Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Format war may be close to an end...HD-DVD FTW!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Format war may be close to an end...HD-DVD FTW!

Blu-Ray has lost a couple of studios and those studios have become exclusive to HD-dvd.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=893192

Oh yah its been confirmed to be true! No ifs about it...

press release on blu ray.com... They are canceling all announced blu ray titles. including titles like blades of glory,transformers,shrek the third that where announced on blu ray. All their titles will be HD DVD exclusive. Also warner has announced that they are gonna tilt more towards HD DVD also.

blu ray only has sony studios and disney now, Since fox doesnt release anything anymore...

11/6/11 - The day the Oakland Raiders got raptured!

HD only has two(or 3, if you count DreamWorks Animation, which is not all of DreamWorks) as exclusive backers though. IMO, HD was on the losing end until this announcement since they only had Universal. What this does is put HD back into the race and may drag the war out longer.

Comment

Well, I don't know if this really means the format war is close to an end or not. Sony and Disney are certainly big ones. If anything, this just seems to be delaying the end because HD-DVD was kind of on the ropes, from everything I heard.

I'm actually in favor of HD-DVD because their units are more affordable and they've been using more of their special features than has BR.

Either way, I've been avoiding buying a HD unit until the war has come to an end or, at least, until hybrid players are more reasonably priced. I'm not going to buy two units and I don't like having certain titles excluded from whichever player I choose. So, I'll still be waiting.
      "You can't take the sky from me..."
      ------
      "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

We may see Chinese HD-DVD players out sometime before Xmas for around $99.

Comment

blu-ray has still out sold hddvd by almost 2 to 1 i think

the war is far from over...
          the space that is mine

We miss 'ya brother dime. We know your up there jamming with Cliff and Chuck. Stay metal :salute: :rockon:

Comment

Or option #3-The mass public which could care less about HD continues to buy plain old DVD's for the next decade and BluRay and HD-DVD become a niche market for videophiles like me. The mini disk was better then the cd in many ways, but it could not dethorne CD's. Only the advent of MP3 players is doing that almost 10 years after the minidisks release. Anything could happen, but owning both formats I lean more towards HD-DVD.

Comment

Originally posted by tpryce93 View Post
              blu-ray has still out sold hddvd by almost 2 to 1 i think

the war is far from over...
              I googled blu-ray once (I had no clue what it was), I read that HD out sold B.R. 4 to 1

But I can care less I don't own a single DVD in any of those formats.
              sigpic

Comment

Blu-ray has definitely outsold HD by 2 or 3 to 1. This is likely due to more support that Blu-ray had, larger library = more sales. Until this announcement, Blu-ray looked to be the winner of the war. This will prolong the war, and if Microsoft can reach into those deep pockets and pull Warner Bros into HD from neutral ground, it will be a dead even race.

Comment

Originally posted by DBfan187 View Post
                  Blu-Ray has lost a couple of studios and those studios have become exclusive to HD-dvd.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=893192

Oh yah its been confirmed to be true! No ifs about it...

press release on blu ray.com... They are canceling all announced blu ray titles. including titles like blades of glory,transformers,shrek the third that where announced on blu ray. All their titles will be HD DVD exclusive. Also warner has announced that they are gonna tilt more towards HD DVD also.

blu ray only has sony studios and disney now, Since fox doesnt release anything anymore...

While I hav HD-DVD via my 360, I think it is far from over. My understanding is that HD-DVD paid (or gave incentives) worth around $150 million for them to go exclusively HD-DVD for something like 18 months. Even with that, Blu-Ray has more studios.

I just wish one of them would fold, because I would like to buy a stand alone player and start building a library, but don't want to do it until I know who is going to win.
                  The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-HD-A2-...8326545&sr=8-1

Free HD DVD Rebate offer:
                    Get 5 Free HD DVDs after Mail-in rebate when you buy a qualifying Toshiba HD-DVD player. See Details.

Special Offer: Buy a Toshiba HD DVD player between August 27 and September 23 and you'll qualify to receive up to eight HD DVDs. See offer details
                    Lets see Blu-Ray try that one. Mine was $210shipped!

Comment

Originally posted by badlandz View Post
                      Blu-ray has definitely outsold HD by 2 or 3 to 1. This is likely due to more support that Blu-ray had, larger library = more sales. Until this announcement, Blu-ray looked to be the winner of the war. This will prolong the war, and if Microsoft can reach into those deep pockets and pull Warner Bros into HD from neutral ground, it will be a dead even race.
                      Blu-Ray has only outsold HD-DVD because of PS3, take that out of the equation and HD-DVD is wwwwwaaaaaaayyyyyyy ahead of Blu-Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by DBfan187 View Post
                        Blu-Ray has only outsold HD-DVD because of PS3, take that out of the equation and HD-DVD is wwwwwaaaaaaayyyyyyy ahead of Blu-Ray.
                        Yep, PS3 has put a lot of drives out there. Ironically, the Blu Ray drive and higher cost of the PS3 as a result has hurt its sales, but helped the format.
                        The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?secti...e117144-lLink1

Click on the Acer Computer ad, and five big sales for Friday appear. The last of the five is Toshiba's HD-A2 HD DVD player for $98.87.

Also listed are some HD DVDs for $14.96 - 12 Monkeys, Big Lebowski, and Blood Diamond.

Sale begins Friday, Nov. 2, at 8 am.

Comment

I am too poor to afford this stuff right now.

But yet I bought a 1/300 scale ship of the Bismarck for 150 bucks
                            sigpic

Comment

I was almost tempted to actually go get one of those Toshiba players, but I just can't do it. Price, while it is a factor, is still not the biggest issue for me... it's the fact that there is no resolution in sight for the format war.

Comment

Working...
                              X