No announcement yet.

Boxing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had to chuckle when lomas manager seemed to want no part of facing pac. Saying things like facing pac doesnt do anything and why doesnt he go after garcia. Going back down in weight is the only way i believe pac can be competative anymore.

Interesting how spence downplayed fighting craw
    Glen Haven Fire

Comment

• Originally posted by armedequation View Post
      I had to chuckle when lomas manager seemed to want no part of facing pac. Saying things like facing pac doesnt do anything and why doesnt he go after garcia. Going back down in weight is the only way i believe pac can be competative anymore.

Interesting how spence downplayed fighting craw
      If they're talking Danny G, I don't see a point to that for Manny. The fight supposedly isn't happening any time soon though, I guess. The main reason was the weight, which I don't fully buy unless Manny can't make it. It seems like they have a strict plan for Loma, and they're sticking to it. Of course, they'll take a detour for Rigo, who was smaller, but not Pac, who is bigger.

Spence controlled Peterson early, and all night really, with the jab. He's got a good jab, and he loves to range find and control range with it. He would come off the jab and shoot to the body hard early. Started mixing in hard single shots upstairs, and light single shots upstairs finishing with hard body shots. Led with the left hand a lot later on too. Gradually ramped up combinations. Spence does hit really hard. It's not just the body punches. He likes to hop step backwards while range finding with the jab, and hop steps left and right. He pivots well, too.

Idt Spence is unbeatable. He does have weaknesses. Right hand leads, and counters land. He's a free puncher, who puts his body into shots, and he squares up when he throws the left hand. He likes to pull back a lot. A tall orthodox fighter with his own jab, who can also control range, would give him problems, I think. Still haven't seen anybody really try to fight laterally, and attack him left yet. Kind of surprised Peterson didn't try it. I just wonder how good Spence's check right hook is, or even how he reacts to it. Would also like to see someone try to slap his right hand away with the left hand wile stepping in, and throwing the overhand right. Spence is sort of predictable, as he'll usually hop step back.

Comment

• I think he meant mike garcia as he said 140. Regardless i dont know if i care to see pac fight as horn showed that hes done. I dont see horn lasting much past 6 against craw. Id rather see craw vs thurman right now but thurman made it clear that hes taking it easy this year.
        Glen Haven Fire

Comment

I think he meant mike garcia as he said 140. Regardless i dont know if i care to see pac fight as horn showed that hes done. I dont see horn lasting much past 6 against craw. Id rather see craw vs thurman right now but thurman made it clear that hes taking it easy this year.
          Yeah, Thurman is lined up with a Porter rematch, Jessie Vargas, or Matthysse. That's what I heard. They'd all be quality fights...except maybe Porter II. Don't know if I really want to see that. Jessie Vargas would really test Thurman.

Honestly man, Idk is Horn gets to 6. I guess it would depend on how Crawford fights him.

M. Garcia/Loma is the fight I'm ready for right now, I guess. I've been watching a ton of Loma's fights in slo mo lately (watching the newborn's got me living on television and the internet). It blows my mind how much of Roy Jones Jr that Loma built his style on. When you really watch Loma you start to see the similarities, but Loma basically took a lot of the principles and did his own thing with it. Like you would say, Loma will constantly bob left to right (Roy used to do this with footwork), getting reactions with the lead hand the whole time, but threatening lead foot dominance. RJJ would do the same thing, but not as deliberately. He would quickly show a maneuver to the left, but pull back watching for a reaction. Loma will literally lay on the right side sometimes, but he waits until he's already established his jab. Roy would pull back, and throw the overhand left to counter the lead hand. Loma will actually lead with it, but they're both doing it for the same purpose. In Loma's case, he's gradually clearing a path to the right side, which he set's up by forcing his opponent to cover up. Roy was basically making his opponent think about it. Roy liked to throw the right hand. Roy had all the fast twitch in the world, and unloaded the double and triple left hooks with ease, but he was all about the right hand, IMO. Loma throws a lot of lead lefts, but he really wants to press the attack to the lead foot.

Comment

• Newborn? Congrats! Hope all is well and good on that front!

Yeah if i were thurman it would be jesse or lucas.

I give horn 6 only because i think he tries to fight craw like he fought pac.

Mikey will be a very good fight for loma to take. He hasnt fought anyone thats been able to time him right. Mikey might be able to. He seems to be able to figure out his opponents pretty quickly. Maybe counter when he tries pivoting to the right.

Most def took a lot of game from roy. Roy was most punishing when he made you miss so bad and then you got hit on top of it. Demoralizing and punishing
            Last edited by armedequation; 01-31-2018, 07:23 PM.
            Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Newborn? Congrats! Hope all is well and good on that front!

Yeah if i were thurman it would be jesse or lucas.

I give horn 6 only because i think he tries to fight craw like he fought pac.

Mikey will be a very good fight for loma to take. He hasnt fought anyone thats been able to time him right. Mikey might be able to. He seems to be able to figure out his opponents pretty quickly. Maybe counter when he tries pivoting to the right.

Most def took a lot of game from roy. Roy was most punishing when he made you miss so bad and then you got hit on top of it. Demoralizing and punishing
              Thanks. She's a pretty good kid...so far.

I haven't even really thought much about how Garcia would approach him. The conventional wisdom I keep hearing is a tall fighter who can jab with him at range. That makes a lot of sense, because he wants to force your hand with his own probing jab. The big one for me is being unpredictable. I think that's the first thing you have to do with him. You can't fall into any rhythm against him, and you have to dictate to him. It's easier said than done, though. Nicholas Walters has a very long reach for his size, and tried to give him a taste of his own medicine by getting lead foot dominance. Loma had all the answers, and Walters quit.

Comment

• It may be less about leading and more about baiting him into your timing
                Glen Haven Fire

Comment

It may be less about leading and more about baiting him into your timing
                  I can see Crawford doing something like that. Plus, Crawford can fight Southpaw with an open stance extremely well, which to a small degree limits what he Loma wants to do. Crawford can also fight on the move, and at range. Problem is a Crawford/Loma matchup is highly unlikely now.

It's hard to bait Loma into mistakes, because he's very cautious and doesn't leave himself open defensively when he does make mistakes. He's really, really good at smothering and slipping out of range. That's the problem with waiting for him. If a guy like past his prime Pacquiao lets him get off, he's dead in the water, because he doesn't move like he used to. Loma will force a high guard, then smother, touch, and move. He blinds you to what he's doing, and he takes away the ability to counter or lead, because not only is he relocating to one side, but he's blocking your hand to that side. Sometimes he even pulls the hand down to open up a shot to that side. Loma has all the tricks.

My personal take on it, is fight him at range, keeping a jab on him and moving. You have to be unpredictable (IE random right hands). I would actually try fighting him with the lead hand down and a lot of head and foot movement, picking moments to press or stand and fight. From an Orthodox standpoint, I would say put emphasis on making him respect the lead foot with sudden movement. He'll counter you with an overhand right, or right hook to the body if you just try to waltz over there. When I've seen guys try this, sometimes he'll back straight away instead of reverse pivoting or sliding out the side door, and that's where you need to press the attack. None of those guys really did. He does take lead lefts from Southpaws and lead rights from Orthodox fighters, but it's not something I've seen guys be able to follow up on.

All that said, I don't think Mikey can beat him. Mikey is such a smart fighter, with enough power to make it really interesting, though. Garcia will adjust, where a lot of the guys Loma is fighting can't figure anything out. They get past plan B, and it's over. In Rigo's case, it was plan A. Rigo never had to go to plan B before. He just assumed that plan A would be good enough, and he was so wrong. He played right into Loma's hands.

Comment

• So garcia beat rios. From what i hear it wasnt anything great by garcia. Just rios was overmatched.

If arum waits any longer, there wont be much of pac left to fight.

Imo thurman better fight more than once this year and it doesnt look like that will be the case.
                    Glen Haven Fire

Comment

So garcia beat rios. From what i hear it wasnt anything great by garcia. Just rios was overmatched.

If arum waits any longer, there wont be much of pac left to fight.

Imo thurman better fight more than once this year and it doesnt look like that will be the case.
                      Thurman will probably fight Granados. He's already said that it likely won't be a top guy for his tune up. Granados fights hard, and shows well on national television. After that, we'll see.

I really can't stand Arum right now. Pac and Matthysse wanted to get it on, but he forced Alvarado. Alvarado has been making a surprising comeback, so it's not all that bad, but it feels to me like he's setting Pac up to get slaughtered by Crawford in a cash out scenario. They haven't ruled out Matthysse, but that's probably just a load of crap.

Spence has been ordered to defend against Carlos Ocampo, but Ocampo is probably not ready for that fight. So I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being Ugas, who's also been making a comeback.

I'm starting to think Garcia/Porter is inevitable. I know Matthysse probably wants another crack at Garcia though, and Matthysse has a piece of the WBA, so there's still some incentive for Garcia to consider that fight.

This leaves Vargas and Matthysse, and that fight was already almost made less than a year ago. It still makes a ton of sense, but the monkey wrench is Devon Alexander, who could wind up fighting one of Vargas, Matthysse, or Peterson. Remember Alexander beat Matthysse a while back, and he looks the best he's been in years. Opioid addiction makes total sense looking back on his most recent fights. They guy fell off a cliff. He definitely beat Ortiz, and a rematch is pointless.

Comment

• That Wilder/Ortiz fight though...bananas. lol. wow.

Comment

• Was it a good one? How do you think he will do against joshua? Or parker? Which one should happen first?

I dont know if id go as far as hearn did in saying that brook would have spences number. Course it didnt take much for brook to think hes unbeatable at 154.

I wouldve actually have liked to have seen omar vs broner

To
                          Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Was it a good one? How do you think he will do against joshua? Or parker? Which one should happen first?

I dont know if id go as far as hearn did in saying that brook would have spences number. Course it didnt take much for brook to think hes unbeatable at 154.

I wouldve actually have liked to have seen omar vs broner

To
                            I think Figueroa would've worked Broner. Idk how much passion AB has left for it, tbh. I think it was always something he didn't take serious enough. Now, with the sexual battery charge looming over him, I just don't know about his future in the sport. Figueroa's last fight was really disappointing too. Guerrero seemed like he was there for the paycheck. It was his last fight, and Guerrero had turned into an all inside fighter at that point. Too many wars. He kept his head right on the centerline, and ate upper after upper. It was hard to watch. So I STILL haven't seen Figueroa truly tested yet. Hope to soon.

Brook is probably a different story at Junior Middle, but that stuff about Spence is nonsense. That weight isn't going to hold his face together when Spence puts it on him like he did at welter. Spence is too much for him at any weight. Brook's a good fighter, and he was doing a lot of good stuff early against Spence, I don't see it. Spence doesn't have a reason to leave welter anyway.

Wilder/Ortiz was fight of the year so far, IMO. It wasn't exactly a display of boxing, and it never is with Wilder, but you get what you pay for. Big ass overhand right's that I'm convinced are every bit as good as Lennox Lewis' were. Ortiz was completely outboxing him, and he clobbered Ortiz with one good one in the middle rounds that completely changed the fight. Ortiz came back, and had him stumbling around the ring. Wilder came super close to getting stopped, but survived the round. Then, he clipped Ortiz with some more right hands, and that was that. It was very reminiscent of Joshua/Klitschko. Wilder is in great shape, and that's the big difference between he and Joshua. Klitschko has never been a killer, and he let Joshua survive. Joshua was out of gas. Joshua is clearly the better boxer between the two, but Wilder has a great combination of stamina, chin, and the equalizing right hand. The fight plan for Wilder would be pretty straight forward. Take Joshua into the later rounds. But Wilder still has a lot of work to do before I think he should fight AJ. He has to do a better job of creating angles and maintaining distance than he did against Ortiz. Otherwise, he won't get to those later rounds. If he gets past five with AJ, I think he wins, though.

UPDATE: So Vargas gets Broner now. Vargas had been looking for a big name opponent, and lucked out with Figueroa getting hurt. I think Vargas wins.
                            Last edited by Spice 1; 03-06-2018, 07:56 AM.

Comment

• Sorry with the broncos offseason and the kids, ive neglected boxing lol. I saw that garcia beat lipenets. Did you get to watch that at all?

Went off the deep end a couple of times at 3am and made my own mock drafts lol
                              Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Sorry with the broncos offseason and the kids, ive neglected boxing lol. I saw that garcia beat lipenets. Did you get to watch that at all?

Went off the deep end a couple of times at 3am and made my own mock drafts lol
                                Lipinets is pretty good. Very well trained. Garcia's toughest opponent so far by a mile. I think Mikey is nuts for wanting to move up to WW. He doesn't even have the power as SLW. He dropped Lipinets with a left hook, but Lipinets lead with an uppercut, and didn't bring his glove back to his face, because he was concentrating on setting up his own left hook. Kind of a dumb thing to do against Mikey Garcia. Easy for me to say, though. I know I wouldn't be leading with uppercuts, at least. Point is though, unless a true, quality WW does something stupid, Mikey isn't going to be forcing them to respect him. He doesn't have the power, and that changes the way he has to fight. It's not a good idea, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X