MMA Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tom155 View Post
    how do you figure that as someone else already stated he got dominated by George Sotiropolus not long ago
    Lauzon definitely came out flat against G-sot and got submitted I was disappointed in that.

Takanori Gomi was another guy who people thought was going to own the LW Div totally disappointed everyone when he got beat by the caveman Guida.

Id have to say Guida will probably fight the winner of G-sot Vs Siver and that winner will fight the winner of Pettis/Maynard lol and now there talking about giving an instant rematch to Maynard the LW division is exciting but currently there's a logjam.
    Now go get your shine box

Comment

• OMG!!!!! This is the coolest thing I've seen in a long while if it actually falls through!!! I am so excited for this it is UNBELEIVABLE!!

STRIKEFORCE 8 MAN-HEAVYWEIGHT GRAND PRIX!!!!

P.S.- GO OVEREEM!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by InMcDWeTrust View Post
        OMG!!!!! This is the coolest thing I've seen in a long while if it actually falls through!!! I am so excited for this it is UNBELEIVABLE!!

STRIKEFORCE 8 MAN-HEAVYWEIGHT GRAND PRIX!!!!

P.S.- GO OVEREEM!!!!!
        I heard about this but doesn't make sense why are Werdum and Overeem fighting in a title fight to move on in the tournament ?

the tournament winner should fight Overeem.

Overratedreem

seriously this guy goes around fighting cans and gets all the praise.

Plus if anybody saw the Duffee fight that fight looked fixed..

Comment

• Originally posted by jc13 View Post
          I heard about this but doesn't make sense why are Werdum and Overeem fighting in a title fight to move on in the tournament ?

the tournament winner should fight Overeem.

Overratedreem

seriously this guy goes around fighting cans and gets all the praise.

Plus if anybody saw the Duffee fight that fight looked fixed..
          Ok... I am as big an Overeem fan as ANYONE, but I will admit he is untested. Duffee is not a can at all though. And I watched the entire Dynamite Event Live (yes, I was up until 9am Pacific time ) and if you think that fight was fixed then I question you're judgement bro... What was fixed about it? Overeem hit him with a knee (Alistair is famous for his knees) and it hurt Duffee's midsection. He then hit him with a right hook to the temple, which buckled his knees, then a strong left hook RIGHT ON THE BUTTON. You don't take those kinds of shots from a K1 Grand Prix champ that looks like Overeem does and not go to sleep man....

EDIT: Also about the whole "tournament setup" you mentioned. It is kind of weird that the top 4 fighters are all on the same side of the bracket, and it might have made more sense if Reem waited to fight the winner of the bracket but I like it better this way. The winner of this tournament will be the top heavyweight outside the UFC without a doubt. There will be no more "untested" arguments at all..
          Last edited by InElwayWeTrust; 01-04-2011, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• That bracket is horrible... Fedor, Werdum, and Overeem on the same side? Stupid.
            Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

• Originally posted by GridironChamp View Post
              That bracket is horrible... Fedor, Werdum, and Overeem on the same side? Stupid.
              Like I said, the bracket looks weird when you look at it, but you can't say the fights won't be AWESOME!!! I want to see every single one of these matchups, and the possible semi-final/ final matchups should be awesome as well. It isn't seeded correctly, but I could care less, this thing will be awesome if it actually happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by InMcDWeTrust View Post
                Ok... I am as big an Overeem fan as ANYONE, but I will admit he is untested. Duffee is not a can at all though. And I watched the entire Dynamite Event Live (yes, I was up until 9am Pacific time ) and if you think that fight was fixed then I question you're judgement bro... What was fixed about it? Overeem hit him with a knee (Alistair is famous for his knees) and it hurt Duffee's midsection. He then hit him with a right hook to the temple, which buckled his knees, then a strong left hook RIGHT ON THE BUTTON. You don't take those kinds of shots from a K1 Grand Prix champ that looks like Overeem does and not go to sleep man....

EDIT: Also about the whole "tournament setup" you mentioned. It is kind of weird that the top 4 fighters are all on the same side of the bracket, and it might have made more sense if Reem waited to fight the winner of the bracket but I like it better this way. The winner of this tournament will be the top heavyweight outside the UFC without a doubt. There will be no more "untested" arguments at all..
                well yea I was kind of exaggerating about it being fixed but I do have to say that DREAM and even back in the PRIDE days there was a lot of shady stuff they did.

They waited 10 days before the event to find Overeem an opponent and out of everyone they chose Duffee?

I mean Overeem is a big strong horse eating SOB whose a pretty good fighter but IMO only fights cans and refuses to fight good opponents.
                Hes a good striker and I think he would run through a lot of the UFC heavyweights.

But I'm not convinced that hes top 10 with his can collection.

But yea Overeem will probably win the tournament just based on brute strength and striking hes one of those freaks that KO's you with one punch.

but IMO Fedor all the way.

Even though I question Fedor now days also.

If I would of ranted about Overeem on Sherdog I would have been banned.

Comment

That bracket is horrible... Fedor, Werdum, and Overeem on the same side? Stupid.

their trying to set up the match up they want and that's Overeem/Fedor

It will probably be Barnett vs Overeem in the final.

Hopefully its Fedor / Barnett Ive been waiting to see that one.

So is it going to be a one night tournament ?

or are they going to wait till 2012 to finish it because that's the way Strikeforce seems to work.

Comment

• fedor is wipe the floor with all of them
                    sigpic

Comment

• I'm gonna go ahead and do a quick prediction of this tourney right now.. I should point out that I predicted this would happen in this thread a long time ago. Hopefully I'm right with these predictions also, haha.

ROUND 1: QUARTER-FINALS

ANDREI ARLOVSKI VS SERGEI KHARITONOV
                      Both fighters have very good technical standup, but Arlovski has been fading very quickly since the knockout loss to Fedor, subsequently losing to Brett Rogers and Antonio Silva. I think Kharitonov will find Arlovski's glass chin at some point and end it via Knockout.

BRETT ROGERS VS JOSH BARNETT

Josh Barnett will still have to get cleared to participate in this fight, after numerous drug test failures. Hopefully he is finally off the roids, as this should be an entertaining fight. I think Rodgers will surprise Barnett early, as Barnett's competition lately hasn't been very good. But Josh will get the fight to the ground at some point, where he is the superior grappler, and he will end up submitting Rogers late in the fight.

FEDOR EMELIANENKO VS ANTONIO SILVA
                      Fedor is coming off of his first "true" loss, if you want to call it that, and he wants to prove he is the best, so expect him to come out swinging. Silva has been working on his striking lately, and has had a great comeback win vs Mike Kyle. I think Fedor is just too quick for Bigfoot though, and will land the overhand right sooner rather than later. I'll take Fedor by first round TKO.

ALISTAIR OVEREEM VS FABRICIO WERDUM
                      This fight probably shouldn't be in the first round, but it is the matchup everyone has been wanting, so I'll take it any way I can get it. Werdum won the first matchup, way back in May 2006, but Overeem is a completely different fighter now, and won't let this fight go to the ground. The K-1 Kickboxing Champ will win the standup fairly easy if he can keep it standing. Overeem by Knockout in Round 2.

ROUND 2: SEMI-FINALS

SERGEI KHARITONOV VS JOSH BARNETT
                      This fight will definitely be overshadowed by the fight on the other side of the bracket, but it is a great matchup none-the-less. It will come down to one simple thing- Can Sergei keep it standing. If he can, he should dominate Barnett, but if he can't, he will have a hard time surviving on the mat. My guess is Barnett will get it to the ground, and win via Ground and Pound.

ALISTAIR OVEREEM VS FEDOR EMELIANENKO
                      Probably the biggest fight in the heavyweight division in a LONG time, and it should be awesome!!! I think this one could showcase every aspect of MMA. Overeem has better standup technically, but Fedor has one shot knockout power. On the ground both fighters are skilled as well, but I think that will cancel eachother out and there won't be any submissions. I think the fight will be decided in the clinch, where Alistair has a huge advantage. Overeem is much bigger and stronger than Fedor, and has great knees from in the clinch, I say he catches The Last Emperor with a knee, and overwhelms him with Ground and Pound until the ref stops it via TKO.

CHAMPIONSHIP

ALISTAIR OVEREEM VS JOSH BARNETT
                      Because of the way Strikeforce set up the bracket, this fight will probably be less anticipated than the Semi's but oh well. I think that Overeem will handle Barnett standing, but Barnett will get some takedowns, and land his fair share of ground and pound. Until Overeem lands a big shot, and Barnett shoots for a takedown desperately, and that is when Overeem ends it with a guillotine choke.

ALISTAIR OVEREEEM WINS THE STRIKEFORCE HEAVYWEIGHT GRAND PRIX

Then hopefully he goes to the UFC and dominates there also!

Obviously I am a little biased, but that is how I see it going down, but I wouldn't be surprised if Fedor or Werdum won the whole thing either. How do you guys see it going down??

Comment

• Originally posted by baphamet View Post
                        the best part about it is the audio, it sounds about as bad as the ganzaga/ crocop KO, maybe worse.
                        Nothing was worse than that...especially being a Cro Cop fan, disastrous.
                        sigpic

Comment

• I think Overeem would take it as well, and probably against Barnett.

And to whoever is saying Overeem fights cans, his competition has been the exact
                          same as Fedor's over the past few years (all cans minus Rodgers and now Fedor
                          recently lost to Werdum). Oh, and an Overeem-Fedor fight was turned down by
                          M-1 Global last year.
                          Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

I think Overeem would take it as well, and probably against Barnett.

And to whoever is saying Overeem fights cans, his competition has been the exact
                            same as Fedor's over the past few years (all cans minus Rodgers and now Fedor
                            recently lost to Werdum). Oh, and an Overeem-Fedor fight was turned down by
                            M-1 Global last year.
                            Fedor has been fighting cans

with the exception of Werdum who himself who was a UFC reject.

I feel bad calling these guys cans BUT when you got guys like talented guys like Fedor and Werdum who are so talented going around and fighting Hong Man Choi and Todd Duffee? Theres some issues there.

Comment

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-fpJ...layer_embedded

good stuff
                              sigpic

Comment

• Well ladies and gentlemen

Brock Lesnar is back.

And in a big way.

Hes going to coach on The Ultimate Fighter 13 against Junior dos Santos.

Yea and the winner fights Cain Velasquez..

This is going to be interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X