NHL/NHLPA contract talks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHL/NHLPA contract talks.

I know there are a few hockey fans out there...

Have you guys (and girls) seen the NHL's first offer

RDS.ca posted details of the proposal, including a reduction of players' hockey-related revenues from 57 per cent to 46 per cent.

Renaud Lavoie, a journalist with RDS, also reports that players would need to wait 10 seasons before becoming unrestricted free agents and that contracts would be limited to a maximum of five years.

The RDS story also says that the NHL's proposal would bring an end to salary arbitration and that entry-level contracts would be five years instead of three as they are under the current CBA.

Larry Brooks of the New York Post also tweeted that the NHL's proposal would eliminate signing bonuses on future contracts and mandate that all future deals have an equal value for every year of the contract.
    Article

YIKES.. is all I can say... I have a rather bad feeling about the season starting on time this year...

some of the leagues demands are insane...10 years to be a UFA?!?!?! 5 year entry level contracts?!? Bettman is playing some hardball

They just had a lock out like 7 years ago. They are at it again? Wow. And I haven't watched much hockey at all since the previous lock out.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
      They just had a lock out like 7 years ago. They are at it again? Wow. And I haven't watched much hockey at all since the previous lock out.
      Much like baseball was in Canada after their last labour stoppage... I imagine hockey is like in many areas of the states..

Kind of crazy... and the demands the league is making sigh...

Gary Bettman is the single most hated man in Canada. Seriously.

Comment

He can demand all he wants, but it's gonna take a equal agreement to get a deal done. How about 4yrs for a entry level and 5yrs for UFA? That surely doesn't sound bad.
        sigpic
        Adopted Broncos:
        EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
          He can demand all he wants, but it's gonna take a equal agreement to get a deal done. How about 4yrs for a entry level and 5yrs for UFA? That surely doesn't sound bad.
          well obviously... still some pretty strong demands coming from the league... and most of the major hockey insiders are pretty pessimistic about the season starting on time. It will be interesting to see the counter offer and see how far apart that they are.

Comment

Ten years to become unrestricted??? I don't know how long the average hockey career is, but I'd imagine that rules out unrestricted free agency for a good chunk of players in the league... A maximum of 5 year contract is dumb too... I understand wanting to get rid of the 14 year contracts and what not, but still... Honestly, the NHL was just beginning to gain some traction with me as a fan after the lost season, another lockout is the last thing they want.
            :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
            Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Frenchy180 View Post
              Ten years to become unrestricted??? I don't know how long the average hockey career is, but I'd imagine that rules out unrestricted free agency for a good chunk of players in the league... A maximum of 5 year contract is dumb too... I understand wanting to get rid of the 14 year contracts and what not, but still... Honestly, the NHL was just beginning to gain some traction with me as a fan after the lost season, another lockout is the last thing they want.
              Though I agree on the need to address the 'kovalchuck' esque contracts and cap circumvention type long term deals people have been putting in place the 5 year cap seems silly... a lot of the demands seem crazy to me.

It will be interesting to see how things end up... sigh... I really hope they take note on the nfl and manage a long term deal.

Comment

Any updates?
                :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
                Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

They had a meeting for a few hours today that was 'cordial' and uh the league is waiting for the players reply to their proposal I think they said they are 'giving it a very hard look'

side note..

The Philadelphia Flyers have signed defenceman Shea Weber to a 14-year offer sheet worth upwards of $100 million. The Nashville Predators have seven days to match the offer if they wish to retain Weber's

yowzahs...

that's gonna be something like 3 1st round compensatory picks.

Comment

My reaction to someone finally signing an offer sheet...

Comment

Supposedly it would 4 1's.

Also, since they lost Suter, they would have to match this, right?

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                        Supposedly it would 4 1's.

Also, since they lost Suter, they would have to match this, right?
                        They are beyond insane if they don't match it.

and yeah it would be 4 1sts ... my math was off... regardless..
                        losing suter... and weber... that's unreal. thats like the broncos losing Champ and Von on defense..
                        just gross. and both in the primes of their careers..

really Philly should have technically made Nashville's job easy...

Though apparently the kicker is all the upfront money.. which is I guess what nashville wanted to avoid? there's 25+ mill in the first calendar year. at least according so far to the interwebs
                        Last edited by Remedy; 07-18-2012, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Remedy View Post
                          They are beyond insane if they don't match it.

and yeah it would be 4 1sts ... my math was off... regardless..
                          losing suter... and weber... that's unreal. thats like the broncos losing Champ and Von on defense..
                          just gross. and both in the primes of their careers..

really Philly should have technically made Nashville's job easy...

Though apparently the kicker is all the upfront money.. which is I guess what nashville wanted to avoid? there's 25+ mill in the first calendar year. at least according so far to the interwebs
                          Yeah, seems like a no-brainer, can't lose both of your top players.

While that is a lot of money, they have to match especially with Suter gone. I've seen it could go either way, but we'll see, hopefully they match.

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                            Yeah, seems like a no-brainer, can't lose both of your top players.

While that is a lot of money, they have to match especially with Suter gone. I've seen it could go either way, but we'll see, hopefully they match.
                            Still shocked... offer sheets don't happen very often... and to such a big player.

Comment

Edit: I see it was already posted nevermind.

That Weber contract is nuts. 14yrs?
                              sigpic
                              Adopted Broncos:
                              EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Working...
                              X