X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by armedequation View Post
    Good for teddy for saying that

And Stephen a admits teddy is completely right lol
    Well we at least got a good fight. Ok, Gennady. Time to fight Ward at a catchweight! lol. I know, it'll never happen, and we'll get a Canelo rematch. Golovkin will NEVER fight Andre Ward.

Comment

• So watching the fight live I had it a draw. I gave Canelo 1-3 & 10-12. With GGG dominating the middle rounds.

If it wasn't for that travesty of 118-110. A draw may have been the best thing for boxing and both fighters. GGG got his payday and kept his belts. The next PPV boxing superstar avoided a bad L. Now when they meet again in May with GGG slowing even more I fully expect Canelo to win, but GGG will always be my guy.

Shame on bad Judge, who basically made that great fight about her instead of what the fighters did in the ring.
      sigpic

Comment

• After watching it again im sticking with 8 to 4 or 7 to 5 for ggg. When ggg stayed with the jab canelo looked terrible trying to counter. It wasnt until ggg figured out that hecould walk through canelos punches that canelo was able to catch up with landed punches.

I cant score positively for a counter puncher if
        1) he doesnt counter - canelo repeatedly backed up to the ropes and stayed on the ropes without throwing. I kept urgeing him to throw counters from his shoulder roll away from ggg. It was thr clearest time he had an opportunity to rock ggg yet time and time again ggg was allowed to reset and start the process over.
        2)when you counter, you miss - this has partly to do with my first point. In those middle rounds when ggg wasnt willing to take a punch was when canelo couldnt score. He would push canelo to ropes, get his shots in and canelo would throw and miss while ggg was on his way out to reset.

I dont understand how canelo could remotely think he had ggg wobbled 3 times. The only time i saw him wobble was when he was off balance from his own punch. If you look at ggg eyes right after canelos big hits, he never looks stunned.

Add more later...
        Glen Haven Fire

Comment

After watching it again im sticking with 8 to 4 or 7 to 5 for ggg. When ggg stayed with the jab canelo looked terrible trying to counter. It wasnt until ggg figured out that hecould walk through canelos punches that canelo was able to catch up with landed punches.

I cant score positively for a counter puncher if
          1) he doesnt counter - canelo repeatedly backed up to the ropes and stayed on the ropes without throwing. I kept urgeing him to throw counters from his shoulder roll away from ggg. It was thr clearest time he had an opportunity to rock ggg yet time and time again ggg was allowed to reset and start the process over.
          2)when you counter, you miss - this has partly to do with my first point. In those middle rounds when ggg wasnt willing to take a punch was when canelo couldnt score. He would push canelo to ropes, get his shots in and canelo would throw and miss while ggg was on his way out to reset.

I dont understand how canelo could remotely think he had ggg wobbled 3 times. The only time i saw him wobble was when he was off balance from his own punch. If you look at ggg eyes right after canelos big hits, he never looks stunned.

Add more later...
          I agree about Canelo trying to catch and shoot off the ropes. GGG was very patient, and he outboxed Alvarez while he was trying to do that. That was textbook on what Foreman should've done to Ali. No doubt, that was part of GGG's fight plan. Not to let Alvarez bait him. In the center of the ring though, Alvarez completely outboxed Golovkin in my eyes. But that's where Alvarez's main weakness, his stamina, came into play. You watch Canelo on the heavybag, and I think that's very telling. The clips that are available are usually him working on specific combinations. While he's on the bag, he fights in spurts and takes breaks. I have all the respect in the world for Reynoso, but I wish they would do more high intensity training on the bag. Make him use his feet and move his head the whole time. That's how I was always told to do it. If your hands aren't moving, your feet and your head are. If your feet aren't moving, your hands and your head are, etc. Another thing that disappointed me was that Alvarez seemed to go away from the body at times. Regardless of how well Golovkin seemed to be taking those shots, it's the only chance he has of really hurting Golovkin.

My take on counterpunching, in relation to what you said, is that good defense scores in a round where the clean/effective punching is close. To your point, just being slick, and not throwing will lose you rounds if a guy is moving you around the ring as he pleases. Even if he throws away three punches to land a fourth, he's still winning the exchanges. That's the trick. Moving your head, like Canelo does at least, is going to make you tired anyway, so you have to take advantage of counterpunching opportunities. Throwing a punch after a slip is going to take away from your power to a degree, because you're off balance. This will work well against a fighter who doesn't have a good chin or reflexes(for a variety of reasons), but it won't work as effectively against a fighter like GGG. Countering with the punch is a different story. So say Canelo, who likes to slip and counter, tried to punch WITH GGG, he has a higher chance of doing damage, but higher risk as well. It also narrows the window on reaction time both ways. Risk/Reward.
          Last edited by Spice 1; 09-21-2017, 07:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
            So watching the fight live I had it a draw. I gave Canelo 1-3 & 10-12. With GGG dominating the middle rounds.

If it wasn't for that travesty of 118-110. A draw may have been the best thing for boxing and both fighters. GGG got his payday and kept his belts. The next PPV boxing superstar avoided a bad L. Now when they meet again in May with GGG slowing even more I fully expect Canelo to win, but GGG will always be my guy.

Shame on bad Judge, who basically made that great fight about her instead of what the fighters did in the ring.
            I still think GGG gets him in the rematch. He's old for boxing years, but his greatest attributes will still be there. Golovkin doesn't rely on speed, and doesn't burn a lot of energy when he fights. Unless Canelo really comes in with a great fight plan, I dunno. Barring some bad judging, of course.

Comment

• So Andre Ward just retired...

He said it was about not being able to give 100% anymore, but I think the fact that there's nobody out there for him to fight probably had something to do with it. Moving up to HW and fighting Joshua would've been asking a hell of a lot. middleweights had a hard time doing it before the era of larger heavyweights, and to do it now would've been incredible. Fighting anybody who naturally outweighs you by about 80lbs is crazy enough. Joshua is flawed, and I think he will get beat, but it'll likely come against a superheavyweight or cruiserweight who can box and move. There aren't many of those guys out there, and it looks like they're just going to have Joshua beat up Klitschko's left overs for the time being.

Sad day for me. I know there are a lot of people who hate Ward, and will be happy though.

Comment

• Canelo wouldnt stay in the middle though. Ggg defense is better than i thought as well. I understand why he didnt go to the body. Give props to canelo for his defense as well. Just felt like he didnt want to throw unless he had to...like in the last 3 rounds after his corner told him he was losing. Not that compubox is accurate but ggg dictated the fight and landed more punches in 10/12

If ggg fights someone else like saunders, id like to see canelo fight spence at a catchweight. Think 155 would be too big of a jump?

Did even see that about ward. Only hw ward could face imo would be bellew and that may be a stretch.
                Last edited by armedequation; 09-21-2017, 09:10 AM.
                Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Canelo wouldnt stay in the middle though. Ggg defense is better than i thought as well. I understand why he didnt go to the body. Give props to canelo for his defense as well. Just felt like he didnt want to throw unless he had to...like in the last 3 rounds after his corner told him he was losing. Not that compubox is accurate but ggg dictated the fight and landed more punches in 10/12

If ggg fights someone else like saunders, id like to see canelo fight spence at a catchweight. Think 155 would be too big of a jump?

Did even see that about ward. Only hw ward could face imo would be bellew and that may be a stretch.
                  Yeah, Canelo started gassing, and GGG was able to pressure him after three. That's what I mean about how Canelo slips punches. He makes very elongated movements. It worked against Golovkin, but that's part of why he got tired. You don't have to do all of that to stand in the pocket and slip. You can combine glove defense w/fundamental head movement (which isn't even head movement). Your head moves from torqueing your hips one way or the other. Grant it, professional fighters all have their own way of doing it, and it works for them, but that's the barney style fundamental way of doing it.

I do think moving up to 155 to fight Alvarez would be too much for Spence. Not that it couldn't happen though. Spence has shown that he can be a smart, patient fighter, and he goes to the body as well as anyone.

Ward would own Bellew. You gotta trust me on that one. He doesn't even want to waste his time on that fight, because it really wouldn't do anything for him legacy wise. Idt Bellew wants to fight him anyway. Not enough money in getting whipped. Ward could've moved up and beaten a lot of heavyweights, most cruiserweights, but the only end game that made sense was the lineal HW championship. So, this retirement doesn't surprise me. Still think it would've been great to see Ward/Stevenson though. I do believe though, if Kovalev's head's right, he'll go back to dominating the LHW division. I can totally see him having an incredible resurgence in the end of his career, and going down as a top 20 AT LHW. As long as he recovers psychologically from the Ward fights.

Comment

• Yeah i def believe you about ward vs bellew. I wouldnt pay for that fight

Spence strikes me as a bigger guy for 147 vs say thurman.
                    I believe at this point if canelo were to face a charlo hed win vs either.

Last rant about byrd. I heard teddys rant to stephan a. I also have heard to not let one judge ruin the fight. It does ruin it though. Im well versed in bad judging as ive been a pac fan for most of his career. To me having someone that inept at their job at the highest level tell me they dont give a darn. Dont give me "she had bad day" as a lame excuse of why shes a poor judge. How much do they get paid? Sorry i dont mean paid off either. I paid for a product that was tainted. As a boxer it would give me the ko mentality thats for sure.
                    Phew sorry, theres more rant but ill save that lol

Different note at this point who do you have winning dec 8th?
                    Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Yeah i def believe you about ward vs bellew. I wouldnt pay for that fight

Spence strikes me as a bigger guy for 147 vs say thurman.
                      I believe at this point if canelo were to face a charlo hed win vs either.

Last rant about byrd. I heard teddys rant to stephan a. I also have heard to not let one judge ruin the fight. It does ruin it though. Im well versed in bad judging as ive been a pac fan for most of his career. To me having someone that inept at their job at the highest level tell me they dont give a darn. Dont give me "she had bad day" as a lame excuse of why shes a poor judge. How much do they get paid? Sorry i dont mean paid off either. I paid for a product that was tainted. As a boxer it would give me the ko mentality thats for sure.
                      Phew sorry, theres more rant but ill save that lol

Different note at this point who do you have winning dec 8th?
                      I probably have a weird take on it. I'm completely desensitized to corrupt or bad judging, and I've gotten to the point that I just ignore it. So when I'm talking about a fight like Pac/Bradley, I never even consider for a moment that Bradley officially won the first fight. It's like I hit the delete button on decisions like that.

I've always said Loma would beat him, but I haven't really, really thought about it yet. It wouldn't shock me if Rigo did beat him, but the added weight difference could be a big deal in this fight.

I'd like to see Golovkin fight Charlo, tbh.

Comment

• I havent watched enough of rigo to know any better. Charlos as well for that matter. To my knowledge neither charlo has faced anyone close to canelo or gggs level. Might not mean much in the long run, just something of note right now.
                        Glen Haven Fire

Comment

I havent watched enough of rigo to know any better. Charlos as well for that matter. To my knowledge neither charlo has faced anyone close to canelo or gggs level. Might not mean much in the long run, just something of note right now.
                          Jermall beat Trout, but yeah. Nobody like what Golovkin is. Saunders/Golovkin makes zero sense to me. Let's say he fights Saunders, and that proves that he can beat a slicker, southpaw version of Daniel Geale. I've never seen Golovkin fight a tall fighter w/a good jab, who knows how to control range. Murray was tall, has a decent jab, but he doesn't maintain range. He just jumps in and out all the time, and lets fighters walk right into him. Jacobs qualifies as a tall MW, who has a good enough jab primarily because of his reach. He's still not a mover, and compared to Charlo, is slow. In the handspeed department, Murray and Jacobs are both slow compared to Charlo. So let's see that fight. Nope. They'd rather serve up a big name who has no shot of beating GGG. I think what will most likely happen is that Golovkin and Alvarez go straight to the rematch. Saunders wants to fight in December anyway.

Comment

• Ahh forgot about trout. I will try to watch that one today along withthe rigo donaire fight.
                            Glen Haven Fire

Comment

• Rigo better not expect loma to sit in front of him all night like donaire did. Ive only seen a couple rounds of that fight but loma moves more in 15 seconds than donaire did in the first round.

If charlo spars with spence then i want to see him fight either canelo or ggg

Eta: check that. I want spence to fight canelo and charlo to fight gggs
                              Last edited by armedequation; 10-17-2017, 05:38 PM.
                              Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Rigo better not expect loma to sit in front of him all night like donaire did. Ive only seen a couple rounds of that fight but loma moves more in 15 seconds than donaire did in the first round.

If charlo spars with spence then i want to see him fight either canelo or ggg
                                Donaire couldn't figure Rigo out at all. You're right. Loma is a different situation entirely. Donaire used to use his speed and set up that left hook. Rigo took it away almost immediately.

Did you see what Jermell did to Lubin? Holy crap man.

Last edited by Spice 1; 10-17-2017, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X