NASCAR Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BroncosFanInPA View Post
    It makes sense because by having Vickers drop behind Logano it moved Logano to 10th & dropped Gordon to 11th thus allowing Truex to claim the 2nd wild card slot because Gordon had no wins.

Truex & Newman finished in a tie because both Vickers & Bowyer drop behind Logano or else Gordon still would have been 10th in points & the last wild card spot would have been Logano.

This is just an awful thing that Michael Waltrip has done & Nascar needs to drop the hammer on them severely.

Newman & Gordon got screwed big time!
    Waltrip and scandels are nothing new. Every remembers when he put "rocket fuel" in his cars before the Daytona a few years back.
    Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
    sigpic

Comment

• Truex out, Newman in as Nascar does the right thing for once. :clap:

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup...se-ryan-newman
      CONCORD, N.C. -- Ryan Newman replaced Martin Truex Jr. in the Chase for the Sprint Cup championship on Monday night when NASCAR penalized Michael Waltrip Racing for manipulating the outcome of last weekend's race at Richmond.

Michael Waltrip Racing was fined $300,000, and general manager Ty Norris received an indefinite suspension. Truex, Clint Bowyer and Brian Vickers were docked 50 points apiece -- but Bowyer's deduction does not affect his position in the Chase, which begins Sunday at Chicago.

"We penalize to not have this happen again," NASCAR president Mike Helton said. "It's a message from the league saying, 'You can't do this.'"

I am proud that NASCAR took a stand with respect to what went on Saturday night at Richmond. I know it was a tough decision to make. With that being said, myself, Matt Borland (crew chief) and this entire No. 39 team are looking forward to competing for the 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship.

-- Ryan Newman

Newman was leading with seven laps remaining Saturday night at Richmond, where a victory would have given him the final spot in the 12-driver Chase field. But Bowyer spun to bring out a caution, setting in motion a chain of events that ultimately led to Newman losing the race and Bowyer teammate Truex earning the final Chase berth.

"I am proud that NASCAR took a stand with respect to what went on Saturday night at Richmond," Newman said in a statement. "I know it was a tough decision to make. With that being said, myself, [crew chief] Matt Borland and this entire No. 39 team are looking forward to competing for the 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship."

While examining the situation, NASCAR reviewed communication between Bowyer and his Michael Waltrip Racing crew that seemed to indicate the spin was deliberate, as well as additional evidence that suggested MWR had Bowyer and Vickers take a dive over the final three laps so Joey Logano would knock Jeff Gordon out of Chase contention in yet another attempt to help Truex.

NASCAR did not adjust the standings to put Gordon into the Chase -- he was in before Bowyer's spin -- because Helton said it was impossible to address all the scenarios.

"We know from experience, if you try to look at ripple effect, you can't cover all bases that's equitable and credible across board," said Helton, who also said NASCAR was unable to prove Bowyer spun intentionally. "There's a lot of chatter, but we didn't see any conclusive evidence."
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncosFanInPA View Post
        Truex out, Newman in as Nascar does the right thing for once. :clap:

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup...se-ryan-newman
        NASCAR should also strip Waltrip of all his owner points. I almost wish NASCAR could find away to take away sponsors from egregious multipul offenders.
        Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Southstander View Post
          NASCAR should also strip Waltrip of all his owner points. I almost wish NASCAR could find away to take away sponsors from egregious multipul offenders.

And suspend Bowyer's crew chief for the rest of the year.
          sigpic

Comment

• From PA's post:

NASCAR did not adjust the standings to put Gordon into the Chase -- he was in before Bowyer's spin -- because Helton said it was impossible to address all the scenarios.

"We know from experience, if you try to look at ripple effect, you can't cover all bases that's equitable and credible across board," said Helton, who also said NASCAR was unable to prove Bowyer spun intentionally. "There's a lot of chatter, but we didn't see any conclusive evidence."
            I feel bad for Gordon.

Somewhere (FOX blogs?) they suggested putting in the top 13-14 into the Chase. That would let Gordon in.

IMO, NASCAR brought this on when they created the Chase. And then adding the win factor. The old way rewarded consistency. The new way encourages cheating.
            Administrator

#Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

#LupusAwarenessMonth

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• Some positive news. I'm still not crazy about Kurt, but he has done a lot for this team.

Congrats to FRR!

History*-Making Feat Puts Busch, Furniture Row Racing in Chase Playoffs: With the season on the line to qualify for the Chase playoffs, #78-Kurt Busch and the Denver-based Furniture Row Racing saved the best for last, and in the process made history. Thanks to an impressive season-best runner-up finish in the final pre-Chase race Saturday night at Richmond International Raceway, Busch secured a post-season playoff berth. The feat will go into the record books as the first driver from a single-car team to qualify for the Chase since the 10-race, 12-driver championship format began in 2004. Its an amazing feeling to go up against these big teams and to put a little lone Chevrolet from Colorado into the Chase against the big boys," said Busch, who is now a seven-time Chase participant.
              Team owner Barney Visser was equally elated during a post-race news conference. I dont know if its a dream come true as much as Im kind of in awe of Kurt and Joe (Garone, general manager) and the whole team and what these guys have been able to do," said Visser. They put in a lot of hard work and a lot of hours and its incredible what they were able to do."
              This feels incredible," said Busch, the 2004 NASCAR champion. The way that we worked together as a team  its amazing that we have come this far and put ourselves in this position. We came close tonight, but havent won a race yet this year. I was happy to guide the ship, but I had a great skipper, the way that Todd Berrier (crew chief) led this group into the off season last year and the way Todd followed Barney Vissers dream. We are in the Chase and we have a shot at the championship so we are not done yet. It feels great to deliver and to achieve something very special tonight."(Furniture Row Racing)(9-9-2013)
              Administrator

#LupusAwarenessMonth

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                I feel bad for Gordon.

Somewhere (FOX blogs?) they suggested putting in the top 13-14 into the Chase. That would let Gordon in.

IMO, NASCAR brought this on when they created the Chase. And then adding the win factor. The old way rewarded consistency. The new way encourages cheating.
                Yeah Gordon is definately the loser in all of this & i said earlier Nascar did the right thing for once but after thinking about it for a bit i would say they only got it half right & there was two options IMO that would have worked & one of them could have made the whole situation right...

Option 1 - they penalized Bowyer, Truex & Vickers all 50 points but in reality Bowyer ends up not getting anything because it was before the resetting of the points, so they should have made it after the chase seeding that he lost 50 points & started in a big hole or the 2nd option which i like better...

Option 2 - I'm not positive because i had to look at owner's points but i believe Bowyer finished 71 points ahead of Gordon after Richmond so if the points are deducted before the chase seeding then why not penalize those 3 teams 75 points & thus Bowyer drops 4 points behind Gordon which would have moved the #24 into 10th & in the chase & Bowyer drops to 11th & with no wins, is out of the chase.

Now to me that would be justice because after all Bowyer is the one who started the whole mess & at the end of the day what penalty did he really get? NOTHING!!

Don't be surprised if he doesn't get put in the wall somewhere along the way in the chase, especialy if he is contending.
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                  From PA's post:

I feel bad for Gordon.

If it were me? Suspend Bowyer the rest of the year and give Gordon his chase spot.
                  sigpic

Comment

• https://www.change.org/petitions/nas...dd-jeff-gordon
                    sigpic

Comment

I signed the petition.

May God Bless all men and women of our Armed Forces, past and present
                      The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing
                      http://www.navyjack.info/history.html
                      My Adopted Bronco is #95 Derek Wolfe

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Snake Fan View Post

I signed the petition.
                        I doubt it will make a bit of difference but a lot of people have already signed. If it keeps growing it'll be hard for nascar to ignore.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                          I doubt it will make a bit of difference but a lot of people have already signed. If it keeps growing it'll be hard for nascar to ignore.
                          It'll make Gordon feel good. Small consolation, but to know that the fans care should help a little.
                          Administrator

#LupusAwarenessMonth

Comment

It keeps getting more convoluted !

NASCAR is investigating the 22 and 38 teams now.
                            Logano may be out and Gordon could be in without disqualifying Bowyer.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/shak...e-chase-091113

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/stor...-091113#!i3dQd

This whole escapade reminds me of that Ricky Bobby movie.
                            It would be funny if it wasn't so appalling and scandalous.

I can't wait to hear the word around the garage on fast friday.

May God Bless all men and women of our Armed Forces, past and present
                            The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing
                            http://www.navyjack.info/history.html
                            My Adopted Bronco is #95 Derek Wolfe

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Snake Fan View Post

It keeps getting more convoluted !

NASCAR is investigating the 22 and 38 teams now.
                              Logano may be out and Gordon could be in without disqualifying Bowyer.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/shak...e-chase-091113

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/stor...-091113#!i3dQd

This whole escapade reminds me of that Ricky Bobby movie.
                              It would be funny if it wasn't so appalling and scandalous.

I can't wait to hear the word around the garage on fast friday.

I got to thinking & it now makes me wonder if the Hendrick cars played the game also, seeing as how other than Gordon none of them ran well, perhaps they were "sandbagging" it in order to give the #24 all the points possible.

Maybe Mr. H is just smarter than the rest of them & played the game so sly that nobody ever figured it.

I'll say this though, i know Tony would never do anything to alter things because he knew Newman needed all the points possible but at the end of that race the #14 took 2 tires & was going for a win & got out in front of Newman instead of laying back.
                              sigpic

Comment

• I don't doubt that manipulating the system has always gone on. It's just never been so blatant. Everyone ignored it before, but it's hard to ignore this one.

The leader pulls over so a teammate can lead a lap to get points. Happens all the time and is considered smart teamwork.

Pitting/slowing down so a teammate can pick up extra points. Spinning out or throwing something (water bottle) onto the track to cause a caution. Entering cars that haven't run all year. NASCAR's "debris on the track" for a caution, but they can't find it. What's the difference?

I'm not saying I condone it. I don't. What I'm saying, again, is that it happens all the time. It's about time it got exposed. Maybe they'll go back to the old points system. Maybe they'll go back to racing.

Unfortunately, the people involved from last week are going to pay for something that everyone's been doing. Be made an example of.

PA, I've been thinking about Johnson. He had such a big lead in points. I thought it odd for a team to do so good and then go to the other extreme and do so bad. It almost (should have) got Gordon in the Chase. I told hubby, wait until next week. Johnson's going back to his hot streak. They "found" something.
                                Administrator

#LupusAwarenessMonth

Comment

Working...
                                X