HELP! I am HDTV Stupid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lynchembaby
    flat panel lcd tv's look jsut like a plasma tv and you can hang them on the wall.
    they are more expensive than the proj. lcd tv's.
    few reasons people buy them are space savers, wall hanging compatable, less maintance.
    the proj. lcd's are great on a smaller budget. they usually have a depth of 12-14 inches. the issues with the proj. is they opperate w a bulb that shine thru the lcd panel. these bulbs have a life time with them. you have to find out how long the bulb usually last on the particular lcd proj. you are looking at.
    now be careful, when you go to the stores most salespeople will tell you 2 years or so on the bulb life, thus prepairing to tell you about their service policy that will cover the bulb for 3 to 5 years. find out for yourself or ask to see it in writing all tv have this info. they rate the bulb in hours so you can figure how much you watch on a givin day and see how long the bulb will last in years for you.
    the bulds do cost anywhere from $200. to $300 dollars and if you take a service plan the company comes to you and replaces the bulb free of charge.
    if you dont take the plan its up to you to get the bulb (sometimes hard to do) from the manufacture andd replace it

i for one would get the service plan with it. for one thing the plans around here at best buy, circuit city, tweeter have the bulb replacement for however long the service plan is and picture performance clause. here the catch with that, you buy the tv w the service plan for lets say 5 yrs. well lets say in year 4 nothing is wrong with the set. my advise is to call up the store and say you picture is off. something anything is wrong (its lost its sharpness is good) the tech comes out to fix it. then the next week or so call again and say its still not fixed, they have to come out again.
    the service plan has a no lemon law in it that is used all the time after 3 times your issue isnt fixed you get a new tv. now you have the latest tv out their after watching one for 4 years or so costing you nothing.
    all you have to do is complain.
    but id buy the proj or the flat panel its your choice.
    Thanks for all your input, it's really helpful. You seem to know a lot about TVs,I am leaning towards this one, http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDL-40V25...&s=electronics
    Does the bottom piece come off, so I can put it up on a wall?

Comment

Originally posted by LbloodOjunkieG
      Thanks for all your input, it's really helpful. You seem to know a lot about TVs,I am leaning towards this one, http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDL-40V25...&s=electronics
      Does the bottom piece come off, so I can put it up on a wall?
      Sweet! Our 32" one has a similar base stand which I had to install. Piece of cake. If you want the wall mount, you will have to buy that separately and simply do not install the base stand.
      :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69
        Sweet! Our 32" one has a similar base stand which I had to install. Piece of cake. If you want the wall mount, you will have to buy that separately and simply do not install the base stand.

yes the stand does come off and you can attach a wall bracket.
        you cant go wrong with sony they make a great tv.
        sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

Well, the saga continues.

I went and bought the surge protector that had the filter last night to the tune of $33.00 at Wal-Mart. I was discussing with the guy the problem at hand and he said it is the first he ever heard of this radio interference problem.

The box this protector came in, discussed this problem and how it would filter out radio signals.

It didn't.

I started switching all the plugs around to see if I could pinpoint the culprit. Multiple variations with the subwoofer plug, the dvd player, the satellite receiver and the tv itself.

Then Bingo. The TV cord itself is the problem acting like an antenna. It was unplugged and all I had to do was move it around and the radio music would increase then decrease as I moved it. I tried everything. I ended up routing the tv power cord away from the other cords and I finally found a location that it did not retreive the radio signal very much.

This was very bizarre and I was highly frustrated with this. Not sure what exactly I need to do next to completely eliminate the radio signal coming through the speakers. The surge protector was not the answer and like I said, the tv cord wasn't even plugged in when I was messing around with this.

sigpic

Comment

Well, the saga continues.

I went and bought the surge protector that had the filter last night to the tune of $33.00 at Wal-Mart. I was discussing with the guy the problem at hand and he said it is the first he ever heard of this radio interference problem.

The box this protector came in, discussed this problem and how it would filter out radio signals.

It didn't.

I started switching all the plugs around to see if I could pinpoint the culprit. Multiple variations with the subwoofer plug, the dvd player, the satellite receiver and the tv itself.

Then Bingo. The TV cord itself is the problem acting like an antenna. It was unplugged and all I had to do was move it around and the radio music would increase then decrease as I moved it. I tried everything. I ended up routing the tv power cord away from the other cords and I finally found a location that it did not retreive the radio signal very much.

This was very bizarre and I was highly frustrated with this. Not sure what exactly I need to do next to completely eliminate the radio signal coming through the speakers. The surge protector was not the answer and like I said, the tv cord wasn't even plugged in when I was messing around with this.

are you saying that if the tv isnt plugged in you still get this noise thru your spearker system????

also on your tv's electrical plug does it have the 3rd ground plug on it?????
            if so you may try to get one of those 3 plug to 2 plug adaptors for the tv sometimes the ground wiring in the house causes this to happen
            this is probably the case

or thru your coax cable they make a 75 ohm to 300 ohm adaptor
            you can find both at a radio shack store
            Last edited by saltybuggah; 02-06-2007, 10:01 AM.
            sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

Originally posted by lynchembaby
              are you saying that if the tv isnt plugged in you still get this noise thru your spearker system????

also on your tv's electrical plug does it have the 3rd ground plug on it?????
              if so you may try to get one of those 3 plug to 2 plug adaptors for the tv sometimes the ground wiring in the house causes this to happen
              this is probably the case

or thru your coax cable they make a 75 ohm to 300 ohm adaptor
              you can find both at a radio shack store
              LOL I know this all sounds whacky.

With the subwoofer plugged in, yes.... the unplugged TV power cord is the one causing the "antenna effect" as I will now call it. I took the power cord off of the back of the TV (it is able to disconnect) and it stopped. Once I plugged the cord back into the back of the TV, the radio signal came through again. It is as if the TV itself and it's power cord is acting like an antenna.

Yes... The end of the cord that plugs into the wall socket does have the 3 prong grounded end.

This is the craziest thing I have ever dealt with electronically. tOtAlLy WhAcKy

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me sort this out and try to figure out what the heck blam is going on here.

sigpic

Comment

LOL I know this all sounds whacky.

With the subwoofer plugged in, yes.... the unplugged TV power cord is the one causing the "antenna effect" as I will now call it. I took the power cord off of the back of the TV (it is able to disconnect) and it stopped. Once I plugged the cord back into the back of the TV, the radio signal came through again. It is as if the TV itself and it's power cord is acting like an antenna.

Yes... The end of the cord that plugs into the wall socket does have the 3 prong grounded end.

This is the craziest thing I have ever dealt with electronically. tOtAlLy WhAcKy

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me sort this out and try to figure out what the heck blam is going on here.

my advise is to try a 3 prong input to 2 outlet converter
                they fit on the end of the tv plug and just stop the ground there.
                it works just like a cap for the groud.
                you may have one around the house to try. usually small orange plugs they just allow you to plug a 3 prong cord into a 2 prong outlet.

you can find them at a radio shack maybe walmart but as you can see they dont really know about these sort of things.

also if your sub has a 3 prong plug get on for that as well, they aren't expensive a couple bucks.

this may or may not solve the issue, it usually works but ive havent heard of it doing this without the tv being plugged in

good luck and keep me posted.
                i dont mind helping people out, im at work now and have nothing going on so no big problem here
                sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

Working...
                X