Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BroncosFanInPA
    replied
    Lots of stuff there AZ, thx for the update & i agree with Peanut about letting this play out to see how it will be.

Look, i understand a lot of us are not sure & really just tired of the constant changes they make & would like to go back to what it used to be...well i think we can all agree that things will never be what they once were. for better or for worse things change, even the NFL has made small changes over time such as the 2 point attempt & more recent moving the extra point back.

I understand why nascar is trying new things, because attendance is probably at an all-time low & most likely interest in general for watching on tv as well, in fact many can't even watch some of the races these days with the different networks, but back to the changes...

these upcoming changes may be the biggest & boldest of the all & how will it affect things & how will we all like or dislike it? nobody can say as of yet but i will at the least give nascar credit for trying to to something to bring people back to the sport & perhaps bring in new fans.

time will tell how these changes will impact the sport but i say let's at least give it a few months before we pass judgement on if it is a bad thing or a good thing, with that being said...

let's get ready for some racing!! Daytona 500 is almost upon us, enjoy it all

Leave a comment:

• Peanut
    replied
    Thanks for the information, AZ.

I'm going to have to watch a few races before I'll be able to tell if I'll like the changes (or understand them). Sorry I can't answer any of your questions. I read a paragraph and I'm like "What?".

Three things stand out to me: Points in Duels -- It is a race, so I guess they should get points.

Participation Guidelines -- Even though the Cup drivers didn't get points toward the championship, them being out there did change things for the regulars. I think this is a good change.

And Damaged Vehicle Policy -- I agree. Lots of DNFs. Some of those teams worked really hard to get the car back out on the track to pick up spots and points and sometimes, it did make a difference. It does even out the top teams who have the people and equipment and the smaller teams that do not have the same resources. I don't think that's why they're doing it, though. Safety?

Leave a comment:

• AZ Snake Fan
    replied

More details on 2017 changes:

Race Format: Explaining the Stages
    Across NASCAR's three national series -- the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series, the NASCAR XFINITY Series and the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series -- all have competition enhancements that will be implemented in 2017. Races will consist of three stages -- Stage 1, Stage 2 and the Final Stage -- which will vary by track and race length. Stage 1 and Stage 2 will each comprise approximately 25-30 percent of an event's total length with the Final Stage making up the remainder and determining the race winner.

(This is going to put so much pressure on pit crews, make crew chiefs go berserk trying to plan a strategy for rubber and fuel windows.)

Race Format: Point Perks
    At the conclusion of Stage 1 and 2, drivers who are running in the top 10 will receive stage bonus points toward their current point total, starting with 10 points for first place, nine for second place and all the way down to one point for 10th place.

The final stage produces the race results with the winner receiving 40 points, second place receiving 35 points down to one point for the drivers that finish 36th through 40th. There are no longer bonus points for leading a lap or a bonus point for leading the most laps.

(so, theoretically, a driver can finish 1st or 2nd in the first two stages, come in second in the final stage and wind up with more points than the race winner ?)

Race Format: Playoff Points
    Stage winners will receive a playoff point that a driver can carry into the playoffs (the final 10 races) should that driver qualify for the 16-driver field. Race winners receive five playoff points for each race win (up from three). Playoff points will carry over to every round except once the Championship 4 is set.

In the past, the bonus was applied at the outset of the playoffs only. In addition, there will be a regular-season champion , who will receive a bonus of 15 playoff points. Second place earns 10 playoff points, third place earns eight, all the way down to 10th place earning one playoff bonus point. Once the playoffs begin, a win is still the surest way to advance.

(So, I guess these playoff points are combined with the stage leaders' and race winner's overall points ?)

Immediate Points in Duels
    For the first time, points will be awarded based on drivers' performances in the Can-Am Duels at Daytona. The points will be awarded much like stage points will be awarded -- although there are no actual stages in this race -- a winner of a Duel gets 10 points, second place gets nine points and all the way down to 10th place earns one point. The twin races help set the full field lineup for the Daytona 500 -- although a race win here does not punch your ticket to the playoffs.

Participation Guidelines
    Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series drivers with more than five years of full-time experience are limited to 10 races in the NASCAR XFINITY Series and seven in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series. Those guidelines also prohibit those drivers from participating in the final eight events of the season for the XFINITY and Truck Series -- that stretch includes the regular-season finale and all playoff races. The guidelines do not apply to drivers with fewer than five years of full-time experience in the top series.

(I am 100% ok with this rule, don't like seeing Cup drivers interfering with the XFIN and Truck competition. Don't mind novices watching and learning moves but veteran Cup drivers should stay out of the young kids' way during final competition.)

Rules Package and Rules Updates
    NASCAR continues to further reduce downforce with the 2017 rules package. The downforce is expected to be around 1,500 pounds -- a reduction of about 500 pounds from 2016. The spoiler is also shorter. Most events (28 of the 36 points-paying races) will see a reduction in the number of tire sets in a race. Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series teams will also be required to start the race on the tires used in Coors Light Pole Qualifying.

(Still using the 43/24/12 round qual format ? Lots of tire wear to start a race, no ?
    Bet TRD has that downforce package dialed in already !!!)

Damaged Vehicle Policy

Teams (in all three series) will no longer be allowed to replace damaged body parts that are the result of accidents or contact. Repairs (such as removing damaged sheet metal) will be allowed, however teams are given five minutes to fix damage once they enter pit road. If the damage requires the car to go behind pit wall or to the garage for repairs, the car will not be allowed to return to the race. Should the repairs take longer than the five minutes allowed, the car will not be permitted to return to the race.

(I predict lots of DNFs)

Dash 4 Cash
    The Dash 4 Cash returns in the NASCAR XFINITY Series for 2017 with some changes. The four eligible drivers (running for XFINITY Series championship points) will be the top finishers in Stage 1 and Stage 2. Should the Stage 2 winners be the same as Stage 1, then it's the third-and fourth-place finishers from Stage 2. Two D4C "wins" earns a playoff berth. The program will begin at Phoenix (which was not part of the four tracks to use D4C last year) before continuing at Bristol and Richmond and then finishing up at Dover.

Kids Drive NASCAR

Starting this season for all NASCAR XFINITY Series and NASCAR Camping World Truck Series races, kids ages 12 and younger will be admitted for free. Many race tracks have a host of offerings geared toward youth, such as youth autograph sessions, youth garage tours and designated kids' zones. The number of complementary tickets available for children 12 and younger will vary from venue to venue for every adult ticket purchased.

(Comments in parentheses mine)

More
    http://galleries.nascar.com/gallery/...ar-for-2017#/0

~~~~~~~~~

• NASCAR set its regulations on tire allocation for all three series in 2017. In the Monster Energy Cup Series, the number of tire sets available to teams per event dropped for 28 of the 36 points-paying races.

Tracks with two or three fewer set of tires allowed next season: Homestead (three fewer sets), Daytona (500 only, two fewer sets), Phoenix (two fewer sets for both races), Martinsville (two fewer sets for both races), Bristol (two fewer sets for both races), Kansas (two fewer sets for both races), Auto Club (two fewer sets), Kentucky (two fewer sets) and Chicagoland (two fewer sets). Tracks with one fewer set of tires allowed next season: Michigan (both races), Atlanta, Las Vegas, Texas (both races), Dover (both races), Charlotte (both races), Indianapolis, Pocono (both races) and Richmond (both races).

• In 2017, Monster Energy Cup teams will be required to start the race on the tires they used in Coors Light Pole Qualifying. This change does not apply to the XFINITY or Camping World Truck Series.

• Drivers in all three series may use biometrics devices in their vehicles in 2017. The wrist-worn health tracking devices may not transmit data, may not connect to the vehicle in any way and must operate on an internal battery. Devices eligible for use are certain models made by Garmin, Misfit, Polar, Samsung, Tom Tom and Jawbone.

• The 2017 aerodynamic package for non-restrictor plate tracks in the Monster Energy Cup Series will feature a shortened rear spoiler, measuring 2.35 inches tall. The standard rear-spoiler height for premier series teams last season was 3.5 inches, with a 2.5-inch tall spoiler used at Kentucky and both Michigan races as auditions for this season.

• For superspeedway events at Daytona and Talladega, the restrictor plate opening will be smaller by 1/64 of an inch -- reduced from 57/64 to 7/8. The change affects only the Monster Energy Cup and XFINITY series for those two tracks.

• Additional safety guidelines were issued for restrictor-plate events for Monster Energy Cup and XFINITY teams. Among them, the previously optional roof hatch is now mandatory as an alternate escape route. Competition officials have also required the use of energy-absorbing materials to strengthen the area occupied by the drivers' feet in the cockpit.

• Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series teams will be required to carry a roof-mounted camera assembly at all times, whether in use by broadcast partner networks or not.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-med...book-memo.html

Leave a comment:

• AZ Snake Fan
    replied

This year's Daytona 500 will consist of two 60-lap stages, followed by a final 80-lap stage to make up the 200 scheduled laps in the annual season-opening race for the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series.

NASCAR officials announced last month that all points-paying races in its three national series -- Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series, XFINITY Series and Camping World Truck Series -- would consist of three stages and that the format change would include the awarding of points to the top 10 drivers after the first two stages.

Points will be awarded in much the same fashion as previous years upon the completion of the third and final stage.

Upon the completion of each of the first two stages, drivers finishing first through 10th will be awarded additional points (10th for first, nine for second, etc.) that will be included in their final total for that race only.

Additionally, one point per stage win will be awarded to those drivers qualifying for the 10-race playoff at the end of the season. Race-winning drivers also will earn five bonus points per win to be applied following the completion of the regular season.

Stage lengths for the season-opening NextEra Energy Resources 250 Truck Series race and Powershares QQQ 300 XFINITY Series race have also been announced.

The first and second stages of the Camping World Truck Series race will be 20 laps each, with a 60-lap final stage to round out the 100-lap event (not including any additional laps should the race go into overtime).

Stages 1 and 2 of the XFINITY Series race have been set at 30 laps, while the final stage will be 60 laps (also not including any additional laps should the race go into overtime).

Stage lengths for most races beyond the Daytona 500 have yet to be announced.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-med...al-series.html

:brick:

Leave a comment:

• AZ Snake Fan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• kingelway7
    replied
    20 Days to go til the 500!!!

The anticipation is starting to set in for me. Cant wait til The Clash on the 18th, Duals on the 23rd, and 500 on the 26th!!!

What sucks is that after a long day at the track for the 500 on the 26th, I have Federal Jury Duty the very next morning at 7:30am, an hour plus away in Orlando

Leave a comment:

• baphamet
    replied
    Originally posted by AZ Snake Fan View Post

I guess it's because they want to promote LT's and Jordan Sparks' new movie.
    I'm ok if he gets in the HOF if all 3 of our Broncos get in too.
    If you tune in to watch LT start the race, why not watch the whole thing, you may enjoy it.
    You can follow NASCAR all the way to the next NFL season.
    It helps waiting and time goes by FAST !!!

that's why i have MMA, the drama never ends

but i'm just not into cars and racing that much, i do see the appeal though.

Leave a comment:

• Peanut
    replied
    Originally posted by baphamet View Post
    don't lie, i bet you had the ban hammer locked and loaded when you saw my name in here

You can see what I'm doing?

AZ is right, though. Check out the race. You might like it.

Leave a comment:

• baphamet
    replied
    Originally posted by Peanut View Post
    I saw your name in the NASCAR thread and thought, What's he doing in here.
    don't lie, i bet you had the ban hammer locked and loaded when you saw my name in here

Leave a comment:

• AZ Snake Fan
    replied

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-med...y-starter.html

not a NASCAR fan but seen this and it seems kind of random to me lol

i guess because he is going to the HOF this year possibly?
    I guess it's because they want to promote LT's and Jordan Sparks' new movie.
    I'm ok if he gets in the HOF if all 3 of our Broncos get in too.
    If you tune in to watch LT start the race, why not watch the whole thing, you may enjoy it.
    You can follow NASCAR all the way to the next NFL season.
    It helps waiting and time goes by FAST !!!

Leave a comment:

• Peanut
    replied

I saw your name in the NASCAR thread and thought, What's he doing in here.

About Tomlinson. I guess they couldn't find anyone else.

Okay. Okay. I'm putting myself in the corner. This isn't Smack and mine is weak because I don't smack.

Nice write up. Good work with the DAV. Should be an interesting movie. I like Sparks.

I like your sig and avy. I'm glad you're sticking with your team.

Leave a comment:

• baphamet
    replied

Leave a comment:

• roushmartin6
    replied
    The pits are so far away from the stands, makes no sense to be that far away

Leave a comment:

• Peanut
    replied
    Originally posted by AZ Snake Fan View Post

Good day yesterday for Jeff, Max and the Taylor brothers !
    And Mr.Taylor too !!
    Congratulations !!!
    http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-med...-speedway.html

Congrats to Jeff, Max and the Taylors!

Originally posted by kingelway7 View Post
    Phoenix International Raceway is getting a make over, and I like it. The start/finish line is being moved from the straight away to just before the dogleg, and pit road is being moved from only on the straight away to partly on the straight away and stretching around to what is now turn 3 & 4 (old turn 1 & 2). This will create some interesting strategy and racing coming to the checkered flag. Addition grandstands will be added too as well as some removed.

There's going to be some interesting finishes with the start/finish line coming off a turn like that.

Leave a comment:

• kingelway7
    replied
    Phoenix International Raceway is getting a make over, and I like it. The start/finish line is being moved from the straight away to just before the dogleg, and pit road is being moved from only on the straight away to partly on the straight away and stretching around to what is now turn 3 & 4 (old turn 1 & 2). This will create some interesting strategy and racing coming to the checkered flag. Addition grandstands will be added too as well as some removed.

Last edited by kingelway7; 01-30-2017, 11:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X