No announcement yet.

NASCAR Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In my search for the Indy 500 thread, I came across another NASCAR thread from 2006. No, I'm not going to merge them. Interesting conversation.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...ghlight=nascar
    Administrator
    sigpic

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer - Adopted Bronco: Phillip Lindsay

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
      I still can't believe Gordon is giving it up full time. I get why and I hope he enjoys the heck out of it, he has earned it. But he could still compete for more championships if he wanted to. He has been a very good driver and good for the sport and I am happy for him.
      As for Tony, I don't think Tony has been the same since Zip left. I still think he has more left in the tank though.

Gordon will hang around NASCAR for quite a while like Mark Martin did.

I agree FL BRONCO, Tony still "has more left in the tank".
      He has been improving, making aggressive moves, made the top 12 (12th lol) in quals for Charlotte.
      I am going to be ROFL when Tony wins this season and makes the chase because PA will freak out !
      Everyone on his team has good cars, Tony just needs a better crew.
      I think Tony knows that and will get it fixed.
      Tony has always been able to come on strong in the second half of the season.

~~~

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
      I've always said, Tony's likability and talent hinges on his weight. Fat Tony=Angry Tony, Skinny Tony=happy and successful Tony. He packs the weight on and he starts getting grumpy.
      ~~~ We're not supposed to use the F word anymore. PC police will come for you !

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
      In my search for the Indy 500 thread, I came across another NASCAR thread from 2006. No, I'm not going to merge them. Interesting conversation.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...ghlight=nascar
      Wow, blast from the past !
      Thanks for the no-merge Peanut !!

I might dish out some 9 year old negs lol.

Motorcross is one of the most physically demanding sports.
      You don't really know how much so unless you have participated.
      Driving a race car is right up there; suggest some of the haters try it.
      I've raced cars and motorcycles since I was a kid, and I've played football, basketball and ran track.
      Regardless, anyone who doesn't consider these drivers athletes are simply uninformed.
      Takes moxy, brains and brawn !!!

~~~

Here's to a great time at Charlotte !!!

May God Bless all men and women of our Armed Forces, past and present
      The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing
      http://www.navyjack.info/history.html
      My Adopted Bronco is #95 Derek Wolfe

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Snake Fan View Post

Gordon will hang around NASCAR for quite a while like Mark Martin did.

I agree FL BRONCO, Tony still "has more left in the tank".
        He has been improving, making aggressive moves, made the top 12 (12th lol) in quals for Charlotte.
        I am going to be ROFL when Tony wins this season and makes the chase because PA will freak out !
        Everyone on his team has good cars, Tony just needs a better crew.
        I think Tony knows that and will get it fixed.
        Tony has always been able to come on strong in the second half of the season.

~~~

~~~ We're not supposed to use the F word anymore. PC police will come for you !

Wow, blast from the past !
        Thanks for the no-merge Peanut !!

I might dish out some 9 year old negs lol.

Motorcross is one of the most physically demanding sports.
        You don't really know how much so unless you have participated.
        Driving a race car is right up there; suggest some of the haters try it.
        I've raced cars and motorcycles since I was a kid, and I've played football, basketball and ran track.
        Regardless, anyone who doesn't consider these drivers athletes are simply uninformed.
        Takes moxy, brains and brawn !!!

~~~

Here's to a great time at Charlotte !!!
        Fluffy Tony?
        sigpic

Comment

Bad day for a lot of drivers, especially the JGR Team.
          Kyle was doing exceptional up until his crash.
          I'm glad he "walked" away okay and didn't injure his legs again.

~~~

Is this for real ? :

Comment

• 48 wins yet again at dover for the 10th time...what a shocker! if your not a fan of that team then you have to be sick of watching this over & over.

if this isn't a wake up call to nascar to change the dam schedule up like harvick mentioned a few weeks back then they are just blind!

first thing that needs done is a bunch of these tracks with 2 dates need cut to 1 & it starts with dover & to be more specific, the chase date for dover needs to go...along with pocono, michigan, talladega, & texas just to name a few that should only get 1 race date.

next shorten the overall schedule to 30 or 32 races with the chase cutoff being set after 20 & still leaves 10 for the chase run.

put iowa on the schedule along with another road course that falls in the chase & for the love of god change the 10 chase races up & move races around & add new ones into the chase!
            sigpic

Comment

And I want to bring back real stock cars with chrome bumpers !

It is what it is PA.
              NASCAR = Lots of $ + Brian France. He is all about the money, period.
              Bill France would've stopped this madness by now.

I thought the COT was the worst.
              These new ones are just funny cars.
              Wrapped up roll cages.
              Too much emphasis on down force.

The only bright spot on the horizon are these amazing young kids !
              Gotta face it, times they are a changing.

Comment

• Not who I thought would be the first one penalized for the new rule. Good for Cobb for owning what she did. If she had more fans, someone would have started a gofundme thing to help with the cost. I admire her for hanging in there with the bigger teams.

"Cobb, who owns her truck team and runs it on a $300,000 annual budget (the top teams spend $3-4 million a year), said she has a reputation of giving respect to the lead-lap trucks and had given Reddick plenty of room to pass her. Damage on the right-rear corner of her truck shows that Reddick made contact with her, she said. "I completely forgot [the rule]," Cobb said. "And the fact that I forgot is such a shame because the reason it is in place likely stems from a tragedy that none of us should forget. ... It was a huge error in judgment on my part. "The fact that we had a very stern meeting [after the race] will keep it top of mind with me for sure." Cobb indicated she would be penalized for her reaction. "We'll see what happens," Cobb said. "There's repercussions, and I hope it didn't make a bad day worse. It wasn't that I knew and didn't care. I forgot. In the moment you're just like, 'What just happened?' ... I wasn't thinking about any of that. I was just mad."
                Reddick said he didn't believe he had contact with Cobb but, as a former owner of the car he raced on dirt tracks, he can relate to the frustration a driver/owner feels in that situation. "We were lapped traffic early on in the race and Jennifer was trying to pass another vehicle and she looked like she was going to give me three-wide and then she closed the door so I whoa'd up to try and avoid from getting in the back of her," said Reddick, who drives for Brad Keselowski Racing.(ESPN)(5-30-2015)
                UPDATE 2:Jennifer Jo Cobb, driver of the #10 truck, has received a penalty for her actions during the May 29 race (Sections 12-1, 12.8 b and 10.4.2.1 NASCAR rule book). Cobb has been fined $5,000 and placed on NASCAR probation through Dec. 31.(NASCAR)(6-3-2015)
                UPDATE 3: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series driver Jennifer Jo Cobb won't appeal a $5,000 penalty and probation for the remainder of the season after walking onto a hot track in last Friday's Lucas Oil 200 at Dover (Del.) International Speedway. "I believe NASCAR has acted in a fair and necessary manner," Cobb told CATCHFENCE.com. "The irony is that there are no consequences to turning someone head first into a wall. NASCAR is diligent about our safety and that is something I have always appreciated. I hope we can continue to see improvements in rules and policies that best benefit the entire NASCAR community. "We will not appeal and now can fully shift our focus on Friday night's race at Texas." Cobb will make her 100th career NASCAR Camping World Truck Series start Friday night at Texas Motor Speedway.(Catchfence.com)(6-4-2015)"
                Administrator
                sigpic

#LupusAwareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• ^^^ I didn't see it live but i saw the video of it earlier today & you have to admit it was a boneheaded move :doh: for sure & it kinda reminded me a little bit of what happened with tony & kevin ward.

I mean she was nearly in the middle of the track as the trucks were coming towards her...very dangerous situation & even though it's in the heat of the moment, these race car driver's have got to think before acting & putting themselves at risk.

To AZ: In regards to the commercial with jimmie & the girl...i saw it once before like a week or so back & thought it was beyond stupid & to be quite honest, somewhat tasteless.

I mean seriously...first off he is married (how does his wife feel about this) & so i think they could have picked somebody else to play the role, perhaps kasey kahne? secondly...who the heck wants something smelling like burnt rubber? if that's what it actually is.
                  sigpic

Comment

Jenny Jo had to own up; it was a flagrant violation of the new safety rule but Reddick is the lucky one because she could probably kick his butt. Don't know if I'm buying that she forgot the rule but it just goes to show how much passion plays a role in motor sports.

PA, I have the youtube of the commercial on the previous page.
                    First thing I thought of...who wants to smell like burnt rubber lol ?
                    I thought the lady in the ad was his wife.

I'm ready for Pocono !!!

Comment

• I'm so glad that martin truex got the win :clap:

There has not been a more deserving team for a win than that 78 team...rock solid all year & the past 4 races flat out dominating, so congrats to them.

If tony decides to hang it up, i may start pulling for truex...he is a class act & i'm happy for him doing so well.
                      sigpic

Comment

The 78 team is out of Denver !

I am very happy for Truex, his team, owner, Martin's family and friends.
                        And I'm especially happy for his girlfriend !
                        They've been through a lot and this has been a long time coming.

Now I'd like for Gordon to get a win and for Old Kyle to lock it in also.
                        Both have been running good and deserve a shot at the Chase.

Gordon for nostalgia's sake;
                        Kyle because of the hard fight he is trying to overcome.

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Snake Fan View Post

The 78 team is out of Denver !

I am very happy for Truex, his team, owner, Martin's family and friends.
                          And I'm especially happy for his girlfriend !
                          They've been through a lot and this has been a long time coming.

Now I'd like for Gordon to get a win and for Old Kyle to lock it in also.
                          Both have been running good and deserve a shot at the Chase.

Gordon for nostalgia's sake;
                          Kyle because of the hard fight he is trying to overcome.
                          I've avoided this thread because I hadn't seen the race. I watched it last night.

That was so cool. I've been pulling for the 78. They've been running so good this year. One-car team out of Denver. How can we not be happy for them? Plus all the great stories.

It was fun watching all the other teams congratulate them. Even Harvick said something nice.

Agree about Gordon and Kyle. Kyle is 39th in points. He moved up one. He should be able to get pass a bunch of them.

When I went to find the standings, they have an article about Jeff and Gustafson. Apparently, things got a little heated. This means that they're going to win in the next couple of weeks, right?
                          Administrator
                          sigpic

#LupusAwareness

Comment

• Welcome back, Kyle. Now he needs to do that in Cup.

Poor Eric Jones. He needs to stop dominating races and just be there at the end. I'm glad they didn't stick a mic in his face. It's building character, right?
                            Administrator
                            sigpic

#LupusAwareness

Comment

• So now nascar is going to make a change to the rules package midseason at Kentucky Speedway.

It was coming for 2016...less downforce to try to improve racing & passing (which has been bad) by reducing corner speeds but midseason?

Is this a result of the poor quality of racing on the track? or how bout 2 of the sports all time biggest stars in gordon & stewart with 7 championships between them struggling with this race package? or many of the other drivers complaining, or maybe even half empty seats?

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-med...print-cup.html

NASCAR Sprint Cup Series teams will compete at Kentucky Speedway next month with a new aerodynamic package that creates less downforce on today's cars and could help produce more side-by-side competition.

NASCAR Executive Vice President and Chief Racing Development Officer Steve O'Donnell made the confirmation Tuesday.

To help teams prepare for the change, Sprint Cup officials will hold an extended practice session, likely four hours total, on Wednesday, July 8, at the 1.5-mile track located in Sparta, Kentucky. The Quaker State 400 Presented by Advance Auto Parts is scheduled for Saturday night, July 11 (7:30 p.m. ET, NBCSN, PRN, SiriusXM).

"I know we've said it many times, and certainly want to reinforce it here, that we're committed to putting on the best racing on the track, and I'm certainly pleased that it's been evident from really every conversation we've had with our industry that they feel the same way,” O'Donnell said during a national teleconference.

"So following what's been really well‑documented and unprecedented communications and collaboration with our OEM partners, the race teams, drivers and Goodyear, we've made the decision to move forward with the package."

According to O’Donnell, the spoiler height will be reduced from 6 inches to 3½ inches and the splitter extension panel (radiator pan) decreased from 38 inches to 25 inches. Additionally, the splitter will have 1¾ inches less overhang than the current splitter.

Initially, a version of the rules package that included lowering the spoiler height as well as changes to the splitter and splitter extension panel was scheduled to debut next year. But with this year's lower downforce/less horsepower platform resulting in a continued increase in corner speeds and a fall-off in the amount of green-flag passes, officials stepped up their efforts to get the changes in place ahead of schedule.

The 2015 and proposed '16 changes specifically target competition on the speedways, those tracks that are more than a mile and up to two miles in length. They have little or no impact on short tracks and road courses while the series' two superspeedways, Daytona International Speedway and Talladega Superspeedway, have a separate rules package in place.

For now, the changes are only in place for Kentucky, however O’Donnell said, "any options are on the table."

However, it is too soon, he said, to speculate on possibly incorporating the package in future events, specifically this year's Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup.

"I think it's still ... premature on that one in terms of we want to get through Kentucky, really analyze what we saw at that race, have some conversations with the industry and go from there," he said.

NASCAR made several modifications prior to the start of the '15 season aimed at enhancing on-track competition. Among the changes was a reduction in horsepower through the use of tapered spacers, lower rear differential gears, shorter spoilers, a smaller radiator pan (underneath the cars) and an optional driver adjustable track bar.

Through the first 15 races of this season, the number of on-track passes under green-flag conditions is still second-most in the loop data era, which started in 2005, but it has fallen off from a high last year (64,611 vs. 60,922). Lead changes aren't limited to those battles on pit road and the hurried rush of a restart, but the majority of them now occur on those occasions.

The reduction in horsepower has allowed drivers to stay on-throttle much more through the turns, and the aero changes haven't noticeably impacted the advantage the leader has enjoyed while in clean air.

Taking downforce away could result in more off-throttle time for drivers in the turns because the cars won't be as stable, and potentially lessen the aero advantage enjoyed by the leader.

Most drivers queried about the possible change last weekend at Michigan International Speedway said they approved of the timing if NASCAR chose to roll out the changes at Kentucky.

Brad Keselowski, the 2012 Sprint Cup champion, said it's a constant battle as the sanctioning body strives to provide a quality product while the teams continue to innovate.

"In that tug of war, anytime NASCAR changes something to try to make the racing better, whether that is aerodynamically or engines or some other change, we seem to have the resources ... to gain that back, whatever they might take away with a rules change," Keselowski said Sunday at MIS.

Teams have "significantly outpaced" the sanctioning body when rules changes have been implemented, particularly in the area of aerodynamics.

"We have seen the cars gain 200-300 percent in downforce the last 10 years," he said. "At some point, NASCAR is trying to get out in front of that and that is their job, to keep the racing as good as it can be. In that sense, I completely agree that you have to continuously change the rules to keep up with the teams and the iterations that we come up with to make our cars perform that aren't necessarily in the best interest of the sport. To me, it is a good sign to see them trying to do just that."

Richard "Slugger" Labbe, named on Monday to the crew chief role for the Richard Childress Racing No. 3 team and driver Austin Dillon, told SiriusXM NASCAR that the aero changes will be impacted greatly by the tires being supplied by Goodyear.

"It all comes down to what tires we put on the cars," he said. "How Goodyear reacts to it, to me, is going to be very, very important. ... A lot of it depends on how much grip is in the tire if you go with the max downforce package."

Goodyear had been prepared to test a tire to be used with the lower-downforce package at Kentucky in mid-April with the idea that the aero rules would be in place for this year's NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race at Charlotte Motor Speedway, a non-points event. However, NASCAR eventually decided not to use the package at that time.

Now, with the Kentucky race only a month away, Goodyear officials say there isn't enough of a window to produce the 2,200 tires needed and no data exists to determine the proper build to match with the new package.

"Back at Charlotte, we had enough lead time," Stu Grant, general manager, global race tires for the company, told NASCAR.com Sunday. "When you test in March, you can make a tire for May. But the process is so labor-intensive ... it's months in the making to do that. You can't turn the Queen Mary on a dime."

The production run for the Kentucky tires had already been completed when the subject of the aero package changes resurfaced.

"Certainly (the Kentucky tire) is not going to have the grip that they want," Grant said.

O'Donnell said the plan to incorporate the changes into the All-Star Race was scrapped due to time constraints. With the Sprint Cup Series off this weekend, and stops at Sonoma and Daytona up next, teams have three weeks before the Kentucky race.

"I think the key there is having everything fully vetted, the (simulation) work done, the communication with the industry and (having) everybody fully aligned," he said. "And candidly, at the All-Star Race, it was an aggressive plan, and we just weren't there at that time, but we are there now.

"We feel like this is the best package we can put forth as an industry for the race in Kentucky and feel confident in it."

sigpic

Comment

• This has the potential & i say potential cautiously, to really alter the second half of the season.

Maybe we will have some new players to win races instead of harvick, truex, busch & johnson. but i will reserve judgement until we see how this plays out.

One thing for sure...this sure the heck can't hurt guys like gordon, stewart, biffle & bowyer.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X