MMA Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jcdavey View Post
    it doesn't matter how the fighter looks at the end of the fight, edgar was messed up but actually in better shape stamina wise than henderson

edgar as a champion, did nothing to lose the title, and had nothing done to him to lose the title

that's just fact

you have to tko, ko , submit, or thoroughly dominate a champ to get the title, or it's bull****

henderson excelled at getting his leg caught , that's it
    Where did you find this rule that you must win by finish or domination?? Can I get a link? If Henderson won the fight, he won the fight.

And all those leg kicks that got caught did about 100 times more damage before Frankie caught them than Frankie did to Ben when he had ahold of his leg. If someone kicks the crap out of your leg and you grab their leg, then proceed to do absolutely NOTHING with it, you don't win that exchange. The point of the fight is to damage your opponent, and Frankie did absolutely NONE of that tonight.
    Ben on the other hand:
    - landed way more power shots (swelling Frankie's left eye completely shut)
    - kicked the living crap out of Edgar the entire fight. (it doesn't matter if he catches it after the damage is done unless he does something with it.)
    - landed one of the most brutal up kicks ive ever seen, shattering and bloodying Edgar's nose.
    - almost sunk in a guillotine choke.

Each one of those by themselves is more damage than Edgar did all combined. That fight wasn't even close and I can believe I even have to defend the decision.
    Last edited by InElwayWeTrust; 02-26-2012, 12:27 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by InElwayWeTrust View Post
      Where did you find this rule that you must win by finish or domination?? Can I get a link? If Henderson won the fight, he won the fight.

And all those leg kicks that got caught did about 100 times more damage before Frankie caught them than Frankie did to Ben when he had ahold of his leg. If someone kicks the crap out of your leg and you grab their leg, then proceed to do absolutely NOTHING with it, you don't win that exchange. The point of the fight is to damage your opponent, and Frankie did absolutely NONE of that tonight.
      Ben on the other hand:
      - landed way more power shots (swelling Frankie's left eye completely shut)
      - kicked the living crap out of Edgar the entire fight. (it doesn't matter if he catches it after the damage is done unless he does something with it.)
      - landed one of the most brutal up kicks ive ever seen, shattering and bloodying Edgar's nose.
      - almost sunk in a guillotine choke.

Each one of those by themselves is more damage than Edgar did all combined. That fight wasn't even close and I can believe I even have to defend the decision.
      almosts now ....lol

kicking edgar's hand all night is more like it, as edgar kept catching it lol
      sigpic

Comment

• I really think you need to 'beat' the champ to take the crown not just win a point battle. Frankie was landing was landing shots in volume. I havnt looked at the metrics but he seemed to be hitting more per se. I don't think it was a 'clear' victory for henderson which I think you need when you are winning a belt. Should be an immediate rematch in my books.

decision win for a belt is such garbage.

Comment

• http://espn.go.com/mma/reportcard

Pretty cool article by Josh Gross on the scoring system / 10 point must re the edgar / henderson.

little excerpt below

I must say, thanks, Twitter, for the inspiration. After a spirited discussion Sunday afternoon about scoring systems in MMA, I decided to view Benson Henderson's UFC title-winning effort over Frankie Edgar two ways.

First, the good ol' 10-point must system, mandated by athletic commissions across the United States. Then, the half-point system that is being experimented with in some locales, including California.

[+] Enlarge
          Susumu Nagao for ESPN.com
          Under a half-point scoring system, Josh Gross would have awarded Benson Henderson the title.
          Guess what happened?

On fight night and upon a second viewing, I had it 48-47 for Edgar scoring the traditional way, giving him the first, third and fifth rounds. But when I applied the half-point system, which allows for a finer scoring gradient (not all 10-9s are equal, same with 10-8s and so on), Henderson came out on top in a squeaker.

I was always in the group that said 10-point must was fine, you just needed judges who knew what they were looking at. But that's not the case anymore. The current system isn't nimble enough for MMA, and I think you'll see why below.

Comment

• Didn't even know there was a fight last night.

But UFC had it's first flyweight match, which I'm happy about because it's pretty much my weight class. I'm between 125 and 130, I say between because my body is weight, it'd gain weight bringing to 135 or 140, then in a week drop back down to 130.

Pretty much if I wanted to be a UFC fighter, I could either be in the Bantamweight or Flyweight, I'd prefer Flyweight because of height.

I was actually training do start doing MMA, but I promise my mom(whom doesn't support the idea) that I wont do it. I still train, but no longer part of a camp.

Anyways this post isn't about me, but the issue that happened during the fight.

In the first ever UFC 125-lb. match, an error by the athletic commission in Australia screwed up the result. Ian McCall and Demetrious Johnson's bout should have been scored as a draw, and their fight should have gone to a fourth, sudden-death round.
            After the fight, MMA Junkie's John Morgan reported that the score announced was not the score written on the judges cards he received. During the post-fight press conference, UFC president Dana White reported that the fight was actually scored as a majority draw. By the rules of the flyweight tournament, it should have gone to a fourth and decisive round, but the error was discovered too late.
            "Controversy has stuck to us like glue. Human error happens. Johnson-McCall was a draw. Fight was supposed to go to a fourth round. The commission has taken responsibility," White said.
            The two will rematch to decide who will take on Joseph Benavidez, the other flyweight tournament winner at UFC on FX 2 on Friday night. For McCall, it's another chance to give the fans a show.
            "We get to fight again. I feel vindicated," McCall said.
            Johnson was looking forward to fight Benavidez for the promotion's first flyweight title, but now the process will take longer.
            "I thought I had the victory, and it sucks because it prolongs stuff," Johnson said.
            One consolation for Johnson and McCall is that they won the $50,000 Fight of the Night bonus, and they both received their win bonuses. They will now have to schedule another fight to see when they can get a step closer to the championship belt
            http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-ca...wC9i3XwyA5nYcB
            sigpic
            Adopted Broncos:
            EmmanuelSanders

Comment

• Anyone catch the Miesha Tate vs Ronda Rousey fight last night? Probably the best display of grappling I've ever seen in women's MMA.

And it's good to see a women's mma match where there isn't a non roided up she man destroying everyone in her path.

Ronda's armbar is friggin legit.

Comment

• Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
                Didn't even know there was a fight last night.

But UFC had it's first flyweight match, which I'm happy about because it's pretty much my weight class. I'm between 125 and 130, I say between because my body is weight, it'd gain weight bringing to 135 or 140, then in a week drop back down to 130.

Pretty much if I wanted to be a UFC fighter, I could either be in the Bantamweight or Flyweight, I'd prefer Flyweight because of height.

I was actually training do start doing MMA, but I promise my mom(whom doesn't support the idea) that I wont do it. I still train, but no longer part of a camp.

Anyways this post isn't about me, but the issue that happened during the fight.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-ca...wC9i3XwyA5nYcB

haha yeah I don't even know how you mess that up... silly commision...

one of my good friends works for sherdog lost his mind when he heard the decision... when he found out they screwed up it was even funnier listening to him rant.

Comment

• Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
                  Anyone catch the Miesha Tate vs Ronda Rousey fight last night? Probably the best display of grappling I've ever seen in women's MMA.

And it's good to see a women's mma match where there isn't a non roided up she man destroying everyone in her path.

Ronda's armbar is friggin legit.
                  Didn't see it, but I heard it was a really good fight for a women's bout.
                  sigpic
                  Adopted Broncos:
                  EmmanuelSanders

Comment

• Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
                    Didn't see it, but I heard it was a really good fight for a women's bout.
                    The arm bar was straight up disgusting to watch not to mention she got the arm bar on Tate twice.

That was a good pic I found on Sherdog.

Comment

The arm bar was straight up disgusting to watch not to mention she got the arm bar on Tate twice.

That was a good pic I found on Sherdog.
                      thats ridiculous.

cool pick

Comment

• There's a highlight of it which is basically most of the fight. Ronda looked so much bigger than Tate and quite honestly if she can take Cyborg down I think she can beat him/her (that is if Cyborg quits juicing).

Comment

• Tonight on FX the new season of the Ultimate Fighter comes on it at 9pm.

It will be live, which will be pretty cool. I believe jc13 said it'll be live last year when last season's Ultimate Fighter started.
                          sigpic
                          Adopted Broncos:
                          EmmanuelSanders

Comment

• Tonights episode should be awesome!!!!! 16 live fights??? What more could you want?

Comment

• This is either going to be very boring or very exciting.

Comment

This is either going to be very boring or very exciting.
                                So far I'm bored.
                                sigpic
                                Adopted Broncos:
                                EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Working...
                                X