No announcement yet.

Boxing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No doubt. After the first 3 rounds im sure no one gave cuadras a chance. But he took all those shots and listened to his corner. Started turning instead of trying to constant step back to create space. I thought he used the uppercut too many times in succession. It looked like he had openings for hooks or overhands after throwing the uppercut

Had to laugh at kellerman and lederman getting into it over wether cuadras was running or not. I have to agree with kellerman that he wasnt running after the first couple of rounds. I can definitely see a very good counter puncher being problems for roman. It would definitely have to be someone who can take a shot...i loved the fight and thanks for posting it! Im starting to watch things in the middle of the night when the kids have me up

I know its not boxing but i got to see a conner fight. Im irish and cant stand the guy (how he goes about his business) but he definitely has striking prowess but i dont know how it will translate. Its a double edge sword. It would be really interesting if may lost to a ufc fighter however i dont know if the rest of us could stand mcg's ego afterward
    Last edited by armedequation; 03-23-2017, 12:59 PM.
    Glen Haven Fire

Comment

• Originally posted by armedequation View Post
      No doubt. After the first 3 rounds im sure no one gave cuadras a chance. But he took all those shots and listened to his corner. Started turning instead of trying to constant step back to create space. I thought he used the uppercut too many times in succession. It looked like he had openings for hooks or overhands after throwing the uppercut

Had to laugh at kellerman and lederman getting into it over wether cuadras was running or not. I have to agree with kellerman that he wasnt running after the first couple of rounds. I can definitely see a very good counter puncher being problems for roman. It would definitely have to be someone who can take a shot...i loved the fight and thanks for posting it! Im starting to watch things in the middle of the night when the kids have me up

I know its not boxing but i got to see a conner fight. Im irish and cant stand the guy (how he goes about his business) but he definitely has striking prowess but i dont know how it will translate. Its a double edge sword. It would be really interesting if may lost to a ufc fighter however i dont know if the rest of us could stand mcg's ego afterward
      Yeah, Kellerman said that McGregor wouldn't land anything, and Floyd would knock him out whenever he wanted to. I wouldn't go that far. I could see Mayweather letting McGregor punch himself out, and pot shot him in the later rounds. A lot of people seem to think that Mayweather wouldn't knock him out, but I think he would if he really took the fight seriously. He could actually knock him out early, and the same way he dropped Hatton. That counter overhand right is lethal. There's really no way for McGregor to prepare for it. Even Canelo stopped pressing after getting hit by it a few times. Dana White sort of has a point in that Mayweather can have problems with southpaws, but it works both ways. He's open for the right hand.

Comment

• Do you think may hits harder than what conners faced in ufc?

I
        Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Do you think may hits harder than what conners faced in ufc?

I
          Doesn't really matter since Mayweather undoubtedly has better boxing skills, but McGregor probably has been hit harder by UFC fighters.
          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
          You Mad Bro?
          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

• Guys in UFC aren't wearing gloves so, yeah. He's probably been hit harder. It's the punch you don't see that gets you, though. In this case, a check left hook.

Comment

• How hatton survived as long as he did i wont know....hands down stalking your opponent.

I dont believe may has that same power anymore. I feel the same about pac too. Or if the power is there, maybe its the aggression thats not.
              Glen Haven Fire

Comment

How hatton survived as long as he did i wont know....hands down stalking your opponent.

I dont believe may has that same power anymore. I feel the same about pac too. Or if the power is there, maybe its the aggression thats not.
                I think it has more to do with reflexes and speed. A check left hook like that isn't going to stun most fighters that badly unless they don't see it. Adrien Broner, as much maligned as he is, has maybe the best check left hook in boxing because of his hand speed and reflexes. Knowing the exact moment to throw it. I think that's why, even though he has very little pop at 147, he can still score a flash knock down on a guy with a good chin (like he did with Porter). Thurman couldn't knock Porter down, and little Adrien Broner dropped him with a measly check hook. As these fighters age, they lose a little bit of the reflexes and speed, and the window to land those shots narrows.

In Manny's case though, I see a guy who relied a lot of his athleticism. I always go back to the RJJ/Hopkins comparison. RJJ relied heavily on his reflexes and athletic ability, and Hopkins was more technical. RJ may have been the better fighter early on, but BHop fought at a high level longer.
                Last edited by Spice 1; 03-24-2017, 11:36 AM.

Comment

• Your def right about the athletacism part.

I know i dont talk heavy that much but whats your take on the scene right now and who do you like? Does joshua beat wlad?

Its not my style to predict fights but if wlad fights like he did against furt, i dont see him winning
                  Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Your def right about the athletacism part.

I know i dont talk heavy that much but whats your take on the scene right now and who do you like? Does joshua beat wlad?

Its not my style to predict fights but if wlad fights like he did against furt, i dont see him winning
                    I drone on a bit here, so bear with me. Grab a cup of coffee if you don't have anything going on with work or the fam. I tend to do this when I'm talking about boxing, I know. It's a work in progress.

I've been of the mindset that Wlad has one good fight left, but it's probably going to be spent on Joshua, who's twice the fighter Tyson Fury is. You'd be a fool not to put the money on Joshua...IF you had to bet money. I wouldn't. I've seen this happen time after time. Guy fades as he ages, and finally gets embarrassed by a guy he never would've lost to in his prime. Then, out of nowhere, he walks out of a time machine to take out a prime contender.

I grew up watching the heavyweight division. That was always the pinnacle. Things have changed so much, because of the super heavyweights. I've watched every lineal heavyweight championship fight since Jack Johnson, and many careers in their entirety (Louis, Marciano, Ali, Tyson, Holyfield, and Lewis in particular). It all really fell apart during the Wladimir era, even though Wladimir was a great heavyweight under Steward. If I'm thinking straight, I can name every lineal heavyweight champion in history off the top of my head, and it sucks knowing that Tyson Fury was nowhere near the fighter that a lot of guys who never won it were. Sure, he's not the first. Primo Carnera was less than great. Marvin Hart wasn't. Shannon Briggs had it at one point. Johansson wasn't a great fighter, but a good tactician with a devastating punch that he knew how to set up. Leon Spinks got ahold of it, when a past his prime Ali got complacent. All of these guys however, represented the sport with a degree of class. Fury makes me want to throw up, if I'm being completely honest. The heavyweight division needs one of these guys to step up. Right now, Joshua may be the best bet.

Haven't watched the Golovkin replay yet. Watches Gonzalez, and was sort of stunned. I thought he won 114-112. I saw the problem right away though. Gonzalez has to adjust his approach against these bigger bodies. Even though he outboxed Rungvisai for almost the entire fight, the effect of Rungvisai's power was far more obvious. After the third or fourth round, Gonzalez probably couldn't believe Rungvisai was still standing there. I remember one point where he threw a hard five punch combination, and four of them landed flush. Rungvisai was probably the first guy he's fought that could take that and keep coming. I mean he didn't change speed on any of the punches, and Rungvisai just stood there like he was getting shot by an assault rifle.

Comment

• Fury reminds me of the stories you hear about some poor guy who wins the lottery and instead of going and getting a lawyer first, he goes out and parties and buys stuff. Then wakes up the next morning to find out that he lost the ticket partying (could definitely be an urban myth). Hes definitely done nothing to help the division at a time (your absolutely right on that) when they need a star.

It wouldnt suprise me one bit if k pulled it off. I would be super inspired to show the world that the fury fight was a fluke.

Id be curious in a joshua vs wilder fight.

So was it that roman wasnt hurting him or ringvasi (i know i murdered the spelling) could just take a punch? Was it the headbutt or the knockdown that affected roman more?
                      Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Fury reminds me of the stories you hear about some poor guy who wins the lottery and instead of going and getting a lawyer first, he goes out and parties and buys stuff. Then wakes up the next morning to find out that he lost the ticket partying (could definitely be an urban myth). Hes definitely done nothing to help the division at a time (your absolutely right on that) when they need a star.

It wouldnt suprise me one bit if k pulled it off. I would be super inspired to show the world that the fury fight was a fluke.

Id be curious in a joshua vs wilder fight.

So was it that roman wasnt hurting him or ringvasi (i know i murdered the spelling) could just take a punch? Was it the headbutt or the knockdown that affected roman more?
                        They clashed heads like 5 times, and Gonzalez got the worst of it. It had to be effecting him to a degree, because he had to be getting blood in his eyes. Rungvisai took Roman's shots very well. He went to Gonzalez's body a lot early in the fight as well, but Gonzalez toughed it out and still outboxed him. He was in a tough situation, and performed admirably. Just didn't get the decision. If Roman was naturally a bigger fighter, he would've had Rungvisai dead to rights before the end of the 5th.

Comment

• With what happened in that fight, who do have as your p4p? It seems the laymans choice right now is lomancheko but i dont know if hes fought the right people to be crowned that yet
                          Glen Haven Fire

Comment

With what happened in that fight, who do have as your p4p? It seems the laymans choice right now is lomancheko but i dont know if hes fought the right people to be crowned that yet
                            He really hasn't. What he did to Nicholas Walters though, my god. You'd think he can see the future.

This should be the go to tutorial on how to fight a southpaw. Notice how he's always stepping around the right foot, and working the right hand. He makes it look easy, though.

I gotta go with Andre Ward right now, but Loma is up there. I don't see any reason to take Pacquiao out of there yet either. He may not be as blazing fast with his hand speed and footwork as he once was, but let's wait until it's proven that he can't whip top Welters anymore. Then you got Crawford, Kovalev, Rigo, Alvarez, and Golovkin. I would put Mikey Garcia, and Thurman close now.
                            Last edited by Spice 1; 03-29-2017, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• Just got godzilla and mothra to bed so im get a chance to watch it on the big screen now.

A big reason why i think pac is still on that list (i dont feel he gets enough credit for) is his defense and the way he moves has improved.

Wish the top names would fight 2 to 3 times a year. Main reason i dont get into politics is i feel so much time is wasted galevanting around.
                              Glen Haven Fire

Comment

• Walters didnt really throw much. I dont know how he didnt go into that fight without watching how salido moved. Its hard to step around when your going backwards. To be honest walters didnt look like he wanted to be there. Im honestly suprised loman didnt finish him sooner
                                Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Working...
                                X