No announcement yet.

Boxing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yea you would think garcia wouldve worked more at cutting off the ring. It seemed like he made more of an effort in later rounds to do that but i dont think he moved enough.

Not sure who garcia should fight next. I think hes a good fighter but if he cant go back down and doesnt have the power to go up...
    147 seems to have a lot of bigger framed fighters

Are you for or against ward and kovalev having a rematch?
    Glen Haven Fire

Comment

• Originally posted by armedequation View Post
      Yea you would think garcia wouldve worked more at cutting off the ring. It seemed like he made more of an effort in later rounds to do that but i dont think he moved enough.

Not sure who garcia should fight next. I think hes a good fighter but if he cant go back down and doesnt have the power to go up...
      147 seems to have a lot of bigger framed fighters

Are you for or against ward and kovalev having a rematch?
      Totally for it. Outcome of the first fight was way too controversial. I've watched the fight 4 times now, and I always see it anywhere from Kov by a point to Ward by a point. Three rounds that could've gone either way. I've been over the scoring again and again with people, and at the end of the day we just need a rematch.

There's another reason I want to see the rematch. I'm really getting tired of hearing about these videos people are making where they count Kovalev's punches that were partially blocked, grazed, or didn't even land while not counting Ward's work inside. There's a difference between touching a guy in a clinch and throwing an actual punch with the free hand, and there's a difference between hitting a guy who rolls with the punch and stopping a guy dead in his tracks with a counter. Another thing is that when fighters exchange, there is a tendency for people to score the exchange to the fighter who throws five or six while landing one to two, as opposed to the fighter who counters effectively with one punch and moves out of range. The counter is usually more effective. A lot of people I talk to have a very elementary approach to the sport, and I don't think it's good for boxing. We might as well just let the operators of CompuBox do the scoring, if we're going to look at it that way. Because of that, I want to see if Ward can outbox Kovalev for a longer duration than he did in the first fight. Not that it would validate the scores for the first fight, but it would garner him the respect he deserves. Sergey Kovalev is one of the most feared LHWs in history. He's a quality boxer with dynamite in his jab and straight right hand. There have been very, very few LHWs who have that kind of ability. Ward got up off the canvas and neutralized this guy. This isn't Michael Spinks, James Toney, Michael Moorer, Joe Calzaghe, or B Hop we're talking about here. This guy is an absolute killer. Ward should be getting his props.

Comment

• See i felt the same way about pac vs may.
        The one thing though with the countering, its one thing to box with the counter, its another thing if its used to run. Granted i havent watched the fight 4 or 5 times but to me pac would initiate and may would counter to run
        The beginning of the 11th for a few seconds where may was the aggressor. That tells me he was afraid to get hit most of the fight and to me thats not winning a boxing match. I came into boxing watching foreman, tyson and chavez sr. I didnt really really get into boxing until pac. Maybe my viewpoint is skewed by getting spoiled with barrera/morales/ marquez to appreciate floyd/wards style of fighting. I like thurman because he mixes it up and is there to box. I personally would have fought the entire fight like he did the first 5 or 6 rounds

And i do think ward/kovalev should go again. Who else would they fight??
        Last edited by armedequation; 03-09-2017, 07:44 AM.
        Glen Haven Fire

Comment

See i felt the same way about pac vs may.
          The one thing though with the countering, its one thing to box with the counter, its another thing if its used to run. Granted i havent watched the fight 4 or 5 times but to me pac would initiate and may would counter to run
          The beginning of the 11th for a few seconds where may was the aggressor. That tells me he was afraid to get hit most of the fight and to me thats not winning a boxing match. I came into boxing watching foreman, tyson and chavez sr. I didnt really really get into boxing until pac. Maybe my viewpoint is skewed by getting spoiled with barrera/morales/ marquez to appreciate floyd/wards style of fighting. I like thurman because he mixes it up and is there to box. I personally would have fought the entire fight like he did the first 5 or 6 rounds

And i do think ward/kovalev should go again. Who else would they fight??
          I watched the May/Pac fight a couple times. Mayweather was trying to stand in the pocket more until he got hit with an overhand left in like the third or fourth round. After that he resorted to defense and pot shots for the most part. When he does that, it's an effective way to win a fight, but not aesthetically pleasing. So, you have fighters like Rigondeaux and Lara (to a lesser degree) who live off of this style of fighting. People for the most part, don't want to see that. I agree with them. Evander Holyfield is my favorite fighter of all time. He wasn't a defensive master like May or Rigo, but he could fight technically. Still, he always chose to go into harm's way and trade. That's why Holy is so revered (unless you're talking to a Tyson fanatic). Same goes with SRL, which I've mentioned ad nauseam. But go back and watch SRL's fights. He only fought a couple guys where he actually had to sit down and go to war: Hearns and in spurts, Hagler. Even Benitez (a master technician) was a guy he could for the most part outbox. He chose to fight the way he did against conventional wisdom. That's what wins over fans.

Stevenson is the obvious opponent. It's hard to make a fight with him due to promotional differences, though. Eleider Alvarez is a good contender. Artur Beterbiev is a legit threat. Then of course, you got Fonfara.
          Last edited by Spice 1; 03-09-2017, 09:02 AM.

Comment

• I see diego dlh won again. When is he going to be ready for some of the upper crust?
            Glen Haven Fire

Comment

I see diego dlh won again. When is he going to be ready for some of the upper crust?
              Pretty soon, I think. He's ranked in the middle of the top 10 @SBW by the WBC, IBF, and WBO (Gary Russell, Lee Selby, Oscar Valdez). He's won all of his fights easily so far, and had over 250 amateur bouts. I can see him getting a crack at one of the belts in two or three fights. All depends on how they want to bring him along, I guess. Now that I look at it, there are actually a lot of good SBWs out there right now.

Comment

• GGG survives
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
                  GGG survives
                  Didnt watch but sounds like knockdown was the difference?
                  Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Yep it was. GGG was afraid of Jacobs size and power. GGG wasn't as active as he normally is.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
                      GGG survives
                      Originally posted by armedequation View Post
                      Originally posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
                      Yep it was. GGG was afraid of Jacobs size and power. GGG wasn't as active as he normally is.
                      Wait, Roman Gonzalez lost to Rungvisai? Cuadras whipped that guy. Styles make fights and all, but as far as I know these guys all have similarities. Maybe Cuadras took something out of Gonzalez. Might've taken something out of each other, because Cuadras almost lost too.
                      Last edited by Spice 1; 03-19-2017, 12:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
                        Wait, Roman Gonzalez lost to Rungvisai? Cuadras whipped that guy. Styles make fights and all, but as far as I know these guys all have similarities. Maybe Cuadras took something out of Gonzalez. Might've taken something out of each other, because Cuadras almost lost too.
                        From what i understand roman was knocked down but he was bothered by the cut from a clash of heads.

I had to laugh when i hear jacobs sayings 2 things. One that he won the fight by 2 rounds and 2 when he said that "thats all you have" after getting knocked down. It was enough to knock you down and to me if you didnt believe he had any power then you would have pressed him the rest of the time.
                        Glen Haven Fire

Comment

From what i understand roman was knocked down but he was bothered by the cut from a clash of heads.

I had to laugh when i hear jacobs sayings 2 things. One that he won the fight by 2 rounds and 2 when he said that "thats all you have" after getting knocked down. It was enough to knock you down and to me if you didnt believe he had any power then you would have pressed him the rest of the time.
                          Jacobs has a tendency to get hit clean. He usually comes back after getting caught, but I didn't expect him to go the distance with Golovkin. Dmitry Pirog, the one guy who knocked Jacobs out, was a really good fighter. Career was ended by a back injury, unfortunately. Alvarez/Golovkin is going to be an interesting fight, because Alvarez has loads of power, a good chin, and can box. Plus, it's easy to forget that Golovkin is getting old in boxing years. It looks to me like he might be headed for a rematch with Lemieux before that fight.

Comment

• Comment

• Am finally getting a chance to watch it! Usually if i sit down lately im asleep. I got half way through the first round on my phone and had to put it on the big screen. Its my first time seeing either fighter and im inpressed with both so far. Is that hopkins commentating?

Oh whoops its rjj
                              Last edited by armedequation; 03-22-2017, 08:32 PM.
                              Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Am finally getting a chance to watch it! Usually if i sit down lately im asleep. I got half way through the first round on my phone and had to put it on the big screen. Its my first time seeing either fighter and im inpressed with both so far. Is that hopkins commentating?

Oh whoops its rjj
                                I thought it was fight of the year for '16. Not a lot of big shots, or knockdowns, but just great boxing both ways.

Comment

Working...
                                X