Boxing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cahill View Post
    It's a boxing match, Ortiz needs to stop apologizing. One was enough, the man is going to be pissed no matter what you do. I like Mayweather, while a stunt like this is not going to get him a lot of fans. It is drawing more attention to the sport so that isn't a bad thing.
    So true....
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by InElwayWeTrust View Post
      That was awesome!!! And that is why Money Mayweather is my favorite boxer!!! Ortiz is the dirty fighter! He knew he was getting his *** handed to him, and he was going to continue to get beaten like an unwanted stepchild. So he knows his only way out is to commit the most obvious headbutt since Zidane. Mayweather's mouth is bloodied from it, and the ref takes a point. I couldn't be prouder of what happened next. You wanna take a cheap shot?? OK... Go to SLEEP NOW!!! NEXT?!?!

Then Ortiz has the nerve to claim it wasn't on purpose?????? And while he talks about how Floyd sucker punched him punk crew yells "where was the ref???" WOW???

Like Money said, If he wants a rematch he can have one, but I doubt he does... Somethings you get what you deserve, this was one of those times.
      I wouldn't say Floyd was completely dominating the fight. There were a lot of people who thought Ortiz was going to be completely outclassed and while Floyd is still no doubt the better fighter, it wasn't the pure *** kicking many thought it would be, or rather how you make it out to be.

If you want to see a true *** kicking, rewatch Pacquiao and Margarito last year. This fight was much, much closer.

Anyway. Ortiz apologized too many times and forgot that he's still a fighter, the first thing you're told when you begin fighting is to NEVER drop your guard. I don't care if you're in a sanctioned fight in Las Vegas or in a fight in the streets somewhere, you do not drop your guard. I fault Ortiz for that.

Nonetheless, I didn't really have a huge interest in this fight. As with everyone else, boxing is meaning less and less without the true stars going head to head. If Mayweather really loves this sport and hopes for it to continue onwards in the future, he REALLY needs to step it up and accept the fight with Manny because fights like the one we just witnessed tonight is a big reason why the MMA is kicking boxing in the mouth in the ratings and popularity.
      sigpic

Comment

• It would be nice to have seen this fight get into the later rounds. Ortiz was huge, and he was getting punches through. Mayweather's skill somehow impresses me every time he fights. I think he has the straightest right in the game. His straight right hand practically scrapes his own head when he cocks it back and sends it. That's where the power comes from. I didn't think there was any way for Ortiz to win this fight, but if he's that much bigger than Floyd, he can wear Floyd down some with pressure and combinations. He's not going to beat Mayweather in the center of the ring, but that was probably a given. Ortiz has no choice but to try and sucker May into a brawl.

About the head butt. Andre Ward pulls that crap all of the time and people love him. A lot of guys do it, and a lot of guys get caught from time to time. Point deduction was the right call. If he would have seriously cut Mayweather or hurt him because of it, I think it would be a different story. It doesn't really matter anyway, because Floyd took the easy way out. Hitting a guy when he's trying to apologize is like hitting a guy on the break. It's legal, but a ***** move. I don't care how many times he apologizes, and I think Ortiz allowed himself to lose his edge there. That's mental. Floyd's demeanor was in a better place than Victor's. But that's just Floyd being Floyd. Great fighters don't give a crap for your emotions.

Since Mayweather is not going to fight Paquiao, a rematch is needed. Unfortunately for Ortiz, he just tipped his hand. Whether or not it mattered is something we didn't get to find out.

Here's what I don't get about Floyd though. Why risk fighting a big bruiser like Ortiz when there is little to gain, and run from Paquiao? He thinks he has a monster legacy. It just isn't there. He passes the eye test, and he has a fair share of good wins, but he absolutely must fight Paquiao if he wants to be in the conversation. I think, deep down, he's happy with what he has.

Comment

• Unfortunately this spectacle overshadowed two other great fighters. Canelo Alvarez retained his title and the legendary Erik Morales won his 4th title in 4 different weight classes.
          sigpic

Comment

• Well then. We get Pacquiao/Marquez IV. It's all about the money at this point, and they know this fight is good for it. In the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter. Marquez is a guy that sylistically matches up well with Pacquiao, but by we've seen it three times now. Who cares what happens. I know I don't. I hope Saul Alvarez wrecks all of these guys.

In other news, I would almost put Andre Ward ahead of Pacquiao pound for pound at this point anyways. What he just did to Dawson was almost unrealistic. He's the immediate future in boxing the way I see it.

Comment

• So about that Andre Ward guy...

Seriously though. Marquez was always better than Pacquiao anyway. Pacquiao just had more athleticism. Straight right over the lazy jab Evander style.
              Last edited by Spice 1; 12-08-2012, 11:13 PM.

Comment

• Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

Man I'm so drunk I'm suprises I can type.

Goodnight Picioau!! Have a good nap!!!!

Mayweather > PAC man! Lollllllllllll

Comment

• Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahauahahahaha

Marquez sent pacquiao to la la land!!!! And arguably beat him before.

Yet Mayweahter made Marquez look like a fool swinging at the wind! Lol hahahah I love the haters.

Comment

• Floyd Mayweather/Andre Ward would be the best fight imo.I would go to Vegas to watch that one.

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncoSexyDaddy View Post
                      Floyd Mayweather/Andre Ward would be the best fight imo.I would go to Vegas to watch that one.
                      Would be an awesome fight, but it would probably have to be made at middle weight. It's conceivable that Floyd could fight at that weight, but he wouldn't have any power and would be more sluggish. He can't get into the ring with Pacquiao, he'd never try to move up that far to fight Ward in his wheelhouse. Unless Ward could drop down to super welterweight, I don't see it ever happending.

There are a lot of high profile guys for Ward to beat up on in the middleweight divisions right now anyway. The first of which, being Pavlik (who I happen to like, cause he's from OH). Ward can make his career fighting these guys. Ward is also likely to move up (temporarily, because there's nobody up there) to light heavy. Possibly a rematch with Dawson.

Comment

• sigpic
                        Adopted Broncos:
                        EmmanuelSanders

Comment

• 5/4 - Mayweather/Guerrero.
                          Guerrero is probably going to do like Cotto did, and walk him down. One big thing that Guerrero does have going for him, is that he goes to the body very well and loves to rough guys up on the inside. But Guerrero really isn't much of a ghost, and Floyd will likely catch him with repeated counter punches. Though I really like Guerrero, Floyd probably wins easy.

I'll probably get the fight, because Floyd hasn't fought a guy with this much heart in a long time. Guerrero is super hero in the will department.
                          Last edited by Spice 1; 12-27-2012, 12:34 PM.

Comment

• Great fight tonight. I had Bradley 114-113. A display of heart on both parts. Provodnikov was the much bigger puncher, and couldn't be hurt by Bradley's shots. If Bradley would have approached this fight with the mindset to move laterally and stick him with the jab and straight he would have coasted for the most part. That's the thing about Bradley. He has a lot of heart. He chose instead to fight like Holy, and exchange with Provodnikov all night. Bradley outlanded him, but Ruslan's power consistently got to him. Ruslan punched himself out two or three times during the course of the fight, and that gave Bradley an opportunity to outbox him. If the ref scores a knock down in the first round, this fight's a draw.

Bradley earned a lot of respect tonight. Fighting this fight the way he did.

Comment

• Anyone else watching the Alverado and Rio fight?
                              2013 Adopt-a-Bronco: Demaryius Thomas

sigpic

Comment

• Tremendous fight. Congrats to Alvarado!

Please bring fight #3 to the Pepsi Center!
                                2013 Adopt-a-Bronco: Demaryius Thomas

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X