No announcement yet.

NBA Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was the last FA to head north to TOR?

Carmelo traded to ATL, where he will be bought out. Any chance the LAL pair him with LBJ? Or will he go to HOU?
    Last edited by HUMCALC; 07-19-2018, 04:05 PM.
    "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

• Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
      Who was the last FA to head north to TOR?

Carmelo traded to ATL, where he will be bought out. Any chance the LAL pair him with LBJ? Or will he go to HOU?
      Not sure, but Lowry and DeRozan both made points of wanting to stay, which is different than Carter and Bosh who both chose to leave.

It could also be noted that Toronto is a favourite road destination of a lot of NBA players, LeBron always is out and throwing parties in Toronto. I believe he threw one there this year during a Cavs break when they weren't in Toronto. Charles Barkley also continually raves about the city whenever he gets the chance. Here's a story about Lebron being up in Toronto for a weekend during the summer. He goes there for the Caribana Festival.

https://www.blogto.com/city/2017/08/...ronto-weekend/

At this point Leonard has said he'll be at camp and will play the season in Toronto, and that he's warmed up to being on a contender in the East. Now it's up to Toronto to show him he needs to stay. Being Canada's team may help, since that opens up Canada wide endorsement deals.

Comment

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
        Not sure, but Lowry and DeRozan both made points of wanting to stay, which is different than Carter and Bosh who both chose to leave.

It could also be noted that Toronto is a favourite road destination of a lot of NBA players, LeBron always is out and throwing parties in Toronto. I believe he threw one there this year during a Cavs break when they weren't in Toronto. Charles Barkley also continually raves about the city whenever he gets the chance. Here's a story about Lebron being up in Toronto for a weekend during the summer. He goes there for the Caribana Festival.

https://www.blogto.com/city/2017/08/...ronto-weekend/

At this point Leonard has said he'll be at camp and will play the season in Toronto, and that he's warmed up to being on a contender in the East. Now it's up to Toronto to show him he needs to stay. Being Canada's team may help, since that opens up Canada wide endorsement deals.
        If Ujiri can somehow add another piece to this roster, Leonard might find out he's on a serious, serious contender. I have to believe The Raptors will be either favoured or near the top in The East again this year. But I like their playoff chances better already. They are better built for the postseason as we speak.

Comment

• Everyone's assuming that Leonard is going to be the same player that he was, what if he isn't?
          "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Everyone's assuming that Leonard is going to be the same player that he was, what if he isn't?
            Pretty sure Ujiri and company took a close look at his medical situation, and have been apprised of how he is doing. Looks like he is ready to resume where he left off. These dudes are big on due diligence. Too much at risk here to do otherwise. Leonard's ready to go.

Comment

• Considering the Nuggets’ draft pick just had another back surgery, I wouldn’t assume the Raptors know for sure that Kawhi Leonard will be ready to go and be just as good as before.

There could be things that Leonard’s doctors missed. Which would be a bit of amusement considering this whole mess started with him accusing the Spurs’ team doctors of misdiagnosing him.
              Last edited by broncolee; 07-21-2018, 07:01 AM.
              My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
              You Mad Bro?
              Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

• Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                Considering the Nuggets’ draft pick just had another back surgery, I wouldn’t assume the Raptors know for sure that Khawi Leonard will be ready to go and be just as good as before.

There could be things that Leonard’s doctors missed. Which would be a bit of amusement considering this whole mess started with him accusing the Spurs’ team doctors of misdiagnosing him.
                If I'm not mistaken what I read this morning was that Porter always knew this second surgery was coming. They said his doctors told him up front when it all began he would need another. His father also believes he can still be ready by the start of the season. So I think they are choosing to do it now to get it done with. I don't think that's quite the same as Leanords doctors missing possibly missing something.

Either way no disrespect to Can but I don't really buy Toronto being able to convince leanord to stay and he'll be gone probably to the Clippers in 1 year. I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong though. The road is still easier in the east so that may entice him. But what does it matter if you get swept in the finals?
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                  If I'm not mistaken what I read this morning was that Porter always knew this second surgery was coming. They said his doctors told him up front when it all began he would need another. His father also believes he can still be ready by the start of the season. So I think they are choosing to do it now to get it done with. I don't think that's quite the same as Leanords doctors missing possibly missing something.

Either way no disrespect to Can but I don't really buy Toronto being able to convince leanord to stay and he'll be gone probably to the Clippers in 1 year. I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong though. The road is still easier in the east so that may entice him. But what does it matter if you get swept in the finals?
                  DB.....I am not thinking that keeping Leonard is going to be easy, if at all possible. My dialogue was just to say that I believe he will see that TO is a great city with great fans, and he may even end up in the NBA final with this squad. But all bets are off after year one...if we get even that far.

Comment

• Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post

Very likely, but the Raptors had serious internal conversations about starting a rebuild this offseason. They feel they were as close as that team could get. Now they've bought themselves another year of contention (assuming he's healthy) and freed up a lot of cash next offseason to start that rebuild. They've put a clock on themselves. If Leonard makes a big difference and has a change of heart, they keep going. If not they just do what they were thinking of doing already.

Comment

• Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                      Considering the Nuggets’ draft pick just had another back surgery, I wouldn’t assume the Raptors know for sure that Khawi Leonard will be ready to go and be just as good as before.

Isaiah Thomas was an MVP candidate and then became a scrub who is going from team to team the year after, after dealing with a hip injury. Derrick Rose is a shell of himself due to injuries. Etc.

The NBA is weird in that it seems like big stars become nothing overnight and then the next crop of big stars come in and do the exact same thing. Outside of the very top elite players it seems to be a league with heavy turnover of stars every couple of years.

It's a risk, but when he was healthy he was great, so it's a calculated risk.

Comment

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                        Isaiah Thomas was an MVP candidate and then became a scrub who is going from team to team the year after, after dealing with a hip injury. Derrick Rose is a shell of himself due to injuries. Etc.

The NBA is weird in that it seems like big stars become nothing overnight and then the next crop of big stars come in and do the exact same thing. Outside of the very top elite players it seems to be a league with heavy turnover of stars every couple of years.

It's a risk, but when he was healthy he was great, so it's a calculated risk.
                        Definitely agree on Rose. He relied a lot on his athleticism. Thomas, I expect to get back to 100, and be the same player. He's a 6th man, instant offense guy, who bounced around early until he got into a good situation in Boston. I think the Nuggets know how to use him, and I think he'll be very good for them. Comparable to the Jet and Cassell. A better version of Nate Robinson. Where Kawhi is concerned, I have wondered if part of his grievance is about the Spurs training staff feeding him misinformation to come back too early. Grant Hill is the cautionary tale on playing through an injury, and coming back too early. It's fitting, because Hill was a similar player. I think that because of Kawhi's apparent concern for his longevity, he'll be better off long term.

Comment

• Classy, warm message from DeRozan to Toronto (and beyond):

Words could never express what you’ve meant to me. I was just a 19 year old kid from Compton when we first met, but you took me in and embraced me as one of your own. I am so grateful for the Love and Passion that you’ve given me over the past 9 years. All I ever wanted to do was duplicate it 10x over just to show my appreciation. Thank you Toronto, thank you Canada.

Pulling for you in San Antonio!!

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                            Classy, warm message from DeRozan to Toronto (and beyond):

Words could never express what you’ve meant to me. I was just a 19 year old kid from Compton when we first met, but you took me in and embraced me as one of your own. I am so grateful for the Love and Passion that you’ve given me over the past 9 years. All I ever wanted to do was duplicate it 10x over just to show my appreciation. Thank you Toronto, thank you Canada.

Pulling for you in San Antonio!!
                            That is indeed pretty classy. to him!
                            *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                            *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                            *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

• CLE re-signed Love to a 4 year, $120 Million deal. Does this mean that they're trading him?

Comment

CLE re-signed Love to a 4 year, $120 Million deal. Does this mean that they're trading him?
                                The talk seems to be that he’s part of a plan to remain relevant.
                                My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                                You Mad Bro?
                                Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Working...
                                X