Are you partial to home grown music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you partial to home grown music?

Just curious if you guys are partial to homegrown music. What I mean by this is if you know some people in your area, or the tri-state area, etc. who are local, big - but dedicated and true to their roots, are you more partial to them than other bands? This might be a weird topic, but I always find myself more interesting in say, hip-hop groups from the Twin Cities, or the Midwest because their rhymes and reason seem to relate more to me than elsewhere. I've been in some rough places, but I just can't relate to a lot of other rap music, and perhaps other music out there because my life experience are a little different.

Anyone feel like me?

When I was in college I definately followed the local/regional scene more. There were a lot of great bands in Lawrence, KS when I was there in the early 90's. I always went to their shows and bought the cd's. I'm glad I did because 15 years later I'm still listening to alot of that stuff.
    "It's okay to be a cliche....Everything under the sun has been done."

Comment

Oh yes. Its sad, a lot of talanted people out there who never get noticed by the mass media machine......then they would starve without full time jobs and careers. This then keeps them from fully persuing their craft and their potential is never fully realized.

I know someone like this

I am no longer in the local club scene (didnt ever play in a gigging bar band anyway). I play out twice a week at church. You would really be suprised how good the music is in some churches these days.

I am actually wanting to start or join a local christian rock band.....but people my age are too busy working and making babys and raising families....lol.
      Last edited by GuitarJ; 03-22-2007, 04:49 PM.
      sigpic

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_1804775

Comment

haha, i'm from Montana not much here.

except Endever is pretty bad ass
        the space that is mine

We miss 'ya brother dime. We know your up there jamming with Cliff and Chuck. Stay metal :salute: :rockon:

Comment

I'm really into the roots of Chi Town Hip-Hop. NOT Kanye West.

Comment

We have local wannabe's but nothing worth mentioning.

In Cincinnati however, there was a band that I really enjoyed watching while they played on the river boat clubs. The last time I saw them they played on the Kentucky side of the river in a boat club. Cant remember the name of the club but...

The band was called "Uncle Daddy and the Family Secret" LOL

These guys were fun, original and very funny. I bought their CD and had them all autograph it.

Perhaps WhoDey or other Cincy Folks could help with the name of the place right over the bridge near Newport. It is a boat/bar on the Ohio River.
            :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

The only band I still follow from Colorado is Big Head Todd and the Monsters. They just had a great show in Boulder a few weeks ago. Those guys are pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69
                We have local wannabe's but nothing worth mentioning.

In Cincinnati however, there was a band that I really enjoyed watching while they played on the river boat clubs. The last time I saw them they played on the Kentucky side of the river in a boat club. Cant remember the name of the club but...

The band was called "Uncle Daddy and the Family Secret" LOL

These guys were fun, original and very funny. I bought their CD and had them all autograph it.

Perhaps WhoDey or other Cincy Folks could help with the name of the place right over the bridge near Newport. It is a boat/bar on the Ohio River.
                I'll give it a shot.

There's a place called JB Finn's on the river near Newport. It's an outdoor venue, right between a Hooter's and a Beer Sellar (yes, I spelled it right) on a barge. There's also the big barge in Covington with the Yucatan Liquor Stand and a Friday's, but I doubt that's it. Then there's the Don Pablos barge, and the Mike Fink's barge...

Boy, we've got some barges here.
                HEAR ME ROAR!
                sigpic
                Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Comment

Originally posted by WhoDeyBengals
                  I'll give it a shot.

There's a place called JB Finn's on the river near Newport. It's an outdoor venue, right between a Hooter's and a Beer Sellar (yes, I spelled it right) on a barge. There's also the big barge in Covington with the Yucatan Liquor Stand and a Friday's, but I doubt that's it. Then there's the Don Pablos barge, and the Mike Fink's barge...

Boy, we've got some barges here.
                  LOL Barges Gallore. And what you mentioned is familiar but not it.

I-75 has the major bridge. Go East on Cincy side (Pete Rose Avenue)and the next bridge is the one that used to be next to old Riverfront Stadium looks like the old Brooklin bridge in a small way. You go over the bridge, head back right (west) and it was the first one on the right, riverside. Geezus this is driving me nuts now.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69
                    LOL Barges Gallore. And what you mentioned is familiar but not it.

I-75 has the major bridge. Go East on Cincy side (Pete Rose Avenue)and the next bridge is the one that used to be next to old Riverfront Stadium looks like the old Brooklin bridge in a small way. You go over the bridge, head back right (west) and it was the first one on the right, riverside. Geezus this is driving me nuts now.
                    Okay, I stuck around just to give you this response, so I hope it's right, because I GOTTA get to bed.

You're talking about the Suspension bridge, I assume. FYI - Great American Ballpark is STILL right next to the suspension bridge, because the land that GABP uses is partially on old Riverfront Stadium property - that's why the city had to tear down the stands behind left field in the old stadium.

The barge you're describing HAS to be the same barge that the Yucatan is on - it's the only one immediately west of the suspension bridge... unless you're talking about the Waterfront, which I think is right there too.

Damn, I don't go down that way much anymore.

Okay, I'm going to bed. PM me if that still doesn't sound right and I'll dig some more.
                    HEAR ME ROAR!
                    sigpic
                    Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Comment

Okay, I stuck around just to give you this response, so I hope it's right, because I GOTTA get to bed.

You're talking about the Suspension bridge, I assume. FYI - Great American Ballpark is STILL right next to the suspension bridge, because the land that GABP uses is partially on old Riverfront Stadium property - that's why the city had to tear down the stands behind left field in the old stadium.

The barge you're describing HAS to be the same barge that the Yucatan is on - it's the only one immediately west of the suspension bridge... unless you're talking about the Waterfront, which I think is right there too.

Damn, I don't go down that way much anymore.

Okay, I'm going to bed. PM me if that still doesn't sound right and I'll dig some more.
                      I need to check into this deeper. Not going to happen now.

Nighty night my friend.

sigpic

Comment

We have some great local music.

Eternal Silence
                        http://www.myspace.com/eternalsilence

Sentenced to Die
                        http://www.myspace.com/sentencedtodie

Jungle Rot
                        http://www.myspace.com/junglerot

Comment

At the bottom of my sig...there's a play list link.

Velcro Pygmies & Black Stone Cherry

Now that I see a lot of stuff on my play list won't play now & I have to go and edit stuff out.
                          COPYWRITED MATERIAL Copyright © 1975 by Dr Velcro

Comment

I like The Fray. They came from Colorado and I helped make them famous by voting their music in on 93.3, the station that gave them a chance!

Comment

I'll give it a shot.

There's a place called JB Finn's on the river near Newport.
                              I apologize my friend. This is in fact what it was called. Sorry to keep you up so late. lol.

Originally posted by CinnaManMan
                              I like The Fray. They came from Colorado and I helped make them famous by voting their music in on 93.3, the station that gave them a chance!
                              That made me think of Big Head Todd and the Monsters from Boulder. I think I said that right. Anyway, they made CD's and got radio play on KBCO mainly. But living in Vegas, I used to hear them. Thought that was neato.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X