Boxing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by armedequation View Post
    Walters didnt really throw much. I dont know how he didnt go into that fight without watching how salido moved. Its hard to step around when your going backwards. To be honest walters didnt look like he wanted to be there. Im honestly suprised loman didnt finish him sooner
    Yup, I agree. Walters looked unprepared for the fight. Salido is crafty, but he's dirty as hell too. I know Lomachenko wanted to rematch him, but it'll probably never happen. I loved how Mikey Garcia was embarrassing Salido until Salido started headbutting him. Speaking of which, I hope Mikey gets the Linares fight. I think he would stop Linares.

Comment

• Its personal for loman to want to avenge the loss but it would be such bad timing. Garcia seems to be in the mold of fighters vasyl has been facing but on a way higher level. I dont know how well he will handle the move up in weight but id like to see him against garcia or crawford
      Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Its personal for loman to want to avenge the loss but it would be such bad timing. Garcia seems to be in the mold of fighters vasyl has been facing but on a way higher level. I dont know how well he will handle the move up in weight but id like to see him against garcia or crawford
        They would both be mega fights. I could see Garcia being a big underdog, and Walters potentially being made a 50/50 proposition by the oddsmakers. I really think he could be defeated by both, though. Garcia is not going to let Loma turn him like Loma has been doing to all the guys he's been fighting. Loma likes to work his way in with head movement and double/triple jabs, and you can't let him get into the pocket, because he'll destroy you in there. I think Garcia could establish range well enough to keep the fight more where he wants it. Also, Garcia has good short range power (especially with the uppercuts). That's important, because Loma is going to hit you with a four-six punch combinations and move laterally. If you don't have the power to disrupt him, forget about it.

I'll go back to the Walters fight when talking about Crawford. Remember what happened to Walters when he turned southpaw? Grant it, Crawford is way bigger, and way better from the southpaw stance, but he's never fought someone who can move like Lomachenko does. Would be fun to watch. I think fighting at range, with lateral movement is the way to go against Lomachenko. Problem is that it would probably take a really good tactician, who has quick feet and hands to do it effectively. Rigo comes to mind, but I can see Rigo getting crushed by Loma, if Loma could get the fight out of the center of the ring.

I'll add another to my list of LHW contenders as well. Oleksandr Gvozdyk. He's totally different from Beterbiev and Kovalev, and impressed the hell out of me on the Loma undercard. Who do you got in the Kov/Ward rematch? Kov looks like he needs to drop about 20-25 pounds over the next couple months.
        Last edited by Spice 1; 04-13-2017, 09:59 AM.

Comment

• Do you think loman has enough power to be effective at 135+? Im sure hes faced movers as an amatuer but we havent seen him face one in the pros. The garcia fight would be epic. It would also be interesting to see how crawford would manage his movement.

I havent been able to watch the first kov/ward fight lol. If it was that close and kov seemed like he was playing wards game, what happens if kov just stays true? I may get a chance to watch it tonight but my off the cuff answer is kov if he plays it his way. If he lets ward play his game then ward wins.
          Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Do you think loman has enough power to be effective at 135+? Im sure hes faced movers as an amatuer but we havent seen him face one in the pros. The garcia fight would be epic. It would also be interesting to see how crawford would manage his movement.

I havent been able to watch the first kov/ward fight lol. If it was that close and kov seemed like he was playing wards game, what happens if kov just stays true? I may get a chance to watch it tonight but my off the cuff answer is kov if he plays it his way. If he lets ward play his game then ward wins.
            I'll root for MikeyG against anybody, tbh. I do think Lomachenko can be effective at higher weight, because he doesn't rely on power punching. It won't show until he fights the elite guys like Crawford. Crawford is way bigger.

Well Kovalev is a really good outside fighter. He leads with the right or left, throws kind of an up jab with stupid power. It's hard to see coming. He has fast enough hand speed, faints a lot, has quicker feet than people give him credit for. Power in both hands, I mean, he's a handful out there. I always figured Andre would take him inside, and he did. That's what won him the first fight. Kovalev's biggest mistake, IMO, was that he didn't take advantage of his opportunity to stop Ward. Ward tried at first to box Kov outside, and he can't beat him like that. Maybe at MW 5 years ago, but not now. It didn't turn until Ward started going to the body, and working inside. I imagine Ward is going to try to work the body again. I would say the biggest adjustment for Kovalev would be to be more aggressive at cutting off the ring this time around. Kov really does look out of shape right now, though. I can see Ward jabbing to the body A LOT. He already did a good deal of it in the first fight.

You should watch some of Beterbiev's fights, and watch this Gvozdyk guy while you're at it. The Eastern fighters are taking over. Beterbiev is actually somewhat similar to Kovalev, but better inside. Kov is more athletic, and better outside, though. Biev might be as good, or even better than Kov. Time will tell. You'd swear Gvozdyk was an American fighter if you didn't know any better.

Comment

• Lomachenko/Salido rematch has supposedly been set for this summer.

Comment

• Sorry i havent posted in a while. Better half took the kids to jersey so her family could meet them. What was suppose to be painting 2 rooms turned into 2 room renovations. My 2.5 year old is more than half as tall as me (im about 5'10) and is about 55 pounds. Needless to say he is rough on stuff. I was planning on using his crib for her but ended up with pieces that i used to build hers. Anyways i didnt have much time.

I did see gvozdyks ko in his last fight but have yet watch beterbiev. Ive been meaning to check him out as ive heard his one thats up and coming on strong.

I dont fault loman one bit for revenge fight. Give him props though, his situation is unique in that usually you dont go into a revenge fight with everything to lose and only revenge to gain. Hopefully if he wins he takes on a bigger name in the fall
                Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Sorry i havent posted in a while. Better half took the kids to jersey so her family could meet them. What was suppose to be painting 2 rooms turned into 2 room renovations. My 2.5 year old is more than half as tall as me (im about 5'10) and is about 55 pounds. Needless to say he is rough on stuff. I was planning on using his crib for her but ended up with pieces that i used to build hers. Anyways i didnt have much time.

I did see gvozdyks ko in his last fight but have yet watch beterbiev. Ive been meaning to check him out as ive heard his one thats up and coming on strong.

I dont fault loman one bit for revenge fight. Give him props though, his situation is unique in that usually you dont go into a revenge fight with everything to lose and only revenge to gain. Hopefully if he wins he takes on a bigger name in the fall
                  Good to hear all is well with the family, man.

Comment

• Thanks bud! hope all is well with you!

What are your thoughts on charlo vs ggg or canelo? Im not too familier with the charlo brothers
                    Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Thanks bud! hope all is well with you!

What are your thoughts on charlo vs ggg or canelo? Im not too familier with the charlo brothers
                      GGG has recently started to look his age, but the Charlos are beatable. Jermall is the better one of the two, imo. Just seems like he's the faster thinker. I've watched them both fight a handful of times, but the most recent was Jermell's last fight. The guy he was in with was backing straight up from the jab w/no guard. I was waiting for Jermell to step in w/the jab, and throw the overhand right. He finally did like three rounds later, and knocked him out. Idk if he was worried about getting countered or what, but he let that guy hang around for a while. Even let the guy be the aggressor at times. Charlo was way taller, with better reach, has a pretty good jab, but he didn't fight like the taller fighter. I don't see that working out well against Golovkin. Canelo should dispatch Chavez, and idt we'll really learn anything new from that fight. I think the Charlo's could give Canelo some problems, but don't see them beating him. Just haven't seen enough yet to know. Also, I expect Chavez to put forth his best effort in the Canelo fight. A better version than what we've seen so far, but Canelo should still take care of business. It's not going to get any better for Chavez Jr. This is the top of the mountain.

Comment

• Sounds like joshua vs wlad was a good one. That the first time joshuas been down? Interesting that holyfield was in joshuas corner. Instead of a rematch, can we see wilder vs joshua?
                        Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Sounds like joshua vs wlad was a good one. That the first time joshuas been down? Interesting that holyfield was in joshuas corner. Instead of a rematch, can we see wilder vs joshua?
                          Watched the fight. Didn't think it was on my station.

What a fight! What a heavyweight fight!!

I have been critical of boxing over the last number of years, but last night's fight was amazing. Two huge men, in incredible shape, getting knocked to the ground due to serious blows, and both getting up and turning the fight around. Joshua could be a legend, but then again, he was this close to being knocked out by a 41 year old, whose best days are behind him. I credit Klitschko for making a fight of it, after a slow start and after being knocked down hard. Like I say, his punch was nearly a knock out, but he could not finish Joshua off.

Good for boxing, and god for both men, who made heavyweights look like middleweights, in terms of stay power, athleticism and willingness to keep active.

Comment

• Ok, so I don't want to be the Debbie Downer guy this morning, so I will admit that was a pretty good heavyweight fight. I wasn't surprised at all with the way Wlad came back, but Joshua should've finished him then and there. I gotta be honest with my assessment. I think AJ got exposed Saturday. Slow feet, and poor stamina will be his downfall, imo. Wlad at 41 gave AJ a lot of problems by jumping in and out. Wlad said before the fight that AJ is too muscular, and he'll fade. Boy did he. Youth won the day, as he found his second wind, but he punched himself out extremely fast. This all comes back to Wilder. Wilder isn't as fleet of foot as Wlad, but he has a solid jab, and an overhand right that is about as good as Wlad's. Wilder is all about finding a way to land the overhand right, and he's a better finisher than Wlad. He's more aggressive than Wlad, and throws a wider combination of punches. Wilder fight's tall, as he should with range, but he can fight in close.

When this fight ever happens, I see Wilder taking Joshua into deep water, and dumping him.

Comment

• Cool to see you in here Can!

Joshuas next fight will be telling. You fight the great fights and find your flaws and fix them. I would be suprised if he didnt have better stamina next fight. Still want that fight with wilder though. I will have to watch this at some point.
                              Glen Haven Fire

Comment

• Only thing that will save this Canelo Chavez fight is a brutal KO. Chavez is a no show.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X