have to say it was very good, great preformances and certainly made me think, this movie really succeeds in bringing back the feeling of 9/11, not that it's a good thing, but it is good to reflect on things. I especially liked the reality of the film, no real main character, but it was interesting how the family members figured out what was going on with the other terrorist attacks and knew that flight 93 had succumb to the same, very interesting and thought provoking film...

Comment

Originally posted by Eldritch

I also think everyone should have to see it at least once a year. Americans are notorious for their short memories.
                  It could be propoganda! sweet!

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

I hope not.

Originally posted by NJBRONCOSFAN
                    It could be propoganda! sweet!

I hope people do not try to use this film as Propaganda. But after looking at the boards for IMDB I have to say that I am disgusted. Islamist Haters are acting horrible there, and America haters are behaving even worse. It is really sad.

The people portrayed in this movie deserve much better than that.

I don't suggest that anybody go to the IMDB threads to look, but if you do please don't respond to them. It only encourages those horible people to keep trying to elicit a response.

Anthem

Comment

I'll probably see it, but not now. In the future.

Comment

i have serious reservations about going to see this movie

Comment

Then don't.

Originally posted by Bulldawg
                          i have serious reservations about going to see this movie
                          Seriosly. It is hard to watch. I think it's the best movie I have seen in years. But if your not sure you want to see it, you probably shouldn't.

Anthem

Comment

Alright. It's been a while since I've been around, but I thought I'd voice my opinion.

I figured someone would have already brought it up so I'll just say that I think everyone should go watch it, in support of the victims and families.

First thought: It's called "United 93" not "Flight 93." That one was the A&E version and they're both told in a different light.

Anyway, now that the nitpicking is out of the way:

Second: It is not the most important film in the last decade, to me anyway. Because of my background I think "The Passion of the Christ" is. But let's move on.

I was reserved about it at first as well. I didn't know how they would pull it off and now after seeing the movie and reading interviews with the director it is absolutely clear to me that the makers are not out to "make a buck" off of our emotions. It was very tastefully and respectfully done. From the beginning every shot is carefully thought through and planned, it is extremely tight and up close and personal. The fact that Greengrass went to the extent of bringing in many of the actual people involved in that day is a testament to his goal: honoring the families and victims. Also, if the families of those who were on the flight give the film their approval (and they have) then it must be worth watching. It almost feels like an independent film and not a Universal production.

I agree with whoever said America has short term memory loss. We say things like "We Will Never Forget" and then turn right around and totally push it aside.

The one thing that keeps reoccuring in my mind is this: I think we should make as many films as possible about it because what do the terrorists that were involved in the act hate about us most? Our ability to keep going and stay strong after such a horrible event. Our ability to take tragedy and use Hollywood (which I'm certain our enemies despise) to glorify the victims. Instead of sitting around and moping and letting them win, why not put the victims on the big screen as a snub to those who tried to tear us down? I can't help but smile at the thought of what Bin Laden's face looked like when he found out we're making movies to honor our own and make heros out of those he murdered. Talk about his plan back-firing.

This is why you cannot so easily bring America to its knees. Because if you attack us, we unite and it only makes us angry. Which is the emotion I felt as I walked out of the theater Saturday. It was sad, yes...but it brought back the one emotion that I remember feeling so strongly 5 years ago, and that was anger.

(I realize this is long, bear with me heh).

I had the privilege of watching it with about eight of my co-workers and it was interesting to see the progression. They're all about high school age, so they were in jr. high at the highest when this happened. I think they were all excited to be hanging out together and they had gone to the store and picked up a lot of snacks to bring to the movie. As we all sat down, they were loud and rustling with bags and food and talking and so forth and I was afraid they would disturb the paying customers. However not even 10 minutes into the movie they all fell silent, the food was put away and every one of them were glued to the screen.

Afterward, about 5 of them were crying (including a couple of men) and we were all so angry and sad that we didn't know if our day would go well afterward. But every one of us agreed that the movie was superb and very honorably put together. We could all tell that Greengrass' one goal was to honor and not make money. Not to mention a film like this generates conversation and forces you to recall the events of that day...and you really feel proud to be an American again and you want to help somehow but know you can't...

The bottom line is: I was skeptical, so if you are as well, take a chance and go see the film, at least to honor those who made a sacrifice to protect our capital.

I admit I'm still skeptical about "World Trade Center" the Oliver Stone release coming in August, but since "United 93" surprised me so much, I will give it a chance. I hope Nicolas Cage and company will do the same as Greengrass has already accomplished: Respect.
                            sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Working...
                            X