Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whatever happened to the good old slasher flick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatever happened to the good old slasher flick?

Call me old fashioned but I like a lot of the super-clichéd horror flicks like Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Halloween, etc. Sure a lot of them were cheesy but they still had the occasional scare and were actually fun, even though that may or may not have been their intent.

But today too many of the horror movies are all about torture and making people suffer. Basically, they aren't fun. I want to be scared when I see scary movies but I don't want to leave a movie feeling like I'm going to vomit. Gore doesn't bother me in and of itself. But gore combined with extended human suffering is not my bag, baby. (Thanks, Austin Powers!)

I'd like to hear what some of you think on this. Do you actually enjoy the new trend of horror movies that seem to be instructional videos for aspiring psychos? Or are some of you old fashioned like me and prefer the horror villains to just kill their prey and get it over with?
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Originally posted by Javalon
    Call me old fashioned but I like a lot of the super-clichéd horror flicks like Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Halloween, etc. Sure a lot of them were cheesy but they still had the occasional scare and were actually fun, even though that may or may not have been their intent.

But today too many of the horror movies are all about torture and making people suffer. Basically, they aren't fun. I want to be scared when I see scary movies but I don't want to leave a movie feeling like I'm going to vomit. Gore doesn't bother me in and of itself. But gore combined with extended human suffering is not my bag, baby. (Thanks, Austin Powers!)

I'd like to hear what some of you think on this. Do you actually enjoy the new trend of horror movies that seem to be instructional videos for aspiring psychos? Or are some of you old fashioned like me and prefer the horror villains to just kill their prey and get it over with?
    I know what your talking about Halloween is the bomb.
    sigpic
    Thanks Blondie for the Sig

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon

Well, I think they kinda wore out the stalker flick in the 80's. I haven't really seen any of the torture movies that they've been showing recently so I can't comment on that. But I do think they need to show something that's legitimately scary rather than something just for shock value. I find the more I can relate to certain situation, the scarier it will be.

Comment

Originally posted by 970BroncoFan
        I know what your talking about Halloween is the bomb.
        The original Halloween is my favorite of the slasher flicks. It actually helped create a lot of the modern clichés in the slasher flicks. It had a semblance of a story (although admittedly not overly deep ) good directing, cinematography and not the worst acting in the world (at least better than most horror flicks).

I didn't enjoy the sequels as much but some of them were fine from a campy perspective.
        ------

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Knight
          Well, I think they kinda wore out the stalker flick in the 80's. I haven't really seen any of the torture movies that they've been showing recently so I can't comment on that. But I do think they need to show something that's legitimately scary rather than something just for shock value. I find the more I can relate to certain situation, the scarier it will be.
          Yeah, they did overdo it a bit. I agree with you that I prefer to be scared more psychologically than from the shock value.

I used to see a trailer for a scary movie and just take a chance on it if it looked intriguing. But now there are so many torture and suffering movies coming out that I have to go read reviews of them first to make sure they aren't going to nauseate me.
          ------

Comment

I think the scream trilogy were probably the last decent slasher flicks. None of the 3 films had alot of gore, but they've had their scare factor moments.

Comment

Those type of movies became so idiotic that movies began making fun of them. Much like the 'Scream' franchise. Then finally everyone had enough and this new genre was born. I do not mind these latest movies. I have a very strong stomach and can handle these movies.
              The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Working...
              X