No announcement yet.

NASCAR Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since Jr won it this year, Id love to see Tony finally win the 500 next year...as long as Jr finishes 2nd of course.
    Denver Broncos
    New York Yankees
    New York Knicks
    Colorado Avalanche

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Peanut View Post
      More. Good for Tony, but I'm concerned what all this is going to do to the Ward family.

"Grassroots campaign hopes to show support for Tony Stewart: #14-Tony Stewart has taken his share of fan criticism from the electronic media regarding his actions on the evening of August 9, when his sprint car collided with fellow racer Kevin Ward, Jr., 20, who was on foot following an on-track incident. Ward, as you are likely aware, was upset with the three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup champion, and left his car to confront Stewart, whose car was still under power. Ward was killed. The criticism of Stewart involves to what extent - indeed, if at all - Stewart should share the blame. Stewart's fans have responded, via Twitter, Facebook, email and other electronic outlets, to mount a grassroots campaign supporting Stewart this Saturday night at the NASCAR Irwin Tools 500 at Bristol Motor Speedway. The suggestion is a simple one: Stand up on lap 14, which is the number of Stewart's NASCAR Chevrolet, as well as the number of his sprint car. The supporters are rallying around the "StandWithSmoke" logo that Stewart's team introduced for his return at the Daytona 500, his first race back since he himself suffered a badly broken leg in a sprint car crash in Iowa in August, 2013. Smoke is, of course, Stewart's nickname. The Bristol movement is "100 percent fan driven" said Mike Arning, who handles communications for Stewart. Stewart did not race at Watkins Glen, or at the next race at Michigan. Arning says no timetable has been set for a decision as to whether Stewart will race at Bristol.(Motorsport)(8-20-2014)"
      P,

I wish to be totally objective on this subject. Even us "non racing" fans (although I've watched car racing and am a sports fan in general) are commenting on this situation because a lost life is a common denominator for folks, no matter their interests or backgrounds. As I mentioned before, until a proper investigation is held, people's opinion is just that, opinion. Tony Stewart is likely the only person who knows what happened in those seconds. I hope he is innocent. And I get why so many folks are hurt by the fact that the social media of this world think they can call shots from a distance, with no facts to support them. And if Tony is innocent of any intentional wrongdoing, how cruel of them to attack him liberally. But I am not surprised given the "bully" approach that so many take these days online. It's a sad dialogue that feasts itself in this world, every day. It's one of the major flaws of this new "socially active" world.

Having said that, I do wonder a bit about rallies and such, supporting him. If it's to show that they are opposing the negativity out there, I do understand that. That negativity should have zero impact on the proceedings. And therefore it should be stifled. It has no value in the investigation, and all it is doing is aiming at one man....who is innocent until proven otherwise. Therefore I condone the basic nature of speaking up for Stewart, to defend him, given he is not guilty of anything at this point.

The only part I wonder about, in this regard, is if the support is meant to also impact the outcome of the investigation. For, just like the negativity has no bearing on the outcome, so should the support. We can not bias events. And I am sure that is what you mean as well. I take it that the support is meant to take away from all the mean, careless commentary out there, and help someone who must be deeply scarred by this incident.

It's time for everyone to be objective. A man was killed. And even though he made a fundamental mistake that others have also made (by leaving his car and walking on the track), he and his family and friends, and what we call law and order in a democratic society deserve to be respected through a proper review. And another man was involved, and the truth will resolve all concerns. We, the public, have the right to our own opinion, but in the end, objectivity HAS TO BE the governing factor.

Does this make sense to you?
      Last edited by CanDB; 08-20-2014, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        P,

I wish to be totally objective on this subject. Even us "non racing" fans (although I've watched car racing and am a sports fan in general) are commenting on this situation because a lost life is a common denominator for folks, no matter their interests or backgrounds. As I mentioned before, until a proper investigation is held, people's opinion is just that, opinion. Tony Stewart is likely the only person who knows what happened in those seconds. I hope he is innocent. And I get why so many folks are hurt by the fact that the social media of this world think they can call shots from a distance, with no facts to support them. And if Tony is innocent of any intentional wrongdoing, how cruel of them to attack him liberally. But I am not surprised given the "bully" approach that so many take these days online. It's a sad dialogue that feasts itself in this world, every day. It's one of the major flaws of this new "socially active" world.
        If that is in response to my comment, let me clarify. I was referring to the people that have been very hateful, accusing Stewart of intentionally hitting Ward and their only exposure to Stewart/NASCAR are clips of Stewart throwing his helmet at a car (because there's no way he could hit the driver being that he's in a car, with the window net up) on SC. Since you have not done this, I was not talking about people like yourself.

Having said that, I do wonder a bit about rallies and such, supporting him. If it's to show that they are opposing the negativity out there, I do understand that. That negativity should have zero impact on the proceedings. And therefore it should be stifled. It has no value in the investigation, and all it is doing is aiming at one man....who is innocent until proven otherwise. Therefore I condone the basic nature of speaking up for Stewart, to defend him, given he is not guilty of anything at this point.
        That was my take on it. I could be wrong, but that's what I think it's for.

The only part I wonder about, in this regard, is if the support is meant to also impact the outcome of the investigation. For, just like the negativity has no bearing on the outcome, so should the support. We can not bias events. And I am sure that is what you mean as well. I take it that the support is meant to take away from all the mean, careless commentary out there, and help someone who must be deeply scarred by this incident.
        I would be very disappointed if the investigating process took into account the fans' and media's opinions (and that's all it is) on what happened that night. I'm not talking about eyewitnesses.

It's time for everyone to be objective. A man was killed. And even though he made a fundamental mistake that others have also made (by leaving his car and walking on the track), he and his family and friends, and what we call law and order in a democratic society deserve to be respected through a proper review. And another man was involved, and the truth will resolve all concerns. We, the public, have the right to our own opinion, but in the end, objectivity HAS TO BE the governing factor.

Does this make sense to you?
        By "everyone", do you mean in general? Because I think everyone that has posted in this thread about this situation has been very objective.
        Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

By "everyone", do you mean in general? Because I think everyone that has posted in this thread about this situation has been very objective.
          I think anyone who takes a strong side without having all the facts, which is true of anything, is not being totally objective. Sometimes we have biases, sometimes prior behaviour influences our decisions, and if it's someone we care about from a very personal perspective, we can be swayed. It's the nature of human behaviour. In the end, justice typically prevails, and all opinions outside those with valid info, are nothing more than opinion.

(I'm not saying posters here have lacked objectivity. That's not my role. I'm sure everyone believes in their posts.)

Comment

If that is in response to my comment, let me clarify. I was referring to the people that have been very hateful, accusing Stewart of intentionally hitting Ward and their only exposure to Stewart/NASCAR are clips of Stewart throwing his helmet at a car (because there's no way he could hit the driver being that he's in a car, with the window net up) on SC. Since you have not done this, I was not talking about people like yourself.
            Meant to respond to this too......I saw more than one post mentioning "non race" fans, so I did include it in my post, because I felt like it may be relevant to this discussion. But I also have heard that on the radio from one or more racing people, and although I understand that specific knowledge is a powerful thing, I don't see it excluding others from getting involved. Again, a lost life is very real to most, if not all of us.

Further, I think it's good from time to time for outsiders to assess situations, because sometimes industries, organizations, etc. are hard to change. For example, fighting is legal in hockey. However, whenever there's an uproar about it, the leagues, coaches, players, and other "insiders" typically stick up for it. Does that make it right? I think not. I know hockey, and I am ok with a fair fight, but it's a time bomb waiting to happen. It may not be the punch, but falling head first to the ice. Or, it may be long term concussion problems, which is becoming more of a topic in many sports.

So P, my answer is only marginally influenced by the references in this thread, but more so by what I have heard on the radio. And it is not aimed at folks with your position on it.

Cool?
            Last edited by CanDB; 08-20-2014, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• Tony is sitting out again at Bristol & Burton will be in the #14 again...

Think i'm gonna skip it as well & head out to the local track with the kids, just having a hard time keeping interest at this point.
              sigpic

Comment

Several race car drivers have been killed this year in several different venues.
                None of those tragic incidents resulted in accusations of vehicular manslaughter against the driver of the car that caused the accident.

Racers have been getting out of their cars to taunt the guy that crashed them for as long as I can remember.
                Anyone who knows racing can come up with dozens of the top drivers who have done this.
                Sometimes it carries into harsh words or fisticuffs later in the day and might carry over for a few races.
                Sometimes after reviewing the tape, apologies are made and all is forgiven and forgotten that same day.

This has always been part of stock car racing.

These drivers have been racing since they were in pre-school.
                They have all worked their way up through the smaller venues.
                They all respect each other for the most part because they all have gone through the same things for years.
                Of all the drivers I have been familiar with my whole life, I cannot think of one that would intentionally mow down a fellow driver, no matter how much bad blood may be between them.
                Not one, and I've seen some rivalries over the years.

I'm not a die-hard Tony fan nor am I a hater.
                But I am able to make a determination of what happened.

I watched the original tape over and over again before it was taken off the web.
                The bump by Tony that sent Ward's car to the fence was a legit racing maneuver.
                Similar to the move that we saw Johnson do to Newman a couple times last week.
                Ward wasn't happy about it and neither was Newman.
                But that's racing.

The tragic incident that took Ward's life was an accident, pure and simple.
                If it were not for Tony's fame and fortune, this story would not be in the news.

Masazi Iso was hit and killed by another car while walking away from his crash in an open wheel F3 practice.

Robert Kaarto wast hit and killed by another car in a race as he attempted to get out of his burning stock car.

Joe Quinn was hit and killed by another car after he crashed his stock car.

I am so sorry for the traumatic effects this insane media coverage is piling on Ward's and Tony's families.
                It's time to stop the mass media hammering and let these folks try to heal.
                Prayers for them.
                Last edited by AZ Snake Fan; 08-20-2014, 04:34 PM.

May God Bless all men and women of our Armed Forces, past and present
                The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing
                http://www.navyjack.info/history.html
                My Adopted Bronco is #95 Derek Wolfe

Comment

• You go AZ! :clap: You make some great valid points.

I would say more on the matter like you just did, but frankly i'm just too dang bummed about it all.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncosFanInPA View Post
                    You go AZ! :clap: You make some great valid points.

I would say more on the matter like you just did, but frankly i'm just too dang bummed about it all.
                    Just out of interest, do you and others think that this thing should be investigated, at least to some degree? I certainly do not care if others (in this forum) support my position. I believe in my position. What I know, what I have been taught, is that we review things such as this. This is not just a race.

Comment

• For the record, I agree with AZ.

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                      Just out of interest, do you and others think that this thing should be investigated, at least to some degree? I certainly do not care if others (in this forum) support my position. I believe in my position. What I know, what I have been taught, is that we review things such as this. This is not just a race.
                      CanDB, where do you get the idea that anyone in this thread does not want an investigation? We have stated our opinions. Period. Unless I have missed it, no one has said that there shouldn't be an investigation. That it's not necessary. I'm sorry, but this just irks me.

There is an on-going investigation. At the time, they said it would take a couple of weeks. I think we have about another week to wait. I just hope that they get it right. Whatever that is.
                      Last edited by Peanut; 08-20-2014, 10:24 PM.
                      Administrator

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

For the record, I agree with AZ.

CanDB, where do you get the idea that anyone in this thread does not want an investigation? We have stated our opinions. Period. Unless I have missed it, no one has said that there shouldn't be an investigation. That it's not necessary. I'm sorry, but this just irks me.

There is an on-going investigation. At the time, they said it would take a couple of weeks. I think we have about another week to wait. I just hope that they get it right. Whatever that is.
                        I guess I will have to re read the posts. Maybe in error I have missed some objectivity. Maybe I am reading too much into what I read.

And maybe I thought it best to await the outcome.

By the way, for the record I am hoping the best for Tony. He must be devastated.
                        Last edited by CanDB; 08-20-2014, 09:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                          I guess I will have to re read the posts. Maybe in error I have missed some objectivity. Maybe I am reading too much into what I read.

And maybe I thought it best to await the outcome.

By the way, for the record I am hoping the best for Tony. He must be devastated.
                          I corrected my above post. The "For the record, I agree with AZ." was not aimed at you. It was just a general statement. I should have put it above your quote, where it now sits.

It might be a good idea to reread the posts.

The bolded: So, we're not suppose to discuss this until after the investigation is over?
                          Administrator

Lupus Awareness

Comment

I corrected my above post. The "For the record, I agree with AZ." was not aimed at you. It was just a general statement. I should have put it above your quote, where it now sits.

It might be a good idea to reread the posts.

The bolded: So, we're not suppose to discuss this until after the investigation is over?
                            I am off to an appointment. After a cruddy sleep, and some reflection, I believe I am done with this thread. I wanted to expand upon my last response but thought better, because these things can drag on unnecessarily. I believe in what I wanted to convey in this thread, and will leave it at that. Everyone has the right to their opinion, and occasionally it's cool to discuss / debate. That's what this forum is about.

Thanks gang for listening.

Comment

• I don't know what you all are doing tonight, but I'm on here for our game (it's not televised) and hubby is going to be watching his. So, we're recording the race. That means that I won't come into this thread until I watch the race.

It was a good NW race last night. I'm disappointed in the outcome, though. I wish NASCAR was more consistent with their rule-calling. Like hanging back on restarts (Ambrose) or jumping the start. I've seen drivers warned or penalized for what I've seen happen the last few weeks.

I was not impressed with Duno when she drove in IndyCar (she's the one that Patrick use to complain about. "Get her out of my way. She shouldn't be out here"). I was more impressed with Simona De Silvestro, but she's testing cars for F1.

I do like Duno's prep work, though. 3 years in ARCA. That tells me she's serious. I hope she does well.

Note on the last update: she did not qualify for last night's race.

Milka Duno to run some races for RAB UPDATE: RAB Racing has signed multiple race-winning driver Milka Duno to compete in select races in the 2014 NASCAR Nationwide Series and with the entry Duno will become the first Hispanic female driver in history to compete in a NASCAR national series in the United States. A successful driver who has competed in multiple racing series Duno has eight major race wins in the highest classes (Prototype) in the American Le Mans Series and the Grand American Rolex Series and the highest finish ever by a female driver (2nd place) in the 24 Hours at Daytona - in the now 52-year history of the race. In making her transition to stock car racing and her ultimate entry into NASCAR Duno has been competing in the ARCA Racing Series for the past three seasons. In 2011 and 2012 she competed in partial schedules and in her first full ARCA season in 2013, competing with Venturini Motorsports, she finished the season 7th in the driver point standings and became the 2nd highest finishing female driver in ARCA's now 62-year history. Veteran crew chief Chris Rice will helm Duno's NNS effort.(Duno PR), no word on how many races she will run or where.(8-4-2014)
                              UPDATE: Milka Duno's first NASCAR Nationwide Series race will be Friday, August 22 in the Food City 300 at Bristol Motor Speedway. This will mark the first time in NASCAR history that a Hispanic female driver will compete in a NASCAR national series race in the United States. Duno will compete in RAB Racing's #29 Toyota Camry.(Duno PR)(8-19-2014)
                              Administrator

Lupus Awareness

Comment

I don't know what you all are doing tonight, but I'm on here for our game (it's not televised) and hubby is going to be watching his. So, we're recording the race. That means that I won't come into this thread until I watch the race.
                                I won't be watching the race either Peanut...heading to Jennerstown Speedway with the family for some local short track action, kids love going.

I would have never thought of missing a cup race in the past but with all that's going on with tony & him not racing...i'm just not that concerned with it at this point & time but i still will follow things.

Hope it's it good one in bristol tonight, enjoy the show guys & gals.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X