No announcement yet.

Boxing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There were a few shots dlh took where i think a heavier handed fighter would have dropped him....looked like hooks/overhand that dlh was taking a few times. Hes definitely one to watch though.

Didnt see how crawford taunted his opponent but i dont really think hes done anything to deserve a fight with pac. Id like to see him face loman though...

Dirrells fight or post fight i should say was interesting. 1 fight ending like that is wierd, nevermind 2
    Glen Haven Fire

Comment

• Originally posted by armedequation View Post
      There were a few shots dlh took where i think a heavier handed fighter would have dropped him....looked like hooks/overhand that dlh was taking a few times. Hes definitely one to watch though.

Didnt see how crawford taunted his opponent but i dont really think hes done anything to deserve a fight with pac. Id like to see him face loman though...

Dirrells fight or post fight i should say was interesting. 1 fight ending like that is wierd, nevermind 2
      I think they should put Diego in with another pressure fighter. See how he handles it.

Man, Crawford killed Diaz. Diaz kept trying to force Crawford to come to him so he could counter, and Crawford would walk right up to him and tap him on the head. lol. Idk how Diaz could even see. Both eyes were almost swollen shut. Diaz showed a lot of heart, though. Did a lot of good stuff later in the fight, but Crawford was just too much.

I remember watching Abraham knock Dirrell out live. It's crazy how this could happen twice to one guy. Uzcategui probably lost himself the fight, though. He was ahead on two of the scorecards.

Comment

• There really isnt any excuse for him not to hear the bell. Have you heard any explanation from uz as to why it went down that way?

I heard of a possible fight you might like: garcia vs broner. Who would you have in that one? I myself would really like that one. I havent seen much of garcia but isnt he undefeated? Something like 35-0?
        Glen Haven Fire

Comment

There really isnt any excuse for him not to hear the bell. Have you heard any explanation from uz as to why it went down that way?

I heard of a possible fight you might like: garcia vs broner. Who would you have in that one? I myself would really like that one. I havent seen much of garcia but isnt he undefeated? Something like 35-0?
          Haven't heard anything from Uzcategui, but it was pretty blatant. He probably deserved what he got, tbh. Of course the Dirrell family will get far worse moving forward. This was bad for Andre and Anthony's careers. Andre used to be really good. Anthony not so much, but it's a shame, really.

Yeah, I'd be more stoked about Garcia/Linares, but I've always been a huge Mikey Garcia fan. I get excited about all of his fights. We'll see what happens w/Broner. He was a handful at LW, before moving up. If he's motivated, it could be a pretty good fight. I've had Garcia in my top 10 P4P for like four years now. Not only has he beaten a who's who list of good fighters, but looked impressive throughout. He had contract issues, and was inactive for a while during that period.

Get a couple of great fights later this year. Ward/Kov II and Canelo/GGG. Should be interesting.

Comment

• Man dlh is on his high horse about may vs conner. Part of it i agree with and a lot of it seems like hes trying to make himself look good to the boxing world. But heres the thing, even if the fight happens, i dont see it doing nearly as well as some think. The cats out of the bag that its a gimmick fight and people now know how may fights. I do agree that boxing has everything to lose and nothing to gain.
            Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Man dlh is on his high horse about may vs conner. Part of it i agree with and a lot of it seems like hes trying to make himself look good to the boxing world. But heres the thing, even if the fight happens, i dont see it doing nearly as well as some think. The cats out of the bag that its a gimmick fight and people now know how may fights. I do agree that boxing has everything to lose and nothing to gain.
              I agree w/Oscar, but he's not exactly in the best position to call the fight out following that Alvarez/Chavez business. Also, it's his competition, so it makes business sense for him to trash the fight.

I'm with you on that fight potentially being a snoozer. The fight is designed to bring in casual fans, who always want to see a Rocky Balboa Hollywood fight. It's not likely. What they'll probably get is a tired McGregor, unwilling to engage, because it sucks to throw five, land one, and get countered in between.

Comment

• Kind of what we expected out of the brook spence fight, the way it sounds.
                Remember me asking that if brook lost if hed be done? Not that i knew his eye wouldnt hold up but i doubt it can take much more damage without being permanant. Wonder if spence will try to make a fight with thurman early next year and where he will go in the mean time. No i dont want to see him fight kahn. That would end up like tonight.

As far as dlh and what he was saying, he was making it sound like he alone was trying to save boxing which i find it hard to believe
                Last edited by armedequation; 05-27-2017, 11:39 PM.
                Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Kind of what we expected out of the brook spence fight, the way it sounds.
                  Remember me asking that if brook lost if hed be done? Not that i knew his eye wouldnt hold up but i doubt it can take much more damage without being permanant. Wonder if spence will try to make a fight with thurman early next year and where he will go in the mean time. No i dont want to see him fight kahn. That would end up like tonight.

As far as dlh and what he was saying, he was making it sound like he alone was trying to save boxing which i find it hard to believe
                  It was a very interesting fight. I guess Brook messed up his other eye in this one. I scored the fight identically with Farhood. I rarely disagree w/Farhood. Brook was outboxing Spence for the first five rounds. I gave him 4 out of 5. He was countering Spence's jab pretty regular, and hit him from a lot of different angles. Spence's main objective, and this is usually the case with him, was to find the body. He gradually started ramping up the pressure, and fought through a lot of adversity to land those body shots. It all paid off. Brook wore down, and Spence was more consistent with the jab. Brook just couldn't hold up over the long haul. Had Brook done a better job of protecting his eye, he could've won this fight. He hurt his eye a couple rounds before the stoppage, and the fight completely turned from that point on. Spence/Thurman is the next big fight. One Time's going to be out for a little while though, so we'll probably get at least one fight a piece before then.

I don't see Errol Spence having any problems stamina wise going forward. His demeanor and breathing are impeccable. They should've called him the Ice Man. I don't know how he does it. Especially Lomachenko. I work out on the heavy bag for cardio pretty regular, and I get tired as hell trying to mimic his movement to the right and back left. His core strength and stamina are unreal, because he almost always uses a double or even triple jab when he moves left, and he jumps right seamlessly. Coming off of the right, going into the left hook or whatever, and then finishing with the right once he's over there. And it's continuous. Guy is never out of position to throw. Watch a Loma fight, and pay attention to his feet and what punches he's throwing.

Comment

• Stumbled upon this vid. Someone once asked Loma if he would ever be up to boxing an MMA fighter like McGregor. He didn't really take the question seriously. He has a lot of respect for MMA and boxing alike, and didn't seem too excited about the novelty of it. This is he and Dillashaw going about 25% in sparring.

Props to TJ for putting himself out there, btw. Shows that he wants to improve as a striker.

Comment

• I didnt realize it was the other eye. Id be suprised if he fights upper tier talent his next fight. Maybe take some time off to heal physically/mentally completely and take a few warm up fights.

Watching loman fight with his side step. You almost have to counter his foot work and side step. He does that alot in the middle of the ring where hes has room. Tends to stun his opponents with that move and he can throw combos. Russell had terrible defense when he was trying to run down loman. Walters never threw enough to keep loman honest, hence why he was predictable. Lomans definitely got the stamina and fundamentals/execution for sure
                      Last edited by armedequation; 06-01-2017, 04:31 PM.
                      Glen Haven Fire

Comment

I didnt realize it was the other eye. Id be suprised if he fights upper tier talent his next fight. Maybe take some time off to heal physically/mentally completely and take a few warm up fights.

Watching loman fight with his side step. You almost have to counter his foot work and side step. He does that alot in the middle of the ring where hes has room. Tends to stun his opponents with that move and he can throw combos. Russell had terrible defense when he was trying to run down loman. Walters never threw enough to keep loman honest, hence why he was predictable. Lomans definitely got the stamina and fundamentals/execution for sure
                        A lot of people are calling for Brook to retire. Idk about that, but his call. If he changes the way he fights from a defensive standpoint, I can see him carrying on w/a lot of success. Also, in his case, I would say that weight drain was an issue. It's always been said that one of the hardest things to do is move up in weight, and then come back down. Not saying that this was the main reason he lost, but I think that and his inability to protect that eye were the biggest reasons I can see. Well, that and Spence being very good.

Lomachenko mixes it up so much when he shifts. He'll start simple, and branch out as the fight progresses. I think that's why they used to call him the Matrix. BTW: What I was saying about how he moves right and left...reverse it. I was thinking from my standpoint as orthodox. Loma switches orthodox occasionally, but he never stays. It's always a temporary maneuver to change angles.

Comment

• Notice how he brings the fighter back into the center of the ring right before the bell? Hes the only one ive seen do that and im not quite sure why. If hes on the ropes or has someone on the ropes, he will disengage and go to the center.

I have to watch more of him but he does have a tell when he does the step around. Cant remember if its his feet or shoulders...
                          Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Notice how he brings the fighter back into the center of the ring right before the bell? Hes the only one ive seen do that and im not quite sure why. If hes on the ropes or has someone on the ropes, he will disengage and go to the center.

I have to watch more of him but he does have a tell when he does the step around. Cant remember if its his feet or shoulders...
                            I think he does it to make room. Good stuff, man. I'm gunna go back and watch some fights when I get a chance. I know he'll start using the jab to go right, and then go to the body or head off the straight. That sets up what he does later on. He'll start pivoting or stepping through off the straight. Most guys he's fighting will cover up, not realizing he's actually getting better position to throw.

Comment

• Dont have much time to elaborate but its a hop step type of movement. He turns sideways from his waist up and pulls both feet together. Seems like he prefers to go right from this position and throw a cross or hook followed by an uppercut. It seems like most fighters square up when this happens which either opens them them up for a shot to the side of the head or kidney.

If hes in front of you, you know he wants to pull you to the center to gain room and usually by the time the sidestep happens your by the ropes. Power can be generated by turning into the punch. When he sidesteps and turns...he making some good power

Edit....whoops you just said that lol
                              Glen Haven Fire

Comment

• Eleider Alvarez looked good last night. Adonis Stevenson is eventually going to have to fight Alvarez or Beterbiev. Alvarez can fight at range better than anyone Stevenson's ever been in with except for Dawson (and Alvarez has a better jab than Dawson). Beterbiev is a guy who can actually get away from Stevenson's left hand, and counter it with power. Hopefully one of these two fights get made before Stevenson is in his mid 40's, because I'm tired of watching him left hook people to death. It was cool the first 4 or 5 times, but after a while you start looking around and wondering why he's not in the ring with A list fighters. You have your promotional snags, and guys aren't exactly lining up to fight him, but what am I supposed to do with a guy who left hand KO's a B list fighter once a year and talks about how he's the best at 175?

Let's go down the list of power punchers he's ever faced...Darnell Boone, Tavoris Cloud, and Donovan George are the ones who jump out. He lost to one of them, and they have a combined 34 losses. Boone has 24, but he knocked Stevenson out, and also dropped Sergey Kovalev and Andre Ward. So the solution is simple. Let's put Stevenson in with Beterbiev and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X