• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • armedequation
    cafe official sidekick
    • Aug 2005

kung fu hustle

I just watched this yesterday along with shaolin soccer and I have to say I was very impressed with stephen chow and his work. Kung fu hustle was very refreshing as far as martial arts in the movie industry goes.

Appearantly Chow has always been a bruce lee idol and want to get into the movie scene but didnt have the money. He became a teacher to pay for lessons and then came out with these two.

What do those of you that have seen it think?
    Glen Haven Fire
  • MileHighStud
    Captain
    • Aug 2005

Oh man I agree 110%. When I had first seen Shaolin soccer I thought it was an instant classic, and everyone I know that has seen it agrees. Then when I checked out kung fu hustle I had no idea he could match shaolin soccer as an overall good movie. Isnt the way he made the goalie look like bruce funny as hell?
    SOMEBODY!!! ANYBODY!!!! GIVE ME A MILE HIGH SALUTE!!!!

Comment

• armedequation
      cafe official sidekick
      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by MileHighStud
      Oh man I agree 110%. When I had first seen Shaolin soccer I thought it was an instant classic, and everyone I know that has seen it agrees. Then when I checked out kung fu hustle I had no idea he could match shaolin soccer as an overall good movie. Isnt the way he made the goalie look like bruce funny as hell?

yeah that was classic how much that guy looked like bruce. After looking Chow up on IMDB, I was inaccurate about his history. Chow tried to get into acting school and was rejected at first. Through a friend, some strings were pulled and he took night courses. He ended up doing a childrens program which was a hit for 5 years. He then was in a couple of movies with chow yun fat which progressed to him making his own movies.

Miramax reluctantly signed him and released shaolin soccer in 93.

__________________________________________________ _______________
      here are some quotes from chow:

"I thought martial arts were my great strength, but when I actually got involved in show-business, I realized I wasn't the only one who could do these things. And compared to a lot of others, I wasn't really that good. So I became a children's TV program host."

"Right from the beginning of my work, I wanted to capture a mass audience. And I love the unusual: you never see dancing villains. For me, there's a fine line between comedy and drama; so it's not just played for laughs. There's a little romance in this story, too - something for everybody."

"I'm not good at kung-fu at all. I have been learning, but obviously I am not an expert."

"I used to cry when I watched Chaplin's films. It was from him that I learned about the role of the underdog. And because I'm also from a poor family, this kind of thing moved me and I found that it also worked for the audience because most of them are like me - ordinary guys."

"The reason to do a remake is always because the idea is good but the quality is not up to standard. With Kung Fu Hustle the quality is already there. And it would be hard to do it in English because it is all about Chinese culture."

Glen Haven Fire

Comment

• Javalon
        Hail to the King, baby!
        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by armedequation
        I just watched this yesterday along with shaolin soccer and I have to say I was very impressed with stephen chow and his work. Kung fu hustle was very refreshing as far as martial arts in the movie industry goes.

Appearantly Chow has always been a bruce lee idol and want to get into the movie scene but didnt have the money. He became a teacher to pay for lessons and then came out with these two.

What do those of you that have seen it think?
        I've only seen Kung Fu Hustle. It was entertaining but weird. It was an odd mix of humor and violence. (Of course, I said the same about Pulp Fiction and I loved that one.)

Overall I'd say I enjoyed it but it isn't a movie I'd want to watch repeatedly.
        "You can't take the sky from me..."
        ------
        "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

• MileHighStud
          Captain
          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by armedequation
          yeah that was classic how much that guy looked like bruce. After looking Chow up on IMDB, I was inaccurate about his history. Chow tried to get into acting school and was rejected at first. Through a friend, some strings were pulled and he took night courses. He ended up doing a childrens program which was a hit for 5 years. He then was in a couple of movies with chow yun fat which progressed to him making his own movies.

Miramax reluctantly signed him and released shaolin soccer in 93.

__________________________________________________ _______________
          here are some quotes from chow:

"I thought martial arts were my great strength, but when I actually got involved in show-business, I realized I wasn't the only one who could do these things. And compared to a lot of others, I wasn't really that good. So I became a children's TV program host."

"Right from the beginning of my work, I wanted to capture a mass audience. And I love the unusual: you never see dancing villains. For me, there's a fine line between comedy and drama; so it's not just played for laughs. There's a little romance in this story, too - something for everybody."

"I'm not good at kung-fu at all. I have been learning, but obviously I am not an expert."

"I used to cry when I watched Chaplin's films. It was from him that I learned about the role of the underdog. And because I'm also from a poor family, this kind of thing moved me and I found that it also worked for the audience because most of them are like me - ordinary guys."

"The reason to do a remake is always because the idea is good but the quality is not up to standard. With Kung Fu Hustle the quality is already there. And it would be hard to do it in English because it is all about Chinese culture."

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0159507/bio
          I had no idea that it was that old I thought it came out sometime recently.
          SOMEBODY!!! ANYBODY!!!! GIVE ME A MILE HIGH SALUTE!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X