Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shawshank Redemption Special Edition DVD

This from www.dvdanswers.com

Warner has at last announced the special edition of The Shawshank Redemption which stars Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman. This hugely popular Frank Darabont directed film will be available in both two-disc special edition and deluxe limited edition sets from the 5th October this year. Retail for the standard special edition will be $26.99, whereas the limited edition will retail for $44.99. Both sets will feature new 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen transfers along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 Track. Extras will include an audio commentary by director Frank Darabont, a Shark Tank Redemption spoof, two in-depth documentaries, photo gallery, storyboards, a 2004 Charlie Rose Show Segment, the films theatrical trailer, and other DVD-ROM features that have yet to be confirmed. In addition to all this, the limited edition will include film historian Mark Kermode’s book about the movie’s production and huge popularity along with Thomas Newman's soundtrack.

It's about time they come out with this. I've been waiting for this one. It's probably my favorite movie of all time.

Re: Shawshank Redemption Special Edition DVD

Originally posted by The Dark Knight
    This from www.dvdanswers.com

It's about time they come out with this. I've been waiting for this one. It's probably my favorite movie of all time.
    For once, we agree on a movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
    You should check these guys out

Comment

Re: Shawshank Redemption Special Edition DVD

I just checked my current DVD and it's already animorphic widescreen and I seem to remember it being a really good picture...so why would it be worth an upgrade? While I really like Shawshank, it's not one of those films that makes me want to listen to the commentary. I usually start listening to commentaries and start to get irritated that I can't hear the actual dialog well enough and end up switching off the commentary.
      "You can't take the sky from me..."
      ------
      "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Re: Re: Shawshank Redemption Special Edition DVD

Originally posted by Javalon
        I just checked my current DVD and it's already animorphic widescreen and I seem to remember it being a really good picture...so why would it be worth an upgrade? While I really like Shawshank, it's not one of those films that makes me want to listen to the commentary. I usually start listening to commentaries and start to get irritated that I can't hear the actual dialog well enough and end up switching off the commentary.
        I have it on VHS but since it is one of my favorite (if not thee favorite) movies of all time, I wanted to wait till the came out with something other than a barebones version of the movie. I don't want to buy a DVD twice if I don't have to.

And since it's a new transfer, it's likely to be superior to the first DVD release. Whether any of us will be able to tell the difference remains to be seen. I have seen several updated transfers from other movies that were far superior to the original releases. My friend Erick made the mistake of buying alot of DVD's when they first came out so his collection is full of substandard transfers. At the time, alot of studios just wanted to put something out with little regard as to features or quality. I'm not saying that's the case with your edition of Shawshank but you should see my friend Ericks editon of The Terminator:0 . The scenes in the department store are barely visable and every scene is washed out like it was an old 70's movie on USA. At any rate, if your happy with your copy then what else can you ask for?
        Last edited by The Dark Knight; 06-27-2004, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Re: Re: Shawshank Redemption Special Edition DVD

Originally posted by Jared
          For once, we agree on a movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          When did we disagree?

Ohh are you the one who didn't like Pulp Fiction?

If so, your still crazy.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Shawshank Redemption Special Edition DVD

When did we disagree?

Ohh are you the one who didn't like Pulp Fiction?

If so, your still crazy.
            "MMMMMMM This is a tasty Burger!!!!"
            "Hey that's great, but who are the Chefs?" - Snickers commercial

Comment

"Say what one more time, I dare you"

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Shawshank Redemption Special Edition DVD

I have it on VHS but since it is one of my favorite (if not thee favorite) movies of all time, I wanted to wait till the came out with something other than a barebones version of the movie. I don't want to buy a DVD twice if I don't have to.

And since it's a new transfer, it's likely to be superior to the first DVD release. Whether any of us will be able to tell the difference remains to be seen. I have seen several updated transfers from other movies that were far superior to the original releases. My friend Erick made the mistake of buying alot of DVD's when they first came out so his collection is full of substandard transfers. At the time, alot of studios just wanted to put something out with little regard as to features or quality. I'm not saying that's the case with your edition of Shawshank but you should see my friend Ericks editon of The Terminator:0 . The scenes in the department store are barely visable and every scene is washed out like it was an old 70's movie on USA. At any rate, if your happy with your copy then what else can you ask for?
                I'm very picky about my DVDs and have replaced quite a few with new editions to get better transfers. However, I seem to remember the Shawshank I have to be of very good quality. In fact, here is a review of the first release:
                Quoted from DVDFile.com
                Video: How Does The Disc Look?

So, I bet you want to know how the transfer is, don't you? One of the positive aspects of the long wait for this disc is that Warner has gone back and made a new high-definition master of tbe film, which has resulted in this quite sparkling 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer. Though the previous laserdisc (and don't even ask about the VHS tape) was marred by grain and color bleeding, this new DVD is rock solid. The film has a very earthy feel to it, and the predominantly orange, brown and blue hues come over very well. There is minimal edge enhancement, blacks are spot on, and the print is free of nicks and scratches. There is just a tad bit of grain, but it seems to be a part of the film element and is not distracting. Warner seems to have taken great care during the author, as there are no compression artifacts apparent that often crop up on some of their other $19.95 releases. A really, really nice transfer.
                It might be a better deal to get the current release unless you want all the supplemental materials, which I would fully understand.
                Originally posted by NJBRONCOSFAN
                "Say what one more time, I dare you"
                " 'What' ain't no country I ever heard of!"
                "You can't take the sky from me..."
                ------
                "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Thought this was interesting...

From www.thedigitalbits.com

We've got a lot of interesting ground to cover today, so let's get started with the big news. Warner Bros. has announced the anniversary DVD re-release of The Shawshank Redemption for 10/5 in two separate versions. First up is the 2-disc The Shawshank Redemption: Special Edition (SRP $26.99), which will include the film in newly-remastered anamorphic widescreen video (1.85:1) with audio in Dolby Digital 5.1. Extras will include newly-recorded audio commentary by director Frank Darabont, 2 documentaries (running about 90 minutes in all), a recent Charlie Rose Show segment, storyboards, a photo gallery, the theatrical trailer, DVD-ROM extras and the Shark Tank Redemption spoof. Also available will be The Shawshank Redemption: Deluxe Limited Edition (SRP $44.99), which will include all of the Special Edition contents plus the film's CD soundtrack and a book about the film's production by historian Mark Kermode. You'll find the cover art for both editions a little lower in this column.

Special Editon cover art

Deluxe Limited Edition cover art

I want that Deluxe Limited Edition!!

Comment

"Does Marcellus Wiley look like a b!tch?

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

Originally posted by NJBRONCOSFAN
                      "Does Marcellus Wiley look like a b!tch?
                      OK, you can cease with the derailment of the thread now.

Comment

I'm sorry

Comment

Thought this was interesting...

From www.thedigitalbits.com

Special Editon cover art

wow. this is kinda freaky. i used to work at Castle Rock Entertainment and i was just over there on friday. i saw a big blow-up of that picture but i didn't know what it was for at the time. can't wait for that DELUXE.
                          "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                          X