NASCAR Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ELWAY421 View Post
    I couldn't agree more DB. Maybe because JR is my favorite driver, lol. I don't think Newman has any business in the final four either. I wish NASCAR would just go back to the old format of points with maybe more emphasis on winning. Dale Sr was my favorite driver & once he passed I've pulled for JR, I'd just like to see JR win one championship before he retires & this year he was real close. Had NASCAR kept a simular format to what it had last year he may have won it this year.
    Yeah it's just real frustrating that in JR's career year he is eliminated under some stupid new format that didn't even achieve the purpose it was designed to accomplish.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
      So I completely understand what was posted in response to my post. But I'm not sure I like it one bit. All this emphasis on winning and it may flop in the very first season.

While I do appreciate consistency I think there is a simple solution to this problem which I realize will never see the light of day. It's simple enough. You don't win a race during the season then you don't qualify for the chase. That's how you put an emphasis on winning. I know 16 drivers don't win a race all season but I believe at least 10 did. To me that's a large enough field to go with.

I know this isn't the first time someone has come close to winning the championship on consistency without winning. Jr. has been at #2 entering the chase before without a regular season win. But I just don't like the concept of calling someone a winner that never actually won anything. I think that put's too much emphasis on consistency.

I'm sure you all that follow much closer than I do are opposed to all I'm saying. I just find it hard to back a guy like Newman who didn't win a race all season.

It's just funny to me that the new emphasis is on winning but yet if this was still last years Chase rules, Jr. and Johnson would both be ahead of Newman and still very much alive.
      What is the point in even saying if it was last years rules?

It's not & it does not matter what the results "would be"...they are what they are & everyone played by the same rules, so stop blaming newman for being in a position to capitalize & win a championship.

But allow me to play along for a moment...Back in 2003 Ryan Newman won 8 races & led the sport in wins but did not win the cup, in fact he was not even close, finishing 6th in points. Meanwhile Matt Kenseth won 1 race & won the championship in the process.

Don't get me wrong i'm not a big newman fan, but come on man, he earned his position just as much as anybody else based on the scoring system & just maybe if he wins it all with no wins this season...perhaps it will be some sort of redemption for the 2003 season & the cup he didn't win when he won a ton of races.
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncosFanInPA View Post
        What is the point in even saying if it was last years rules?

It's not & it does not matter what the results "would be"...they are what they are & everyone played by the same rules, so stop blaming newman for being in a position to capitalize & win a championship.

But allow me to play along for a moment...Back in 2003 Ryan Newman won 8 races & led the sport in wins but did not win the cup, in fact he was not even close, finishing 6th in points. Meanwhile Matt Kenseth won 1 race & won the championship in the process.

Don't get me wrong i'm not a big newman fan, but come on man, he earned his position just as much as anybody else based on the scoring system & just maybe if he wins it all with no wins this season...perhaps it will be some sort of redemption for the 2003 season & the cup he didn't win when he won a ton of races.
        My point of saying that was the new rules were supposed to put more emphasis on winning.

But the ironic part is that it actually put less emphasis on winning and I was saying last years rules would've rewarded winning more than this years rules.

And I could care less what Newman did 11 years ago.

That's like saying the 9-7 Giants Super Bowl season was vindication for losing in 2001 when they were much better. Except in football you actually have to win to advance.

I realize football and any other sport has potential champions that were not so great during the regular season though.
        Last edited by DenverBlood; 11-12-2014, 08:00 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

• Here ya go DB :thumb:

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup...nale-homestead

HOMESTEAD, Fla. -- Irony abounds in this year's NASCAR Chase for the Sprint Cup, and it seems Ryan Newman is at the center of most of it.

Most observers believe NASCAR's creation of the Chase a decade ago was a reaction to Matt Kenseth winning the 2003 Cup series championship with a single race victory. But Newman played a big part, too.

The Indiana native and Purdue engineering school graduate won eight races that year while driving for Penske Racing. He claimed pole position 11 times. He led nearly 1,200 laps, or four times as many as Kenseth did.

Ryan Newman's numbers in the No. 31 Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet: zero wins, four top-5s ... and a 1-in-4 shot at the 2014 Sprint Cup championship.
          Yet Newman ended what looked on paper like a dominant season a distant sixth in the standings. That, NASCAR evidently concluded, was an injustice, and the Chase was duly introduced in 2004, initially with 10 drivers.

Conspiracy theorists will try to convince you that the changes made to the Chase format over the years -- first to 12 drivers, then 13, then this year to 16, with a trio of three-race elimination rounds -- were made to end the championship domination of Jimmie Johnson and the No. 48 Hendrick Motorsports team.

And as it happens, six-time Cup Series champion Johnson is not one of the four drivers who will compete for the Sprint Cup title this weekend at Homestead-Miami Speedway (Sunday, 3 p.m. ET, ESPN and WatchESPN), despite putting together a championship-worthy 2014 campaign with four wins and 1,310 laps led.

Newman, however, did make the final four, despite leading just 41 laps all season and notching only four top-5 finishes.

If Newman prevails in the championship Sunday -- the Cup champion will be the top finisher in the race among Newman, Joey Logano, Kevin Harvick and Denny Hamlin -- he will tie or break a record for the fewest top-5 finishes by the champion. Red Byron had five in 1949 -- out of six starts.

So there's your irony. After being hurt by the point system in place in 2003, Newman has been the biggest beneficiary of the rethink that resulted in Chase version 4.0.

The guy who lost a championship despite winning a lot of races is potentially NASCAR's first winless champion.

You could say it's a case of lesson learned, because Newman is unrepentant about being in the position he's in.

"I don't really pay any attention to it," he said. "I'm not really so worried about what somebody thinks of me, and if I'm a 'sleeper' or an 'underdog' or the odd man out, or whatever you want to call me. I'm having fun and that's what it's supposed to be about.

"We're just doing our job," he added. "We've kept ourselves in the hunt. We're doing our job and having fun doing it. I don't let the emotions side of it carry any real weight."

Maybe it's not surprising that an engineering major is taking a calculated, numbers-based approach toward this year's elimination-style Chase.

The elimination format was supposed to favor winning, but the final four ended up having two drivers (Newman and Hamlin, who has one win) who got there by good old-fashioned points racing.

"The mathematics have definitely worked in our favor," Newman said. "It's not the typical equation that you have where performance is equal to a championship run. Our consistency has been our strength, and our consistency has been not in the top three. Our consistency has been basically fifth to 11th more often than not, and it's been very difficult to lead laps for us.

"But in the end, the championship trophy doesn't have the number of wins under it. We've got victories -- maybe just not in the 2014 season."

NASCAR CEO Brian France is certainly not worried about the prospect of Newman winning the championship.

"We would like that," France said. "The best team will win on Sunday. There has always has been the possibility that someone could win the championship without winning an event. I think it's great that we have three drivers competing that won races and one that didn't. I do think whoever comes out as champion on Sunday has to think about winning the race.

"It's all about the balance," he added. "We don't want a system that ignores consistency. The question is do we have the right balance and I would say unmistakably we do. Ryan is the underdog at this point, but they kind of like that, so we'll see how it plays out."

Whether or not he wins the championship, Newman's move to Richard Childress Racing this year has been a success. That's another twist to the 2014 NASCAR storyline -- what was pretty much a straight driver swap between Childress and Stewart-Haas Racing, with SHR hiring Harvick to take Newman's place and Newman sliding into Harvick's old spot at RCR.

It may look like SHR got the better end of the deal, because Harvick has often been the driver to beat in 2014, amassing four wins and leading a series-best 2,083 laps.

But Newman and RCR have the same chance of winning the championship as Harvick and SHR on Sunday.

"We have not been a dominant car by any means, if you look at our laps led and top-5s, but we've been a consistent car and guys have gotten better," Newman said. "When I say 'guys,' I mean me included because we've matured this year as far as getting to experience more things coming back to the racetracks for the second time and improving on the things that we've learned. Richard has given us the tools that we need. ECR [engine builder Earnhardt-Childress Racing] has given us the tools that we need. We've been very reliable and it's a big part of what's got us to this point.

"We've gotten stronger as the year has gone, without a doubt. But to win the championship will take us continuing to perform and outperform where we have performed."

A victory at Homestead would definitely be timely, and it would certainly minimize the scrutiny and second-guessing that would inevitably accompany a Newman championship.

"You win the race this weekend, you win the championship, if you're one of us four," Newman said. "To me, that's really what it's all about, and that's why, on our side at least, our intent is the same. We've gone into every race with the intention of winning it and leading the most laps and winning the pole and everything else that goes along with it. We just haven't been as successful as some of these other guys.

"It's really a storybook, I guess, in some form or fashion," he added. "But hopefully we can get through Sunday and write our own book."
          sigpic

Comment

• Good read, PA.

When I said the mean me wants Newman to win, it wasn't anything against him. It was a jab at NASCAR. When Harvick and Logano changed teams, they did so much better. I was hoping Newman would do good, too. Winning the Championship would kind of make up for it, wouldn't it?

I wonder how long it took France to come up with the "proper" quotes? After pulling his hair out and yelling, "This wasn't suppose to happen!!!"?

Harvick seems to be playing mind games with Joey. I hope Joey finishes well ahead of him.

Did anyone see the Truck race last night? Great racing in the last 20 laps. I don't care too much for Crafton, but congrats on back-to-back championships (first time ever in the Truck series). Congrats to Wallace for the win (nice tribute to someone's mom. She died yesterday morning). He had a good year. Congrats to KBM for the Owner's Points Championship.

If you didn't see the race, you have to at least check out the Wallace-Busch nose-to-nose burn-out.

The only video I could find is on Kyle's FB and I can't link it. https://www.facebook.com/KBMteam

It's on the left, under Videos.
            Last edited by Peanut; 11-15-2014, 11:41 AM.
            Administrator

#Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

#LupusAwarenessMonth

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• The troll in me wants Newman to win. I really would like to see Joey win, but my brother is a Harvick fan, so it should be interesting tomorrow lol
              sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

• Well congrats to Kevin Harvick. Once the Bronco disaster ended I switched over to the race. That finish was crazy and at one point all 4 chase drivers were running 1-4. I thought Harvick gave the race away by taking 4 tires but it ended up being the move of the race along with some ballsy driving by Harvick. Not sure Gordon pitted while leading at the end and basically handed the race away
                sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

• Congrats to Kevin Harvick on winning his first cup championship, it was well deserved.

Weather you like him or not, nobody can deny the fact of that team being the most dominate team from the start of the year until the end & he could have had about 10-12 wins but just had things happen that prevented it.

But no doubt about it, that was the best team all season. :clap:
                  sigpic

Comment

• Congrats to Harvick! Much deserved.

Comment

• Congrats to Harvick and SHR. It was really good to see the friendship Harvick and Tony have. Good to see Tony smile.

I hope the truth (whatever that is) comes out about the Kurt Busch situation.
                      Administrator

#LupusAwarenessMonth

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• Tony Stewart has undergone a fourth surgery on the leg he broke last year during a sprint car race in Iowa.

Stewart was released from a hospital on Wednesday. He was then headed to Las Vegas to celebrate Stewart-Haas Racing teammate Kevin Harvick's championship.

Stewart spokesman Mike Arning called Monday's surgery in Charlotte, North Carolina, the equivalent of routine maintenance.
                        http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tony-st...3--nascar.html

Surgery is the equivalent of routine maintenance? That just sounded odd.
                        Administrator

#LupusAwarenessMonth

Comment

• Brian Vickers has heart surgery...sounds like some serious stuff there, hope he can recover & get back to racing.

Vickers seems like a nice guy & can't seem to catch a break with his health. Best of luck to him.

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup...-heart-surgery

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- NASCAR driver Brian Vickers underwent surgery to repair a hole in his heart for a second time, and the recovery period will cause him to miss the start of the 2015 season.

Vickers said in a statement Monday issued by Michael Waltrip Racing that his previous health issues have given him "a very keen understanding of my body'' that helped him recognize something wasn't right last week. Tests revealed his body was rejecting the artificial patch he received in a 2010 procedure to fix the hole in his heart.

Brian Vickers will miss the start of the 2015 season after undergoing surgery to repair a hole in his heart.
                          He said he had another "corrective'' surgery Saturday to repair the hole.

"I have faced obstacles before and it has made victory that much sweeter and I know that will be the case again,'' the 31-year-old said. "I will need plenty of time, rest and rehab, but this temporary setback will not stop me from pursuing my dream of becoming a NASCAR Sprint Cup champion.''

MWR did not name a replacement driver for the No. 55 Toyota, or address how long Vickers may be sidelined.

"MWR has plenty to consider and we will confer with our partners, including (sponsor) Aaron's and Toyota,'' said MWR co-owner Rob Kauffman. "As this is fresh news, we will adjust our future plans as more information becomes available.''

It's the third major health issue to sideline Vickers since 2010.

Vickers missed the final five races of the 2013 season because he was placed on blood thinners to treat a blood clot in his right calf. He also missed 25 races during the 2010 season when clots were discovered in his legs and lungs.

During his 2010 absence, he underwent a pair of procedures -- one to close a hole in his heart and another to insert a stent into a vein in his left leg. He was private about the heart surgery and only addressed it a month after the procedure.

Vickers is headed into his 12th season in the Cup Series, fourth with MWR. He shared a seat in the No. 55 Toyota with Mark Martin in 2012 and most of 2013, and took it over full-time this season.

A three-time Sprint Cup Series winner, Vickers had nine top-10 finishes this season and was 22nd in the final standings.

In 58 races with MWR, Vickers has one win (New Hampshire, 2013) and won the pole at Talladega last October. He's the 2003 Nationwide champion and was the youngest in series history to do so until Chase Elliott broke Vickers' mark this season.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Sorry to hear about Brian Vickers, the guy can't catch a break.

Also Sprint is leaving Nascar after the 2015 season. Let the chaos resume
                            sigpic

Comment

• I wonder who will take there place?
                              Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
                              sigpic

Comment

• Prayers for BV
                                My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

Working...
                                X