Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Original theatrical Star Wars Trilogy to be released.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original theatrical Star Wars Trilogy to be released.

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/star-wars20.html

The shock news today is that Lucasfilm and Fox Home Entertainment has announced plans to release the original theatrical incarnations of the classic Star Wars trilogy. In response to overwhelming demand, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release attractively priced individual two-disc releases of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Each release includes the 2004 digitally remastered version of the movie and, as bonus material, the theatrical edition of the film. That means you'll be able to enjoy Star Wars as it first appeared in 1977, Empire in 1980, and Jedi in 1983. This release will only be available for a limited time: from September 12th to December 31st. The International release will follow on or about the same day. Each original theatrical version will feature Dolby 2.0 Surround sound, close-captioning, and subtitles in English, French and Spanish for their U.S. release. International sound and subtitling vary by territory. Lucas has said at one time that the theatrical release of the orginal trilogy would never be seen on any format again. Make sure you stay tuned for further details.

I'll stay tuned. Need to get my own copy.
    Emancipate your mind!
    The People's Poster

Comment

AWSOME NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CP 4 You BATMAN

Not only does han shoot Fist the Sarlack (SP) will not be a Super Mario Brothers Rip off, and the no Haden Christianson in Jedi.
      Last edited by Southstander; 05-04-2006, 11:30 PM.
      Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
      sigpic

Comment

Man, that is fantastic news!

Of course, I'm a little disappointed that it will only be 2.0 surround, even though that might be more true to the original. (I know, never satisfied! ) I want the original footage, cleaned up and looking good on a big screen TV, but with enhanced audio to take advantage of today's home theater setups.

But somehow I'm sure Mr. Reluctant Lucas will find it in his heart to yet again take more of our money by re-re-re-re-re-releasing the original movies in yet another edition.
        Last edited by Javalon; 05-05-2006, 09:33 AM.
        "You can't take the sky from me..."
        ------
        "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

And I will be stupid enough to buy it

sigpic

Comment

This is great news - I never have gotten used to calling the original "Episode IV: A New Hope." It has been and always will be simply Star Wars to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Calif. Bronco
              This is great news - I never have gotten used to calling the original "Episode IV: A New Hope." It has been and always will be simply Star Wars to me.

I think they'll still call it "A New Hope".

Comment

Originally posted by Calif. Bronco
                Same here!

sigpic

Comment

Will Lucas ever stop editing those damn movies?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Knight
                    I think they'll still call it "A New Hope".
                    Then it's not the original theatrical version.

Comment

Man, I just saw a listing for the DVDs that stated the following:
                      Customers Please Note: The original version of "Star Wars" that appears as a bonus feature on this DVD is letterboxed, but NON-ANAMORPHIC.
                      All I'd like to say about this is: Ahem, Mr. Lucas, you are a no-good son of a *****!!!

Thank you very much.
                      ------

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
                        Man, I just saw a listing for the DVDs that stated the following:

All I'd like to say about this is: Ahem, Mr. Lucas, you are a no-good son of a *****!!!

Thank you very much.

Right.

Alot of fans are pissed off about this.

And the transfer will only be as good as the 1993 technology was at the time because this is basically the transfer they used to make the Laser Disc!

Rediculous.

I'm just going to wait for the HD-DVD or Blue-Ray version.

Comment

Right.

Alot of fans are pissed off about this.

And the transfer will only be as good as the 1993 technology was at the time because this is basically the transfer they used to make the Laser Disc!

Rediculous.

I'm just going to wait for the HD-DVD or Blue-Ray version.
                          The problem is, there is always the fear that Lucas won't ever give the original versions the treatment they deserve. Why he (or his company) is being such a **** about this, I just fail to comprehend. What would it hurt to give the fans what they want? You know, fans like me who have purchased every freaking version of the film they've put out and made him a billionaire?

I just want the original versions in good quality that will play nicely on a home theater setup.

Anyway, here's the contanct info if anybody else wants to complain. I'll also put a link to a site that has been heavily petitioning for the original trilogy (or Original original trilogy, as they call it):

Email:

[email protected]

Original Trilogy Petition website:

http://www.originaltrilogy.com/
                          ------

Comment

This release will only be available for a limited time: from September 12th to December 31st.
                            Yeah, and then from January 1st to Forever on eBay.

Comment

The set will probably cost an arm and a leg.

I'll probably buy it anyway.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X