Killswitch Engage - Holy Diver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killswitch Engage - Holy Diver

IMO, one of the best covers I've heard in a while.

http://media.roadrunnerworld.com/Kil...-HolyDiver.wma
    Go Huskers.

I got this song from a friend on AIM. (psychosticks merch guy tony. AKA deathburger!). He got it from a cd from kerrang that had a bunch of covers on it. one of them was this one and just like in the A7X thread it had avenged sevenfolds cover of panteras walk on it. so he sent me a bunch of the songs on it.

my favorite was arch enemy's cover of Symphony of destruction.
    the space that is mine

We miss 'ya brother dime. We know your up there jamming with Cliff and Chuck. Stay metal :salute: :rockon:

Comment

I'm digging that tune ...need to boot up bittorrent and find the album to download.

Comment

It started out decently, but the section starting with "between the velvet lines" sucked. I heard the original version on the radio (actually, I hear it 2 or more times a week).

As is often the case with covers, the original is much, much better.

Not a bad effort, overall, but I'm not impressed. It isn't a bad thing to show this song to a new audience.

Does it mean I'm getting old if I bought Dio's "Holy Diver" ALBUM (yes, kiddies.... as in Vinyl) when it first came out ?? LOL.

I miss Dio's days with Black Sabbath.....Mob Rules, Heaven and Hell, Live Evil..... classics one and all. The only Dio I still have is Holy Diver, Last In Line and, on Video, Sacred Heart (Live).
        My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Comment

Dio

Yeah, it's just not the same. But I agree with you maybe this would actually inspire the younger kids to find out who Dio is. Another is the Jack Black movie where Ronnie plays himself. You ought the give DIO new stuff a try. You won't be dissapointed.

Comment

Dio tribute.

this is best I've heard! Love Fates cover of Souther Cross.

http://www.dynamitemetal.com/reviews/dio-tribute.htm

Holy Dio: A Tribute to the Voice of Metal - Ronnie James Dio - 1999 - Century Media

Disc One (50:37):

(1)Blind Guardian - Don't Talk to Strangers (2) Primal Fear - Kill the King (3) Doro - Egypt (The Chains are On) (4) Jag Panzer - Children of the Sea (5) Fates Warning - Sign of the Southern Cross (6) Catch the Rainbow - Rainbow Eyes (7) Gamma Ray - Long Live Rock N' Roll (8) Swano / Tagtgren - Country Girl (9) Yngwie Malmsteen - Gates of Babylon

Disc Two (48:53):

(1)Grave Digger - We Rock (2) Hammerfall - Man on the Silver Mountain (3) Holy Mother - Holy Diver (4) Stratovarius - Kill the King (5) Axel Rudi Pell - Still I'm Sad (6) Enola Gay - Heaven and Hell (7) Steel Prophet - Neon Knights (8) Solitude Aeturnus - Shame on the Night (9) Destiny's End - The Last in Line (10) Angel Dust - Temple of the King

Grade/Rating: A-

This double-disc set from Century Media is, in my opinion, one of the finest tribute albums to come down the pipe. These are real cover versions by real metal bands who love Dio just like you and I. Consequently, you won't find any "modern" versions of these Dio classics, just 19 flat-out rockers and awesome ballads that stay true to the spirit of the originals. With so many great bands on this tribute, it's hard for me to pick favorites, but a few tracks manage to rise above the others. Blind Guardian, Primal Fear, Gamma Ray, Hammerfall and Stratovarius all deliver strong power metal renditions, much as you'd expect. I particularly enjoy Hammerfall's "Man on the Silver Mountain," since that's one of my all-time favorite Dio tracks. Fates Warning delivers an awesome version of "Sign of the Southern Cross" off Black Sabbath's Mob Rules, and Grave Digger's "We Rock" is even more jacked than the original. But if I had to pick a favorite, I just might choose Solitude Aeturnus' spellbinding treatment of "Shame on the Night" from Dio's classic Holy Diver disc. I'd never heard this band before, but after hearing this track I'm gonna hafta grab some of their stuff. Also of note is Doro's beautiful "Egypt (The Chains are On)," which just completely rules... if anyone on this album has a voice to rival Dio's, it's Doro. Also of note are the fantastic liner notes. Each song features a few sentences from the artist, explaining their love for Dio and why they picked this particular track. All in all, Holy Dio is a phenomenal tribute disc that all Dio fans should listen to.

Comment

Originally posted by keithbishop
              It started out decently, but the section starting with "between the velvet lines" sucked. I heard the original version on the radio (actually, I hear it 2 or more times a week).

As is often the case with covers, the original is much, much better.

Not a bad effort, overall, but I'm not impressed. It isn't a bad thing to show this song to a new audience.

Does it mean I'm getting old if I bought Dio's "Holy Diver" ALBUM (yes, kiddies.... as in Vinyl) when it first came out ?? LOL.

I miss Dio's days with Black Sabbath.....Mob Rules, Heaven and Hell, Live Evil..... classics one and all. The only Dio I still have is Holy Diver, Last In Line and, on Video, Sacred Heart (Live).
              actually it was south park that got me into Dio. They had him playing holy diver at the bay of pigs memorial dance. you know the episode with the homeschooled kids and stuff.
              the space that is mine

We miss 'ya brother dime. We know your up there jamming with Cliff and Chuck. Stay metal :salute: :rockon:

Comment

Try Dry Kill Logics cover of Danzigs dirty black summer.

Dopes- F The police and You spin me round
                Wow, manning has us soaring to new heights.

Comment

Originally posted by tpryce93
                  actually it was south park that got me into Dio. They had him playing holy diver at the bay of pigs memorial dance. you know the episode with the homeschooled kids and stuff.

OMFG, are you serious? Dude, that's exactly how I got into them.

I asked my dad about them, and he found that cd.

weird.
                  Go Huskers.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernBronco
                    You ought the give DIO new stuff a try.
                    I bought their newest cd last year, and was fairly dissapointed...ugh..
                    Go Huskers.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernBronco
                      this is best I've heard! Love Fates cover of Souther Cross.

http://www.dynamitemetal.com/reviews/dio-tribute.htm

But if I had to pick a favorite, I just might choose Solitude Aeturnus' spellbinding treatment of "Shame on the Night" from Dio's classic Holy Diver disc. I'd never heard this band before, but after hearing this track I'm gonna hafta grab some of their stuff.
                      Mike--Fates Warning had some good stuff out in the 80's..... I only heard their first couple of albums. They did great on Judas Priest and Iron Maiden tribute CD's.

Solitude Aeturnus is INCREDIBLE. My favorite doom bands are: 1. Black Sabbath (always the Kings) 2. Candlemass and 3. Solitude Aeturnus.

I bought their debut CD "Into the Depths of Sorrow" from one of their guitarists, John Perez. We exchanged a few e-mails..... he is very cool. I've had "Into the Depths" on cassette since it came out in 1991. It's a classic. I am blessed enough to have gotten John's autograph on the CD sleeve!!

S.A. is from Arlington, Texas. They should have a new one out by now. I'll see what I can find out about it. All of their albums are good, especially their 1st 2. I've got a DVD of theirs as well.

S.A. also did a great job on an Iron Maiden cover ("Hallowed Be Thy Name", I believe) and did a great cover of "Heaven and Hell". I have a CD of them playing a show doing only Black Sabbath covers.

--Edit--S.A. entered the studio June 1st to record their new album (and 1st in several years) "Alone".
                      Last edited by keithbishop; 07-12-2006, 05:02 PM.
                      My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Comment

Working...
                      X