Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Rome Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Official Rome Thread

    Tonight was the debute of HBO's Rome Season Two.

    For all those others what did you all think of this episode?

    I myself loved it and can't wait for next week! I myself, as many of you know, am a history freak (soon to be a full flegged Historian). Though I already know what is going to happen, it is quite different seeing it all act out right in front of you.
    The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

    The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Charlie Brown
    Tonight was the debute of HBO's Rome Season Two.

    For all those others what did you all think of this episode?

    I myself loved it and can't wait for next week! I myself, as many of you know, am a history freak (soon to be a full flegged Historian). Though I already know what is going to happen, it is quite different seeing it all act out right in front of you.
    I loved this episode too. My only complaint is that they didn't show Mark Antony's "Friends, Romans, Countrymen" speech. I thought it would've been emotionally powerful to show. Instead they just skipped over it.

    Like last season, it'll be interesting to see how they incorporate Vorenus and Pullo (two fictional characters) into the story. But I do love this show and I'm looking forward to next week. :thumb:
    sigpic

    "Today's the tomorrow that you should've feared yesterday."

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Ohio Broncos
      I loved this episode too. My only complaint is that they didn't show Mark Antony's "Friends, Romans, Countrymen" speech. I thought it would've been emotionally powerful to show. Instead they just skipped over it.

      Like last season, it'll be interesting to see how they incorporate Vorenus and Pullo (two fictional characters) into the story. But I do love this show and I'm looking forward to next week. :thumb:
      Vorenus and Pullo are real people. They were talked about in length in Caesar's Gaulic War and Civil War. There was little detail about their lives. But they, themselves did exist. Also, Mark Antony's 'Friends, Romans, Countrymen' speach were an invention of William Shakespeare. Just as 'Et Tu Brute' was an invention of Shakespeare. As a historian, I am extremely glad they didn't incorporate either speech.
      The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

      The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Charlie Brown
        Vorenus and Pullo are real people. They were talked about in length in Caesar's Gaulic War and Civil War. There was little detail about their lives. But they, themselves did exist. Also, Mark Antony's 'Friends, Romans, Countrymen' speach were an invention of William Shakespeare. Just as 'Et Tu Brute' was an invention of Shakespeare. As a historian, I am extremely glad they didn't incorporate either speech.
        I stand corrected.

        Still, Mark Antony gave a speech and I would've liked to have heard it.
        sigpic

        "Today's the tomorrow that you should've feared yesterday."

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ohio Broncos
          I stand corrected.

          Still, Mark Antony gave a speech and I would've liked to have heard it.
          Aye, when Rome started up in its first season I knew the names Vorenus and Pullo looked familiar. So I had to pull out my Gaulic Wars and Civil War copies. Sure enough, he mentioned them several times. That whole 'Et Tu Brute' lingo was first mentioned in the 5th Century CE if memory is right and it was 'Et Tu Mi Figli'. Meaning, 'You too, my son?'. But even that phrasing is dubious because it was more than 5 centuries after Caesar himself was killed. The major historical irrelevancy they showed that I noticed immediately, was that Cleopatra was never in Rome on the series. She moved to Rome with Caesar and they flaunted their sexuality in Rome. Then, also, the Senate House was being renovated on the day Caesar was killed. An emergency session was held in Pompey's villa. It was there that Caesar was killed, at the foot of Pompey's statue and eyewitness accounts from the time period state that Caesar himself was praying at the foot of Pompey's statue. I'm sure they didn't have Antony's speach because of time constraints and the fast pace of the episode.
          The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

          The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

          Comment


          • #6
            I love Jim Rome. I think he is the best Sport talk Show host in the business............ oh wait the HBO Show never seen it
            Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

            Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
            sigpic

            Comment

            Working...
            X