No announcement yet.

NASCAR Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hope the 6 points don't come back and bite them.

My question is why didn't they catch it before qualifying? Like when they inspected the rear windshield after it was replaced?

#14 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Team Penalized For Infractions at Daytona: NASCAR has issued a penalty as a result of rules infractions committed during last weekend's events at Daytona International Speedway. The #14 team in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series was found to be in violation of Sections 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing); 12-4J (any determination by NASCAR officials that the race equipment used in the event does not conform to NASCAR rules detailed in Section 20 of the NASCAR Rule Book); and 20-2.1J (unapproved open vent hose inside of the car). The violation occurred during post-qualifying inspection July 6. As a result, crew chief Steve Addington has been fined $25,000 and placed on NASCAR probation until Aug. 22. Car chief Jeff Meendering has been placed on NASCAR probation until Aug. 22. Driver Tony Stewart and owner Margaret Haas have been penalized with the loss of six championship driver and six championship owner points, respectively.(NASCAR Integrated Marketing Communications)
    STATEMENT The following is a statement from Greg Zipadelli, competition director at Stewart-Haas Racing, regarding today's penalty levied by NASCAR against the team's #14 Sprint Cup Series entry driven by Tony Stewart for a post-qualifying rules infraction July 6 at Daytona International Speedway: "While we respect and accept NASCAR's decision, we want to be clear that there was no malicious intent. In a rush to replace a cracked rear windshield that happened during tech inspection prior to qualifying, we jostled a cooling hose that was behind the seat. We understand NASCAR's position and will abide by its decision."(7-10-2012)
    Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• Originally posted by Peanut View Post
      I hope the 6 points don't come back and bite them.

My question is why didn't they catch it before qualifying? Like when they inspected the rear windshield after it was replaced?

STATEMENT The following is a statement from Greg Zipadelli, competition director at Stewart-Haas Racing, regarding today's penalty levied by NASCAR against the team's #14 Sprint Cup Series entry driven by Tony Stewart for a post-qualifying rules infraction July 6 at Daytona International Speedway: "While we respect and accept NASCAR's decision, we want to be clear that there was no malicious intent. In a rush to replace a cracked rear windshield that happened during tech inspection prior to qualifying, we jostled a cooling hose that was behind the seat. We understand NASCAR's position and will abide by its decision."(7-10-2012)
      A couple things here, first thing is the points won't affect them the least bit because of the 3 wins, so he is basicly locked into the chase already unless something absolutely catastrophic happened for like the next 8 races & even then he would have to fall outside the top 20, highly unlikely.

Secondly i think the points penalty is a bunch of crap because 1. it wasn't intentional & 2. they hit them once by disallowing the qualifying time & sending them to the rear for the start of the race.

My understanding of what happened based on what tony said, is that the hose fell off during his qualifying lap so perhaps that is why they didn't catch it during pre-qualifying inspection but that's just my speculation.

Nascar is so ridiculous with how the handle certain things different for certain people, like how Hendrick got johnsons penalty & suspenions tossed out totally somehow when they did intentionaly do something with that car back for the 500.
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncosFanInPA View Post
        A couple things here, first thing is the points won't affect them the least bit because of the 3 wins, so he is basicly locked into the chase already unless something absolutely catastrophic happened for like the next 8 races & even then he would have to fall outside the top 20, highly unlikely.

Secondly i think the points penalty is a bunch of crap because 1. it wasn't intentional & 2. they hit them once by disallowing the qualifying time & sending them to the rear for the start of the race.

My understanding of what happened based on what tony said, is that the hose fell off during his qualifying lap so perhaps that is why they didn't catch it during pre-qualifying inspection but that's just my speculation.

Nascar is so ridiculous with how the handle certain things different for certain people, like how Hendrick got johnsons penalty & suspenions tossed out totally somehow when they did intentionaly do something with that car back for the 500.
        You make some good points.

I've seen lots of penalties handed out for unintentional stuff. I guess it's one of those "Rules are rules" kind of thing. But, as you said, they already penalized him once. It does seem unfair to add to that.

That's one of the things that's always bothered me, the inconsistency of NASCAR's rulings. Robby Gordon has had some calls against him that I thought were unfair. They penalize Kyle Busch for putting Hornaday into the wall, but say and do nothing when Patrick does the same to Hornish. Shouldn't matter what kind of rep they have or don't have. The intent was the same. The outcome was the same (wrecked car). It gets frustrating because I tend to pull for the underdogs/small teams. Those are the ones that gets some iffy calls.

Oh, and yay Kyle!
        Last edited by Peanut; 07-14-2012, 12:27 PM.
        Administrator

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• Smith's #78 Chevy Pays Tribute to Victims of Aurora Tragedy: Regan Smith's #78 Furniture Row Chevy will pay tribute to the victims of the Aurora, Colo. tragedy during this weekend's NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The movie theater where the shooting took place is approximately seven miles from the Furniture Row Racing shop in Denver. The paint scheme on Smith's car for Sunday's Brickyard 400 will include the following:
          The hood of the car will showcase a ribbon, and inside the ribbon will be a memorial cross and the red and gold logo that appears on the Colorado state flag
          The rear quarter panels will read Aurora, CO and the names of the 12 people who were killed in the tragedy
          The rear bumper (TV panel) will include the following inscription:

For Those Lost, Those Injured And Countless Acts of Bravery 7/20/12

The tragedy struck close to the Furniture Row family. Kimber Avra, an employee of the Furniture Row Companies, was at the Aurora movie theater with her friend Micayla Medek. Avra suffered scrapes and bruises, but sadly, Micayla was one of the 12 who was killed in the shooting. "Our hearts go out to the victims and to their families," said Furniture Row Racing general manager Joe Garone. "It really hits close to home for us here in Colorado. The movie theater where the shooting took place is only a few miles from where our team is based in Denver. We mourn the loss of life from this senseless tragedy, and feel we also need to stand up and acknowledge the heroism of those people who put their lives on the line to save others. Our thoughts this weekend will be with all the people who suffered from this horrific act of violence."(Furniture Row Racing), see images of the scheme on the #78 Team Schemes page.(7-27-2012)

I'll try to find a picture of the car later.
          Administrator

Lupus Awareness

Comment

• No more top 35? Go back to the fastest cars get in the race?

I think I like it.

NASCAR looking at changes to qualifying? UPDATE: NASCAR is kicking around the idea of qualifying the top 38 drivers on time and cutting the number of provisionals down to four plus one for former champions. With sponsors at a premium right now, it could be catastrophic to eliminate provisionals altogether, particularly when a driver missing a race could result in a benefactor pulling its support from the team.(Fox Sports)(7-24-2012)
            UPDATE: NASCAR's rule guaranteeing the top 35 teams in the Sprint Cup series a spot in each race may be going away in 2013. Vice president of competition Robin Pemberton said on Thursday that NASCAR is talking to teams about doing away with guaranteed starting spots in the Cup, Nationwide and Truck Series with the hope of putting more emphasis on qualifying. "People want to see it go back to where speed gets you in,'' Pemberton said from the infield at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Pemberton did not discuss specifics of the new qualifying rules, but sources close to the situation told ESPN.com one plan is to have the top 38 cars get in on speed with one past champions provisional and four provisionals for the top four drivers in points that didn't make it on speed. Under the current system in Cup, the top 35 teams are guaranteed a spot in the field regardless of whether they run a qualifying lap or not. That number is 30 for Nationwide and 25 for Trucks. The system was put in place in 2005 to assure full-time teams with big-name drivers and big sponsors did not miss the race. If the top-35 rule is eliminated, cars inside the top 35 at the end of 2012 won't be guaranteed a spot in the first five races of 2013 as has been the case in the past. Pemberton said that won't totally eliminate owners purchasing numbers for the Daytona 500, where points are used from the previous season, but the need won't be as great.(ESPN)
            Administrator

Lupus Awareness

Comment

• sigpic

Comment

• Thank you Peanut and BroncosFanInPA for the story and pics of the #78 Furniture Row team honoring the fallen in the Aurora tragedy...... CP's to you both!!
                sigpic
                2014 Adopted Bronco: Juwan Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by FLBroncFan View Post
                  Thank you Peanut and BroncosFanInPA for the story and pics of the #78 Furniture Row team honoring the fallen in the Aurora tragedy...... CP's to you both!!
                  No problem, but Peanut should get the credit because i saw her post & just decided to post the pics for her. I just hope that the ESPN pre race as well as during the race gives it alot of attention.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by FLBroncFan View Post
                    Thank you Peanut and BroncosFanInPA for the story and pics of the #78 Furniture Row team honoring the fallen in the Aurora tragedy...... CP's to you both!!
                    Thanks, FBF.

Racing isn't supposed to get emotional, right?

Originally posted by BroncosFanInPA View Post
                    No problem, but Peanut should get the credit because i saw her post & just decided to post the pics for her. I just hope that the ESPN pre race as well as during the race gives it alot of attention.
                    Thanks for posting the pictures, PA (Teamwork ).

We weren't home for the start of the race, but they did mention and show the car. The guys seem good about mentioning stories like this.
                    Administrator

Lupus Awareness

Comment

• Well yet another of a race. That's about all i can say, what lame season thus far.
                      sigpic

Comment

Well yet another of a race. That's about all i can say, what lame season thus far.
                        One thing I've noticed with the races lately.

Empty seats.

Dover holds 140,000, maybe a little less since they put up the second bridge thing (obstructed the view of some seats so they closed off sections). The last couple of years, they've sold like 80,000 tickets.

I know the economy has a lot to do with that. I'm wondering if interest/popularity is waning?
                        Administrator

Lupus Awareness

Comment

• Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                          One thing I've noticed with the races lately.

Empty seats.

Dover holds 140,000, maybe a little less since they put up the second bridge thing (obstructed the view of some seats so they closed off sections). The last couple of years, they've sold like 80,000 tickets.

I know the economy has a lot to do with that. I'm wondering if interest/popularity is waning?
                          Yes the attendance has been steadily going down in the past 3 or 4 years but i actually think last year was worse than it is this year.

I do believe it's a combination of alot of people just can't afford to go anymore (we used to go once a year but haven't gone for like the past 3 years) & as you said interest is declining & i think alot of that has to do with the product being put out there.

I'm not gonna say that i want to see wrecks because that's not what it's about but i would like to see some actual racing, like some more side by side instead of... ok he's faster i'll let him go by & also would it hurt to have a bit of beating & banging? what happened to the old saying rubbing is racing?

I think drivers need to be more aggresive & not so laid back & easy going for 80% of the race. I think one issue that could help things is the tires, they don't wear out enough & makes passing difficult because everyone is too even which leads to alot of two tire stops to try to get up front.
                          sigpic

Comment

• I am glad my boy Jimmie Johson won his forth Brickyard.
                            Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
                            sigpic

Comment

Yes the attendance has been steadily going down in the past 3 or 4 years but i actually think last year was worse than it is this year.

I do believe it's a combination of alot of people just can't afford to go anymore (we used to go once a year but haven't gone for like the past 3 years) & as you said interest is declining & i think alot of that has to do with the product being put out there.

I'm not gonna say that i want to see wrecks because that's not what it's about but i would like to see some actual racing, like some more side by side instead of... ok he's faster i'll let him go by & also would it hurt to have a bit of beating & banging? what happened to the old saying rubbing is racing?

I think drivers need to be more aggresive & not so laid back & easy going for 80% of the race. I think one issue that could help things is the tires, they don't wear out enough & makes passing difficult because everyone is too even which leads to alot of two tire stops to try to get up front.
                              We used to go twice a year to Dover (Truck race in June and Cup race in September) and occasionally Pocono or Richmond. We're now down to the Truck race in Dover (we meet up with a couple of ladies from NY). Some of it is financial. I'd rather go see the Broncos when they come to town.

One of the things I really dislike hearing: "It's hard to pass at this track". What good is it, then? Put a little banking in the corners. Make it wider.

I don't like the bump and run. I guess it's the open-wheeler fan in me.

Originally posted by Southstander View Post
                              I am glad my boy Jimmie Johson won his forth Brickyard.
                              Yay, Jimmie!
                              Administrator

Lupus Awareness

Comment

• I haven't gone to a race since 2009 Chicagoland (Where Mark stomped them). Nascar has screwed themselves as far as i'm concerned. The new car acts nothing like the trucks do, which has better racing. Then the gear rule makes it so everyone runs the same speed. You can't pass because everyone runs just about the same speed with the gear rule, the cars handle like crap in traffic, and its hard to wreck them (think of Biffle sliding through an entire turn at Darlington). Basically its the same drivers winning all the races now. I really wanted this years Daytona to get rained out so Blaney could win, that would have been amazing. Throw in the crap economy and gas prices and you have people not wanting to go. We went to Bristol in 2005. We live in Iowa and pulled a decent sized camper through the mountains. There is no way we could do that now, it would cost thousands in gas alone. Thought I would just chime in, since there is a rain delay at Pocono. Thats another thing, you put all that money into track improvements and no lights? Every track should have to have lights so people who go can see the whole race (even though you should plan to be off through Tuesday incase of a rain delay). End of rant.
                                sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

Working...
                                X