No announcement yet.

Boxing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've posted my thoughts on the HW division in here before, but I'll come back to it. The decline in popularity and competitiveness started with the super heavyweights. They should have created a super heavyweight division years ago. When Riddick Bowe and Lennox Lewis showed up, the game changed. Here were two really big fighters, who also happened to be highly skilled. Even Foreman, back when he fought Ali, left a lot to be desired. He simply wasn't a very good boxer back then. If he were, he would have defeated Ali and changed the course of history.

I think Wlad is under appreciated for the reasons Elway mentioned. The last exciting, great heavyweight IMO was Holyfield, but guys like him couldn't compete with the bigger heavys. (As faded as he was, look at what happened to Tyson when they threw him in with Lewis) To be honest, Lewis wasn't very different from Wladimir. Steward trained them both on how to work off of their jabs and set up their best weapons. A boring fight to watch. The difference was that Lewis was a better combination puncher, and he wasn't afraid to get careless from time to time. You'll never see Wlad throw uppercuts or body punches. That's Steward's training. He taught him to systematically break guys down. Start with the jab, introduce the straight right, and then the left hook. Lewis and Wlad both had suspect chins, but Lewis had that massive overhand right. Wlad never had a dramatically powerful punch like that overhand right. Other than that, had Wlad been given the opportunity to fight some of the smaller/great heavys, he would have more respect.

Comment

• so bradley says that golovkin is slow and that canelo would beat him....he stopped short of saying that he could beat him. i dont think bradley could beat either or cotto. i dont think bradley has enough power...

thurman vs bunda......never heard of bunda

floyd getting mad at yet another one of his long time supporters for saying he needs to fight pac...
      Glen Haven Fire

Comment

• Golovkin didn't appear to have a ton of speed, he wasn't even on his toes, totally flat footed. But dude was focused, precise, just sharp. He has power, definitely a lot of power in the left hand. My guess is ggg would/will give them all problems. I can't wait to see who he fights next.

Comment

• Originally posted by ELWAY421 View Post
          Golovkin didn't appear to have a ton of speed, he wasn't even on his toes, totally flat footed. But dude was focused, precise, just sharp. He has power, definitely a lot of power in the left hand. My guess is ggg would/will give them all problems. I can't wait to see who he fights next.
          It's like once he knows a guy can't hurt him, he doesn't even care about defense. He just waits for the guy to throw, and counters. He knocked Geale out as he was getting hit by a power punch. lol.

I thought about your question, too, and I honestly can't think of anybody. As far as natural ability. Jones had fast twitch and reflexes as good as anybody. Maybe better.

Comment

• Did you watch Benard last night Spice? It's about time for him to hang up the gloves, isn't it?

Comment

Did you watch Benard last night Spice? It's about time for him to hang up the gloves, isn't it?
              That's probably the worst beating I've seen him take. Not that he got beat up, but he got hit with a handful of shots that Kovalev's been knocking people out with. Round's like that twelfth can change a guy's life, forget career. I'm with you. As impressive as it was for a near fifty year old man go the distance with a guy like Kovalev, it's time to hang 'em up.

He can't make weight at supermiddle. He can't beat the two premier light heavy's, and there's nothing for him at cruiser. Time to ride off into the sunset....unless Ward calls. lol. No, that'll never happen. Nor should it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
                That's probably the worst beating I've seen him take. Not that he got beat up, but he got hit with a handful of shots that Kovalev's been knocking people out with. Round's like that twelfth can change a guy's life, forget career. I'm with you. As impressive as it was for a near fifty year old man go the distance with a guy like Kovalev, it's time to hang 'em up.

He can't make weight at supermiddle. He can't beat the two premier light heavy's, and there's nothing for him at cruiser. Time to ride off into the sunset....unless Ward calls. lol. No, that'll never happen. Nor should it.
                I agree, and like you I don't think he got severely beaten, he just didn't fight. No sense of getting in the ring if you're not gonna fight. He did hurt Kovalev once I think but he didn't throw punches very often man. Great fighter, great career!

Comment

• eh we shall see if he pulls a holyfield.

benard in his prime for this fight would have been different but hey props for him doin this at this stage of his career
                  Glen Haven Fire

Comment

• looks like pac is doing well in training...first it was postals nose and i hear he knocked another sparring partner out...

i dont think algieri has enough power to do much to pac.
                    Glen Haven Fire

Comment

• Originally posted by armedequation View Post
                      looks like pac is doing well in training...first it was postals nose and i hear he knocked another sparring partner out...

i dont think algieri has enough power to do much to pac.
                      I'm a big Manny fan as well & I have to say I'm a tad bit worried about Algieri's height & reach, Algieri may not have big power but he can box, no doubt.

Comment

• On a different note Pulev is a dirty, rabbit punching fool! But he got knocked out cold! Lol.

That's all I have to say about that.

Comment

I'm a big Manny fan as well & I have to say I'm a tad bit worried about Algieri's height & reach, Algieri may not have big power but he can box, no doubt.
                          yea i dont know why people dont like pac...every fight is exciting because of his style. more so than his power is his speed combined with how he punches.

the only reason i feel that jmm kod him is because of the fact that they had fought 4 times. timing can be everything

probably one of the best sayings ive heard from boxing or mma is that if your undefeated, then your not fighting the right people
                          Glen Haven Fire

Comment

• didnt get to watch but man pac did great

im excited about the possible fight with may news thats been let out of the bag too
                            i definitely wont be able to afford the $100 pay per view price but at least its looking at this point like it will.happen
                            Glen Haven Fire

Comment

• Originally posted by armedequation View Post
                              didnt get to watch but man pac did great

im excited about the possible fight with may news thats been let out of the bag too
                              i definitely wont be able to afford the $100 pay per view price but at least its looking at this point like it will.happen

I didn't get to watch either but from what I read he was dominate!

Now It's time for him and Floyd to make it happen.

I couldn't ever see myself paying money to watch a fight on tv but I'd definitely go to a sports bar to watch that fight.

Comment

• Looking like the Mega Fight Mayweather/Pacquiao is going down May 2nd. Should be announced SB Sunday.

So stoked
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X