Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about computer printers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question about computer printers

    So my current printer is FUBAR.

    and I need a new one, and quick.

    I know very little about printers other than the fact they put ink on to paper.

    This time I want a printer with a scanner. So I have to printers in mind. One is 10 bucks more than the other. So I though for the extra 10 bucks it has to be better. Than I was looking at all these numbers and what not.

    So the box says the following:

    HP: 600 x 600 max dpi color (what the hell is DPI and is 600 x 600 good?)

    Lexmark: 4800 x 1200 max dpi color

    In most cases bigger is better. There are very few times where smaller is better. Like golf, or dept.

    so for printers is 600 x 600 better quality print than 4800 x 1200?

    cp for those who can help.

    p.s. will any of these printers work with dell laptops?

    thanks.
    Last edited by Bronco_Armada; 05-17-2007, 02:27 PM.
    sigpic

  • #2
    DPI is dots per inch (I think). The higher the number, the better picture quality.

    It also should work with a laptop. Check to make sure it comes with a USB cord that connects the two.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by CinnaMunMun
      DPI is dots per inch (I think). The higher the number, the better picture quality.

      It also should work with a laptop. Check to make sure it comes with a USB cord that connects the two.
      Yup, DPI is dots per inch. I have a Lexmark scanner/copier/printer that I got for like $100 two years ago and it works great with my laptop.

      Comment


      • #4
        DPI = Dots per inch, like in most cases with computers, higher number = better quality.

        You want to decide between Laser or Inkjet.

        Laser is better if youre going to be printing lots and lots of business documents.

        Inkjet is better if its just for plain home use and you want color.

        If youre just doing Black and White at home, I'd reccomend a cheap B&W laser, because the price per page is much cheaper.

        I'd need to know what youre looking to use your printer for to help you better.

        (I used to be a sales person for Staples, in case you couldn't tell)


        Go Cougs! Go Broncos!

        Thanks tons Broncosfreak_56!

        Comment


        • #5
          I would reccomend off the bat, guessing youre not going to be doing bulk business documents.

          http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...&cmArea=SEARCH

          Great cost per page, due to the Black 5 cartridge, which is a bulk black. The price per page is down around that of most lasers. You also get quality in the photo printing area.

          Although its not a 6 color photo, it still makes very high quality photos, if you're using just a standard digital camera and nothing fancy, it should be fine for them.

          Almost all Cannons are built with quality components, this is the case for the MP600 as well. Very reliable, very fast, great brand name.

          This printer does not duplex, and has a relatively small paper fied though.


          Go Cougs! Go Broncos!

          Thanks tons Broncosfreak_56!

          Comment


          • #6
            If that one doesn't suit you, just PM me or post here: Price Range, What you will be using the printer for, exact features you need (Duplex, Different All-In-One components), Photos?, etc.


            Go Cougs! Go Broncos!

            Thanks tons Broncosfreak_56!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by CinnaMunMun
              DPI is dots per inch (I think). The higher the number, the better picture quality.

              It also should work with a laptop. Check to make sure it comes with a USB cord that connects the two.
              All printers made in the last 8-10 years are USB. But they do not come with the USB cable. If you're needing a cable you will have to buy seperately.


              Go Cougs! Go Broncos!

              Thanks tons Broncosfreak_56!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Bronco_Armada
                So my current printer is FUBAR.

                and I need a new one, and quick.

                I know very little about printers other than the fact they put ink on to paper.

                This time I want a printer with a scanner. So I have to printers in mind. One is 10 bucks more than the other. So I though for the extra 10 bucks it has to be better. Than I was looking at all these numbers and what not.

                So the box says the following:

                HP: 600 x 600 max dpi color (what the hell is DPI and is 600 x 600 good?)

                Lexmark: 4800 x 1200 max dpi color

                In most cases bigger is better. There are very few times where smaller is better. Like golf, or dept.

                so for printers is 600 x 600 better quality print than 4800 x 1200?

                cp for those who can help.

                p.s. will any of these printers work with dell laptops?

                thanks.
                4800x1200 dpi is pretty much a "photo" quality printer. Depending on how many colors it uses. Some take 4 some take up to 10.

                If you're just using it for standard black and white a 600x600 dpi CMYK color printer or black and white laser printer would do just fine.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks all for the help!

                  Sorry for the late "bump" been tied up the past few days, finishing up college finals and what not. Plus finishing another year of college.

                  have to drink to that.




                  -Giving out CP.
                  Last edited by Bronco_Armada; 05-20-2007, 10:33 AM.
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Bronco_Armada
                    Thanks all for the help!

                    Sorry for the late "bump" been tied up the past few days, finishing up college finals and what not. Plus finishing another year of college.

                    have to drink to that.




                    -Giving out CP.
                    You might want to check out www.newegg.com, they have some of the best prices around, inexspensive shipping, and most items have quite a few user reviews discussing the pros and cons of products.
                    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      One problem about almost all inkjet printers is the water based inks used to make the print. Get your paper wet and all that ink runs like a Boston marathoner. HP, Xerox and other major competitors are working on making non-water based ink to solve this problem. Given the cost of laser printers and the cost of ink vs. toner it might be worth it to get a laser printer. Even color laser printers aren't that expensive at less than double a BW laser printer. Yes I'm looking at replacing my printer too.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by TheGlue Factory
                        One problem about almost all inkjet printers is the water based inks used to make the print. Get your paper wet and all that ink runs like a Boston marathoner. HP, Xerox and other major competitors are working on making non-water based ink to solve this problem. Given the cost of laser printers and the cost of ink vs. toner it might be worth it to get a laser printer. Even color laser printers aren't that expensive at less than double a BW laser printer. Yes I'm looking at replacing my printer too.
                        I recently switched to an inexpensive laser for most printing at home. I still have a color printer for printing photos, printing on CDs/DVDs, etc., but my main printer is a Dell 1100 laser now. Dell, HP and others now make low end laser printers (black, not color) and you can get replacement toner cartridges that will print 2,000-4,000 pages for $50-70.
                        The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X