No announcement yet.

NASCAR not a sport-----I think NOT!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stolen from EHOWA. Just thought a couple of you would like to read it.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Why NASCAR Has Never Impressed Me
    So this past weekend I had the opportunity to force myself to watch a NASCAR race from start to finish. Please allow me to recap the entire thing for you....

Green flag. Go! Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Crash. Yellow Flag. Go Slow. Green Flag. Go! Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Crash. Yellow Flag. Go Slow. Green Flag. Go! Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Checkered Flag. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Stop.

Now to me, that's just not entertainment. What's the attraction? I can appreciate a good race as much as anyone... some nice Indy/CART racing where you're on a nice road track and you're zooming down straightaways, then turning both left -- here's a concept -- and RIGHT. I can even get into watching drag racing, where it all comes down to the honing of your reflexes and the size of your balls. (Or in the case of Angelle Savoie, the wonderful absence of balls. Never before have I wished so hard to be a motorcycle. Hubba hubba!)

Anyway, here's just a few facts for your NASCAR weenies to chew on...

- Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have completed reading this sentence.
    - One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows at the Daytona 500.
    - Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1-1/2 gallons of nitromethane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.
    - A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the dragster supercharger.
    - With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.
    - At the stoichiometric (stoichiometry: methodology and technology by which quantities of reactants and products in chemical reactions are determined) 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitromethane the flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.
    - Nitromethane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.
    - Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.
    - Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After ½ way, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.
    - If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.
    - In order to exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4G's. In order to reach 200 mph well before half-track, the launch acceleration approaches 8G's.
    - Top Fuel Engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light!
    - Including the burnout the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.
    - The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.441 seconds for the quarter mile (10/05/03, Tony Schumacher). The top speed record is 333.00 mph. (533 km/h) as measured over the last 66' of the run (09/28/03 Doug Kalitta).
    - The Bottom Line; Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated $1,000.00 per second.

Putting all of this into perspective: You are driving the average $240,000 NASCAR Winston Cup racecar. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the stock car hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and past the dragster at an honest 200 mph. The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment.

The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race course.

That folks, is acceleration.

Comment

Originally posted by Mer

-=-=-=-=-=-

So this past weekend I had the opportunity to force myself to watch a NASCAR race from start to finish. Please allow me to recap the entire thing for you....

Green flag. Go! Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Crash. Yellow Flag. Go Slow. Green Flag. Go! Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Crash. Yellow Flag. Go Slow. Green Flag. Go! Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Checkered Flag. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Stop.

Now to me, that's just not entertainment. What's the attraction? I can appreciate a good race as much as anyone... some nice Indy/CART racing where you're on a nice road track and you're zooming down straightaways, then turning both left -- here's a concept -- and RIGHT. I can even get into watching drag racing, where it all comes down to the honing of your reflexes and the size of your balls. (Or in the case of Angelle Savoie, the wonderful absence of balls. Never before have I wished so hard to be a motorcycle. Hubba hubba!)

- Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have completed reading this sentence.
      - One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows at the Daytona 500.
      - Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1-1/2 gallons of nitromethane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.
      - A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the dragster supercharger.
      - With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.
      - At the stoichiometric (stoichiometry: methodology and technology by which quantities of reactants and products in chemical reactions are determined) 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitromethane the flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.
      - Nitromethane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.
      - Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.
      - Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After ½ way, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.
      - If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.
      - In order to exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4G's. In order to reach 200 mph well before half-track, the launch acceleration approaches 8G's.
      - Including the burnout the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.
      - The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.441 seconds for the quarter mile (10/05/03, Tony Schumacher). The top speed record is 333.00 mph. (533 km/h) as measured over the last 66' of the run (09/28/03 Doug Kalitta).
      - The Bottom Line; Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated $1,000.00 per second.

Putting all of this into perspective: You are driving the average $240,000 NASCAR Winston Cup racecar. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the stock car hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and past the dragster at an honest 200 mph. The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment.

The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race course.

Too much technical stuff for a non-gear head like me, but:

Still looks boring. Just my opinion. Fast, but boring. At least the speed ensure my suffering would end sooner.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
      You should check these guys out

Comment

Originally posted by Mer

-=-=-=-=-=-

I'm a mechanical engineer and that just gave me a hard on.
        Rivers, Suck it long suck it hard.

You too Cutler.

Comment

Originally posted by rascal
          lmmfao

loudly, I might add!

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
          You should check these guys out

Comment

Originally posted by rascal
            LMMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT.................he is comparing the two sports NOT saying NASCAR is NOT a sport.............Apples and Oranges as far as I am concerned (not to mention I would be glad to watch either drag racing or NASCAR, makes no difference to me ) Esp. if my man is sporting the above mentioned attribute

Comment

Yeah he was comparing two different sports, but it still appealed to me

I use to race in highschool and it was awesome. We would have races at the airport, and then after they stopped that we would race up some of the mountain roads. Talk about a rush. We had shop class and we would work on our cars during the week and race them on friday and saturday night. I had a 67 shelby that I had rebuilt and it kicked ass. Unfortunately one race the engine blew and it started a fire. I jumped out and the car exploded about 3 seconds later from the nitro's. I cried.

You too Cutler.

Comment

I'll give ya credit that it is a sport, but its one helluva boring sport, at that.

"Look Billy Bob, that car did a circle around the track."

"Yepper, Jimmy Joe, and they're gonna do yet another circle."

"Yeeeeeee-hawwwww. Pass me the flask full of Mad Dog!"

Comment

I have to rank it up there just a notch above synchronized swimming and bass masters.
                  The Game Day Thread: Year 16 in progress!!! sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NYCHIEFSFAN
                    I'll give ya credit that it is a sport, but its one helluva boring sport, at that.

"Look Billy Bob, that car did a circle around the track."

"Yepper, Jimmy Joe, and they're gonna do yet another circle."

"Yeeeeeee-hawwwww. Pass me the flask full of Mad Dog!"
                    Well I think you are pushing it there a little NYC...................everyone I've ever seen at a race drinks out of styrofoam cups

Bye the way is that a picture of your wife or mother in your avatar.......LOL.................j/k man, j/k...............

Comment

Originally posted by AsianOrange
                      Well.... coming from an area where Nascar is huge...I think it's as overated as....cycling!

Cycling is a sport...but no one cares to watch it!
                      Okay, if no one cares to watch it then why did NASCAR related merchandise generate over 2 billion dollars in sales last year? Geesh, that's an awful lot of people not watching something.....

Comment

bump

You too Cutler.

Comment

Have you been to a Nascar race, rascal?

Comment

Originally posted by orangenblue420
                            Have you been to a Nascar race, rascal?
                            Yeah I went to Texas Motor Speedway this past year. It was awesome! Ryan Newman won.

You too Cutler.

Comment

Working...
                            X