No announcement yet.

--- Artist ? ---

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is by Jeaque Coutseau, the famous diver!

He used his crazy cat to carve it out of a piece of rock he found while diving!

(His cat went crazy because he used to take it on diving expeditions with him.)

You have a one in a million piece there!

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Snake Fan
      --- I bought this crystal statue at a little shop on the island of St. Martin about 30 years ago ---

--- Can anyone tell me the name of the artist ? ---

--- CP if you can ---

--- frenchfan ???

---
      Originally posted by KCLadyFan
      az...is this another one of those trick questions?
      --- No tricks on this one --- I know that it is French crystal ---

--- Here is a different view---

---

Last edited by AZ Snake Fan; 10-04-2006, 01:19 PM.

May God Bless all men and women of our Armed Forces, past and present
      The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing
      http://www.navyjack.info/history.html
      My Adopted Bronco is #95 Derek Wolfe

Comment

--- I bought this crystal statue at a little shop on the island of St. Martin about 30 years ago ---

--- Can anyone tell me the name of the artist ? ---

--- CP if you can ---

--- frenchfan ???

---
        Hello AZ.

I finally found one just like yours, I believe...here it is...

figurine

Lalique, René (Jules)

Enamel, glass, and topaz hair ornament and brooch by Lalique, 1900; in the Victoria and Albert … (credit: Courtesy of the Victoria and Albert Museum, London)(born April 6, 1860, Ay, Fr.-died May 5, 1945, Paris) French jeweler and glassmaker. Trained in Paris and London, he opened his own firm in Paris in 1885 and soon acquired clients such as Sarah Bernhardt. Reacting against machine-produced jewelry featuring precious gems, he designed elegant and fantastic jewelry with less conventional gemstones (tourmaline, cornelian, etc.) and materials such as horn. His designs contributed significantly to the Art Nouveau movement and later the Art Deco movement. His interest in architectural glass led him to develop the style of molded glass for which he is famous, characterized by iced surfaces, elaborate patterns in relief, and occasionally applied or inlaid colour.
        For more information on Lalique, René (Jules), visit Britannica.com.
        Last edited by His Wife; 10-04-2006, 02:16 PM.
        "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

Comment

It's a v...g...mains.

Last edited by Emancipator; 10-04-2006, 02:30 PM.
          Emancipate your mind!
          The People's Poster

Comment

Originally posted by His Wife
            Hello AZ.

figurine

Lalique, René (Jules)

Enamel, glass, and topaz hair ornament and brooch by Lalique, 1900; in the Victoria and Albert … (credit: Courtesy of the Victoria and Albert Museum, London)(born April 6, 1860, Ay, Fr.-died May 5, 1945, Paris) French jeweler and glassmaker. Trained in Paris and London, he opened his own firm in Paris in 1885 and soon acquired clients such as Sarah Bernhardt. Reacting against machine-produced jewelry featuring precious gems, he designed elegant and fantastic jewelry with less conventional gemstones (tourmaline, cornelian, etc.) and materials such as horn. His designs contributed significantly to the Art Nouveau movement and later the Art Deco movement. His interest in architectural glass led him to develop the style of molded glass for which he is famous, characterized by iced surfaces, elaborate patterns in relief, and occasionally applied or inlaid colour.
            Now how directly the HELL did you find that?!

I'm serious. I HAVE TO KNOW!! :brick:
            HEAR ME ROAR!
            sigpic
            Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Comment

Originally posted by WhoDeyBengals
              Now how directly the HELL did you find that?!

I'm serious. I HAVE TO KNOW!! :brick:
              Ah, WhoDey...debating with you has sharpened my mind.

I love research. I can find anything. *evil laugh*

In answer to your question, just a little bit of internet research and the

right keywords, and the determination not to give up...

it was a "defining" moment. *2nd evil laugh*
              "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Comment

Ah, WhoDey...debating with you has sharpened my mind.

I love research. I can find anything. *evil laugh*

In answer to your question, just a little bit of internet research and the

right keywords, and the determination not to give up...

it was a "defining" moment. *2nd evil laugh*
                Oh, COME ON!!! I gotta know what you used and what your key words were. I'm dying to know! Puh-leeeeeeeze!

*poutyface*
                HEAR ME ROAR!
                sigpic

Comment

Oh, COME ON!!! I gotta know what you used and what your key words were. I'm dying to know! Puh-leeeeeeeze!

*poutyface*
                  Googled: waterford crystal, artists

Clicked on: http://www.crystalclassics.com/waterford/wathist.htm

The I went into the left-hand column, called "Collections".

Then I went through each Collection (artist) until I found http://www.crystalclassics.com/lalique/lalique.htm

Then clicked on: Lalique Religious Collection

I'm not too excited yet, AZ still needs to let us know if he thinks this is the correct information!

Comment

Googled: waterford crystal, artists

Clicked on: http://www.crystalclassics.com/waterford/wathist.htm

The I went into the left-hand column, called "Collections".

Then I went through each Collection (artist) until I found http://www.crystalclassics.com/lalique/lalique.htm

Then clicked on: Lalique Religious Collection

I'm not too excited yet, AZ still needs to let us know if he thinks this is the correct information!
                    Waterford Crystal.
                    :doh:

:brick:

HEAR ME ROAR!
                    sigpic

Comment

--- No tricks on this one --- I know that it is French crystal ---

--- Here is a different view---

---

az...that is awful pretty and would look even prettier in my home...
                      Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

*poutyface*
                        a smart poutyface like you couldnt figure that out....
                        Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

AZ, are there any markings at all on the bottom perhaps?
                          sigpic sig by Vulcan thanx buddy

Comment

Hello AZ.

figurine

Lalique, René (Jules)

--- Well hello HW !!!

--- That is it !!! --- It is exactly the same height, and the crystal is partially glazed !

--- Thank you so much !!!

--- Thanks for the hard work and research you did !!! ---

Originally posted by WhoDey
                            --- Waterford Crystal.

:brick:

--- Not Waterford --- Lalique Crystal !!!

--- Thanks for trying Whodey !!! ---

Originally posted by AzBroncoFan67
                            AZ, are there any markings at all on the bottom perhaps?

--- Yes, there are markings on the edge of the base of the sculpture ---

--- At first I thought that they were just scratches, but after HW identified the artist, I could finally make out "Lalique France" engraved in script on the bottom of the base ---

--- Every time that I came back from overseas, I brought a statue for my Mom, usually the Mother and Child ---

--- After awhile my Mom had a small collection from diverse cultural origins ---

--- One was intricately hand carved by a German artist out of wood from the Black Forest ---

--- Another was very simple and modest, yet breathtaking, carved out of tropical hardwood from the Amazon Basin ---

--- Finally, when I returned from abroad yet another time, she said " Please, no more ! --- I have enough already !" ---

--- So ever since then I stopped bringing those sculptures to her ---

--- My Mom passed on a few years ago, and now I have all of them !

--- Thanks again HW !!! --- Maybe you'd like to work on the identity of the artist that carved the German piece --- I don't have a clue, but it is awesome ! ---

May God Bless all men and women of our Armed Forces, past and present
                            The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing
                            http://www.navyjack.info/history.html
                            My Adopted Bronco is #95 Derek Wolfe

Comment

--- Well hello HW !!!

--- That is it !!! --- It is exactly the same height, and the crystal is partially glazed !

--- Thank you so much !!!

--- Thanks for the hard work and research you did !!! ---

--- Not Waterford --- Lalique Crystal !!!

--- Thanks for trying Whodey !!! ---

--- Yes, there are markings on the edge of the base of the sculpture ---

--- At first I thought that they were just scratches, but after HW identified the artist, I could finally make out "Lalique France" engraved in script on the bottom of the base ---

--- Every time that I came back from overseas, I brought a statue for my Mom, usually the Mother and Child ---

--- After awhile my Mom had a small collection from diverse cultural origins ---

--- One was intricately hand carved by a German artist out of wood from the Black Forest ---

--- Another was very simple and modest, yet breathtaking, carved out of tropical hardwood from the Amazon Basin ---

--- Finally, when I returned from abroad yet another time, she said
                              " Please, no more ! --- I have enough already !" ---

--- Thanks again HW !!! --- Maybe you'd like to work on the identity of the artist that carved the German piece --- I don't have a clue, but it is awesome ! ---

az...thats how my mom was....she had a collection of just about everything...of course when she died....guess who got to go thru all of it....
                              Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

--- Well hello HW !!!

--- Finally, when I returned from abroad yet another time, she said " Please, no more ! --- I have enough already !" ---
                                Sorry to hear about your mom passing, AZ.

Re the Black Forest carving of madonna and child...first all bavarian carvings are made by the Swiss (it's a common misconception). Later on, I'll back up everything I'm relaying here. First, will you look at these next two pictures and let me know if they match your figurine? I'll hold off looking further until you say yeah or neigh. Then that will be my starting point for the history of the artwork.

Ebay Auction, 3rd photo down

Bavarian Store, select wood carvings, 2nd page within that section, 3-5th down.

I believe there is also a figurine called the Black Madonna and Child....but I am not sure that is not South African Artwork...I think it's Bavarian Black Forest art. Easy enough to figure out.

A picture takes me to a whole other place though!

AZ---The Black Forest would also make a good thread! Have you seen that Hi-Jacker, KCLady, around?
                                Last edited by His Wife; 10-05-2006, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X