NASCAR Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
    Wow what a finish. Good job Kyle, not a real fan of you but way to capitalize there!

Hope Denny's ok but honestly like Lagano said he had it coming, if he hadn't dumped Lagano for absolutely no reason last week Joey wouldn't have had a reason to be pissed this week and they both would have probably finished decent.

Not really sure what the heck Tony's problem was...what did he expect him to do? surrender and let him pass without trying to hold position? He was racing for the win on a restart....you don't just willingly give up positions with that little of a race left, I like Tony but he needs to just get over himself...
    Well let's see, how about not running him off the track for starters.

Go watch the replay of the restart & you will see by the time they get down to turn one Stewart has been pushed below the white line & yet the distance in between the side Logano & Kyle was like 30 or 40 feet so Logano had no reason to be pushing tony that far off track when he had all the room in the world to his right.

I'm glad tony is getting some fire back in him & not gonna just sit around & do nothing while these young punks show no respect to anybody. I said it before & i'll say it again, Smoke is one racer you don't want to get into it with because he will get you.

Blocking is one thing & i will even say acceptable if done properly by simply moving in front of the guy behind you but not the way he did it, he ran him off the track & that is where the problem is.

Next race is Martinsville & there is no place to hide so be prepared Logano because it's coming!
    Last edited by BroncosFanInPA; 03-24-2013, 08:04 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncosFanInPA View Post
      Well let's see, how about not running him off the track for starters.

Go watch the replay of the restart & you will see by the time they get down to turn one Stewart has been pushed below the white line & yet the distance in between the side Logano & Kyle was like 30 or 40 feet so Logano had no reason to be pushing tony that far off track when he had all the room in the world to his right.

I'm glad tony is getting some fire back in him & not gonna just sit around & do nothing while these young punks show no respect to anybody. I said it before & i'll say it again, Smoke is one racer you don't want to get into it with because he will get you.

Blocking is one thing & i will even say acceptable if done properly by simply moving in front of the guy behind you but not the way he did it, he ran him off the track & that is where the problem is.

Next race is Martinsville & there is no place to hide so be prepared Logano because it's coming!
      You don't think Tony would have done the exact same thing (and has before) Tony can dish it out but boy he hates it when some does it back.

Don't get me wrong, I love tony he's one of my favorite drivers but he just needs to get over it. Joey didn't do anything wrong blocking him like that he did what he had to do to keep tony behind him.
      sigpic

Comment

You don't think Tony would have done the exact same thing (and has before) Tony can dish it out but boy he hates it when some does it back.

Don't get me wrong, I love tony he's one of my favorite drivers but he just needs to get over it. Joey didn't do anything wrong blocking him like that he did what he had to do to keep tony behind him.
        Well i beg to differ on the bold part, as i mentioned in my previous post, i have no problem with blocking someone when done the right way & by that i mean moving left or right to keep them behind you but what he did was run tony down off the racing surface onto the apron.

Tony had a run & was starting to get to the inside of his rear quarter panel & Logano kept moving down forcing him off track, i feel that is improper blocking because tony even said if he hadn't lifted he would have turned him & maybe he should have.

And yes your right, tony has blocked before but not in the manner logano did it in by forcing someone off track, there is a a right way & wrong way to block & when somebody is starting to come inside you then it's no longer blocking in my eyes.

Would it have been ok if smoke doesn't lift off the gas & crashes half the field because he was cut off?
        sigpic

Comment

• I have to admit, I am not big on NASCAR and other car races.......I don't dislike this stuff, but I have never really gotten into that groove, and besides, I watch too many sports as is. But I have watched some of it recently, just to get an idea of the amazing driving skills and such. Now I have a question:

When they have a restart, it appears they line up as if the race was starting from scratch, which apparently wipes out the gaps between cars up to that point. For example, Jeff Gordon may be 1 lap behind, but with the restart, he's back in the race and only seconds behind. If this is the case, I don't think it's fair. Can someone explain? (Thanks!)

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
            I have to admit, I am not big on NASCAR and other car races.......I don't dislike this stuff, but I have never really gotten into that groove, and besides, I watch too many sports as is. But I have watched some of it recently, just to get an idea of the amazing driving skills and such. Now I have a question:

When they have a restart, it appears they line up as if the race was starting from scratch, which apparently wipes out the gaps between cars up to that point. For example, Jeff Gordon may be 1 lap behind, but with the restart, he's back in the race and only seconds behind. If this is the case, I don't think it's fair. Can someone explain? (Thanks!)
            I'm not great at explaining things, especially when you can't see my hand gestures, but I'll try.

On the track, Gordon is physically seconds from the first place car, but with the way they score the race, it would show that he's a lap down.

Say there are 10 cars on the lead lap. Gordon is eleventh, one lap down. Even if Gordon passes the tenth place car, he would still be 11th, one lap down.

There are ways to get back on the lead lap. One is the Lucky Dog, where a caution comes out and they let the first car a lap down, go around the track during the caution to get his lap back. If that happened to Gordon in 11th place (a lap down), it would put him in 11th place on the lead lap (I'm not throwing pit stops and all that in there).

The other way to get a lap back is to race for it. Say Gordon is a lap down in 11th place. They fixed his car and now he has a rocket. He passes all the lead lap cars, including the 1st place car, he is now back on the lead lap and is hoping for a caution so that he can be behind the 1st place car instead of in front of it. Unless his rocket car allows him to go fast enough to go all the way around the track and catch up to the lead lap cars.

I probably confused you more than you already were.

Maybe someone can explain it better.

I hope Denny heals quickly and completely.
            Administrator
            sigpic

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer - Adopted Bronco: Phillip Lindsay

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncosFanInPA View Post
              Well i beg to differ on the bold part, as i mentioned in my previous post, i have no problem with blocking someone when done the right way & by that i mean moving left or right to keep them behind you but what he did was run tony down off the racing surface onto the apron.

Tony had a run & was starting to get to the inside of his rear quarter panel & Logano kept moving down forcing him off track, i feel that is improper blocking because tony even said if he hadn't lifted he would have turned him & maybe he should have.

And yes your right, tony has blocked before but not in the manner logano did it in by forcing someone off track, there is a a right way & wrong way to block & when somebody is starting to come inside you then it's no longer blocking in my eyes.

Would it have been ok if smoke doesn't lift off the gas & crashes half the field because he was cut off?
              Look Tony is the one that went down there...He blocked Tony went lower Joey blocked again. I find nothing wrong with that....He didn't run tony into the grass...He was completely and totally in front of Tony and Tony had the choice to back off or keep going even lower to get underneath him. Tony is the only one that made that choice Joey couldn't force him...Now if Tony would have had his nose actually inside Joey's car (He didn't I've watched the reply plenty of times) then yes Joey going down would have been forcing Tony down but Tony made that choice...

He's loves to run his mouth when someone else does something like this to him but he's not too hard on himself when he drives like this.

Tony does the exact same thing to others and it's no big deal but he just hates it when someone does it to him...

He needs to get over it and quit calling people "spoiled rich kids" just because they one uped him.
              sigpic

Comment

• This pretty much sums it up for me

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nascar...8--nascar.html

I don't hate Tony at all don't get me wrong there I've been a fan of his for awhile and still am BUT he's the biggest hypocrite in nascar and he LOVES to complain about blocking and how it shouldn't be legal but yet he does it just as much as anyone else...
                sigpic

Comment

Look Tony is the one that went down there...He blocked Tony went lower Joey blocked again. I find nothing wrong with that....He didn't run tony into the grass...He was completely and totally in front of Tony and Tony had the choice to back off or keep going even lower to get underneath him. Tony is the only one that made that choice Joey couldn't force him...Now if Tony would have had his nose actually inside Joey's car (He didn't I've watched the reply plenty of times) then yes Joey going down would have been forcing Tony down but Tony made that choice...

He's loves to run his mouth when someone else does something like this to him but he's not too hard on himself when he drives like this.

Tony does the exact same thing to others and it's no big deal but he just hates it when someone does it to him...

He needs to get over it and quit calling people "spoiled rich kids" just because they one uped him.
                  Well whatever, it's obvious you have your views of how it went down & i have my view as to how it went down so i'll just leave it at that. Besides Tony obviously had something else going on that he fell from 3rd to 22nd, i think he said maybe a tire going down & i think that coupled with the restart issue really sent him over the edge.

It's been a very rough start to the year & i think it's starting to bother him & i have another theory also that i think deep down inside he may be realizing he made a mistake letting Darrian Grubb go after the title run. It's very clear he has not been running as strong since the change & yet Hamlin is up front contending for wins about every race.

I know he will never come out & admit it but my personal opinion is it was a big mistake, i thought so at the time he announced it & i feel even stronger about it now but what's done is done.

And one last thing about the one up comment you made, just wait until Martinsville & see who is laughing last & who gets turned around or sent into the wall, i may be wrong & he may just give him a tap but i have a feeling something will go down.
                  sigpic

Comment

• I've noticed with tony a direct correlation of his attitude to his weight, the more weight he puts on the more iratible he gets....And he's started packing the pounds on this season

I won't be suprised if he dumps Lagano but I think it will be undeserved and if he does and he doesn't break lagano's car bad enough that he can't move it he'd better watch out because joey will pay him back
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                      I'm not great at explaining things, especially when you can't see my hand gestures, but I'll try.

On the track, Gordon is physically seconds from the first place car, but with the way they score the race, it would show that he's a lap down.

Say there are 10 cars on the lead lap. Gordon is eleventh, one lap down. Even if Gordon passes the tenth place car, he would still be 11th, one lap down.

There are ways to get back on the lead lap. One is the Lucky Dog, where a caution comes out and they let the first car a lap down, go around the track during the caution to get his lap back. If that happened to Gordon in 11th place (a lap down), it would put him in 11th place on the lead lap (I'm not throwing pit stops and all that in there).

The other way to get a lap back is to race for it. Say Gordon is a lap down in 11th place. They fixed his car and now he has a rocket. He passes all the lead lap cars, including the 1st place car, he is now back on the lead lap and is hoping for a caution so that he can be behind the 1st place car instead of in front of it. Unless his rocket car allows him to go fast enough to go all the way around the track and catch up to the lead lap cars.

I probably confused you more than you already were.

Maybe someone can explain it better.

I hope Denny heals quickly and completely.
                      Thanks J!

If I may, I want to change the example a bit, because I am not sure if I helped by talking about being one lap down. Lets just say that Gordon was in 10th place, and 25 seconds behind (same lap). If they call a "restart", does he automatically start in the 5th group (I assume two aside), which in essence means he's only a few seconds behind? If so, does that seem unfair to the leader(s), who might be running away with the race at that point?

My gut tells me that it's too hard to restart everyone based on how many seconds behind they are.

Does that make more sense, or have I missed everything you already said???

Comment

Thanks J!

If I may, I want to change the example a bit, because I am not sure if I helped by talking about being one lap down. Lets just say that Gordon was in 10th place, and 25 seconds behind (same lap). If they call a "restart", does he automatically start in the 5th group (I assume two aside), which in essence means he's only a few seconds behind? If so, does that seem unfair to the leader(s), who might be running away with the race at that point?

My gut tells me that it's too hard to restart everyone based on how many seconds behind they are.

Does that make more sense, or have I missed everything you already said???
                        When the caution flies if Gordon is 25 seconds behind the leader and about to get lapped (but not actually a full lap down) then when they line up they would line all of the cars up nose to tail in 2 rows by position. The time he was behind would be erased as he would be lining up on the track in whatever position he was in when ever the yellow flag waived.

Cautions essentially just reset everything which is why it can be very beneficial for someone on the verge of going a lap down. They can pit to adjust their car and start in the back and gain positions and time on the restart.

Normally if a car is good enough to run away with the race he'll still do that but it gives the rest of the field a chance to adjust their car's setup and possibly even things up making it a closer race.

But in answer to your question, yes he would go from being 25 seconds behind to just a few seconds behind giving him a better chance to get back to the front than he had before.

Nascar also gives 1 car a lap down what is called "the lucky dog" which puts them back on the lead lap and they start as the last car on the lead lap.
                        Last edited by Freyaka; 03-27-2013, 01:24 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

When the caution flies if Gordon is 25 seconds behind the leader and about to get lapped (but not actually a full lap down) then when they line up they would line all of the cars up nose to tail in 2 rows by position. The time he was behind would be erased as he would be lining up on the track in whatever position he was in when ever the yellow flag waived.

Cautions essentially just reset everything which is why it can be very beneficial for someone on the verge of going a lap down. They can pit to adjust their car and start in the back and gain positions and time on the restart.

Normally if a car is good enough to run away with the race he'll still do that but it gives the rest of the field a chance to adjust their car's setup and possibly even things up making it a closer race.

But in answer to your question, yes he would go from being 25 seconds behind to just a few seconds behind giving him a better chance to get back to the front than he had before.

Nascar also gives 1 car a lap down what is called "the lucky dog" which puts them back on the lead lap and they start as the last car on the lead lap.
                          Okay, now that I asked the question properly, I better understand the details. So yes, it is a disadvantage to the leader(s). But as you say, if they are up by a lot, they will probably gain that lead again.

Do folks see this as unfair, or has it just been generally accepted?

Comment

Still mad that Nascar screwed him out of that win, if he doesn't go below the line Tony has wrecked the whole field (again). Tony has all the talent in the world but the worst attitude and he just cries too much when things don't go his way. At times he makes Kyle Busch look more mature.
                            sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

Okay, now that I asked the question properly, I better understand the details. So yes, it is a disadvantage to the leader(s). But as you say, if they are up by a lot, they will probably gain that lead again.

I'm not sure if I'd call it unfair. It's part of racing. Not sure what else they could do. Stagger the restart? I don't think that would work.

The time that it really hurts the lead driver is when a caution happens very late in the race. I'm talking 10 or less laps. The big lead the 1st place driver has disappears and on a restart, since anything can happen, there's more of a chance for the leader to lose the race. The late race cautions that bother me are the ones for debris. The debris that no one can see. One year, my friends from NY wore t-shirts that said "Show me the debris!". The ladies were so proud of them.
                              Administrator
                              sigpic

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer - Adopted Bronco: Phillip Lindsay

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Peanut & Freyaka explained things very well & as far as being unfair, it's the way it's always been done because as Peanut said there is basicly no other way of doing things when it comes to cautions, there is no way you could put the cars back in the actual time they were behind on the track, it would be a total mess.

Also it does help create more excitement as opposed to somebody out front cruising with a 10 second lead over 2nd place & everyone else even further back, nobody wants to watch someone run away with a race but it can happen if the race goes without a caution for a long period which is why as peanut mentioned, sometimes Nascar will throw a caution for debris even if nothing is on the track just to bunch the field back up so it doesn't get very boring.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X