The Beatles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Beatles

I don't know why but I've just recently been intrigued with this band "behind the scenes style".

I don't like their music really at all, and I've heard it enough to know I never will like it, but that's beside the point of this thread.

I'm curious on their story, how they got together, the ups and downs they had as a group throughout their tenure, the impact it had throughout music as well as world society, the stories behind each member, why they broke up, what they did after, etc.etc.etc.

I've always turned an ear to any story, or interview on TV about them, so other than being this mega huge music group that probably had more impact on society than any other group ever, I don't know anything about them.

Can anyone please give me a name of a possible documentary with them I can watch, or a place to go on the web, or any kind of place to start? I would be appreciated.

And yes, I'm being serious.

I just finished reading an excellent profile on Paul McCartney in last week's New Yorker. It talks all about how they got together, their break-up, his relationship with John Lennon, etc. Excellent reading - if you get to a newsstand see if they still have it or you could look online.

Comment

Originally posted by Calif. Bronco
      I just finished reading an excellent profile on Paul McCartney in last week's New Yorker. It talks all about how they got together, their break-up, his relationship with John Lennon, etc. Excellent reading - if you get to a newsstand see if they still have it or you could look online.

I'll have to check that out.

I just finished reading the wikipedia references of Lennon's first group "The Quarrymen" and how that evoloved into the Beatles and then a quick rundown of the history of the Beatles there.

I would be curious to know what kind of relationship those 2 had, considering they were the first 2 members of the Beatles to play together and I would think they were arguably the driver in song writing within the group. I could see them having a brotherly love hate type relationship.

Comment

Theirs is an excellent story
        and I love the music....
        Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

Originally posted by KCLadyFan
          Theirs is an excellent story
          and I love the music....
          I agree on both of those statements.

Speaking words of wisdom... let it be!

I for one though, love, I wanna hold your hand.

It sparked my band to write our song "Wanna make out with you"
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic
            I don't know why but I've just recently been intrigued with this band "behind the scenes style".

I don't like their music really at all, and I've heard it enough to know I never will like it, but that's beside the point of this thread.

I'm curious on their story, how they got together, the ups and downs they had as a group throughout their tenure, the impact it had throughout music as well as world society, the stories behind each member, why they broke up, what they did after, etc.etc.etc.

I've always turned an ear to any story, or interview on TV about them, so other than being this mega huge music group that probably had more impact on society than any other group ever, I don't know anything about them.

Can anyone please give me a name of a possible documentary with them I can watch, or a place to go on the web, or any kind of place to start? I would be appreciated.

And yes, I'm being serious.
            Very interesting query, Silky…

When the Beatles first made their mark upon America, I just didn’t get it. Personally, I thought that “I Want to Hold Your Hand,” was the most over-hyped song of all time. (Still not among my favorite Beatles tunes.)

Well, to give you my input, you don’t need for me to tell you the “behind-the-scenes” stuff. Most of that has already been well documented. All I can give you is my take as to the secret to their success.

They were different. And from across the Great Pond, of course. Yes, the Beatles had “mop-top” hairdo’s, but were way different from the Beach Boys. Well, the Beatles had ONE “car song”: “Drive My Car.” <heh> They never did surf music. […you will never… hear…surf music again… Jimi Hendrix]

They imported tons of American pop material—from Buddy Holly, to Little Richard, to Buck Owens—and studied it! They were basically a “bar band” which specialized in “tight” rifts. Simple guitar licks, no Eric Clapton here. No single member of the group had anywhere near a “great” voice, but they improvised so well—especially in the harmonies.

They introduced to American teens at the time, this unusual Brit wit. “A Hard Day’s night,” featuring their wit, was even critically acclaimed at the time by Time Magazine.

Once dug in, they quickly evolved. From “I Want to Hold Your Hand,” they quickly had another on the Top Ten, “Things We Said Today” (one of my favorites, to this day). Quite introspective for a young pop group.

Far from being “One Hit Wonders,” this group made giant leaps with each subsequent album, since “Meet the Beatles.”

By the time they’d evolved into “Revolver,” they were on the brink of shaking up the industry with Sgt Pepper’s. Peer groups everywhere stopped in their tracks, played this wonderfully original album, over and over.

Anyhow, that was just my brief take on the life and times of the Beatles. I hope someone else will contribute more to this.
            Life, for me, has been an ongoing education. When Graduation Day arrives, my diploma will be my death certificate.

Comment

Revolver is my favorite album of theirs by far.

I'll talk to my Step-dad about that Silk. He's a Beatles junkie.

Comment

The best Beatles book is The Beatles by Bob Spitz. It's a long read, but has almost everything aabout them in there. I'd also reccomend Magical Mystery Tours by Tony Bramwell, and Anthology by the Beatles themselves. Theirs is a fascinating story and well worth the time to read. Hope this helps!

RIP D-Will and Nash

Comment

Originally posted by evendelae
                  The best Beatles book is The Beatles by Bob Spitz. It's a long read, but has almost everything aabout them in there. I'd also reccomend Magical Mystery Tours by Tony Bramwell, and Anthology by the Beatles themselves. Theirs is a fascinating story and well worth the time to read. Hope this helps!
                  Nice contribution, E! :thumb:
                  Life, for me, has been an ongoing education. When Graduation Day arrives, my diploma will be my death certificate.

Comment

Paperback Writer......

Get Back......2 of my faves.......
                    Last edited by KCLadyFan; 06-08-2007, 08:28 PM.
                    Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

Working...
                    X