NBA Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
    It's not a bushleague strategy. If teams don't like it the idiot players like Howard and Jordan need to learn how to shoot them.

They are called Free throws for a reason. They aren't difficult. It's embarrassing that these guys can get to this level and shoot 20% with no pressure and no one guarding them. I don't care if they aren't shooters.

Don't blame the teams fouling. Blame the lazy players who stink at shooting. All you have to do is boost to 70% which is still not great and they'll stop fouling.
    it's bushleague and slows the game down and makes the game unbearable to watch. And it goes both ways, you say get better at free throws, how about coaches get better defensive strategies, or opposing defenders learn how to actually play good defense and defend those bigs. Hopefully the league addresses this in the offseason.

Comment

• Originally posted by ELWAY421 View Post
      In that series, Houston played some of the most careless, unorganized basketball I've seen all year. How many turnovers did Harden have last night? I stopped counting at like 13, lol.
      Yeah, you can't turn the ball over against GS. Thankfully, we'll have LBJ dominating the ball instead of Harden. Houston turns the ball over more than Cleveland does, but not by a whole lot. It's something like a 3topg difference in the playoffs. So, there's something to be said about that GS defense. Cleveland has more quality perimeter shooters than Houston as well. That should help in that regard.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
        it's bushleague and slows the game down and makes the game unbearable to watch. And it goes both ways, you say get better at free throws, how about coaches get better defensive strategies, or opposing defenders learn how to actually play good defense and defend those bigs. Hopefully the league addresses this in the offseason.
        I'm not even going to begin to address how wrong this is
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by ELWAY421 View Post
          In that series, Houston played some of the most careless, unorganized basketball I've seen all year. How many turnovers did Harden have last night? I stopped counting at like 13, lol.
          Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
          Yeah, you can't turn the ball over against GS. Thankfully, we'll have LBJ dominating the ball instead of Harden. Houston turns the ball over more than Cleveland does, but not by a whole lot. It's something like a 3topg difference in the playoffs. So, there's something to be said about that GS defense. Cleveland has more quality perimeter shooters than Houston as well. That should help in that regard.
          Houston had no business being in the Western Conference finals. They were able to take advantage of one of the biggest choke jobs ever from a team who also refuses to play defense.

So it's not hard to believe the Cavs will be a drastic difference for GS.

That being said it doesn't mean GS hasn't dealt with this before. Cavs are no different than Memphis on defense. Just worse offensively. And through 3 games it looked like they would expose GS. But Kerr made great adjustments and it was a wrap after that. So I do believe GS can adjust to the Cavs style.

All I know is 7 days is a long time to wait with no basketball.
          sigpic

Comment

I'm not even going to begin to address how wrong this is
            What, because you know you can't legitimately say it's a sound strategy?

Comment

What, because you know you can't legitimately say it's a sound strategy?
              Because it's ludicrous to act like a defense shouldn't take the technique that has the highest chance to prevent points. And I'm sick and tired of people like Van Gundy acting like it isn't genius just because it's boring to watch.

The defenses job is to keep points off the board. And there is strategy involved because you can't foul out your whole team. When you don't have a big that can match up with Howard then your highest odds of limiting him is to put him on the free throw line. That's why teams did it to Shaq. Because he was unstoppable in the paint.

The real issue here is these lazy athletes today not taking their time to make a simple free throw. You want it to stop, then blame them not the defenses who use it. I agree it's boring as all get out. But I don't blame anyone but Howard, Josh Smith and Jordan for this debacle.

Kevin McHale was bashing the strategy but then he was using it like crazy against Jordan. You do what you have to do to prevent points. Plain and simple.

This strategy has been around for over a decade. How can you act like it's bushleague if it's been happening that long in the NBA?

You know why this strategy is never used on bigs like Duncan and Garnett? Because they are disciplined and good free throw shooters. So teams don't do it to them.
              Last edited by DenverBlood; 05-28-2015, 09:43 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

Because it's ludicrous to act like a defense shouldn't take the technique that has the highest chance to prevent points. And I'm sick and tired of people like Van Gundy acting like it isn't genius just because it's boring to watch.

The defenses job is to keep points off the board. And there is strategy involved because you can't foul out your whole team. When you don't have a big that can match up with Howard then your highest odds of limiting him is to put him on the free throw line. That's why teams did it to Shaq. Because he was unstoppable in the paint.

The real issue here is these lazy athletes today not taking their time to make a simple free throw. You want it to stop, then blame them not the defenses who use it. I agree it's boring as all get out. But I don't blame anyone but Howard, Josh Smith and Jordan for this debacle.

Kevin McHale was bashing the strategy but then he was using it like crazy against Jordan. You do what you have to do to prevent points. Plain and simple.

This strategy has been around for over a decade. How can you act like it's bushleague if it's been happening that long in the NBA?

You know why this strategy is never used on bigs like Duncan and Garnett? Because they are disciplined and good free throw shooters. So teams don't do it to them.
                Having Howard throwing it in after a bucket and fouling him in the backcourt immediately is an intentional foul and should be treated as much. Give them 2 shots and the ball, then we'll see how much they use that strategy. Again, you say get better at shooting free throws, I say play better defense.

Comment

Having Howard throwing it in after a bucket and fouling him in the backcourt immediately is an intentional foul and should be treated as much. Give them 2 shots and the ball, then we'll see how much they use that strategy. Again, you say get better at shooting free throws, I say play better defense.
                  You are comparing apples to oranges.

Golden st only played bad defense 1 game all series. Only allowed over 100 points to Houston twice out of the 5 games. And the 106 they still won. But they still used the strategy.

I say fouling a bad shooter is a form of defense.

But it's also not as plain black and white as you like to act like it is. There is a reason guys like Howard are considered elite bigs. Because not many people can stop them on the boards. It has nothing to do with playing better defense. It has everything to do with taking full advantage of an opponents weakness.

Again you act like they are fouling Howard on every possession all game. That's obviously not possible because the entire team would foul out. They are playing defense for a majority of the game. But then taking advantage of a weakness at a key time to either maintain a lead or come from behind.

Intentionally fouling at the end of a game to rally back has been a part of NBA and NCAA basketball for decades. Which is why it's insane for you to call it bush league.

And again you mentioned it should be called as intentional fouling and given 2 free throws plus possession. So again to me your complaint is with the NBA officials not defenses. The rule is set in place to avoid intentional fouling all game. If the refs choose not to enforce it how is that the defenses fault? Refs start enforcing the rules you'll see defenses stop doing it.

But again you have not shown me 1 legitimate reason to believe the blame lies on defenses and not someone else.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Bulls fire Tibs

"BREAKING: Bulls fire head coach Tom Thibodeau. He went 255-139 in 5 seasons with the team. http://t.co/e52NEkxJXE"
                    What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                    I don't know and I don't care

Comment

• Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
                      Bulls fire Tibs

"BREAKING: Bulls fire head coach Tom Thibodeau. He went 255-139 in 5 seasons with the team. http://t.co/e52NEkxJXE"
                      Been hearing he was gone one way or another. I'd like to know who they think they can get to do a better job?

Comment

You are comparing apples to oranges.

Golden st only played bad defense 1 game all series. Only allowed over 100 points to Houston twice out of the 5 games. And the 106 they still won. But they still used the strategy.

I say fouling a bad shooter is a form of defense.

But it's also not as plain black and white as you like to act like it is. There is a reason guys like Howard are considered elite bigs. Because not many people can stop them on the boards. It has nothing to do with playing better defense. It has everything to do with taking full advantage of an opponents weakness.

Again you act like they are fouling Howard on every possession all game. That's obviously not possible because the entire team would foul out. They are playing defense for a majority of the game. But then taking advantage of a weakness at a key time to either maintain a lead or come from behind.

Intentionally fouling at the end of a game to rally back has been a part of NBA and NCAA basketball for decades. Which is why it's insane for you to call it bush league.

And again you mentioned it should be called as intentional fouling and given 2 free throws plus possession. So again to me your complaint is with the NBA officials not defenses. The rule is set in place to avoid intentional fouling all game. If the refs choose not to enforce it how is that the defenses fault? Refs start enforcing the rules you'll see defenses stop doing it.

But again you have not shown me 1 legitimate reason to believe the blame lies on defenses and not someone else.
                        Because defenses are fouling intentionally away from the ball when a player isn't even involved in the flow. Coaches know this glitch benefits them. The league should look at this this offseason and make coaches have better gameplans.

And stealing signs in baseball has been going on forever as well, is that not bushleague? Just because it has been happening for a decade or more doesn't make it right for the game.

Comment

• Cp bet on series? I have Warriors
                          sigpic

Comment

Bulls fire Tibs

Originally posted by ELWAY421 View Post
                            Been hearing he was gone one way or another. I'd like to know who they think they can get to do a better job?
                            I know Orangecrush isn't a fan. But since we can't get Scott Brooks I say make it happen Nuggets.

Also why I said to HUMCALC all the time that I was uninterested in the Nuggets trading for him. Because now they can have him without giving anything up.
                            sigpic

Comment

Bulls fire Tibs

Go Nugs. Do it! This would provide some stability at that position this franchise sorely lacks. Hopefully they already have him on a G6 to Denver.

Comment

I know Orangecrush isn't a fan. But since we can't get Scott Brooks I say make it happen Nuggets.

Also why I said to HUMCALC all the time that I was uninterested in the Nuggets trading for him. Because now they can have him without giving anything up.
                                Speculation is he's going to the Pelicans.

Originally posted by 58_VONDOOM_92 View Post
                                Cp bet on series? I have Warriors
                                Absolutely.

Comment

Working...
                                X