NBA Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

It was Matt Devlin the team's play by play broadcaster who is employed by the team and broadcasts the games on both TSN and Sportsnet who together own 75% of MLSE between the two of them. He was having fun with it, in a couple of games I've watched this year.

It's not that big of a deal. The Raptors took their actual playing court from ScotiaBank Place to play on, along with their championship banner to hang in the rafters in the Tampa arena. They've embraced Tampa for this season, but it's only going to be one season.

And if you think it's because there's some implied believe that the Raptors will move to Tampa full-time, keep in mind they're owned by MLSE, which is 75% owned by Canada's two biggest telecom giants and the other 25% is owned by Larry Tanenbaum, who's spent a long time trying to expand sports in Canada. There's a better chance that the entire city of Winnipeg is moved to Tampa than there is of the Raptors continuing to play there when they're allowed to return home.
    I don't think much about anything on this, just wondering about the motives of another member. The Tampa thing is perfectly fine. As you full well understand, Canada has a different plan of attack with regard to the pandemic, and they are dong the correct thing by honouring the standards that have been set, while allowing the team to play the season. Same goes with The Jays. But you know this stuff. And The NHL finished last season in a bubble chosen to be Toronto and Edmonton (primarily due to decent covid results at the time and other rulings), which was very successful. Based on that logic, I guess we should have had a few laughs and called all the US teams either Toronto or Edmonton.

Further, The NHL did a major divisional shift, to include a Canadian division (as you know), for the 2021 season. Huge maneuver, but it's working fairly well, other than some postponed games (I believe they were all in The US). But this effort and discipline has been effectively allowing the year to go on. Covid is still very much part of our lives.

So nothing to really think about...other than a suspicion I have about the motives of another member. One can read between lines. Not my first rodeo with that (ie. NFL Playoff thread, which has been a thread used for several years to take over after the regular season...which also tries to keep things centered so that we do not have multiple similar threads, which helps the mods)

But sure, I guess all of The NHL teams outside of Toronto and Edmonton temporarily lost their identity, as did The NBA teams in their bubble. So funny.

Whatever....not getting the true joke here other than an obvious play with words by announcers and whoever, who have a right to do so from time to time...in fun. Most of us make such errors or have a little fun with it, innocently.

Sorry you had to explain that part, given I knew what happened. I watch both stations regularly. I know who Devlin is. Nothing surpising or shocking that one would go there....especially one who cherishes the team and the city they are from.

Anyway...how bout those Toronto Raptors of late. A weakened team from the recent past doing really well. One player away I say. (This is a basketball site, so I'll try to stick to that stuff.)
    Last edited by CanDB; 02-22-2021, 09:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

I don't think much about anything on this, just wondering about the motives of another member. The Tampa thing is perfectly fine. As you full well understand, Canada has a different plan of attack with regard to the pandemic, and they are dong the correct thing by honouring the standards that have been set, while allowing the team to play the season. Same goes with The Jays. But you know this stuff. And The NHL finished last season in a bubble chosen to be Toronto and Edmonton (primarily due to decent covid results at the time and other rulings), which was very successful. Based on that logic, I guess we should have had a few laughs and called all the US teams either Toronto or Edmonton.

Further, The NHL did a major divisional shift, to include a Canadian division (as you know), for the 2021 season. Huge maneuver, but it's working fairly well, other than some postponed games (I believe they were all in The US). But this effort and discipline has been effectively allowing the year to go on. Covid is still very much part of our lives.

So nothing to really think about...other than a suspicion I have about the motives of another member. One can read between lines. Not my first rodeo with that (ie. NFL Playoff thread, which has been a thread used for several years to take over after the regular season...which also tries to keep things centered so that we do not have multiple similar threads, which helps the mods)

But sure, I guess all of The NHL teams outside of Toronto and Edmonton temporarily lost their identity, as did The NBA teams in their bubble. So funny.

Whatever....not getting the true joke here other than an obvious play with words by announcers and whoever, who have a right to do so from time to time...in fun. Most of us make such errors or have a little fun with it, innocently.

Sorry you had to explain that part, given I knew what happened. I watch both stations regularly. I know who Devlin is. Nothing surpising or shocking that one would go there....especially one who cherishes the team and the city they are from.

Anyway...how bout those Toronto Raptors of late. A weakened team from the recent past doing really well. One player away I say. (This is a basketball site, so I'll try to stick to that stuff.)
      Personally I think they should have gone with a LA Angels like Toronto Raptors of Tampa for the season. But they didn't ask me.

And me explaining Devlin wasn't cause I didn't think you'd know who he was, cause if you watch games you know who he is. It was more just pointing out that if he was pointing fun of it (given his employment with the team and broadcasting on both stations) it's something the team is okay with. Not me being condescending in this instance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

Personally I think they should have gone with a LA Angels like Toronto Raptors of Tampa for the season. But they didn't ask me.

And me explaining Devlin wasn't cause I didn't think you'd know who he was, cause if you watch games you know who he is. It was more just pointing out that if he was pointing fun of it (given his employment with the team and broadcasting on both stations) it's something the team is okay with. Not me being condescending in this instance.
        Butler....we are on the same identical page. I would probably make light of a situation like that too. There's no harm in that.

Do you think they make a deal before season's end? Drummond sounded good, pending the price. Hate to lose Norman Powell and others, but if you want a top rebounder you have to be serious.

As for The Nets....they have a fabulous record against the top teams this year. If all 3 of the big boys are healthy, they might be tough to beat in the end.

Comment

Butler....we are on the same identical page. I would probably make light of a situation like that too. There's no harm in that.

Do you think they make a deal before season's end? Drummond sounded good, pending the price. Hate to lose Norman Powell and others, but if you want a top rebounder you have to be serious.

As for The Nets....they have a fabulous record against the top teams this year. If all 3 of the big boys are healthy, they might be tough to beat in the end.
          OK.....I'll answer the one about The Raptors. If Drummond is healthy and The Raps do not have to give up VanVleet or Siakam....and pending the number of draft picks, I'm good. I highly doubt Lowry would be part of the deal, but I could be wrong. He should finish his career in TO.

Comment

• My initial prediction is that Harden will be MVP, based on his scoring prowess but also for his ability to make plays....which is not so much about being unselfish (though some, including me at times, may see it that way), but wise. He is being more strategically about team performance, and once Durant returns and the chemistry grows, this group will be tough to beat.
            Last edited by CanDB; 02-24-2021, 09:22 AM.

Comment

• Have other teams besides the Tampa Raptors had virus issues this season?

Haven’t seen or heard much about it.

Hopefully that means it hasn’t been a big issue league wide.

I guess I don’t really care about the NBA until the post season.
              My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
              You Mad Bro?
              Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

My initial prediction is that Harden will be MVP, based on his scoring prowess but also for his ability to make plays....which is not so much about being unselfish (though some, including me at times, may see it that way), but wise. He is being more strategically about team performance, and once Durant returns and the chemistry grows, this group will be tough to beat.
                When it comes to selfishness in sports, I think media and fans alike have a viewing that isn't accurate to what selfishness actually is in sports. People like Harden, Bron, even Kobe often get called selfish, but have great assist numbers. Happens in all sports, people call Messi selfish not noticing when he's leading in goals, he's also leading or in top 3 assist and chances created.
                Sometimes the selfish thing to do is not take a shot as it can be expected for you. This is something that is happening with Mbappe at PSG, his new coach told him stop trying to create so many chances and let the team create for you. Meaning be more "selfish". Some teams want players to just be killers, as just got score.

Harden does that, he does what he is paid to do, even if viewers have an issue with how he does it.
                sigpic
                Adopted Broncos:
                EmmanuelSanders

Comment

• Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post

When it comes to selfishness in sports, I think media and fans alike have a viewing that isn't accurate to what selfishness actually is in sports. People like Harden, Bron, even Kobe often get called selfish, but have great assist numbers. Happens in all sports, people call Messi selfish not noticing when he's leading in goals, he's also leading or in top 3 assist and chances created.
                  Sometimes the selfish thing to do is not take a shot as it can be expected for you. This is something that is happening with Mbappe at PSG, his new coach told him stop trying to create so many chances and let the team create for you. Meaning be more "selfish". Some teams want players to just be killers, as just got score.

Harden does that, he does what he is paid to do, even if viewers have an issue with how he does it.
                  Well said IB! Just because some folks don't like the guy, does not mean you should dislike his game. He has been the top scorer in the league 3 times, but he has also been the top Assist getter twice, and he could make it 3 times, after this season. He is an incredible force on the court, and I love how he is doing his job in Brooklyn. They may not be the best team, but they are great against the top teams in the league! And they have hardly had all 3 studs together. If rested, they will be a contender.

Comment

Well said IB! Just because some folks don't like the guy, does not mean you should dislike his game. He has been the top scorer in the league 3 times, but he has also been the top Assist getter twice, and he could make it 3 times, after this season. He is an incredible force on the court, and I love how he is doing his job in Brooklyn. They may not be the best team, but they are great against the top teams in the league! And they have hardly had all 3 studs together. If rested, they will be a contender.
                    Its like how much he takes free throw shots. Sometimes he flops, but there are a lot of times where he is just drawing a lot of contact and that's a skill. Don't want him shooting all those free throws? Don't foul him.
                    sigpic
                    Adopted Broncos:
                    EmmanuelSanders

Comment

• Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post

Its like how much he takes free throw shots. Sometimes he flops, but there are a lot of times where he is just drawing a lot of contact and that's a skill. Don't want him shooting all those free throws? Don't foul him.
                      I may not be a big time Harden fan, but that does not stop me from respecting someone for what there are doing in support of their team. I am so impressed by the way this guy can alter his game to be a scorer and a set up player...actually, both at the same time! Amazing talent!

Comment

• It's absurd to me that James Harden takes half of his shots from beyond the three point line, and shoots more free throws than Michael Jordan. That said, he bailed Durant and Irving out big time. That was a train wreck waiting to happen before Harden got there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
                          It's absurd to me that James Harden takes half of his shots from beyond the three point line, and shoots more free throws than Michael Jordan. That said, he bailed Durant and Irving out big time. That was a train wreck waiting to happen before Harden got there.
                          Not sure about the details, but he had a seriously good triple double last night...30/14/15!

Comment

• Geez....Raptors about to postpone 2 games in a row....too bad they aren't playing AT HOME in Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                            X