Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxing Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Due you think kovalev changed due to change training or something else?

    Thurman better be glad that he escaped. He didnt show an ability to adapt to what was taking place. He fights like that against pac even now and he may not make it out. I say that with the notion that pac didnt impress me much in his last fight.
    Glen Haven Fire

    Comment


    • Originally posted by armedequation View Post
      Due you think kovalev changed due to change training or something else?

      Thurman better be glad that he escaped. He didnt show an ability to adapt to what was taking place. He fights like that against pac even now and he may not make it out. I say that with the notion that pac didnt impress me much in his last fight.
      His post fight interview was pretty revealing. He said that he got back to what carried him through the amateurs. During the fight, he relied a lot on straight punches at range. When Eleider covered up, he aggressed and finished with the right hook. Kov isn't much of an inside fighter at all, and doesn't have great stamina anaerobically. Those things got him into trouble in has last couple fights. Fighting smarter and not harder was the key. Alvarez didn't really set anything up with the jab, and Kov was snapping Eleider's head back throughout the fight.

      Kov did something that I think really threw Alvarez off, by fighting with a high guard, and then switching back to his up jab. When he throws the up jab, it's a sledge hammer. When he shoots it from a high guard it's more of a foil. Mixing it up, I think kept Alvarez guessing. The difference in speed and angle caused Alvarez to take some punishing jabs as the fight went on. At times Kov fought on the ball of his back foot instead of his traditional flat footed power stance. Don't think Alvarez saw any of that coming.

      I watched the Thurman fight again, and I did see him do some things I don't remember ever seeing him do in the past. I think he is getting better, but he needs to if he's going to take on the top Welters. My comment about attack angles was a bit off, I think, because he was more varied than in past fights. He did mix combinations up well early in the fight also, so I was a bit unfair on that assessment. At one point, he threw a range finder jab, fainted, dipped, and threw a power jab that landed well, and I never saw him do that before. He's definitely got the athleticism and brains to beat the top guys. Just has to put it all together.

      Comment


      • Do you think kovs success can continue? In a way im happy that kovalev won. Was pretty disappointed in the way he lost to ward and alvarez

        With thurman the pressure got to him but that was straightforward pressure. Pac comes at wierd angles and i dont know how thurman will react to that
        Glen Haven Fire

        Comment


        • Originally posted by armedequation View Post
          Do you think kovs success can continue? In a way im happy that kovalev won. Was pretty disappointed in the way he lost to ward and alvarez

          With thurman the pressure got to him but that was straightforward pressure. Pac comes at wierd angles and i dont know how thurman will react to that
          It would be hella fun to watch. Thurman's a moving target, and Manny, though he doesn't do it as much as he used to, will do a lot of things off the same look. You don't know if he's stepping off, stepping back, or attacking. It takes a ton of stamina to fight the way Pac used to, and he wouldn't have to as much with Thurman. Thurman's not going to stand still like Broner.

          There are some seriously good easterners at light heavy now. Gvozdyk, Beterbiev, and Bivol are all game. Sergey mentioned Bivol after the Alvarez fight. Bivol is the guy Alvarez was in line to fight, and may still be.

          Comment


          • Man...Leo Santa Cruz is awesome. He's becoming my favorite fighter right now. The guy's a better boxer than people give him credit for, and that left hook to the body is a van Goh.

            Comment


            • Who you got winning spence garcia spice? Not a fight im willing to fork over 75 for....
              Im leaning towards spence if for no other reason than i think he can carry his energy throughout the fight. Not sure if garcia can in this weight class
              Glen Haven Fire

              Comment


              • Originally posted by armedequation View Post
                Who you got winning spence garcia spice? Not a fight im willing to fork over 75 for....
                Im leaning towards spence if for no other reason than i think he can carry his energy throughout the fight. Not sure if garcia can in this weight class
                Is it 75? That sucks, because the undercard stinks. I really, really want to see this fight though. I'll probably get it. Spence is the favorite, but I'm a huge Garcia fan, so that's who I'm rooting for. I have a great appreciation for both fighters though. Whoever wins this fight will have a legitimate claim to #1 P4P. Right up there with Loma and Canelo.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
                  Is it 75? That sucks, because the undercard stinks. I really, really want to see this fight though. I'll probably get it. Spence is the favorite, but I'm a huge Garcia fan, so that's who I'm rooting for. I have a great appreciation for both fighters though. Whoever wins this fight will have a legitimate claim to #1 P4P. Right up there with Loma and Canelo.
                  That was according to dish.

                  I give high props to garcia for moving up amd challenging spence. Have to wonder if spences management wouldve taken thefight if mikey didnt come from the weight class he came from. The salido fight with mikey is what made me ask the question about whether mikey can last though. Spence throws some mean body punches. Im not rooting one way or another but it would be nice if they set the bar high for fights the rest of the year. Fury-wilder so far has that and it still kinda left me going meh.

                  Bivol smith jr tonight may be an interesting one
                  Glen Haven Fire

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by armedequation View Post
                    That was according to dish.

                    I give high props to garcia for moving up amd challenging spence. Have to wonder if spences management wouldve taken thefight if mikey didnt come from the weight class he came from. The salido fight with mikey is what made me ask the question about whether mikey can last though. Spence throws some mean body punches. Im not rooting one way or another but it would be nice if they set the bar high for fights the rest of the year. Fury-wilder so far has that and it still kinda left me going meh.

                    Bivol smith jr tonight may be an interesting one
                    I guess Bivol beat him pretty good on the cards. He said it was a tough fight though. Did you watch Porter/Ugas? Super close. Could've gone either way. Porter had to actually box.

                    Comment


                    • From everything ive read spence work to garcias body has sapped garcia of power. Credit garcia for hanging in though. Did you end up buying the fight spice?
                      Glen Haven Fire

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by armedequation View Post
                        From everything ive read spence work to garcias body has sapped garcia of power. Credit garcia for hanging in though. Did you end up buying the fight spice?
                        Much respect to Mikey for moving up in weight and fighting Spence. I think he saw that Errol tends to overcommit at times, and tried to counter off of that. Spence didn't give it to him tonight. He controlled range very well off his jab, and retreated very well off his own work. Spence fights like a fencer, and he has great balance and range control when he's conscientious of his defense. Because Mikey's smaller, and not really fast with his feet, he couldn't make up the ground fast enough to counter him. Errol threw the left straight, hooked it upstairs, and downstairs. He kept Mikey guessing, and then he brought the right hook behind it. You have to give Spence angles to beat him. No doubt about that.

                        I think Mikey might go back down in weight now. Eventually, I'd like to see him fight Loma. Spence should get Pac. Don't see any reason not to do it at this point.

                        Comment


                        • At this point do you think that would be a good fight though? I honestly havent seen pac fight lately and his style would definitely cause spence problems but at this point in pacs career? If this was a while ago i wouldve given the edge to pac. Im not sure that pac has that kind of power now. Definitely not saying spence wins as spence has never fought anyone close to pac. I just dont know if pac has the speed and power still...
                          I would definitely buy that fight with that being said.

                          Also i agree, props to mikey for stepping up for this fight. If spence couldnt drop him, lomas got a heck of a hard fight on his hands. Mikey may have a difficult time with lomas movement but i dont see loma dropping him
                          Last edited by armedequation; 03-16-2019, 11:30 PM.
                          Glen Haven Fire

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by armedequation View Post
                            At this point do you think that would be a good fight though? I honestly havent seen pac fight lately and his style would definitely cause spence problems but at this point in pacs career? If this was a while ago i wouldve given the edge to pac. Im not sure that pac has that kind of power now. Definitely not saying spence wins as spence has never fought anyone close to pac. I just dont know if pac has the speed and power still...
                            I would definitely buy that fight with that being said.

                            Also i agree, props to mikey for stepping up for this fight. If spence couldnt drop him, lomas got a heck of a hard fight on his hands. Mikey may have a difficult time with lomas movement but i dont see loma dropping him
                            Pac's still got his power, but Spence is a real WW. He's a WW who can box, has power, and a chin. Spence has a mastery of range control, but also likes to bang. Very good tactical fighter. It's an enormous ask for Pac at his age to beat Spence. One thing Pac has that Mikey doesn't is mobility, though. I think that where Spence/Garcia was tactical, Spence/Pacquiao could be fireworks.

                            The post fight was interesting. Spence called Pac over, and Pac was like, "Sure, yeah. Hey, let's fight, I guess. Why not?" Then Spence said some other stuff, and Pac was like, "Ok, cool story bros." And he walked off. And Spence thanked Mikey for bringing in his fans before saying something like Shawn Porter couldn't sell out a family dinner. lmao. Porter was there as an analyst for Showtime.

                            Comment


                            • Hope pac listens to the fans and the money involved over his want for retribution on may. I dont see spence landing body shots on pac like he did on mikey. He will have a lot harder time controlling distance with pac too as long as pac uses his movement to cut off the ring. I highly doubt pac was in attendance if he didnt have some interest in that fight.

                              I will say this...id pay for pac vs spence and id pay for mikey vs loma. I wont pay a dime for spence vs porter or pac vs porter. I did see that spence said hed be ready in july for pac but i dont see that fight happening that quick even though id like it to.

                              Just based on thurmans last fight, he shouldnt want anything to do with pac right now. Think he would need another fight before that would happen
                              Glen Haven Fire

                              Comment


                              • https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6qbwiu

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X