Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disney Plus shows

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Disney Plus shows

    Anyone else here as addicted to Disney+ new content as I am?

    Particularly for me, Marvel and Star Wars stuff...

    I can't get enough of both the content, as well as the discussions.

    I would love to have another place to come to discuss all of this... if there was interest, I would definitely take place in either one giant D+ conversation, or multiple split up ones on a per-show basis. Full on spoiler discussions, primarily.

    Like this week... all sorts of thoughts on Boba Fett show... and then the trailer for Moon Knight?! Come on!

    I'm already getting into the theory-crafting and such for Moon Knight... it kills me that there's going to be 6 weeks between Boba Fett and Moon Knight... but I'm super excited that we're getting Moon Knight next! I thought it would be towards the end of the year, and after She-Hulk and Ms. Marvel. I'm excited for both of those shows as well... but nowhere near as much as I am for Moon Knight.

    Anyway.... anyone as addicted to talking about Marvel and Star Wars as I am? Want to vent and theorize with me? I need outlets for this stuff, dangit!

  • #2
    I have some catching up with the starwars stuff. Though i'm looking forward to obi-wan. Just finished up Loki and Hawkeye which both were pretty good. I haven't watched "what if? yet. Moon Knight looks cool, though it's not the marc spector version from the comics. I dunno why disney would change his origin.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Tony View Post
      I have some catching up with the starwars stuff. Though i'm looking forward to obi-wan. Just finished up Loki and Hawkeye which both were pretty good. I haven't watched "what if? yet. Moon Knight looks cool, though it's not the marc spector version from the comics. I dunno why disney would change his origin.
      They've done a good job thus far of showing mainly stuff from the first few episodes in the trailers only, and to not reveal too much.

      It is definitely Marc Spector though, the majority of the trailer just shows him not realizing it. He gets a phone call from someone who says 'Marc? Where have you been?' And he just says 'Why did you call me Marc?'

      Comment


      • #4
        I thought Mandalorian was good. Better than Witcher on Netflix so far. I wish they'd added more of the philosophical elements of The Witcher to the series. I doubt there'll be any conversations with ancient vampires about empirical knowledge in the show anytime soon. Boba Fett's been decent so far as well. I hope Moon Knight is at least as good as Daredevil was on Netflix. The rest of the Marvel shows on Netflix stunk, I thought. Loki was decent. Pretty cool how they ended it. I haven't watched any of the other Disney shows like Hawkeye. Characters do nothing for me, but my wife thought they were good. I'm with you on Moon Knight. I hope they get it right.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
          I thought Mandalorian was good. Better than Witcher on Netflix so far. I wish they'd added more of the philosophical elements of The Witcher to the series. I doubt there'll be any conversations with ancient vampires about empirical knowledge in the show anytime soon. Boba Fett's been decent so far as well. I hope Moon Knight is at least as good as Daredevil was on Netflix. The rest of the Marvel shows on Netflix stunk, I thought. Loki was decent. Pretty cool how they ended it. I haven't watched any of the other Disney shows like Hawkeye. Characters do nothing for me, but my wife thought they were good. I'm with you on Moon Knight. I hope they get it right.
          I've not yet watched Witcher, but its at or near the top of my games to play list... I just missed out on playing it on Gamepass though, but I do own it on Steam.

          I liked most of the Netflix shows ok. Daredevil was the standout overall, Jessica Jones S1 was the strongest single season for me. Luke Cage was mostly good, Iron Fist was the weakest but really looked like it was getting better right before it got cancelled. I enjoyed Punisher. We don't talk about 'Defenders' though.

          Hawkeye was pretty awesome, tbh. It is probably my 3rd favorite of the Marvel shows thus far, but it's pretty close. I think they're worth a watch obviously... they've done a great job at fleshing out characters that haven't gotten as much attention in the movies.

          WandaVision and Loki are my two top favorite of the Marvel shows thus far (in that order), and they're both a trip, and absolutely amazing, IMO. Up there with Mandalorian. I highly recommend at least WandaVision... it's a very different show, particularly in the beginning, but it's so very good. Both it and possibly 'What If?' will tie in with the next Dr. Strange movie, though I'm sure they'll do it in such a way that you'll get at least enough explanation of what's going on in the movie where you're not missing out if you don't watch... but it's probably still well worth it, IMO.

          Boba Fett is good overall, though the episodes that Rodriguez (the showrunner) has directed have been the weaker two (Eps 1 and 3)... this last one was great. Rodriguez is directing one more of the final three supposedly, so hopefully that one ends up more like the episode of Mandalorian he did (the one where Boba shows up and gets his armor).

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post

            I've not yet watched Witcher, but its at or near the top of my games to play list... I just missed out on playing it on Gamepass though, but I do own it on Steam.

            I liked most of the Netflix shows ok. Daredevil was the standout overall, Jessica Jones S1 was the strongest single season for me. Luke Cage was mostly good, Iron Fist was the weakest but really looked like it was getting better right before it got cancelled. I enjoyed Punisher. We don't talk about 'Defenders' though.

            Hawkeye was pretty awesome, tbh. It is probably my 3rd favorite of the Marvel shows thus far, but it's pretty close. I think they're worth a watch obviously... they've done a great job at fleshing out characters that haven't gotten as much attention in the movies.

            WandaVision and Loki are my two top favorite of the Marvel shows thus far (in that order), and they're both a trip, and absolutely amazing, IMO. Up there with Mandalorian. I highly recommend at least WandaVision... it's a very different show, particularly in the beginning, but it's so very good. Both it and possibly 'What If?' will tie in with the next Dr. Strange movie, though I'm sure they'll do it in such a way that you'll get at least enough explanation of what's going on in the movie where you're not missing out if you don't watch... but it's probably still well worth it, IMO.

            Boba Fett is good overall, though the episodes that Rodriguez (the showrunner) has directed have been the weaker two (Eps 1 and 3)... this last one was great. Rodriguez is directing one more of the final three supposedly, so hopefully that one ends up more like the episode of Mandalorian he did (the one where Boba shows up and gets his armor).
            Okay, sold. Think I'll check them out when I run out of stuff to watch. You know what's funny about Rodriguez, is I thought Sin City was great, and I couldn't even watch a couple of his other movies.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post

              Okay, sold. Think I'll check them out when I run out of stuff to watch. You know what's funny about Rodriguez, is I thought Sin City was great, and I couldn't even watch a couple of his other movies.
              I liked Sin City... never really got into the other stuff he did... I heard people talking about him as a director in the reddit discussions on the show and assumed it was some artsy guy or something... when I found out he was the guy from Spy Kids (never watched), some of the issues in his episodes made more sense.

              He's the showrunner, which is interesting... he's apparently better at showrunning than directing. I hope that's all he does for Disney moving forward, if anything. Nothing against the guy personally, but the action and effects seem to suffer under his direction.

              Yeah, I definitely recommend giving all the Marvel shows a watch when you have time. Definitely WandaVision prior to Dr. Strange, which gives you some time. If you've seen the trailer for Dr. Strange, there's a scene where Strange is going to talk to Wanda. *Pretty* sure that was originally planned to be the post-credit from Wandavision, but covid and timing didn't work out. That's all I'll say on that for spoiler reasons.

              Both Olson and Bettany blew me away in Wandavision, and I was already a fan of both (Olson just for her MCU work, but still...)

              Any time I talk about the show, I'm tempted to go rewatch, because if I don't get too engrossed and pause it every time I have to actually work, I can watch the whole season of these D+ shows in a work day as background noise.

              If I pause when I get tied into work though, it takes me a whole day to watch an episode. I'm halfway through rewatching Boba Fett Ep. 4.
              Last edited by LordTrychon; 01-20-2022, 09:12 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                I wanted a 2nd season for wandavision, Hopefully, if Strange 2 does well, disney might reconsider a second season. Agatha gets a spinoff series, which could be interesting. I guess we'll see.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Tony View Post
                  I wanted a 2nd season for wandavision, Hopefully, if Strange 2 does well, disney might reconsider a second season. Agatha gets a spinoff series, which could be interesting. I guess we'll see.
                  I think that we are definitely getting more of the story of Wanda and Vision after WandaVision. No telling how much of that story will be in Dr. Strange Multiverse of Madness or where it goes after that.

                  I think it's entirely possible there will be more to the story that goes to the small screen or the big screen after that... in fact, I think it's probable. Unlike Loki though, which directly leads into Loki 2, which they've already confirmed... the next step of that story at the very least wouldn't fit with the name WandaVision. That is/was a fully contained story that the name was a play on the theme, and the next season if there is one, would have a different name.

                  It's possible, and probably likely, that the next major step in that story after Dr Strange 2 is in Agatha's series.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Episode 5 of Boba Fett was borderline legendary.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
                      Episode 5 of Boba Fett was borderline legendary.
                      Episode 5 was amazing. Episode 6 was nearly as amazing. I'm not sure how they're going to wrap up the story in one more episode, but I get that feeling towards the end of most of the D+ shows.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post

                        Episode 5 was amazing. Episode 6 was nearly as amazing. I'm not sure how they're going to wrap up the story in one more episode, but I get that feeling towards the end of most of the D+ shows.
                        Interesting. My wife and I both hated episodes 5 and 6. We didn’t mind some small tie ins to Mandalorian but we thought it was very stupid turning a show about Bobba fett into Mandalorian season 2.5. And not even having Bobba fett back in his own show until episode 7.

                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post

                          Interesting. My wife and I both hated episodes 5 and 6. We didn’t mind some small tie ins to Mandalorian but we thought it was very stupid turning a show about Bobba fett into Mandalorian season 2.5. And not even having Bobba fett back in his own show until episode 7.
                          Yeah, and that's a fair point.

                          I would agree that there were some interesting decisions made there as far as how a lot of that was handled.

                          It didn't bother me nearly as much as many others (you're not alone in your view), largely because I'd already accepted the fact that they're working on a 'MandoVerse'... a group of interconnected stories in this time range. Truth is that Book of Boba Fett's early working title was in fact 'Mando Season 2.5'. Ming Na Wen reportedly was a few weeks into filming before realizing they were filming Book of Boba Fett, not Mandalorian.

                          I think they felt they had to do some of that because of the importance of some Mandolorian lore that they shared particularly in Ep 5. I think the lore explored there will end up being important to the future of Boba Fett's story.

                          Alternatively, the higher ups just insisted they get that part of the story out of the way so that Grogu wasn't missing for an episode or two in Mando S3.
                          I wish that perhaps they would have left some of that for Mando S3, and showed a bit of it and then the rest in flashbacks or something in Mando... or just extended the season another episode or two so that Boba Fett's story had a few more loose ends tied up. Though rumor has it that the Mando content is why Boba Fett was extended from 6 episodes to 7.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post

                            Yeah, and that's a fair point.

                            I would agree that there were some interesting decisions made there as far as how a lot of that was handled.

                            It didn't bother me nearly as much as many others (you're not alone in your view), largely because I'd already accepted the fact that they're working on a 'MandoVerse'... a group of interconnected stories in this time range. Truth is that Book of Boba Fett's early working title was in fact 'Mando Season 2.5'. Ming Na Wen reportedly was a few weeks into filming before realizing they were filming Book of Boba Fett, not Mandalorian.

                            I think they felt they had to do some of that because of the importance of some Mandolorian lore that they shared particularly in Ep 5. I think the lore explored there will end up being important to the future of Boba Fett's story.

                            Alternatively, the higher ups just insisted they get that part of the story out of the way so that Grogu wasn't missing for an episode or two in Mando S3.
                            I wish that perhaps they would have left some of that for Mando S3, and showed a bit of it and then the rest in flashbacks or something in Mando... or just extended the season another episode or two so that Boba Fett's story had a few more loose ends tied up. Though rumor has it that the Mando content is why Boba Fett was extended from 6 episodes to 7.
                            It was just very disappointing because we were very into the first four episodes. And the end halfway through episode 5 my wife goes “Why is this entire episode about the Mandalorian?” And then when episode 6 started and it appeared to be the same process she almost quit watching. And it’s not even that we don’t love the Mandalorian. We just wanted more of the Bobba Fett story.
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post

                              It was just very disappointing because we were very into the first four episodes. And the end halfway through episode 5 my wife goes “Why is this entire episode about the Mandalorian?” And then when episode 6 started and it appeared to be the same process she almost quit watching. And it’s not even that we don’t love the Mandalorian. We just wanted more of the Bobba Fett story.
                              Yeah, and even as a ginormous fan of everything they did in Ep 5 in particular, I definitely can respect that... and I definitely wanted more Boba Fett as well.

                              At the same time, if we're being completely truthful, it felt like the production, writing, and budget in a lot of the Boba Fett episodes were substandard for what Disney+ normally does, and I was starting to worry that it would be 'the new normal'. Ep 5 came out and was amazing, and it made me feel a lot better.

                              I have since found out that Robert Rodriguez (showrunner) is known for doing things on short time and money budgets... and maybe they brought him in so they could rush it, or maybe it felt rushed because they brought him in. The episodes he personally directed had some of the worst instances. I appreciate what he did with Boba Fett, and I don't want to trash on him, but I also hope we don't see too much more of him in the Star Wars universe.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X