Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Greatest Band of my Generation

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Greatest Band of my Generation



    I've come to the conclusion that these guys are it...Probably my favorite band, easily top 3. Tool is the new Pink Floyd. They have always put their music first and kept the limelight, media etc. secondary... As a result, they are widely misunderstood and miscategorized. There really is no classification for them, Progressive Rock, or Nu Metal don't do them justice. I suppose you could just say Rock, but even that doesn't encompass their sound.

    Anyway, they are playing in the Springs on Wednesday night (May 9th)... I don't think I've anticipated a show this much in years, if ever. Danny Carey is one of the best drummers in the world (subjective statement I know). Lateralus is probably my favorite song of all time.

    I don't know where I'm going with all of this, so I'll leave you with this:

    Top 5 Tool Songs of all time, go listen to them if you haven't already:

    5.)10,000 Days Pts. 1 & 2
    4.)Stinkfist
    3.)Eulogy
    2.)Sober
    1.)Lateralus




    (btw, I had a similar post the other day but it got buried, sorry if this is a repeat for some.)


  • #2
    Lateralus is one of my top 5 favorite CDs. I'm gonna see them on June 1st

    R.I.P. Darrent & Damien

    Comment


    • #3
      tool is aptly named

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Navin Johnson_
        tool is aptly named
        Actually, it is a good name. Tool is symbolic of their music- which they use as a tool to convey their thoughts, feelings, etc. etc.

        Plus you could take that a step further and say that they are using instruments (tools) which they use to compose their music (the greater tool).
        Last edited by JWinn; 05-08-2007, 10:35 PM. Reason: leave the personal stuff out of this please......

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Buff_bronc_fan


          I've come to the conclusion that these guys are it...Probably my favorite band, easily top 3. Tool is the new Pink Floyd. They have always put their music first and kept the limelight, media etc. secondary... As a result, they are widely misunderstood and miscategorized. There really is no classification for them, Progressive Rock, or Nu Metal don't do them justice. I suppose you could just say Rock, but even that doesn't encompass their sound.

          Anyway, they are playing in the Springs on Wednesday night (May 9th)... I don't think I've anticipated a show this much in years, if ever. Danny Carey is one of the best drummers in the world (subjective statement I know). Lateralus is probably my favorite song of all time.

          I don't know where I'm going with all of this, so I'll leave you with this:

          Top 5 Tool Songs of all time, go listen to them if you haven't already:

          5.)10,000 Days Pts. 1 & 2
          4.)Stinkfist
          3.)Eulogy
          2.)Sober
          1.)Lateralus




          (btw, I had a similar post the other day but it got buried, sorry if this is a repeat for some.)
          You probably know the answer to this, and I'm too lazy to look it up. A few years ago I saw Nine Inch Nails the band A Perfect Circle opened for them. My friend said it was made of of some members of Tool, possibly a side band. Is that true or is my memory fuzzy?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by MasterShake
            You probably know the answer to this, and I'm too lazy to look it up. A few years ago I saw Nine Inch Nails the band A Perfect Circle opened for them. My friend said it was made of of some members of Tool, possibly a side band. Is that true or is my memory fuzzy?
            Yeah, that's Maynard's (the singer) other band. They're really good too, but I think Maynard has said they aren't going to do anything new anymore.

            R.I.P. Darrent & Damien

            Comment


            • #7
              In 1992 I was working at the Athletes Foot in downtown Lawrence, KS and I sold a couple of pairs of shoes to a guy from Tool. I'm not sure which one. I did not know who they were and we were talking about the Henry Rollins show down the street and I said my cousins band Slackjaw was one of the opening bands, they informed me they were the other opening band. That was kind of cool.
              I am not a huge fan now but I like alot of their stuff.
              "It's okay to be a cliche....Everything under the sun has been done."

              Comment


              • #8
                Classic band!!!!

                TOOL RULES!!!!
                I owe CP's to: no one

                Comment


                • #9
                  Sig


                  "When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
                  - Carl Sagan

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    A Perfect Circle is bad a$$, and it would suck if they didn't make any more music. But nothing I know compares to TOOL.

                    1) Forty Six & 2
                    2) Hooker With A *****
                    3) Third Eye
                    4) Lateralus
                    5) Opiate

                    Vicarious was one of my favorites til the radio stations gave it a loooong, sloooow painful death before the CD was even released.

                    Buff bronc fan you clearly have excellent taste!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      What an amazing show last night... Awesome, simply awesome. Their whole set was awesome, I would have liked to have heard some more of their older material, but naturally they are going to play more material from their most recent CD. I think 10,000 Days (Wings for Maria Pts. 1 & 2) could be one of the most epic songs I have ever seen live. It's a 16 minute ode to Maynard's mother, and is an amazingly powerful song that builds and builds.

                      I didn't get home til like 2 am and now sit at work semi-hung over with ears ringing-- but it was well worth it.

                      I'll do my best to recap the set list:

                      Jambi
                      Stink Fist
                      46 & 2
                      Rossetta Stoned
                      Schism
                      Right in Two
                      10,000 Days (Wings for Maria Pt. 1)
                      10,000 Days (Wings for Maria Pt. 2)
                      Lateralus
                      Vicarious
                      Aenima

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I went last year (9-14 in Dallas) and from what I remember the setlist was:

                        Stinkfist
                        The Pot
                        Jambi
                        Schism (not sure where this was, somewhere near the start)
                        46 & 2
                        Rosetta Stoned
                        Wings for Marie 1 & 2 (great crowd here)
                        Lateralus
                        Vicarious
                        Aenema


                        The crowd was rocking and the band really responded well. Maynard had some funny quips too.


                        I wish they had played Right in Two, that's one of my favorite songs. It also has the best drumming by Danny Carey out of any of Tool's songs (imo).


                        "When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
                        - Carl Sagan

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Never could really get into tool.

                          Mostly because of maynards vocals.

                          They're great musicians though. Danny Carey is a BAMF.
                          the space that is mine



                          We miss 'ya brother dime. We know your up there jamming with Cliff and Chuck. Stay metal :salute: :rockon:

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by NameUsedBefore
                            I went last year (9-14 in Dallas) and from what I remember the setlist was:

                            Stinkfist
                            The Pot
                            Jambi
                            Schism (not sure where this was, somewhere near the start)
                            46 & 2
                            Rosetta Stoned
                            Wings for Marie 1 & 2 (great crowd here)
                            Lateralus
                            Vicarious
                            Aenema


                            The crowd was rocking and the band really responded well. Maynard had some funny quips too.


                            I wish they had played Right in Two, that's one of my favorite songs. It also has the best drumming by Danny Carey out of any of Tool's songs (imo).
                            Yeah, that sounds similar to the setlist they played when I saw them last summer/fall... Noteably missing from this show were The Pot and Sober, both of which they played at the last show...

                            They also added a drum solo in the middle of Lateralus which was awesome... Hard to improve upon such a great song, but they found a way.

                            I was glad to see Right in Two, and I agree, Danny rips during that song... However, I had been reading reviews of the different shows and they were pretty much alternating between Right in Two and Push it... I would have LOVED to see push it, so I was almost a little disappointed when they started Right in Two because I knew that they weren't gonna play Push It.

                            Wings was absolutely F'ing epic... It's an amazing song- rapdily moving up my all time fav. songs by Tool. The lasers and screens showing clouds moving across the sky pretty much topped it off...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              never heard of them before

                              but im listening to them now and i like it


                              Thanks man

                              RIP Darrent It's been one year, Gone but never Forgotten.

                              I Adopted JayCutler4MVP!!! and DJ Williams

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X