Is Die Hard a Christmas Movie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Die Hard a Christmas Movie?

I say hell no but it's on every "Best Christmas Movie" list. What say you?
    Yes
    41.67%
    No
    33.33%
    Yippee-Ki-Yay
    25.00%

HELL YES! My family and I watch it every year & we love it!
    "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Christmas = Christ's Mass, celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ, the Prince of Peace –not the Prince of Machine guns & Explosions. I like Die Hard but it is in fact a violent movie and Jesus and Christmas have nothing to do with promoting violence.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

to me it is. the movie literally takes place on Christmas eve and he uses Christmas wrapping to kill hans at the end, nuff said.

Comment

Doesn’t ever make my cut of movies to watch every December.
          sigpic

Comment

I don't watch it every year, but I'm always in the mood for it around Christmas. "Scrooged" with Bill Murray is my favorite, but "Die Hard" is a close second for me.
            sigpic
            Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
            Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
            Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton
            Adopted Bronco - 2021/22 - Shelby Harris

Comment

No, it’s not a Christmas movie!!!
              My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
              You Mad Bro?
              Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by DevilSpawn View Post
                I say hell no but it's on every "Best Christmas Movie" list. What say you?
                Yes, and Fight Club is a love story.
                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

If it doesn’t feel weird to watch the movie in July, it’s not a Christmas movie.

Die Hard is a year round watch.
                  My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                  You Mad Bro?
                  Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Of course it's a xmas movie. It's my first watch every xmas season... along with Christmas Vacation and my wife's favorite, White Christmas

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                      If it doesn’t feel weird to watch the movie in July, it’s not a Christmas movie.

Die Hard is a year round watch.
                      Agreed, its Christmas time setting is incidental, not integral or thematic.

Comment

I’m on the fence. I know it’s popular to say it’s a Xmas movie. But I feel like if the question has to be asked it’s because it’s really a no.

No one ever has to question if the Santa Clause is a Xmas movie.

Besides what’s Xmas spirit about a bunch of bodies hitting the floor?
                        sigpic

Comment

It can also serve as a New Year's Eve movie. If you time it just right, Hans Gruber falling off Nakatomi can ring in the new year.

To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
                            It can also serve as a New Year's Eve movie. If you time it just right, Hans Gruber falling off Nakatomi can ring in the new year.

That works! The only reason it's set at Christmas is because that's the best time to reconcile with an estranged spouse –capitalizing on the holiday spirit, and that's the backstory that serves as a plot device to get a gritty NY cop into a L.A. situation. But New Year's Eve would have worked just as well – people feel lonely then, chance for a new beginning, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by L.M. View Post

Agreed, its Christmas time setting is incidental, not integral or thematic.
                              I'll add that after I watch Die Hard, I do NOT feel like watching Elf and Christmas Vacation next... more like Lethal Weapon and Above the Law –other, memorable cop movies of the '80s!!

Comment

Working...
                              X