Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KCLadyFan
    are you talking about az... :nono:
    actually looking back it may sound really dirty to people...

its a saying here...

just means calm down... stop hitting on people...

not the weird thing it seems like it sounds...

me and my nationaly undesrtood slang, and you beingof the wrong nation...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by anton1287
      actually looking back it may sound really dirty to people...

its a saying here...

just means calm down... stop hitting on people...

not the weird thing it seems like it sounds...

me and my nationaly undesrtood slang, and you beingof the wrong nation...
      oh believe me...I know what you meant....

not hitting on people like this.... :hammer:

but...

like this.....

Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

Originally posted by KCLadyFan
        oh believe me...I know what you meant....

not hitting on people like this.... :hammer:

but...

like this.....

you made me sorta freaked with your first pm...

oh well...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by anton1287

you made me sorta freaked with your first pm...

oh well...

anton...I have a hard time believing that anyone or anything could freak you out...
          Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Snake Fan
            --- OK, now that HW has identified the artist of the crystal sculpture as Lalique ---

--- Let's see if anyone can ID the artist of this wooden sculpture !!!

--- HW already has a head start and hasn't even seen it yet !!! ---

--- I bought this one in Germany --- I always thought Bavaria was a state in Germany until HW brought to our attention that Bavarian carvings are Swiss ???

--- So, we may be looking for a Swiss artist !

--- I know for sure that I bought it in Germany !!! ---

--- Years ago, a few of us had a little time to kill so we jumped in a jeep and went on some back roads from Miesenbach and wound up in Nürnberg ---

--- All the way there, and back to the base, we stopped at many resturants and shops in many different little hamlets ---

--- I remember that it was on the way back, outside of Nürnberg, when I purchased this sculpture ---

--- The shop was full of carvings, and all of them were all wood, no paint ---

--- This one that I have is about 18" high and the base is about 4" across ---

--- It is carved from a single piece of wood ---

--- I do not know what kind of wood it is carved from ---

--- View 1 --- View 2 --- View 3 ---

--- While I was taking these photos, I was looking for a signature on the bottom of the pedestal and I found a mark carved between the folds of the robe on the back side of the sculpture ---

--- The symbol is about 7" above the bottom of the base and is about 2 1/2 " long

--- It is vertical, carved inside the folds of the robe !

--- It looks like a sword piercing 2 deltas --- Maybe this is a CLUE !!!

--- I sketched the symbol because it is hidden so well on the sculpture ---

--- This has to be the artist's signature !!!

--- Again, CP to anyone who can ID the artist !!!

--- I hope we have as much fun as the last one !!!

---

That's a large and beautiful piece of artwork. The detail on her hand....beautiful.
            I'll be looking when I have more time....I do enjoy the research.
            "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

Comment

Originally posted by His Wife
              ....I do enjoy the research.
              Wifey is the wonderful Internet wife... She enjoys to go shopping

BTW AZ... How many statue or art pieces (hope that makes sense .. you'll let me know) have you ?
              Do you like any arts ?

ps : you're welcomed and invited to my thread... Don't hesitate to come and visit me... (PLUS : there are some nice girlies around... LOL)
              Just talk slowly please... I'm French

GO BRONCOS

(Sig made by Snk16)

(thousands of bisous for Thundergirl, une fille du tonnerre !!!)

My adoptee-a-fan are THE GIRLIES :kiss:

Comment

Hey HZ....

Quick & interesting read re swiss artists and black forest.

Publisher: Antique Collectors' Club

Title: Swiss Carvings: The Art of the Black Forest' 1820-1940
                Author: Jay Arenski, Simon Daniels, Michael Daniels

Product Description: - A comprehensive explanation of Swiss wood carving, known as Black Forest, from 1820-1940 - Written by experts on the subject For many years "Black Forest" carvings were thought to have been produced in the Bavarian Black Forest, in Germany, but it has now been established beyond all doubt that they were the sole province of the Swiss. The wood carving industry of Switzerland originated in the picturesque town of Brienz. From humble beginnings as a cottage industry in the early 1800s it grew by the turn of the twentieth century to become the industrial driving force of a whole community. By 1910 there were some thirteen hundred carvers plying their trade in the locality of Brienz. The carving industry was driven by the tourist industry; Brienz, Luzern, Interlaken and other such picturesque resorts were in vogue with the wealthy Victorians. Bears were particularly popular, being the symbol for the city of Berne, but musical boxes, musical chalets, furniture large and small, all figured in Swiss carving. The variety was immense, ranging from the religious, faithful reproductions of Leonardo da Vinci's Last Supper to the amusing and whimsical. Swiss "Black Forest" carvings were exhibited at the London Great Exhibition of 1851, Chicago 1893, Paris 1900 and at many of the other great international exhibitions of the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. Carved wooden bears, stags and other furniture and works of art from the Swiss "Black Forest" carvers stood alongside such great exhibitors of the time as Tiffany, Gallé and Linke. `Black Forest' carvings were appreciated as truly great works of art at the time of their creation and indeed enjoyed royal patronage. Today there has been a tremendous revival in interest for them and the best pieces are highly sought after.
                "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Comment

Originally posted by His Wife
                  Hey HZ....

Quick & interesting read re swiss artists and black forest.

Title: Swiss Carvings: The Art of the Black Forest' 1820-1940
                  Author: Jay Arenski, Simon Daniels, Michael Daniels

Product Description: - A comprehensive explanation of Swiss wood carving, known as Black Forest, from 1820-1940 - Written by experts on the subject For many years "Black Forest" carvings were thought to have been produced in the Bavarian Black Forest, in Germany, but it has now been established beyond all doubt that they were the sole province of the Swiss. The wood carving industry of Switzerland originated in the picturesque town of Brienz. From humble beginnings as a cottage industry in the early 1800s it grew by the turn of the twentieth century to become the industrial driving force of a whole community. By 1910 there were some thirteen hundred carvers plying their trade in the locality of Brienz. The carving industry was driven by the tourist industry; Brienz, Luzern, Interlaken and other such picturesque resorts were in vogue with the wealthy Victorians. Bears were particularly popular, being the symbol for the city of Berne, but musical boxes, musical chalets, furniture large and small, all figured in Swiss carving. The variety was immense, ranging from the religious, faithful reproductions of Leonardo da Vinci's Last Supper to the amusing and whimsical. Swiss "Black Forest" carvings were exhibited at the London Great Exhibition of 1851, Chicago 1893, Paris 1900 and at many of the other great international exhibitions of the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. Carved wooden bears, stags and other furniture and works of art from the Swiss "Black Forest" carvers stood alongside such great exhibitors of the time as Tiffany, Gallé and Linke. `Black Forest' carvings were appreciated as truly great works of art at the time of their creation and indeed enjoyed royal patronage. Today there has been a tremendous revival in interest for them and the best pieces are highly sought after.
                  So my Black Forest Gummy Bears are Swiss also?

(gotta love them swiss misses)
                  "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                  tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                  men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

I haven't given up ----- still researching from time to time. It's extremely interesting what I learn along the way and extremely frustrating at times. For example.... There are 130 wood types in the Black Forest:

Wood and Wood Products
                    Black Forest Wood Company carries over 130 species of fine exotic and domestic wood including burls, instrument wood and carving wood.

S2S LUMBER 4/4 unless noted: African Blackwood 6/4; Alder 6/4, 8/4; Anigre; Arariba; Ash to 16/4; Aspen 8/4, 16/4; Avodire; Balsa to 16/4; Basswood (linden) to 16/4; American Beech; European Steamed Beech 6/4, 8/4; Eastern Yellow Birch 5/4, 6/4, 8/4; Eastern White Birch; Bloodwood 8/4; Bocote; Bubinga 8/4; Butternut up to 16/4; Aromatic Cedar (Juniper); Red Cedar to 36/4; Spanish Cedar to 16/4; Alaskan Yellow Cedar to 16/4; Chechum 6/4; Cherry Shorts 8/4; American Black Cherry to 12/4; Cocobolo; Cottonwood; Gaboon Ebony to 8/4; Macassar Ebony to 16/4; Macassar Ebony Strips; Mexican Ebony to 16/4; Red Elm; Quartersawn Fir; Greenheart; Hackberry 8/4; Hickory; Figured Imbuya to 16/4; Ipe; Jatoba (Brazilian Cherry) to 8/4; Jelutong to 16/4; Kingwood 8/4; Koa 8/4; Lacewood to 36/4; Lignum Vitae to 16/4+; Limba 8/4; African Mahogany to 8/4; Honduras Mahogany to 16/4; Philippine Mahogany to 8/4; Santos Mahogany 5/4; Makore 8/4; Bird's Eye Maple 8/4; Curly Maple 8/4; Eastern Hard Maple to 8/4; Hard Sap Maple to 12/4; Eastern Silver Maple to 10/4; Quartersawn Hard Maple; Quilted Maple 8/4; Western Soft Maple; Mulberry to 16/4; Nogal(Peruvian Walnut); Red Oak to 12/4; White Oak to 8/4; Quartersawn Red Oak to 8/4; Quartersawn White Oak to 8/4; Obeche to 16/4; Olivewood; African Padauk to 12/4; Pau Amarillo (YELLOWHEART) 8/4; Swiss Pear; Pernumbucco 8/4; Clear Pine to 8/4; Knotty Pine to 12/4; Ponderosa Pine 8/4; Plum; Eastern Yellow Poplar to 12/4; Purpleheart to 16/4; Figured Redwood to 16/4; Flame Redwood 8/4; Indian Rosewood 8/4; Santos Rosewood; Sapele to 16/4; Sassafras; Snakewood; Sitka Spruce to 16/4; American Sycamore 8/4; English Sycamore; Burmese Teak to 8/4; Tigerwood 12/4; Tulipwood to 8/4; Tupelo; American Black Walnut to 16/4; Wenge 8/4; Yew to 10/4; Zebrano (Zebrawood) 8/4; Ziricote

I'm starting to think now....this is possibly made by an Italian artist.

One interesting note, AZ....Mother and child are both holding scrolls in their hands, which represent the word of God.

I know you don't expect it....just enjoying it and wanted to let you know....I'm
                    still trying to track it down! Enjoy your day, AZ.

Comment

--- Very interesting HW !!! ---

--- I bought that sculpture in a little hamlet in GERMANY --- I'm positive !!! ---

--- I noticed that the mother was holding something, but I thought it was a flute.

--- I know that she has beautiful fingernails --- amazing detail !!!

--- Also the figure is about 24" tall ---

--- I haven't noticed what the child is holding, but I'll look closer when I get home from work ---

--- I've been trying to search the symbol carved on the back between the folds of her robe --- No luck so far, but I'm sure it is the artist's signature !!!

--- Thanks for continuing the qwest HW !!!

---

---

May God Bless all men and women of our Armed Forces, past and present
                      The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing
                      http://www.navyjack.info/history.html
                      My Adopted Bronco is #95 Derek Wolfe

Comment

--- HW, I think that the Black Forest Wood Company may sell 130 different types of wood, but I wonder how the tropical woods could grow in Bavaria ? ---

--- Especially the teak and mahogany --- They may be imported ---

--- Or maybe they are grown in climate controlled green houses --- who knows ?

--- Anyway, you were right about the scroll !!!

--- I hadn't noticed before that both mother and child are holding a scroll in their left hands !!!

--- The object in her right hand appears to me to be a flute ??? ---

--- I angled the back of the artwork in the light and was able to get a shot of the artist's signature !!!

--- First you said Swiss, and now Italian ? --- ---

--- Why am I getting hungary ---

--- Thanks for taking some time to work on this HW !!! ---

--- I noticed your post/day ratio really took a dive while you were sleuthing the Lalique !!! ---

---

May God Bless all men and women of our Armed Forces, past and present
                        The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing
                        http://www.navyjack.info/history.html
                        My Adopted Bronco is #95 Derek Wolfe

Comment

Thank you for that close-up of the flute (I couldn't tell that before)...HELPFUL!

I don't know for sure it's Italian, so I'll stay open-minded on that one.

Thanks for the new photo AZ....it's a lot of fun!

Comment

Working...
                          X