Boxing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by armedequation View Post
    I like em both but have to agree with rod that if its close and goes to scorecard that ward wins. I dont think we see the same game plan from kov though
    If the rounds are close, it will all come down to whether or not the judges are scoring the fight the way they are supposed to. Who is slipping and blocking more effectively? Who is controlling range, and fighting on their terms? Whose punches have a more noticeable effect on the opponent? Is the fighter who is coming forward causing problems for the other fighter, or is he just chasing him around? In close fights, a professional judge is expected to know the difference, and make a determination based on these criteria.

I do think Kovalev should probably do a better job of controlling range when Ward jabs or ducks his way in, and then do a better job of walking him down when Ward moves. I think Ward would be a fool to try to come out and fight him on the outside again. He'll want to go to the body, and probably mix jabs to the head and body w/movement to get himself in position to do it. He might try to move, and make Kovalev miss early on, too.

Comment

• I like that part about the judges but it doesnt seem like thats case in enough fights where after watching the whole thing you sit there and say
      "Was that judge in the bathroom for a few rounds?

Do you happen to know if all judges are trained the same way? Are they reviewed and reprimanded? It took a fighter swearing up and down on tv worldwide to get olympic commitee to look into the judges...
      Glen Haven Fire

Comment

• I'm taking Kovalev tonight
        sigpic

Comment

I like that part about the judges but it doesnt seem like thats case in enough fights where after watching the whole thing you sit there and say
          "Was that judge in the bathroom for a few rounds?

Do you happen to know if all judges are trained the same way? Are they reviewed and reprimanded? It took a fighter swearing up and down on tv worldwide to get olympic commitee to look into the judges...
          The state athletic commissions evaluate the judges, and they do get suspended on rare occasions. Lara/Williams comes to mind. Olympic judging used to be very rudimentary. It was basically Compubox with two more judges. So it was far more obvious when they screwed up. Roy Jones Jr, for example. After '16 they adopted a system closer to professional scoring.

Comment

• Should be a No Contest. Rigo was countering the guy's right hand. What's he supposed to do, let the guy hit him after the bell?

And now the athletic commission look like dopes for not allowing the ref to go ahead with his No Contest decision. Roy is right, though. Dude was acting.
            Last edited by Spice 1; 06-17-2017, 08:28 PM.

Comment

• Bye, Felicia.

By the way Rod, you win the side bet. lol.

Comment

• How was the fight?
                Glen Haven Fire

Comment

How was the fight?
                  Ward did what was expected. He went to the body, and broke Kovalev down. Stoppage may or may not have been premature, but it was coming regardless. Personally, I'm not a ref, but I would've given Kovalev a count. He deserved that, but he was donzo. Kovalev threw a lot of straight punches, as he's accustomed to, so he landed a lot. He got countered a lot also, and whiffed a lot. That helped to gas him out. Played right into Ward's hands.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Sergey Kovalev is an absolute killer. Human beings are not supposed to be able to throw up jabs and knock people out with them. He's a great fighter, but he doesn't have levels like Ward does. I doubt that we'll get a trilogy, but it would be great to see. Stevenson won't get into the ring with these guys, and Beterbiev is still a few fights off. Gvozdyk is a long ways off. Ward could move up to cruiserweight, but who the hell cares about cruiserweight. If Kovalev wants a third fight, I say give it to him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
                    Bye, Felicia.

By the way Rod, you win the side bet. lol.
                    I thought you won since Kovalev lost? However, it was another controversial display of boxing with Ward apparently delivering multiple low blows and the referee not even opening a count to 10. If the referee had seen the low blows, Kovalev shoud have given 5 minutes to recover. It looked like he was able to continue the fight. I just can't stand boxing anymore in this current state.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                      I thought you won since Kovalev lost? However, it was another controversial display of boxing with Ward apparently delivering multiple low blows and the referee not even opening a count to 10. If the referee had seen the low blows, Kovalev shoud have given 5 minutes to recover. It looked like he was able to continue the fight. I just can't stand boxing anymore in this current state.
                      Nah. I made the bet on Compubox numbers and Kov stopping Ward. I knew the fight would be close and controversial if it went to the scorecards. I saw a scenario where ward could stop Kov, but I expected Kov to make adjustments. Ward went to the body earlier, and sat down on his punches more. The other thing he did different was throw the lead right hand, and with conviction. It looked like Kov had a fight plan in place to go to Ward's body, but he didn't keep it up. Like you said, there were some low blows in there. He could've given Kov 5 minutes, and I wouldn't have had a major problem with it. Like you said, a 10 or standing 8 count would've been appropriate also. At the end of the day, the accumulation of body punches, and Kov punching himself out set up the lead right hand that started the end for Kovalev.

Comment

• Ok. Watched some of the fight again today. During the prefight instructions, Kovalev's trunks are below the bellybutton. Weeks puts his hand on the lower portion of the belt line, and says anything there is good.

In the 7th round, Ward doubles Kovalev over with a body shot that was on the belt line, while Kov's trunks were above the bellybutton. All of the early body shots in the eight round were on the belt line, while Kovalev's trunks were above the bellybutton. In particular, Ward landed a left hook, right hook, and left hook on the belt line that again doubled Kovalev over. The first of the three shots at the end of the fight was on the beltline, w/Kov's trunks above the naval. The last two were very close, and I can't tell for sure due to the angle. They were very close, but it's clear to see that it was just a matter of time at that point. Kovalev was badly hurt to the body numerous times, and his punches had nothing on them. He tried to fight at a higher work rate in this fight, and expedited Ward's ability to break him down.

This doesn't change the fact that I think Weeks should've given Kovalev a standing 8, though.

Edit: Got around to finding the angle on the final punch that shows it was a low blow. Also, no standing 8 rule. Kovalev should've taken a knee, but the ropes were holding him up anyway. Weeks should've called a knock down or low blow there, rather than a stoppage IMO.
                        Last edited by Spice 1; 06-20-2017, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• I havent seen anything yet but you dont think 5 minutes for the last punch which ive heard was the really low blow would have been enough to recover enough to keep fighting? Im kinda upset that this fight sounds as controversial as the first...
                          Glen Haven Fire

Comment

I havent seen anything yet but you dont think 5 minutes for the last punch which ive heard was the really low blow would have been enough to recover enough to keep fighting? Im kinda upset that this fight sounds as controversial as the first...
                            Kov was hurt badly to the body in 7 and 8. 5 minutes would've helped him catch his breath, but the accumulation of big body punches had taken effect. If it was one big liver shot or something, that would've been one thing, but he took a lot of punishment in the latter rounds. I don't think he would've gone the distance. Maybe against an inexperienced fighter, but not against Ward.

The last two punches were probably low. I've only seen a good angle on the last one, but Kov was bending over to protect his body, and that was the main reason the punch landed so low. Believe it or not, this fight was less controversial. Kovalev came back and fought well in the last three rounds of the first fight. He was looking for an exit in this one. The reason I say Kovalev should've taken a knee after initially getting hurt to the body in the 8th round is that there was no standing 8 rule in effect, which I completely forgot about. Tony Weeks is then put in a position to call off the fight in the event that Kovalev doesn't appear to be protecting himself. The interesting thing to me, is that if he would've waited a second or so, Kovalev was held up by the ropes. He could've called a legitimate knockdown at that point.

Comment

• Thanks! Havent seen it so i will watch for those things when i get a chance to see it.

Bellew said hed fight ward but i dont think it would go well for him
                              Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Thanks! Havent seen it so i will watch for those things when i get a chance to see it.

Bellew said hed fight ward but i dont think it would go well for him
                                I don't think it would either, but it's a chance at a big pay day for Bellew. I guess I kind of see Ward moving up to Cruiserweight, and then coming back down. Definitely not HW, even though it's his dream to be HW Champ. He's right up at the LHW limit right now. That jump from 175 all the way up to 200 isn't as much of a big deal as coming back down is. So, I think a move to HW would be to win the lineal crown and retire. That means a collision course with Anthony Joshua, Wilder, or whoever has it when he's ready. Maybe that's his plan. Get CW, get HW, retire. Makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                                X