Salem's Lot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salem's Lot

I read some King books before I switched to Koontz, but I never read this. As a kid I watched the old David Soul tv movie (boy did THAT do some damage), and I watched the new Rob Lowe one when it came out a couple of years ago.

It's on again today, and I was really taken with the narration of the title character. I was hoping to ask a few questions to those who have read the book and maybe watched this updated version.

Which movie more faithfully follows the book? I might think the updated version, but I don't nkow. Also, is the narrative description in the movie taken verbatim from the book?

I think I might want to get and read the book, after all of this time, if anything to take note of some descriptive excellence.

Thank you.
    Victory and defeat are matters of the temporary force of circumstance.

Thanks, Snk16!!

Originally posted by Eldritch
    I read some King books before I switched to Koontz, but I never read this. As a kid I watched the old David Soul tv movie (boy did THAT do some damage), and I watched the new Rob Lowe one when it came out a couple of years ago.

It's on again today, and I was really taken with the narration of the title character. I was hoping to ask a few questions to those who have read the book and maybe watched this updated version.

Which movie more faithfully follows the book? I might think the updated version, but I don't nkow. Also, is the narrative description in the movie taken verbatim from the book?

I think I might want to get and read the book, after all of this time, if anything to take note of some descriptive excellence.

Thank you.
    Rule of thumb.....book>movie. That's always been my experience. By the way I happened to see that a little bit ago as I was flipping through channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Reidman
      Rule of thumb.....book>movie. That's always been my experience. By the way I happened to see that a little bit ago as I was flipping through channels.

he knows where its at....

i have 2 thumbs!!!

but i wouldnt know....

i dont read...

and i like movies...

so one does not have to read...

sigpic

Comment

agreed 100 percent. book always owns movie. salem's lot was a pretty good book, but I havent seen the movie in years. Id suggest you check it out.

Ive never liked koontz though.

If you take what I have to say seriously, then I'm embarrassed for you.

Comment

Yeah, I know the rule generally is a book is better than a movie (notable exceptions for me being Silence of the Lambs and the LOTR trilogy). However, I mostly just wondering about faithfullness to the book between the two movies (mainly the remake) and how much of the narrative comes from the book.

I really liked Koontz for the longest time, and think his Christopher Snow books are awesome. However, I haven't followed a lot of his more recent works because they all seem the same to me.

Thanks, Snk16!!

Comment

Book way better than the old movie, haven´t seen the new one, because the rule of ´Movies made from Stephen King books´is

Books = great entertainment

Movies = sucking chasm of suckness(except Shawshank Redemption)

Also, the books make you feel like you never want to go to Maine, let alone Castle Rock. F***ed up things happen in Maine!
            President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
            I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

Comment

Originally posted by Kapaibro
              Book way better than the old movie, haven´t seen the new one, because the rule of ´Movies made from Stephen King books´is

Books = great entertainment

Movies = sucking chasm of suckness(except Shawshank Redemption)

Also, the books make you feel like you never want to go to Maine, let alone Castle Rock. F***ed up things happen in Maine!

hehe, My friend just got a st bernard puppy, and named him cujo. good stuff.

If you take what I have to say seriously, then I'm embarrassed for you.

Comment

I remember Salems' Lot being the one Stephen King book that truly scared me.

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
                - Carl Sagan

Comment

The 1st Movie was much more faithful to the book, IMO, but I enjoyed the 2nd movie as well. Prior to 2005 I watched Salem's Lot on Halloween night 4 straight years (Horror of Dracula [Lee/Cushing, of course] won the honor last year.

The Vampire from the 1st Salem's Lot movie was in line with the book. I liked Rutger Hauer in the 2nd movie, but he didn't approach the Vampire from the original.

I've probably watched the original 20+ times over the years. It never gets old.... and never fails to send chills down my spine. I'm LONG overdue to re-read the book, but can't draw myself away from my Ramsey Campbell novels.
                  My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Comment

I really liked Koontz for the longest time, and think his Christopher Snow books are awesome. However, I haven't followed a lot of his more recent works because they all seem the same to me.
                    Yeah, I read about a dozen or so of his books in a row and kind of burned out. There tended to be way too many common themes through his stories.

But I did really enjoy him for awhile. Lightning and Watchers are still two of my favorite books.

As for Stephen King, I've never been a big fan. I just don't enjoy his writing style very much. I rarely got scared, which I thought was kind of the point. But I've heard some good things about his Dark Tower series and have thought about giving them a try now that he has finally finished them.

Right now, I'm really enjoying the books by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, especially the ones involving the character Agent Pendergast (he's the best character and they took him out of the Relic movie! )
                    "You can't take the sky from me..."
                    ------
                    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

I'm surprised the first movie was more faithful. The remake FELT like it would be. I'll have to get the book and read it.

Jav, I don't really like a lot of King's work. I think two things did that to me. First, I tried to get into The Stand like 3 times and the beginning was so slow and uninteresting that I just couldn't keep going. I suppose I might be missing out on a good book...

The second one was the Tommyknockers. I made the mistake of reading the end of the story (actually by mistake or intentionally I don't remember) and I think I just have a mental block about investing in and liking the main progtagonists and having them come to a sticky end (one turning into an alien-like lifeform and the other dying). I mean, what's the point.

Still, King wrote a VERY good book called 'On Writing' which I think is a good book for writers to read.

As to Koontz. Yeah, I can see getting burned out on him but I seriously recommend the Snow books, Fear Nothing and Seize the Night (though I'm not sure which is the first one right now). Watchers was good, but the movies (they tried to make them several different ways) sucked. Phantoms really grabbed me and the movie was pretty faithful and good despite having Ben Affleck in it.

Thanks, Snk16!!

Comment

talking about books clive barker is out there with his writing

Comment

I'm surprised the first movie was more faithful. The remake FELT like it would be. I'll have to get the book and read it.

Jav, I don't really like a lot of King's work. I think two things did that to me. First, I tried to get into The Stand like 3 times and the beginning was so slow and uninteresting that I just couldn't keep going. I suppose I might be missing out on a good book...
                          I was the same way about The Stand, and I still haven't read it. But I have the "Complete and Uncut" edition which is making me wonder if King shouldn't have questioned his editor's cuts. The original edition is no longer in print so I'm thinking about looking in used bookstores for the edited edition. Seriously, the editors get paid for a reason.

The second one was the Tommyknockers. I made the mistake of reading the end of the story (actually by mistake or intentionally I don't remember) and I think I just have a mental block about investing in and liking the main progtagonists and having them come to a sticky end (one turning into an alien-like lifeform and the other dying). I mean, what's the point.
                          I completely understand that. I won't even read a book's description if I'm pretty sure I'm going to read the book (some authors I read no matter what). So reading the ending would definitely spoil the fun for me.

As to Koontz. Yeah, I can see getting burned out on him but I seriously recommend the Snow books, Fear Nothing and Seize the Night (though I'm not sure which is the first one right now). Watchers was good, but the movies (they tried to make them several different ways) sucked. Phantoms really grabbed me and the movie was pretty faithful and good despite having Ben Affleck in it.
                          Ouch! Poor Ben. (Maybe "poor" isn't the best word for him considering he's filthy rich.) I also really liked Phantoms but wasn't as happy with the movie; I didn't think it was bad but it didn't live up to my hopes. But that's why I usually read the books first. Generally I'd rather spoil the movie by reading the book first than spoil the book by seeing the movie first. Star Wars movies are a notable exception to that policy for me.

Oh, and you're right on about the Watchers movies (actually, I only saw the first one). How could you spoil a good book like that?
                          "You can't take the sky from me..."
                          ------
                          "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

I haven't read Koontz in quite a while, but Watchers and Phantoms (possibly my favorite of his) were quite good. Dragon Tears.....Lightning.......Mr. Murder....... Tick Tock(a little tongue-in-cheek, but entertaining)...... I can't recall a book of his I DIDN'T like.

I've had my Steven King periods...... my Koontz periods.......John Saul........ Peter Straub (VERY underrated, IMO).....John Farris....there are so many good ones. I've got some old Ken Eulo books I need to re-read.

I'm on a strict Ramsey Campbell (very addictive) regimen now, with the occasional Vampire novel mixed in.
                            My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Comment

Working...
                            X