No announcement yet.

NASCAR Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember Harvick's bean bag issue? I kind of find that funny. Broadcast it over your radio. The TV crew won't pick up the story.

Harvick's team penalized: The #4 team that competes in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series has been penalized due to a rules infraction committed during the Aug. 10 race at Watkins Glen International. The infraction is a P3 level penalty and is outlined in Section 12-4.3 of the 2014 rule book:
    " A. Violation examples could include but are not limited to:
    o 1(c): Unapproved added weight and/or weight affixed improperly (e.g. Unapproved added weight (size and material); unapproved added weight location, but not of a nature rising to a higher numbered penalty.
    The infraction violates the following sections in the rule book:
    " 12-1: Actions detrimental to stock car racing;
    " 20-2.3: Added car weight
    o A. Any weight added to the car must be bolted inside the body shell in an approved weight container and in a position acceptable to NASCAR officials
    o Added weight must be in block form of not less than five pound blocks (no pellets) and painted white with the car number or team identification permanently legible on it.
    As a result of this violation, crew chief Rodney Childers has been fined $25,000.
    Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• If it wasn't a NASCAR driver, I don't think this would still be making the news.

I feel for Tony / family and I feel for Kevin and his family. The coming weeks are going to be hard for all involved.

Other driver says Stewart could not avoid Ward: "From what I saw, Tony did everything in his power to turn down away from Kevin to avoid him," said sprint car driver Cory Sparks. Sparks was just a few cars behind Stewart during Saturday's race. He said videos that have been posted online do not give an accurate picture of what happened. "People say that they heard the engine rev up and he gassed it. In a sprint car, the only way to steer is you steer with the rear wheels as much as you do the steering wheel. In my opinion, what he did was he gassed it to turn down away from him," said Sparks.(Time Warner News)
      I've read and heard a lot of comments about this situation. I read through a long thread on another board. I'd like to thank you all for being so level-headed. We're all passionate, but we respect each other. You're the best!
      Administrator

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• Originally posted by Peanut View Post
        If it wasn't a NASCAR driver, I don't think this would still be making the news.

I feel for Tony / family and I feel for Kevin and his family. The coming weeks are going to be hard for all involved.

I've read and heard a lot of comments about this situation. I read through a long thread on another board. I'd like to thank you all for being so level-headed. We're all passionate, but we respect each other. You're the best!
        I have to agree with you, it's because there is a high profile star involved.

And yes i have been reading alot of comments all week from different sites & there is alot of blame & alot of hatred out there & to be quite honest with you i had my doubts about the whole situation.

Being a big tony fan i didn't want to just come out & say he did nothing wrong & sound all biased but i really wasn't sure what to think...i wanted to believe it was just a terrible accident but you keep reading all these hate comments of he is a killer & should be locked up & it's difficult to make sense of it all.

But after listening to those comments made by Cory Sparks who was in the race & saw this happen & knows how those sprint cars work i'm starting to truly believe it was nothing more than an accident.

Also just watched a piece on race hub where they talked with erin everham & she explained what it's like in those cars & they showed all around it & just how difficult it is to see out of them & especially the right side of the car with that wing hanging down.

I really don't think tony had any intentions of anything other than trying to avoid hitting kevin but he was just too close & tony saw him too late.

Tony is really hurting over this & must be heartbroken because he has now decided not to race again at Michigan ...Jeff Burton will be in the #14 car.

I said it the other day but i really would not doubt if tony is done racing & will never get in a race car again & who could blame him if that's what he decides, he has to live with this for the rest of his life & is probably blaming himself.
        Last edited by BroncosFanInPA; 08-14-2014, 04:33 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Lots of hate talk.
          Can't believe what the media is insinuating.

I watched that video a few times.
          The guy ran out into the middle of the track at the curve..
          A car was right in front of Tony. Tony couldn't have seen him.
          That car swerved, and then Tony saw him, tried to swerve but it was too late.

I'm sorry for all those involved in this tragedy but the media is out of control.

May God Bless all men and women of our Armed Forces, past and present
          The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing
          http://www.navyjack.info/history.html
          My Adopted Bronco is #95 Derek Wolfe

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Snake Fan View Post

Lots of hate talk.

I'm sorry for all those involved in this tragedy but the media is out of control.
            I agree. I love how the non-racing fans are jumping into this, too.

It's such a sad situation.

PA, I hope you're wrong about Tony not racing anymore.
            Administrator

Lupus Awareness

Comment

• When the news was breaking that night from people on twitter who were at the race, they made it sound like Tony was driving recklessly and was trying to do something stupid to scare Ward. Then when video surfaced, it looked to me like Tony just plain didn't see him. The driver ahead of him almost hit him too. This is just one big sad accident. Everyone is right that this wouldn't even be news if it wasn't a high profile driver. But I think it goes further than even that. Because Tony has had his anger issues, people just assume that he did it on purpose. If someone like Ken Schrader had hit Kevin Ward, no one would question whether it was an accident or not. In the end, Tony is not a killer, the whole situation was messed up and no one feels more badly about it that Tony does. It was an accident, nothing more. Kevin was mad and did what we have seen drivers do several times in years past. Only difference is, this was at night, at some local dirt track, not a brightly lit cup track, and it was dirt. He was wearing an all black driver suit as well. Add all these factors up and you have someone who can barely be seen. I'm sure there aren't spotters in these races, so Tony is probably looking at his gauges, or just trying to figure out why they are under caution, he might not even know he ran him into the wall. I think he saw Kevin at the last second and gunned the engine in an effort to turn the car to miss him, as other have stated, with a sprint car you use the throttle to turn these cars more than anything. I really hope Tony doesn't retire or anything because of something like this. Hopefully Sterling Marlin or someone has reached out to him. After the 2001 Daytona 500 Sterling received death threats from fans who thought he hit Dale on purpose, so although they are different situations, its happened before. The best therapy in the long run may be Tony getting back into the car and doing what he loves. Maybe leave the sprint cars alone till next year when all this has blown over a bit. If anything good comes out of this, it will be that I'm sure there will be new rule changes to protect the drivers from this happening again. And yes Peanut, its been great to be able to discuss this sad situation in a civil manner. I've seen so many sad and terrible comments from people about this whole thing (some don't even know what a sprint car is) that this is a breath of fresh air. Sorry for the long paragraph but after a few days of thinking and collecting my thoughts, I thought I would give my take. There is a side of Tony that the public doesn't get to see but I've read about it. Mark Martin has nothing but great things to say about Tony, and they have a mutual respect for each other. Hope to see you back on track soon Tony, and you are in our thoughts.
              sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

• I think that if you weed out the "haters" and those who are die hard Stewart fans, you get a group of people who are really unable to make a determination of what happened. But a life is lost, and the way of the world is to investigate such tragic situations, as it should.

I've read/heard both sides of this thing. Until we know exactly what happened, none of us know anything, other than what we saw (very briefly), heard, or if we have had similar (to some extent) experiences in our own lives, possibly in sports or when driving. Until this is all settled, only one person knows for sure what was going through his mind prior to and at the time of the accident. I would not assume anything until this file is closed.

Comment

• Originally posted by roushmartin6 View Post
                  Because Tony has had his anger issues, people just assume that he did it on purpose.
                  Sunday morning when I woke up I looked at my iPhone and saw the sad news, I went and flipped on the TV. The first channel I come across, CNN, that was talking about the incident was showing the amateur video. After the video ended, it went back to a shot of the news anchors sitting around their news table. The first words that I heard come out of the news ladies mouth was "As we know, Stewart can be quite the hot head..."

I shook my head in disbelief that a major news network would come out just a mere 6 hrs or so after this happened and refer to Stewart so plainly as a "hot head". Yes, Tony in the past has had situations where he has publicly displayed his anger in not the best ways, but when you take the amateur video and add it with what the news lady said, it comes across that Stewart acted maliciously and meant to hit Ward.

It was a horrible horrible incident and a lot of the media is reporting in a way that they are wanting people to be outraged at Stewart and believe he did it purposely without knowing all the facts or even waiting for an investigation to be finished
                  Denver Broncos
                  New York Yankees
                  New York Knicks
                  Colorado Avalanche

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                    I agree. I love how the non-racing fans are jumping into this, too.

It's such a sad situation.

PA, I hope you're wrong about Tony not racing anymore.
                    Yeah i think it's ridiculous how non racing fans are all over this & they are the ones spewing all the hate when they know nothing about racing & mainly how sprint cars work.

I too hope i'm wrong Peanut but i just can't imagine him ever being able to have the focus it takes to get in a car & this will haunt him for the rest of his days.

Even if he should come back...he will never be the same because i believe he would be driving so timidly that it would be very bad & hard to watch...hope i'm wrong on all this but i just got a feeling that's the way it's gonna play out.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Snake Fan View Post

Lots of hate talk.

Always is, no matter what the topic is they always sensationalize everything (all media outlets are guilty of this) it's all about the almighty ratings and drawing in viewers. Gotta make a story have drama!
                      sigpic

Comment

• AZ...Peanut...Roush...Frey & others...

i just wanted to say that seeing all of your comments & feelings on this horrific situation has been somewhat comforting to me because i'm the tony fan here & it's been a rough week, but in the end we are all race fans & it's just a very sad situation.

To all of you guys & gals let's hope better days are ahead.
                        sigpic

Comment

• roush, I remember that thing with Marlin. I know he went through a really hard time.

And, we have a new rule. I know 3 dirt tracks in NY have it in place now. I think that's where it's really needed.
                          Administrator

Lupus Awareness

Comment

• Instant judgement - the sickness of society.

Comment

• People are being more vocal about showing support for Tony.

"Gibbs says Stewart has strength, courage to return: Joe Gibbs believes #14-Tony Stewart has the strength to return to racing at some point following the Aug. 9 incident which left sprint car driver Kevin Ward Jr. dead. Gibbs, who employed Stewart at Joe Gibbs Racing from 1999-2008, said he has not spoken to Stewart since the incident but thinks the driver will be able to come back and race again. Stewart has missed the past two NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races and also has canceled his non-NASCAR racing appearances until further notice. He has not said whether he will drive this weekend at Bristol Motor Speedway. "From what I saw with Tony, he's got great courage, he's smart, he loves this sport," Gibbs said Tuesday. "He's totally focused on it." Gibbs said he was told by Stewart's representatives the driver is taking some time for himself right now, so he has been hesitant to reach out. But the driver has been in his prayers, Gibbs said. "We all love Tony, we love what he did for us here," he said. "We know he's a racer's racer and he's big for our sport. I would love to have a chance to speak with him at some point and encourage him."(USA Today)(8-20-2014)"
                              Administrator

Lupus Awareness

Comment

• More. Good for Tony, but I'm concerned what all this is going to do to the Ward family.

"Grassroots campaign hopes to show support for Tony Stewart: #14-Tony Stewart has taken his share of fan criticism from the electronic media regarding his actions on the evening of August 9, when his sprint car collided with fellow racer Kevin Ward, Jr., 20, who was on foot following an on-track incident. Ward, as you are likely aware, was upset with the three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup champion, and left his car to confront Stewart, whose car was still under power. Ward was killed. The criticism of Stewart involves to what extent - indeed, if at all - Stewart should share the blame. Stewart's fans have responded, via Twitter, Facebook, email and other electronic outlets, to mount a grassroots campaign supporting Stewart this Saturday night at the NASCAR Irwin Tools 500 at Bristol Motor Speedway. The suggestion is a simple one: Stand up on lap 14, which is the number of Stewart's NASCAR Chevrolet, as well as the number of his sprint car. The supporters are rallying around the "StandWithSmoke" logo that Stewart's team introduced for his return at the Daytona 500, his first race back since he himself suffered a badly broken leg in a sprint car crash in Iowa in August, 2013. Smoke is, of course, Stewart's nickname. The Bristol movement is "100 percent fan driven" said Mike Arning, who handles communications for Stewart. Stewart did not race at Watkins Glen, or at the next race at Michigan. Arning says no timetable has been set for a decision as to whether Stewart will race at Bristol.(Motorsport)(8-20-2014)"
                                Administrator

Lupus Awareness

Comment

Working...
                                X