Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 50 Performances Since 1970!

These are my favorites

50. JOHN GOODMAN, THE BIG LEBOWSKI---- "It really tied the room together, did it not Dude?" is one of the funniest lines I've heard in years. Goodman is great!
    49. VAL KILMER, THE DOORS---- I never thought Val could act until I saw his dead on accurate portrayal of Jim Morrison.
    48. BILL MURRAY, GROUNDHOG DAY---- Forget "Lost in Translation", this is the movie the Oscars overlooked Murray for.
    47. LARENZ TATE, DEAD PRESIDENTS---- Larenz is an underrated actor and his performance in this Vietnam epic is one heck of a role, catch the ending courtoom scene, its one of the best.
    46. KEVIN SPACEY, THE USUAL SUSPECTS---- Spacey gives a great performance in this caper film. His best performance yet.
    45. NICOLE KIDMAN, THE OTHERS---- Kidman plays one heck of a ***** regardless of what she's in, but this one outdoes her other ***** roles.
    44. DENZEL WASHINGTON, GLORY----- Another great performance by the great actor!
    43. MICHAEL DOUGLAS, FALLING DOWN---- Watching Douglas go crazy is definitely worth a look.
    42. HALEY JOEL OSMENT, THE SIXTH SENSE---- I'll say this much, the performance by young Haley is very good, plus the "I see dead people" line is unforgettable.
    41. KEVIN KLINE, A FISH CALLED WANDA---- Kevin Kline stars in this hilarious tale and gives a hilarious performance.
    40. TOMMY LEE JONES, THE FUGITIVE---- Not the greatest performance by any means but its worth a mention.
    39. RICHARD DREYFUSS, THE GOODBYE GIRL----- Dreyfuss's witty performace is one of the best, even though it may be forgotten by today's generation.
    38. SEAN PENN, FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH----- Forget Penn in "Mystic River", catch him here in this comedy classic as he asks "Shouldn't it be Our Time Mr. Hand?"
    37. FRANCES MCDORMAND, FARGO- Counting how many times Frances says Yah is what makes this movie fun.
    36. BILLY BOB THORNTON, A SIMPLE PLAN---- Billy Bob gives another great performance.
    35. STEVE BUSCEMI, FARGO----- Steve's performance in this tale is definitely worth a look.
    34. BRAD PITT, TWELVE MONKEYS----- Brad Pitt portrays crazy well in this sci-fi flick that is definitely a great movie.
    33. MICHAEL DOUGLAS, WALL STREET---- Douglas' performance as Gordon Gekko is definitely one of the greatest roles of all time.
    32. ELLEN BURSTYN, REQUIEM OF A DREAM---- Burstyn's weird performance is definitely at her crazy best.
    31. JEFF BRIDGES, SEABISCUIT---- Jeff Bridges performance is probably the best thing about Seabiscuit.
    30. JOE PESCI, GOODFELLAS----- What makes Joe Pesci so ****ing funny? Watch this great performance to find out.
    29. JUDE LAW, THE ROAD TO PERDITION---- Jude Law is terrifying as the photographer who likes to take pictures of the dead. Great film, excellent performance.
    28. SEAN PENN, I AM SAM---- Penn hits again with another top performance as a mentally challenged man, the performance is way better than the movie.
    27. WILL SMITH, ALI---- Never have been convinced that Will can act, but he proved me wrong with his performance as Ali.
    26. TOM CRUISE, BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY----- Cruise stars as a parapalegic Vietnam veteran and he gives his best performance to date.
    25. LEONARDO DICAPRIO, WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE---- Every now and then, there's an actor who tops himself and is never able to reach that point again, that has been the case for Leo. This performance as a young retarded man is deep and it never goes over the top.
    24. LEE ERMEY JR., FULL METAL JACKET---- It's not a great movie but Ermey's performance as the Drill Instructor in the beginning scenes is one of the best performances to date.
    23. JON VOIGHT, COMING HOME---- Excellent performance by Voight as a troubled Vietnam Veteran. Must see performance!
    22. KIM BASINGER, LA CONFIDENTIAL---- One of the greatest performances by a Supporting Actress.
    21. JANE FONDA, THE MORNING AFTER----- I will not deny Fonda's talents in this thriller in which she stars a troubled alcoholic.
    20. JOHN MALKOVICH, IN THE LINE OF FIRE---- Excellent performance by Malkovich as an assassin who changes his appearances to fit his persona. It's a great film, but its the performance by Malkovich that makes it so.
    19. SUSAN SARANDON, BULL DURHAM---- I like Sarandon regardless, but I have to admit, her performance in "Bull Durham" is downright hilarious.
    18. ANGELA BASSETT---- Bassett gives an unforgettable performance as Tina Turner. This is definitely one of the greatest performances since 1970 by a black actress.
    17. EDWARD NORTON, PRIMAL FEAR---- Norton's portrayal as a crazy man is so slick, you don't even see the twist coming.
    16. MARISA TOMEI, MY COUSIN VINNY----- Her Gum Popping, fast talking ways steal the show in this entertaining comedy. If you haven't seen it, you'd better.
    15. NICOLAS CAGE, BRINGING OUT THE DEAD---- Cage is one pill popping dude in this classic tale about an ambulance driver.
    14. JACK NICHOLSON, ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST--- Just hearing Nicholson say "Hey Chief" is enough for me to like this performance.
    13. CHRISTOPHER WALKEN, BILOXI BLUES---- This movie would have definitely sucked if it weren't for Walken's great portrayal as the gunnery seargent.
    12. WILLEM DAFOE, SHADOW OF A VAMPIRE---- Dafoes performance is one of his best, its even better than his performance in "Platoon".
    11. DANIEL DAY LEWIS, GANGS OF NEW YORK----- Day Lewis stars as "Bill the Butcher" and his performance again is empowered by his brilliance.
    10. EDWARD NORTON, AMERICAN HISTORY X----- There's a momen in "American History X" when Edward's character turns around and gives a smirk that is painful to watch. This performance is one of the best, its a shame that Kevin Spacey stole the Oscar that year.
    9. NICOLAS CAGE, MATCHSTICK MEN---- Watching Nicolas Cage star as an obsessive compulsive con man is one of his best performance to date. Forget "Leaving Las Vegas" and watch this one instead.
    8. BILLY BOB THORNTON, SLING BLADE--- Do I have to say anything. Just watch the performance.
    7. DANIEL DAY LEWIS, MY LEFT FOOT---- Day Lewis is one of those actors who never gets the respect he deserves, this movie is one of those performances that displays his brilliance.
    6. MORGAN FREEMAN, THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION---- Freeman stars a Red in this dramatic tale about redemption. Freeman is at his best.
    5. KATHY BATES, MISERY----- You dirtie birdie is what Bates says in this terrifying thriller. It's her best work yet, and she leaves her clothes on!
    4. DENZEL WASHINGTON, TRAINING DAY--- Denzel will never be viewed as a nice guy, not after his compelling turn in this crime drama as a tough veteran cop who makes life miserable for a young rookie.
    3. ROBERT DE NIRO, TAXI DRIVER----- De Niro plays crazy well, but all of his other performances have never been able to match this one, as if it wasn't freaky enough to see De Niro in a mohawk.
    2. DUSTIN HOFFMAN, RAINMAN---- Hoffman is excellent as Raymond, an autistic man whose world consists of routine and a great episode of "Wapner". This performance was well worth the Oscar it received.
    1. TOM HANKS, PHILADELPHIA---- Say what you want, but there has not been a more touching role than the one Tom portrayed as an Aids patient in the film "Philadelphia". This is one of those movies where the performance is better than the movie.
    [QUOTE]
    If someone uses one of your quotes, it really means that they agree with it and they're upset they didn't get the chance to say it first---- Dave Navarro 1991

The main reason I don't like the Bronco's is because every time I see their logo it reminds me of my drunk boyfriend who used to write his name in the snow with his urine then belch the letters of Elway's name----- Sandra Bernhard 1993

I liked Hal in 2001, but that's too old. How did they get that computer to talk?

Since 1970, I'd have to go with Mr. Potato Head in Toy Story. Who knew he had such deft comic timing?

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
    You should check these guys out

Comment

good list, I also liked John Torturro in Big Lebowski, "Bush league psyche out, Laughable man"

Jackie Gleason in the first Smokey and the Bandit is a classic.

Comment

Re: Top 50 Performances Since 1970!

Originally posted by dhall26
        These are my favorites

50. JOHN GOODMAN, THE BIG LEBOWSKI---- "It really tied the room together, did it not Dude?" is one of the funniest lines I've heard in years. Goodman is great!
        49. VAL KILMER, THE DOORS---- I never thought Val could act until I saw his dead on accurate portrayal of Jim Morrison.
        48. BILL MURRAY, GROUNDHOG DAY---- Forget "Lost in Translation", this is the movie the Oscars overlooked Murray for.
        47. LARENZ TATE, DEAD PRESIDENTS---- Larenz is an underrated actor and his performance in this Vietnam epic is one heck of a role, catch the ending courtoom scene, its one of the best.
        46. KEVIN SPACEY, THE USUAL SUSPECTS---- Spacey gives a great performance in this caper film. His best performance yet.
        45. NICOLE KIDMAN, THE OTHERS---- Kidman plays one heck of a ***** regardless of what she's in, but this one outdoes her other ***** roles.
        44. DENZEL WASHINGTON, GLORY----- Another great performance by the great actor!
        43. MICHAEL DOUGLAS, FALLING DOWN---- Watching Douglas go crazy is definitely worth a look.
        42. HALEY JOEL OSMENT, THE SIXTH SENSE---- I'll say this much, the performance by young Haley is very good, plus the "I see dead people" line is unforgettable.
        41. KEVIN KLINE, A FISH CALLED WANDA---- Kevin Kline stars in this hilarious tale and gives a hilarious performance.
        40. TOMMY LEE JONES, THE FUGITIVE---- Not the greatest performance by any means but its worth a mention.
        39. RICHARD DREYFUSS, THE GOODBYE GIRL----- Dreyfuss's witty performace is one of the best, even though it may be forgotten by today's generation.
        38. SEAN PENN, FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH----- Forget Penn in "Mystic River", catch him here in this comedy classic as he asks "Shouldn't it be Our Time Mr. Hand?"
        37. FRANCES MCDORMAND, FARGO- Counting how many times Frances says Yah is what makes this movie fun.
        36. BILLY BOB THORNTON, A SIMPLE PLAN---- Billy Bob gives another great performance.
        35. STEVE BUSCEMI, FARGO----- Steve's performance in this tale is definitely worth a look.
        34. BRAD PITT, TWELVE MONKEYS----- Brad Pitt portrays crazy well in this sci-fi flick that is definitely a great movie.
        33. MICHAEL DOUGLAS, WALL STREET---- Douglas' performance as Gordon Gekko is definitely one of the greatest roles of all time.
        32. ELLEN BURSTYN, REQUIEM OF A DREAM---- Burstyn's weird performance is definitely at her crazy best.
        31. JEFF BRIDGES, SEABISCUIT---- Jeff Bridges performance is probably the best thing about Seabiscuit.
        30. JOE PESCI, GOODFELLAS----- What makes Joe Pesci so ****ing funny? Watch this great performance to find out.
        29. JUDE LAW, THE ROAD TO PERDITION---- Jude Law is terrifying as the photographer who likes to take pictures of the dead. Great film, excellent performance.
        28. SEAN PENN, I AM SAM---- Penn hits again with another top performance as a mentally challenged man, the performance is way better than the movie.
        27. WILL SMITH, ALI---- Never have been convinced that Will can act, but he proved me wrong with his performance as Ali.
        26. TOM CRUISE, BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY----- Cruise stars as a parapalegic Vietnam veteran and he gives his best performance to date.
        25. LEONARDO DICAPRIO, WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE---- Every now and then, there's an actor who tops himself and is never able to reach that point again, that has been the case for Leo. This performance as a young retarded man is deep and it never goes over the top.
        24. LEE ERMEY JR., FULL METAL JACKET---- It's not a great movie but Ermey's performance as the Drill Instructor in the beginning scenes is one of the best performances to date.
        23. JON VOIGHT, COMING HOME---- Excellent performance by Voight as a troubled Vietnam Veteran. Must see performance!
        22. KIM BASINGER, LA CONFIDENTIAL---- One of the greatest performances by a Supporting Actress.
        21. JANE FONDA, THE MORNING AFTER----- I will not deny Fonda's talents in this thriller in which she stars a troubled alcoholic.
        20. JOHN MALKOVICH, IN THE LINE OF FIRE---- Excellent performance by Malkovich as an assassin who changes his appearances to fit his persona. It's a great film, but its the performance by Malkovich that makes it so.
        19. SUSAN SARANDON, BULL DURHAM---- I like Sarandon regardless, but I have to admit, her performance in "Bull Durham" is downright hilarious.
        18. ANGELA BASSETT---- Bassett gives an unforgettable performance as Tina Turner. This is definitely one of the greatest performances since 1970 by a black actress.
        17. EDWARD NORTON, PRIMAL FEAR---- Norton's portrayal as a crazy man is so slick, you don't even see the twist coming.
        16. MARISA TOMEI, MY COUSIN VINNY----- Her Gum Popping, fast talking ways steal the show in this entertaining comedy. If you haven't seen it, you'd better.
        15. NICOLAS CAGE, BRINGING OUT THE DEAD---- Cage is one pill popping dude in this classic tale about an ambulance driver.
        14. JACK NICHOLSON, ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST--- Just hearing Nicholson say "Hey Chief" is enough for me to like this performance.
        13. CHRISTOPHER WALKEN, BILOXI BLUES---- This movie would have definitely sucked if it weren't for Walken's great portrayal as the gunnery seargent.
        12. WILLEM DAFOE, SHADOW OF A VAMPIRE---- Dafoes performance is one of his best, its even better than his performance in "Platoon".
        11. DANIEL DAY LEWIS, GANGS OF NEW YORK----- Day Lewis stars as "Bill the Butcher" and his performance again is empowered by his brilliance.
        10. EDWARD NORTON, AMERICAN HISTORY X----- There's a momen in "American History X" when Edward's character turns around and gives a smirk that is painful to watch. This performance is one of the best, its a shame that Kevin Spacey stole the Oscar that year.
        9. NICOLAS CAGE, MATCHSTICK MEN---- Watching Nicolas Cage star as an obsessive compulsive con man is one of his best performance to date. Forget "Leaving Las Vegas" and watch this one instead.
        8. BILLY BOB THORNTON, SLING BLADE--- Do I have to say anything. Just watch the performance.
        7. DANIEL DAY LEWIS, MY LEFT FOOT---- Day Lewis is one of those actors who never gets the respect he deserves, this movie is one of those performances that displays his brilliance.
        6. MORGAN FREEMAN, THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION---- Freeman stars a Red in this dramatic tale about redemption. Freeman is at his best.
        5. KATHY BATES, MISERY----- You dirtie birdie is what Bates says in this terrifying thriller. It's her best work yet, and she leaves her clothes on!
        4. DENZEL WASHINGTON, TRAINING DAY--- Denzel will never be viewed as a nice guy, not after his compelling turn in this crime drama as a tough veteran cop who makes life miserable for a young rookie.
        3. ROBERT DE NIRO, TAXI DRIVER----- De Niro plays crazy well, but all of his other performances have never been able to match this one, as if it wasn't freaky enough to see De Niro in a mohawk.
        2. DUSTIN HOFFMAN, RAINMAN---- Hoffman is excellent as Raymond, an autistic man whose world consists of routine and a great episode of "Wapner". This performance was well worth the Oscar it received.
        1. TOM HANKS, PHILADELPHIA---- Say what you want, but there has not been a more touching role than the one Tom portrayed as an Aids patient in the film "Philadelphia". This is one of those movies where the performance is better than the movie.
        For once DH, you didn't even mke the smallest mistake....

Except for Harrison Ford in "Raiders"

OR

Bruce Willis nailing a serious and active role in a break out career movie, DIE HARD. But I know you only had 50 to do, so you were pressured to find the best.
        ...And [sic 'he'] is given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth....

Comment

Re: Re: Top 50 Performances Since 1970!

Originally posted by palehorse

OR

Bruce Willis nailing a serious and active role in a break out career movie, DIE HARD. But I know you only had 50 to do, so you were pressured to find the best.

Thanks, I tried my best, If I had to add another 50, I would have Harrison on the list, but for "Witness".
          [QUOTE]
          If someone uses one of your quotes, it really means that they agree with it and they're upset they didn't get the chance to say it first---- Dave Navarro 1991

The main reason I don't like the Bronco's is because every time I see their logo it reminds me of my drunk boyfriend who used to write his name in the snow with his urine then belch the letters of Elway's name----- Sandra Bernhard 1993

Comment

Re: Re: Top 50 Performances Since 1970!

Originally posted by palehorse

OR

I love the Die Hard movies, but I wouldn't call that intense over the top acting!
            [QUOTE]

Comment

I disagree with this thread, nowhere did I see Anthony Hopkins for Silence of the Lambs, Jeff Bridges for Starman, Nicolas Cage for Adaptation, Matthew Broderick for The Freshman, Steve Buscemi for Fargo and John Turrturro for Quiz Show. This guy obviously lacks the talent of finding good performances. Dustin Hoffman for Rainman? You got to be kidding, that role was manufactured right out of an old Hollywood script.
              I am the ghost, I was once here, then I died, now I have come back to haunt each and every one of you, that's what you get for getting rid of me.

Comment

Nice work Dhall!

"donnie your out of your league"!! lmao oh i love that movie
                "Hey that's great, but who are the Chefs?" - Snickers commercial

Comment

Good Job D-hall. If I had to add just one it would've been Tom Hanks for Forrest Gump. (Classic) Thanks for taking the time tho.

Comment

that's a pretty decent list but i'm not sure any list could be complete without these:

marlon brando -- the godfather
                    al pacino -- scarface
                    al pacino -- scent of a woman (i want this wall to wall with John Daniels)

honorable mentions:
                    chevy chase/bill murray -- caddyshack
                    ralph macchio -- the karate kid
                    terry kiser -- weekend at bernie's
                    gary oldman -- true romance
                    george clooney -- o brother where art thou?
                    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Comment

Wow you are a movie afficiando! What about Bruce Campbell in "Army of Darkness!?" OMG that was the best acting in history!

Comment

Top 50 Performances Since 1970!

You put some time into this...nice post. Here is one that would be close to the top on my list.

Nicol Williamson .... as Merlin in Excalibur......Great movie, Great performance.
                        #7 The Best Ever

Comment

Working...
                        X