Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFL scuttles the US version of Football Wives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL scuttles the US version of Football Wives?

If anyone here has seen the original UK version of Footballer's Wives, then you know it can be a tad over the top!

Apparently the NFL is not too happy about American Football being portrayed in such light, but given the way things are with 'player issues', it seems hypocritical.

Come on Ving Rhames and Lucy Lawless? Who wouldn't want to see that?

Link

'Football Wives' fails to make cut with NFL
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 3:47 AM
    By Matthew Barrows
    Sacramento Bee

A 240-pound pro football player punches a woman in the eye. Another has more guns and ammunition in his home than a Nicaraguan arms dealer. A third can't stay off the wacky weed long enough to produce a clean urine test.

Salacious scenes from the recently dropped television show Football Wives? Not exactly. The story lines are from another source that has been sullying the NFL's good name of late -- NFL.com.

First, the fictional show.

Last week, ABC decided not to pick up Football Wives for its fall lineup, despite plenty of advance buzz. It had star power, Lucy "Xena" Lawless and Ving Rhames. The Warrior Princess, Marsellus Wallace and a make-believe franchise called the Orlando Stingrays? My TiVo was overheating in anticipation.

Yet, some see a nefarious angle, which goes something like this: ABC is owned by Disney, which also owns ESPN. ESPN had a short-lived show called "Playmakers" that was kiboshed in 2004 when the NFL objected to its over-the-top content. The scuttlebutt is that Wives suffered the same fate.

But here's the catch: There is no way a group of script writers could come up with more outlandish tales than what the NFL is placing on its Web site. To wit:

• One of the homes of a quarterback is raided by police who find scores of suffering pit bulls and evidence of a massive dog-fighting operation.

• A cornerback who is nicknamed after an '80s video game (you can't make this stuff up, folks) appeals his suspension for, among other things, his role in a Las Vegas strip-club melee that left three people shot.

• A linebacker is arrested after allegedly punching a woman in the face. He plays for a team on which nine players had been arrested in a nine-month span.

• A running back has trouble with marijuana, so he goes to clear his head in a place called, ahem, Grass Valley, where he works as a yoga instructor.

These stories, or a follow-up to these stories, all appeared on NFL.com at about the same time ABC announced it wasn't picking up Football Wives.

It should have been required viewing for NFL rookies. At least, it would have been nice to watch Lucy Lawless again.

Lawless. Now why does that name seem so appropriate?

Site for the original UK show
    Last edited by Kapaibro; 05-24-2007, 05:40 AM.
    President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
    I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

When I started reading that article, I planned on posting about "Playmakers" which ran for a season, seemed to get pretty good reviews, but that the NFL openly criticized ESPN for running. At the time, ESPN and ABC had football, and the NFL pressured ESPN to cancel the show. Even the article mentioned it, here is some more info for some that weren't familiar with what happened with "Playmakers."

Earlier in the just-completed 2003 season, NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue admitted to calling Disney CEO Michael Eisner to express his displeasure with what he thought were the show's "one-dimensional" plots.

"Many considerations went into this decision, not the least of which was the reaction from a longtime and valued partner," said Mark Shapiro, ESPN's executive vice president of programming and production. "We are proud of the show on many levels -- it was a creative and critical success, and we are appreciative that viewers clearly embraced this new genre on our network."
    http://espn.go.com/gen/news/2004/0204/1727165.html

This is certainly not the first time this has happened.
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

Given the crazy plots they came up with in the UK one, I'm not sure it could compete with the real life NFL!
      President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
      I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

Comment

dam, they found out about my ammo.
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X