Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BroncosFanInPA
    replied
    Wow! what an incredible crash on the final lap of the truck race, glad everyone is ok & my god that had to be scary for crafton... thankfully he landed right side up back on the ground instead of on his roof because that could have been super bad.

It's the nature of the beast with these restrictor plate races...it's not a matter of if, just a matter of when it happens & it almost always happens on the final lap across all series racing.

I would like to see a clean 500 but i know the odds are against it...enjoy it all :thumb:

Leave a comment:

• Peanut
    replied
    Originally posted by kingelway7 View Post
    Well, it currently pouring here and has been for literally the last 12 straight hours. Tomorrows chance of rain has dropped though from 90% to 70%, and at race time tomorrow night its down to 20%. So, things are looking a tad bit better. The hour by hour forecast has the rain ending between 4-5pm tomorrow. If thats the case, and the skies continue to stay clear, they should have the track dry in time to start the Duals on time.

Fingers crossed.

Thankfully the forecast for Sunday is Sunshine w/ clear skies
    I haven't seen the first race yet so I don't know how the weather was during the day, but it seems like the Duals went off on time.

Have fun Sunday!

Leave a comment:

• kingelway7
    replied
    Well, it currently pouring here and has been for literally the last 12 straight hours. Tomorrows chance of rain has dropped though from 90% to 70%, and at race time tomorrow night its down to 20%. So, things are looking a tad bit better. The hour by hour forecast has the rain ending between 4-5pm tomorrow. If thats the case, and the skies continue to stay clear, they should have the track dry in time to start the Duals on time.

Fingers crossed.

Thankfully the forecast for Sunday is Sunshine w/ clear skies

Leave a comment:

• Peanut
    replied
    After 4 hours at the track last night only to have the race postponed, I have to say that it was well worth the wait.

Not so much because of the race but because of qualifying. Who ever had a ticket to The Clash was able to stay for qualifying.

Not only did Jr qualify on the front row, I was able to get in Victory Lane for the celebration!

A great way to start the race week.
    Awesome! Kind of like a reward for hanging in there.

As of right now, theres a 90% chance of rain tomorrow through out the day and drops to 30% tomorrow night.

Not the weather report I wanted to wake up to this morning. Thankfully the 90% is during the day and not in the evening. But unless the rain totally stops by 5:30pm tomorrow evening, theres no way the track gets dried fast enough to start the Duals on time tomorrow night.
    Hopefully, it won't rain. Have fun!

Hi, AZ!

Leave a comment:

• kingelway7
    replied
    As of right now, theres a 90% chance of rain tomorrow through out the day and drops to 30% tomorrow night.

Not the weather report I wanted to wake up to this morning. Thankfully the 90% is during the day and not in the evening. But unless the rain totally stops by 5:30pm tomorrow evening, theres no way the track gets dried fast enough to start the Duals on time tomorrow night.

Leave a comment:

• AZ Snake Fan
    replied

Good for you KE7 !
    Congrats to Chase and Jr !!
    Have fun in Daytona this week !!!

Leave a comment:

• kingelway7
    replied
    After 4 hours at the track last night only to have the race postponed, I have to say that it was well worth the wait.

Not so much because of the race but because of qualifying. Who ever had a ticket to The Clash was able to stay for qualifying.

Not only did Jr qualify on the front row, I was able to get in Victory Lane for the celebration!

A great way to start the race week.

Leave a comment:

• kingelway7
    replied
    I hoping it wont be as bad as its first sounding to me. I will say that I dont mind this change as much as the cautions/restarts at the end of the race. I really really hate the half way around the track thing. How often do they wreck between the restart and making it half way around? Almost never.

And when at a track like Bristol, Martinsville, or other 1 mile and under tracks, the leader makes it half way around in the blink of an eye. Then as soon as the leader crosses the half way point, theres a wreck somewhere in the middle of the pack involving cars that many times havent even made it half way themselves yet.

If theyre gonna keep this new half way thing, they should change it to where all cars on the track half to pass half way, not just the leader.

Leave a comment:

• Peanut
    replied
    While I dont love awarding points after a stage, its not to big a deal to me ultimately. What I dont like is stopping/cautioning the race. I have a feeling that when at a race, the cautioning of the race wont seem like a big deal. While when watching on TV, I have a feeling that its gonna seem like it takes forever for them to get back to racing.

I guess its a good thing that my first experience with the new stage format will be in person, not on TV.
    I'm not sure how I'll like the cautions for the stages. Last year, the Trucks has a 20 minute clock. I don't know if you watch the Truck series, but every 20 minutes, there would be a caution (if a real caution occurred, the clock would restart). I think the purpose was to take the fuel mileage race out. I wasn't thrilled with it, but it did add another element to the races. I really don't like fuel races, so it had that plus.

Like all changes, I'll get used to them and eventually accept them. What else can I do? Unless enough people complain, they won't change it back.

Leave a comment:

• kingelway7
    replied
    Just some info that, of everyone here, its only going to effect me, but Id thought Id share anyway...

It started last February, so it wasnt a big deal then, but now Daytona is full fledge into it - there is massive reconstruction of the exit on to and off of I-95 at the Speedway exit as well as at the I-95/I-4 interchange. It wasnt supposed to begin til 2020 but somehow Gov Rick Scott got it moved up 4 years!

Its not such a big issue with getting off exits as what it is getting back on the interstate, as you cant get back on I-95 from International Speedway Blvd (ISB; you either have to get on at the exit to the north of ISB or the exit to the south of ISB.

This is gonna to cause major traffic and frustration over the next 2 weeks.

Leave a comment:

• kingelway7
    replied
    While I dont love awarding points after a stage, its not to big a deal to me ultimately. What I dont like is stopping/cautioning the race. I have a feeling that when at a race, the cautioning of the race wont seem like a big deal. While when watching on TV, I have a feeling that its gonna seem like it takes forever for them to get back to racing.

I guess its a good thing that my first experience with the new stage format will be in person, not on TV.

Leave a comment:

• AZ Snake Fan
    replied

PA and Peanut said for us to wait before we hate !!!

Leave a comment:

• kingelway7
    replied
    Originally posted by AZ Snake Fan View Post
    More details on 2017 changes:

Race Format: Explaining the Stages
    Across NASCAR's three national series -- the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series, the NASCAR XFINITY Series and the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series -- all have competition enhancements that will be implemented in 2017. Races will consist of three stages -- Stage 1, Stage 2 and the Final Stage -- which will vary by track and race length. Stage 1 and Stage 2 will each comprise approximately 25-30 percent of an event's total length with the Final Stage making up the remainder and determining the race winner.

Race Format: Point Perks
    At the conclusion of Stage 1 and 2, drivers who are running in the top 10 will receive stage bonus points toward their current point total, starting with 10 points for first place, nine for second place and all the way down to one point for 10th place.

The final stage produces the race results with the winner receiving 40 points, second place receiving 35 points down to one point for the drivers that finish 36th through 40th. There are no longer bonus points for leading a lap or a bonus point for leading the most laps.

Race Format: Playoff Points
    Stage winners will receive a playoff point that a driver can carry into the playoffs (the final 10 races) should that driver qualify for the 16-driver field. Race winners receive five playoff points for each race win (up from three). Playoff points will carry over to every round except once the Championship 4 is set.

In the past, the bonus was applied at the outset of the playoffs only. In addition, there will be a regular-season champion , who will receive a bonus of 15 playoff points. Second place earns 10 playoff points, third place earns eight, all the way down to 10th place earning one playoff bonus point. Once the playoffs begin, a win is still the surest way to advance.

Immediate Points in Duels
    For the first time, points will be awarded based on drivers' performances in the Can-Am Duels at Daytona. The points will be awarded much like stage points will be awarded -- although there are no actual stages in this race -- a winner of a Duel gets 10 points, second place gets nine points and all the way down to 10th place earns one point. The twin races help set the full field lineup for the Daytona 500 -- although a race win here does not punch your ticket to the playoffs.

Participation Guidelines
    Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series drivers with more than five years of full-time experience are limited to 10 races in the NASCAR XFINITY Series and seven in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series. Those guidelines also prohibit those drivers from participating in the final eight events of the season for the XFINITY and Truck Series -- that stretch includes the regular-season finale and all playoff races. The guidelines do not apply to drivers with fewer than five years of full-time experience in the top series.

(I am 100% ok with this rule, don't like seeing Cup drivers interfering with the XFIN and Truck competition. Don't mind novices watching and learning moves but veteran Cup drivers should stay out of the young kids' way during final competition.)

Rules Package and Rules Updates
    NASCAR continues to further reduce downforce with the 2017 rules package. The downforce is expected to be around 1,500 pounds -- a reduction of about 500 pounds from 2016. The spoiler is also shorter. Most events (28 of the 36 points-paying races) will see a reduction in the number of tire sets in a race. Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series teams will also be required to start the race on the tires used in Coors Light Pole Qualifying.

Damaged Vehicle Policy

Teams (in all three series) will no longer be allowed to replace damaged body parts that are the result of accidents or contact. Repairs (such as removing damaged sheet metal) will be allowed, however teams are given five minutes to fix damage once they enter pit road. If the damage requires the car to go behind pit wall or to the garage for repairs, the car will not be allowed to return to the race. Should the repairs take longer than the five minutes allowed, the car will not be permitted to return to the race.

Dash 4 Cash
    The Dash 4 Cash returns in the NASCAR XFINITY Series for 2017 with some changes. The four eligible drivers (running for XFINITY Series championship points) will be the top finishers in Stage 1 and Stage 2. Should the Stage 2 winners be the same as Stage 1, then it's the third-and fourth-place finishers from Stage 2. Two D4C "wins" earns a playoff berth. The program will begin at Phoenix (which was not part of the four tracks to use D4C last year) before continuing at Bristol and Richmond and then finishing up at Dover.

Kids Drive NASCAR

Starting this season for all NASCAR XFINITY Series and NASCAR Camping World Truck Series races, kids ages 12 and younger will be admitted for free. Many race tracks have a host of offerings geared toward youth, such as youth autograph sessions, youth garage tours and designated kids' zones. The number of complementary tickets available for children 12 and younger will vary from venue to venue for every adult ticket purchased.
    [I]

~~~~~~~~~

• NASCAR set its regulations on tire allocation for all three series in 2017. In the Monster Energy Cup Series, the number of tire sets available to teams per event dropped for 28 of the 36 points-paying races.

Tracks with two or three fewer set of tires allowed next season: Homestead (three fewer sets), Daytona (500 only, two fewer sets), Phoenix (two fewer sets for both races), Martinsville (two fewer sets for both races), Bristol (two fewer sets for both races), Kansas (two fewer sets for both races), Auto Club (two fewer sets), Kentucky (two fewer sets) and Chicagoland (two fewer sets). Tracks with one fewer set of tires allowed next season: Michigan (both races), Atlanta, Las Vegas, Texas (both races), Dover (both races), Charlotte (both races), Indianapolis, Pocono (both races) and Richmond (both races).

• In 2017, Monster Energy Cup teams will be required to start the race on the tires they used in Coors Light Pole Qualifying. This change does not apply to the XFINITY or Camping World Truck Series.

• Drivers in all three series may use biometrics devices in their vehicles in 2017. The wrist-worn health tracking devices may not transmit data, may not connect to the vehicle in any way and must operate on an internal battery. Devices eligible for use are certain models made by Garmin, Misfit, Polar, Samsung, Tom Tom and Jawbone.

• The 2017 aerodynamic package for non-restrictor plate tracks in the Monster Energy Cup Series will feature a shortened rear spoiler, measuring 2.35 inches tall. The standard rear-spoiler height for premier series teams last season was 3.5 inches, with a 2.5-inch tall spoiler used at Kentucky and both Michigan races as auditions for this season.

• For superspeedway events at Daytona and Talladega, the restrictor plate opening will be smaller by 1/64 of an inch -- reduced from 57/64 to 7/8. The change affects only the Monster Energy Cup and XFINITY series for those two tracks.

• Additional safety guidelines were issued for restrictor-plate events for Monster Energy Cup and XFINITY teams. Among them, the previously optional roof hatch is now mandatory as an alternate escape route. Competition officials have also required the use of energy-absorbing materials to strengthen the area occupied by the drivers' feet in the cockpit.

• Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series teams will be required to carry a roof-mounted camera assembly at all times, whether in use by broadcast partner networks or not.
    What I Dont Like

The stages. Hate it. If they didnt throw a caution in between stages, and just awarded the points as the crossed the start/finish line at a set lap, I dont think Id mind it as much. In a place like here at Daytona or at Dega, theres already a million cautions, no need to add more. Plus theres already competition cautions when it rains the day before or the morning of a race day. So when theres a competition caution, will there also be a Stage 1 caution? Or will the competition caution be the caution to end Stage 1?

Points for the Duals. I didnt know about rewarding points for the Dual races until just now. Wow, I really hate that too. Thats just stupid. I dont care if the Duals are a "race"; they're used for qualifying. Are they gonna eventually start awarding points for each qualifying throughout the season???

Restrictor plates. I hate making them even smaller. I know its only 1/64th of an inch, but still. I hate it.

Tires Starting A Race. When you take into acct the cut in tire sets, I dont like that they're now having to start races with worn tires too.

What I Dont Mind

Fewer Tires. I dont mind them having fewer sets of tires. It adds a nice element of strategy to races; particularly to the end of races if lots of cautions start flying.

Limited Car Repairs. Itll probably result in more DNFs which will hurt drivers in the points even more when they wreck early, but at least itll keep cars off the track that basically get in the way - especially at the end of the race when drivers in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc are trying to catch up to the leader.

What I Like

Shorter Spoilers. The more slipping and sliding around, the better.

Race Limits: Im glad NASCAR is cracking down on top cup drivers being able to race as many XFINITY races as they please, and usually winning them too. (Looking at you Kyle Busch)

Kids Drive. IMO, despite the drop in attendance and viewership, NASCAR is the most fan friendly among the major sports when attending an event. Allowing kids 12 and under to go free to all XFINITY and Truck races builds even more upon that.

Leave a comment:

• Peanut
    replied
    Originally posted by AZ Snake Fan View Post

I'm ready for racing PA !!

If Nascar wants to boost it's ratings, they should go back to local broadcast networks instead of all these cable stations. Lots of folks have cut the cord and the cable companies are going down the tubes.

Yeah, we'll see how it all plays out soon enough.
    I'm just trying to get a grip on all the changes..

Yep PA, Daytona is almost here, let's "enjoy it all."

We still have cable and this is the main reason why. I want my sports without having to pay extra or rely on the weather. I'm not even sure if we're allowed a dish in our community.

I do agree that they need to go back to more mainstream networks, though. I know Jaws has not been able to watch many of the races.

PA, I'll be watching. It's still racing. I'll just have to remember all the rule changes. The announcers are usually good about reminding us.

Thinking more about the changes AZ posted above, I think the Damaged Vehicle Policy is going to have a bigger impact than almost any other rule. As AZ said, more DNFs.

I don't want to add to the empty seats at Dover, but again, we have to make a decision. I already told hubby that I am taking him to a Redskins game this year. The cost of two tickets is like 4-5 tickets on the front stretch at Dover. Broncos are worth it. Dover next year. Unless the Broncos are in town.

Leave a comment:

• AZ Snake Fan
    replied

I'm ready for racing PA !!

If Nascar wants to boost it's ratings, they should go back to local broadcast networks instead of all these cable stations. Lots of folks have cut the cord and the cable companies are going down the tubes.

Yeah, we'll see how it all plays out soon enough.
    I'm just trying to get a grip on all the changes..

Yep PA, Daytona is almost here, let's "enjoy it all."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X